Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Military Personnel Should Be Tolerated, not Celebrated!

+10
no stress
Markle
Joanimaroni
PBulldog2
VectorMan
2seaoat
Watcher
Hospital Bob
TEOTWAWKI
Wordslinger
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Nekochan wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Most military people don't want to go to war. But regardless of why they join, the agreement is that they will go wherever the military sends them. If they don't go where the military sends them, they will be tried for AWOL and sent to prison. And that is a commitment and sacrifice that policemen and firemen and other civilians do not make.

They're not sent to prison.They're kicked out w/ a bad discharge now days.

Yes, some do go to prison and at the very least, they have a dishonorable discharge on their record for life. This record follows them for every job application they have.

Any civilian (policeman, fireman, teacher, accountant, doctor, manager, etc) can quit their job at any time and not face a prison sentence and a dishonorable discharge. But that is exactly what a military person faces if they decide that they don't really want to deploy to Afghanistan or wherever...and they go AWOL.

AWOL soldier sentenced to 10 months

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007-02-23/news/0702230391_1_desertion-military-judge-resisters

Neko, you need to get out of the last century. There is not any questions on a job application that asks about military service. It's not an issue and not on your credit report either. Very few people go to prison for awol anymore.
When you go for a job interview and the interviewer asks you: what have you done for the last 4 years...it's an issue. And if you try to get a government job, it's an issue.

No, it's not. I don't believe they can even ask you or would what kind of discharge you got. The ADA forbids asking any questions that relate to a disability and asking about a discharge could put an employer on risky ground .They just don't ask those questions.

http://www.dd214.us/dd214andjobs.html

Your DD214 and Veterans' Employment Opportunities

"Service members transitioning from the military today are some of the most educated, technically savvy, professionally qualified the armed forces have ever produced," says Willie Hensley, deputy assistant secretary for human resources management and labor relations for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Soldiers receive training in areas such as engineering, health care, information technology and security.

Generally, employers will ask those claiming prior military service to provide a copy of their discharge form, DD214. While most employers are not permitted to disqualify applicants for a less than honorable discharge, the DD214 will disclose all of the veteran's military schools and training, as well awards and commendations.

Employers and others needing proof of military service are expected to accept the information shown on documents issued by the military service department at the time a service member is separated. Employers can only verify military service through a DD214. For that reason, they will generally request an “undeleted certified copy.”

Certification is accomplished by the adding of a seal by the repository where your DD214 is located and from where it was retrieved. Of course through credit verification, address verification and reference checks employers can easily determine if a falsified or forged DD214 has been tendered. But overall, the DD214 itself is the main source of military service verification.

What is the difference between the long-form ("an undeleted Report of Separation") and short-form ("a deleted Form of Separation") DD214?

There are two versions of the DD Form 214, usually referred to simply as "short" (edited or deleted) copies and "long" (unedited or undeleted) copies. The edited or "short" copy omits a great deal of information, chiefly the characterization of service and reason for discharge, thus the unedited or undeleted copy is generally desired by employers

Service members receive two copies of the DD-214 when they are discharged - a short form and a long form. The long form includes the narrative reason for discharge, the discharge characterization, the three-letter or three-number discharge code corresponding to the reason for discharge, and a reenlistment code. This information is not included on the short form. Essentially, the DD214 long form specifies the person's reason for leaving and quality of service (the "grade" of discharge). Reasons for leaving include completion of term of service; homosexuality; medical disability; hardship; and conscientious objection. When people speak of "bad" and "good" discharges they are usually referring in general terms to the grade of discharge.

Many civilian employers are aware of the long form, including discharge code designations, and may ask for a copy during the hiring process. If applying for a government position, either municipal, state or federal, veterans should expect to be asked to provide a copy of their DD-214. Many state licensing authorities, such as nursing, medicine or bar examiners, may also ask for a copy when an applicant seeks a license to practice their profession.

There are five "grades" of discharge: Honorable; General (Under Honorable Conditions); Other Than Honorable; Bad Conduct; and Dishonorable. The first three are given without a judicial process; the last two are the outcome of conviction by trial ("courts martial").

However, employers may tend to disregard the distinction between the administrative discharge and discharges resulting from courts-martial. As a consequence, any discharge except an honorable one can be the ticket to a lifetime of rejected job applications. It can be argued that this situation is not accidental: the DOD has intentionally linked discharge status to future employment as an incentive to good behavior while in the service.

Even on an Honorable discharge, a "Spin Code" (SPN - Separation Program Number) can hurt a veteran's chance of being hired by a prospective employer. These spin codes were put on DD214s from the 1940's through the early 1970's. Veterans can request a new DD 214 with the spin codes removed (see below).

SPN codes are frequently assigned on the basis of subjective judgments which are difficult for the dischargee to challenge. Until recently, the codes had different meanings in each branch of service, and they have been changed several times, leaving them prone to misinterpretation by employers not possessing the proper key. Although employers are not supposed to know what the SPN codes mean, many have found out as a result of leaks from the agencies authorized to have them.

Examples of a few spin codes:

SPN 258 - Unfitness, multiple reasons
SPN 263 – Bed-wetter
SPN 41A - Apathy, lack of interest
SPN 41E – Obesity
SPN 46C - Apathy / Obesity
SPN 463 - Paranoid personality
(see a more thorough list of spin codes, courtesy Touchstone Research, HERE.)

(Your service branch will also indicate a reenlistment code on your DD214. This information, too, can help or hurt a veteran in their job search. See a list of Military Reenlistment Codes, courtesy Touchstone Research, HERE.)

In 1974, the DOD tried to stop unfair use of SPN codes by leaving them off its forms and offering anyone discharged prior to 1974 an opportunity to get a new form DD-214 without a SPN code. This solution has several defects. For one thing, not all pre-1974 dischargees know of the reissuance program. For another, a pre-1974 DD-214 without a SPN code may raise a canny employer's suspicion that the applicant had the SPN code removed because he has something to hide.

As of 1977, nearly 20 million veterans had a coded number.

For many reasons, your DD214 will affect your post-service employment. Veterans receiving “bad” discharges may very well encounter employment problems because many employers will request to see a copy of your DD214.

I don't know where you got that from or how old it is but it is not accurate now days. If you are seeking Vet's preference on a state application , you must give a DD214 for that consideration. I deal w/ employment all the time and I can say unequivocally they do not ask that info. I will say this again-the Americans w/ Disabilities Act expressly forbids employers from asking about disabilities.The DD214 would list what type of discharge and if they got a medical and that is illegal to ask. I have never seen any application except when they have Vet's preference asking about their discharge. Even on a state application , it is an optional question and you don't have to answer it. It is untrue in my experience any employment is affected by their discharge.

riceme wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

Dreams maybe not directly, but on every job application is the part about "Education and Training". Now what military person is not going to list his military training (specially if it applies to the position he/she is seeking). I do not know enough about the laws, but I know that every application that I have dealt with has always ask if I were a vet or not.

Same here. And, I have submitted many résumés accompanied by required company applications which asked not only if the applicant was a veteran, but what their discharge status was upon separation from the armed forces.

Having been a member of many interview panels, I can tell you without any shadow of a doubt that there are businesses that will not hire (or sometimes even interview) someone who has been dishonorably discharged. I have witnessed one case in which an applicant's education, skills and abilities so well fit the role for which we were hiring that they were allowed an interview in order that they have the opportunity to explain the dishonorable discharge. None of them were ever hired in any of the experiences I was a part of.

It is illegal now days unless they are asking for Vet's preference.

http://internsover40.blogspot.com/2010/06/13-illegal-interview-questionsdo-you.html

Nekochan

Nekochan

Maybe for low level, low skill jobs it isn't asked but if a person is applying for a job that requires a security clearance (like many veterans may qualify for) the employer will likely ask the type of discharge. There are a lot of jobs where the employer has a legitimate reason to ask for the type of discharge.

Nekochan wrote:Maybe for low level, low skill jobs it isn't asked but if a person is applying for a job that requires a security clearance (like many veterans may qualify for) the employer will likely ask the type of discharge. There are a lot of jobs where the employer has a legitimate reason to ask for the type of discharge.

Not anymore.If they require a background check they can't ask for anything that would display any type of medical history.It is simply an illegal question that would discriminate against those who may have a medical disability. It is inappropriate and illegal under our current laws.

Dreamsglore wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Maybe for low level, low skill jobs it isn't asked but if a person is applying for a job that requires a security clearance (like many veterans may qualify for) the employer will likely ask the type of discharge. There are a lot of jobs where the employer has a legitimate reason to ask for the type of discharge.

Not anymore.If they require a background check they can't ask for anything that would display any type of medical history.It is simply an illegal question that would discriminate against those who may have a medical disability. It is inappropriate and illegal under our current laws.

Wrong again "Ms. Knowitall".

Dreamsglore wrote:
riceme wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

Dreams maybe not directly, but on every job application is the part about "Education and Training". Now what military person is not going to list his military training (specially if it applies to the position he/she is seeking). I do not know enough about the laws, but I know that every application that I have dealt with has always ask if I were a vet or not.

Same here. And, I have submitted many résumés accompanied by required company applications which asked not only if the applicant was a veteran, but what their discharge status was upon separation from the armed forces.

Having been a member of many interview panels, I can tell you without any shadow of a doubt that there are businesses that will not hire (or sometimes even interview) someone who has been dishonorably discharged. I have witnessed one case in which an applicant's education, skills and abilities so well fit the role for which we were hiring that they were allowed an interview in order that they have the opportunity to explain the dishonorable discharge. None of them were ever hired in any of the experiences I was a part of.

[url=http://internsover40.blogspot.com/2010/06/13-illegal-interview-questionsdo-you.html
http://internsover40.blogspot.com/2010/06/13-illegal-interview-questionsdo-you.html[/quote[/url]]

A bad conduct discharge or worse (Dishonorable) is under felony conditions. If that were true, then asking someone if they had a criminal record would also be illegal and we know that is NOT against the law.

Nekochan

Nekochan

http://www.shrm.org/TemplatesTools/hrqa/Pages/Whatquestionsmayanemployeraskaboutacandidate%E2%80%99smilitaryservice.aspx

5/31/2012

In general employers should only ask candidates questions that are job related or for which there is a business necessity.

Employers may ask questions about a veteran candidate’s military service in the same way they would ask any other candidate about their employment history, with one exception. Employers may not ask a candidate why they were discharged from the military or to see their discharge papers (DD-214) except when the employer has a bona fide occupational qualification (BFOQ) for doing so (i.e., state job veteran preference, or security clearance). A veteran’s reason for military discharge is protected by USERRA. However, employers are free to ask the veteran candidate questions about the dates of military service, duties performed, rank during service and at time of discharge, pay during service and at time of discharge, training received and work experience.

Yes, if it used as an employment experience but they cannot ask for DD214's or question military experience unless the applicant offers it.It goes w/o saying but the employer needs to be careful about what is asked as any questions specifically asking about disabilities is forbidden. They can ask whether they can perform the job but cannot even in a security clearance ask discriminating questions that would reveal any medical info. The website you offered is simply clueless as to the current laws.

Dreamsglore wrote:Yes, if it used as an employment experience but they cannot ask for DD214's or question military experience unless the applicant offers it.It goes w/o saying but the employer needs to be careful about what is asked as any questions specifically asking about disabilities is forbidden. They can ask whether they can perform the job but cannot even in a security clearance ask discriminating questions that would reveal any medical info. The website you offered is simply clueless as to the current laws.

If you LIE about your experience, why in the hades would an employer want to hire you?

Nekochan

Nekochan

This explanation, by a lawyer, is dated Feb 2012. Also, if there is a work related reason, an employer can ask if the person is able to perform certain functions that relate to the job requirements. For example, if a job requires that the employee lift 50 pounds, of course the employer can ask the prospective employee if they can lift 50 pounds.

http://www.navytimes.com/community/ask_lawyer/offduty-ask-the-lawyer-other-than-honorable-discharge-limit-veteran-job-protections-022012w/

Q. I am being separated under other-than-honorable conditions. Will this hurt my job prospects when I re-enter the civilian workforce?

A. Service members forfeit many protections and rights when they are separated under other-than-honorable conditions. So it might be worth seeking an upgraded discharge on appeal. More on that later.

One of the most important benefits they lose is their preference in the federal hiring process. Under the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act, veterans who meet certain criteria — which includes discharge under honorable conditions — are afforded extra points on their examinations for competitive service positions.

Similarly, veterans must have been separated under honorable conditions to be appointed to federal agency positions without competition under the Veterans’ Recruitment Authority.

Without the benefits of federal hiring preferences, veterans with an OTH may turn to the private sector for employment, but they may find themselves vulnerable.

The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act provides veterans employment and re-employment rights and protects them against discrimination on the basis of military service. However, service members lose their USERRA protections when they are separated under other-than-honorable conditions. This law applies to both public- and private-sector employers.

Veterans who do find work at a federal agency or contractor may have difficulty advancing their career because an OTH will make it harder for them to obtain a security clearance.

However, during the adjudication process an attorney could raise mitigating factors, such as passage of time, to convince an administrative judge the applicant is trustworthy and should be granted a clearance.

Lastly, an OTH discharge would prevent a veteran from re-entering the service. With their job options looking bleak, veterans may want to consider pursuing a discharge upgrade from a Discharge Review Board or a Board for Correction of Military Records.

Generally, as long as they were separated within the past 15 years, veterans can pursue the former by filling out an Application for Review of Discharge from the Armed Forces of the United States (DD Form 293). They can pursue the latter by filling out an Application for Correction of Military Record (DD Form 149) within “three years since the alleged error or injustice was discovered.”

Nekochan

Nekochan

Also, when you work for a company that applies for a security clearance for you, they can ask pretty much anything when they do the clearance. They will even go to your neighbors and ask them personal questions about you. They will do a full background check.

http://www.clearancejobs.com/security_clearance_faq.pdf

Yes, that is correct,Neko. They can ask whether you can lift 50 lbs. and any other job related question.They cannot ask if you have a disability. And yes, you cannot get Vet's preference if you have a bad discharge but this argument has gone from it affects your employment to one instance where it may affect your employment under a security clearance which was not the original argument.The ADA law comes from the fed. govt so it applies to all jobs.I've agreed if you use your military experience to qualify for a job you can be asked to prove that experience but if it results in a disqualification based on your DD214 which shows a medical discharge that would be against the law and an employer is held responsible for that discrimination. So the issue was-can an employer ask for your DD214 as a requirement of the job and the answer is generally "no".

Nekochan wrote:Also, when you work for a company that applies for a security clearance for you, they can ask pretty much anything when they do the clearance. They will even go to your neighbors and ask them personal questions about you. They will do a full background check.

Those are jobs w/ high clearances not the everyday jobs. My sister has one of those and they do an extensive background but it is not the norm. You were saying in general they can ask for the DD214 but now you're bringing in national security jobs. Different criteria for a reason.

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

Wrong again "Ms. Knowitall".

Check my link for illegal questions, Mr.Knowitall.

Wordslinger wrote:Don't hide behind a few acts of kindness to justify our rampant killing of thousands of innocent civilians--men, women and children-- in these unnecessary, bloody and costly orgies of death -- dealt by "freedom" fighters armed to the teeth by the greatest money-making military machine the world has ever seen. For every sweet photo you want to show of a soldier being nice to some poor slob living in a wartorn, occupied country under enforced American rule, I'll show you photos of soldiers pissing on dead bodies, showing ears they've taken, and mass graves dug by bulldozers.

Better yet, I'll show you an old woman bawling her guts out over the total loss of her family from a stray Hellfire or 105mm.

Military Personnel Should Be Tolerated, not Celebrated! - Page 6 Z

I can show articles of dirty cops or federal agents who look the other way instead of doing their job, teachers who abuse their positions for sexual favors or steal from the system, health care people who abuse their position for money or leave people to die, etc... No ones exempt from the corruption and believing the military is all corrupt is the same as saying all these other professions are just as corrupt through and through.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLOth-BuCNY

Smile

Wordslinger wrote: People who want to dedicate themselves to helping other people become doctors or join the Peace Corps, or some other voluntary NGO. They don't train how to operate a .30 mm chain gun. Reality.

Peace Corps members and doctors who stand aside and allow thousands and millions die in places like Rwanda, Bosnia, India, Pakistan, etc... because they choose to obey orders. Military members who help evacuate, build shelters, organize and/or deliver food during severe weather, etc... even though it's really not their job.

That's just as much reality.

*****SMILE*****

Smile

Bob wrote:We've got some posters who believe the military can do no wrong. And other posters who believe the military can do no right.
Just like we have posters who believe government can do no wrong and others who believe government can do no right.
We are becoming a nation of extreme views.

Military Personnel Should Be Tolerated, not Celebrated! - Page 6 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtTQUbfviwJN7rjbjUyJlvEKL0gdWdJQJkErLWedjyBL0APxeaPhLFk780rw

They are both and neither as with any profession...

*****SAD SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy8z557aK1Y

Smile

W_T_M wrote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< There's a huge difference between killing and murder. On that point I will agree. But reaching back to the days of Semitic tribal warfare in the Old Testament to justify today's "wars and rumors of wars" is too much to accept, much less consider as a viable argument. We are not Israel (the people), and the Baal worshippers are scattered amongst today's modern religions. The whole concept of God's chosen people is set aside for the time being...they (Israel the people, not the nation-state) are Lo-Ami. We are living in the Age of Grace, not under any portion of what was defined in the Old Testament as "Jewish Law". When folk reach back and try to cite that as being applicable today, they quickly become wrapped around their own axle, and only further prove they lack even rudimentary Biblical knowledge. It's a very big book with a lot of words, and folk have been misusing it to justify their actions for as long as their has been script to read or hear. Any false profit (sic) who tells us that we are condemned if we don't honor Israel (the nation-state), is a liar.
Military Personnel Should Be Tolerated, not Celebrated! - Page 6 2Q==

What makes you believe we are in any Age Of Grace?

*****SAD SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH2w6Oxx0kQ

Smile

Nekochan

Nekochan

Dreamsglore wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Also, when you work for a company that applies for a security clearance for you, they can ask pretty much anything when they do the clearance. They will even go to your neighbors and ask them personal questions about you. They will do a full background check.

Those are jobs w/ high clearances not the everyday jobs. My sister has one of those and they do an extensive background but it is not the norm. You were saying in general they can ask for the DD214 but now you're bringing in national security jobs. Different criteria for a reason.

Remember, we were actually talking about an AWOL discharge, which is a Federal CRIME! You said that the military will put them out of the service and they won't go to prison, case closed. But at the very least, they will have a dishonorable discharge. A dishonorable discharge for AWOL is not the same as a military medical discharge. It's a federal crime to be AWOL. If the employer asks the prospective employee if they agree to having a background check and the employee says "no"--well then good luck being considered for that job. If a background check is done and the dishonorable discharge for being AWOL is found....that is like being convicted of a federal crime. And good luck getting that job. A dishonorable discharge is a very serious matter and it does follow a person, for life.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:NO DUMMY YOU ARE.....THINK A SECOND WILL YA ?

We were just following orders is NO DEFENSE !!!!!!!!

Military Personnel Should Be Tolerated, not Celebrated! - Page 6 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSarx2y1htamMKIydhe00-tIwMZs-_IMs770Z9WX5Nw37CLKZws

Peace Corps, Red Cross and, UN troops, in; Rwanda, Bosnia, Cambodia, etc... ordered to stand down and observe.

Response when asked about their actions... "We were just following orders."

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BmEGm-mraE

Smile

PkrBum wrote:I don't like the word "tolerated" in the title... it is not neutral.

*****ROFLMAO*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZSWAkJ3h8E

Very Happy

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

So who's being neutral? Like I said, soldiers in today's world are a necessary evil. I'd like the world a lot better without soldiers. Without all of them.

Damaged Eagle wrote:
PkrBum wrote:I don't like the word "tolerated" in the title... it is not neutral.

*****ROFLMAO*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZSWAkJ3h8E

Very Happy

Dreamsglore wrote:

http://internsover40.blogspot.com/2010/06/13-illegal-interview-questionsdo-you.html

Maybe it is illegal, I don't know, but there are still millions of employment applications out there that still have the question on it.

Still, what about asking for the prospects "Education and Training"? As I said earlier what military person is not going to enter their military training and education?

Dreams, you keep bringing up the ADA in your posts. I thought we were talking about able-bodied ex-military individuals applying for jobs. I have reviewed several application forms from various companies and they all have this in common listed on the very last page. This application was revised by the company as of March 2012.

Education, Training and Experience:

High School:
School name: ________________________
School address:________________________
School city, state, zip:________________________________

Number of years completed: _______________
Did you graduate? [ ] Y or [ ] N
Degree / diploma earned: _______________

College / University:
School name: __________________________
School address:________________________
School city, state, zip:________________________________

Number of years completed: ________
Degree / diploma earned: __________________

Vocational School:
Name: ________________________
Address:______________________
City, state, zip:________________________________

Number of years completed: ________
Degree / diploma? : __________________

Military:
Branch: ________________________
Rank in Military:________________________
Total Years of Service: ________
Skills/duties: ________
Related details:________________________________

Last edited by Ghost_Rider1 on 11/30/2012, 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Adjust your logic, it needs revision. The purpose of all soldiers is to kill. There's nothing "corrupt" about a soldier killing. Soldiers take lives and in our armed forces, they do it for money. Reality.

Damaged Eagle wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:Don't hide behind a few acts of kindness to justify our rampant killing of thousands of innocent civilians--men, women and children-- in these unnecessary, bloody and costly orgies of death -- dealt by "freedom" fighters armed to the teeth by the greatest money-making military machine the world has ever seen. For every sweet photo you want to show of a soldier being nice to some poor slob living in a wartorn, occupied country under enforced American rule, I'll show you photos of soldiers pissing on dead bodies, showing ears they've taken, and mass graves dug by bulldozers.

Better yet, I'll show you an old woman bawling her guts out over the total loss of her family from a stray Hellfire or 105mm.

I can show articles of dirty cops or federal agents who look the other way instead of doing their job, teachers who abuse their positions for sexual favors or steal from the system, health care people who abuse their position for money or leave people to die, etc... No ones exempt from the corruption and believing the military is all corrupt is the same as saying all these other professions are just as corrupt through and through.

*****SMILE*****

Smile

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Wordslinger wrote:Adjust your logic, it needs revision. The purpose of all soldiers is to kill. There's nothing "corrupt" about a soldier killing. Soldiers take lives and in our armed forces, they do it for money. Reality.

Money is one of the reasons but there are plenty more. Patriotism, manliness (including the women because I could tell you stories about some of those who Teo and I know about), glory, wanting to accomplish something important in their lives, physicality, wanting to "see the world", and the list goes on.

Look, let's get real and stop kidding ourselves. There's always gonna be nations, nations are always going to go to war with each other, and last but not least, it's just plain old human nature that there are ALWAYS going to be a gracious plenty people to do the nations' fighting for them. It's just denial of reality to believe all that will ever end.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum