Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Military Personnel Should Be Tolerated, not Celebrated!

+10
no stress
Markle
Joanimaroni
PBulldog2
VectorMan
2seaoat
Watcher
Hospital Bob
TEOTWAWKI
Wordslinger
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 8]

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Lots of hate towards the military, but that is OK, as we don't necessarily do this job for each of you haters. We do it for the person on the left of us and the person on the right of us trying to get each and every member back home safe to their families after doing an obviously thankless job that most of the complainers didn't have the balls to do or were unwilling to do.

I'm at a community across the country right now where people actually will pay for your dinner just because you are serving in the military. It's not an infrequent event either as most of the instructors that are training me have a similar story and frequent occurences of this happening. I've never once had someone in Pensacola pick up the tab for me or my family while out eating and everyone seems to think that Pensacola supports its troops and love the military.

So, if you don't support the military I don't really care and it is your right to do so and speak out about it. You'll probably always be in the minority on this and people will probably always look at you funny. I'm sure the haters are the same people who don't know the words to the Pledge of Allegianceor the national anthem. All the hate is just going to tear you apart from the inside.

When's the last time you picked up the tab for a police officer or firefighter?

Nekochan wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Most military people don't want to go to war. But regardless of why they join, the agreement is that they will go wherever the military sends them. If they don't go where the military sends them, they will be tried for AWOL and sent to prison. And that is a commitment and sacrifice that policemen and firemen and other civilians do not make.

They're not sent to prison.They're kicked out w/ a bad discharge now days.

Yes, some do go to prison and at the very least, they have a dishonorable discharge on their record for life. This record follows them for every job application they have.

Any civilian (policeman, fireman, teacher, accountant, doctor, manager, etc) can quit their job at any time and not face a prison sentence and a dishonorable discharge. But that is exactly what a military person faces if they decide that they don't really want to deploy to Afghanistan or wherever...and they go AWOL.

AWOL soldier sentenced to 10 months

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007-02-23/news/0702230391_1_desertion-military-judge-resisters

Neko, you need to get out of the last century. There is not any questions on a job application that asks about military service. It's not an issue and not on your credit report either. Very few people go to prison for awol anymore.

Nekochan wrote:
Lurch wrote:
Bob wrote:
Nekochan wrote: I just don't think that God is going to send an ordinary soldier, sent to war by his country, to eternal damnation for fighting in a war.

What happens when the U.S Government invades and occupies Iraq and an kills the whole family of an Iraqi civilian. And because of that the Iraqi civilian joins up with the "insurgents" and fights back against the American military and kills one or more of them in the process.
Who would God blame for that and who would He want to punish for it?

They're muslims... so god don't care..

God cares for everyone. Men start wars.

That's what's been drilled in your head,Neko.You said yourself that God took sides in the bible. I can't believe you belive all that foolishness.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Dreamsglore wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Most military people don't want to go to war. But regardless of why they join, the agreement is that they will go wherever the military sends them. If they don't go where the military sends them, they will be tried for AWOL and sent to prison. And that is a commitment and sacrifice that policemen and firemen and other civilians do not make.

Yes, some do go to prison and at the very least, they have a dishonorable discharge on their record for life. This record follows them for every job application they have.

Any civilian (policeman, fireman, teacher, accountant, doctor, manager, etc) can quit their job at any time and not face a prison sentence and a dishonorable discharge. But that is exactly what a military person faces if they decide that they don't really want to deploy to Afghanistan or wherever...and they go AWOL.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007-02-23/news/0702230391_1_desertion-military-judge-resisters

Neko, you need to get out of the last century. There is not any questions on a job application that asks about military service. It's not an issue and not on your credit report either. Very few people go to prison for awol anymore.
When you go for a job interview and the interviewer asks you: what have you done for the last 4 years...it's an issue. And if you try to get a government job, it's an issue.

Dreamsglore wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Lurch wrote:
Bob wrote:
Nekochan wrote: I just don't think that God is going to send an ordinary soldier, sent to war by his country, to eternal damnation for fighting in a war.

What happens when the U.S Government invades and occupies Iraq and an kills the whole family of an Iraqi civilian. And because of that the Iraqi civilian joins up with the "insurgents" and fights back against the American military and kills one or more of them in the process.

That's what's been drilled in your head,Neko.You said yourself that God took sides in the bible. I can't believe you belive all that foolishness.

I can..

Nekochan

Nekochan

Dreamsglore wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Lurch wrote:
Bob wrote:

Dreams, I believe because I don't think we all just appeared here without any divine power. I believe because I see God in small things. I believe because of my children and family. I believe because I've felt God working in my life. I guess it is foolish to those who don't believe but I cannot imagine going through life without believing that we have a purpose and a maker.

Yes, I think that God does take sides--good vs. evil. But men start wars.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Dreamsglore wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:Lots of hate towards the military, but that is OK, as we don't necessarily do this job for each of you haters. We do it for the person on the left of us and the person on the right of us trying to get each and every member back home safe to their families after doing an obviously thankless job that most of the complainers didn't have the balls to do or were unwilling to do.

I'm at a community across the country right now where people actually will pay for your dinner just because you are serving in the military. It's not an infrequent event either as most of the instructors that are training me have a similar story and frequent occurences of this happening. I've never once had someone in Pensacola pick up the tab for me or my family while out eating and everyone seems to think that Pensacola supports its troops and love the military.

So, if you don't support the military I don't really care and it is your right to do so and speak out about it. You'll probably always be in the minority on this and people will probably always look at you funny. I'm sure the haters are the same people who don't know the words to the Pledge of Allegianceor the national anthem. All the hate is just going to tear you apart from the inside.

I did several days ago. I also take them goodies 4 or 5 times a year.

If there were in the world today any large number of people who desired their own happiness more than they desired the unhappiness of others, we could have paradise in a few years.

Bertrand Russell

Nekochan wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

When you go for a job interview and the interviewer asks you: what have you done for the last 4 years...it's an issue. And if you try to get a government job, it's an issue.

No, it's not. I don't believe they can even ask you or would what kind of discharge you got. The ADA forbids asking any questions that relate to a disability and asking about a discharge could put an employer on risky ground .They just don't ask those questions.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Dreamsglore wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

No, it's not. I don't believe they can even ask you or would what kind of discharge you got. The ADA forbids asking any questions that relate to a disability and asking about a discharge could put an employer on risky ground .They just don't ask those questions.

http://www.dd214.us/dd214andjobs.html

Your DD214 and Veterans' Employment Opportunities

"Service members transitioning from the military today are some of the most educated, technically savvy, professionally qualified the armed forces have ever produced," says Willie Hensley, deputy assistant secretary for human resources management and labor relations for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Soldiers receive training in areas such as engineering, health care, information technology and security.

Generally, employers will ask those claiming prior military service to provide a copy of their discharge form, DD214. While most employers are not permitted to disqualify applicants for a less than honorable discharge, the DD214 will disclose all of the veteran's military schools and training, as well awards and commendations.

Employers and others needing proof of military service are expected to accept the information shown on documents issued by the military service department at the time a service member is separated. Employers can only verify military service through a DD214. For that reason, they will generally request an “undeleted certified copy.”

Certification is accomplished by the adding of a seal by the repository where your DD214 is located and from where it was retrieved. Of course through credit verification, address verification and reference checks employers can easily determine if a falsified or forged DD214 has been tendered. But overall, the DD214 itself is the main source of military service verification.

What is the difference between the long-form ("an undeleted Report of Separation") and short-form ("a deleted Form of Separation") DD214?

There are two versions of the DD Form 214, usually referred to simply as "short" (edited or deleted) copies and "long" (unedited or undeleted) copies. The edited or "short" copy omits a great deal of information, chiefly the characterization of service and reason for discharge, thus the unedited or undeleted copy is generally desired by employers

Service members receive two copies of the DD-214 when they are discharged - a short form and a long form. The long form includes the narrative reason for discharge, the discharge characterization, the three-letter or three-number discharge code corresponding to the reason for discharge, and a reenlistment code. This information is not included on the short form. Essentially, the DD214 long form specifies the person's reason for leaving and quality of service (the "grade" of discharge). Reasons for leaving include completion of term of service; homosexuality; medical disability; hardship; and conscientious objection. When people speak of "bad" and "good" discharges they are usually referring in general terms to the grade of discharge.

Many civilian employers are aware of the long form, including discharge code designations, and may ask for a copy during the hiring process. If applying for a government position, either municipal, state or federal, veterans should expect to be asked to provide a copy of their DD-214. Many state licensing authorities, such as nursing, medicine or bar examiners, may also ask for a copy when an applicant seeks a license to practice their profession.

There are five "grades" of discharge: Honorable; General (Under Honorable Conditions); Other Than Honorable; Bad Conduct; and Dishonorable. The first three are given without a judicial process; the last two are the outcome of conviction by trial ("courts martial").

However, employers may tend to disregard the distinction between the administrative discharge and discharges resulting from courts-martial. As a consequence, any discharge except an honorable one can be the ticket to a lifetime of rejected job applications. It can be argued that this situation is not accidental: the DOD has intentionally linked discharge status to future employment as an incentive to good behavior while in the service.

Even on an Honorable discharge, a "Spin Code" (SPN - Separation Program Number) can hurt a veteran's chance of being hired by a prospective employer. These spin codes were put on DD214s from the 1940's through the early 1970's. Veterans can request a new DD 214 with the spin codes removed (see below).

SPN codes are frequently assigned on the basis of subjective judgments which are difficult for the dischargee to challenge. Until recently, the codes had different meanings in each branch of service, and they have been changed several times, leaving them prone to misinterpretation by employers not possessing the proper key. Although employers are not supposed to know what the SPN codes mean, many have found out as a result of leaks from the agencies authorized to have them.

Examples of a few spin codes:

SPN 258 - Unfitness, multiple reasons
SPN 263 – Bed-wetter
SPN 41A - Apathy, lack of interest
SPN 41E – Obesity
SPN 46C - Apathy / Obesity
SPN 463 - Paranoid personality
(see a more thorough list of spin codes, courtesy Touchstone Research, HERE.)

(Your service branch will also indicate a reenlistment code on your DD214. This information, too, can help or hurt a veteran in their job search. See a list of Military Reenlistment Codes, courtesy Touchstone Research, HERE.)

In 1974, the DOD tried to stop unfair use of SPN codes by leaving them off its forms and offering anyone discharged prior to 1974 an opportunity to get a new form DD-214 without a SPN code. This solution has several defects. For one thing, not all pre-1974 dischargees know of the reissuance program. For another, a pre-1974 DD-214 without a SPN code may raise a canny employer's suspicion that the applicant had the SPN code removed because he has something to hide.

As of 1977, nearly 20 million veterans had a coded number.

For many reasons, your DD214 will affect your post-service employment. Veterans receiving “bad” discharges may very well encounter employment problems because many employers will request to see a copy of your DD214.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Lurch wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Lurch wrote:
Bob wrote:

I can..

I hope your heart softens and you consider that there may be something more out there than what you can see.

Interesting about the SPN numbers. I am looking at my Original DD214 December 11,1967 and it does not have a SPN number on it. LOL I thought I would just check to see it see what number I was. I did find my DA1811( Physical and Mental status on release from active service) and it list only my Test scores (GT136) and a block saying I was not injured. Maybe other versions had it but mine doesnt. .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I wish I had known you could have got out on a SPN 263

Dreamsglore wrote:

Dreams maybe not directly, but on every job application is the part about "Education and Training". Now what military person is not going to list his military training (specially if it applies to the position he/she is seeking). I do not know enough about the laws, but I know that every application that I have dealt with has always ask if I were a vet or not.

Last edited by Ghost_Rider1 on 11/29/2012, 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

hallmarkgrad wrote:Interesting about the SPN numbers. I am looking at my Original DD214 December 11,1967 and it does not have a SPN number on it. LOL I thought I would just check to see it see what number I was. I did find my DA1811( Physical and Mental status on release from active service) and it list only my Test scores (GT136) and a block saying I was not injured. Maybe other versions had it but mine doesnt. .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I wish I had known you could have got out on a SPN 263

I looked at mine also, I have no SPN codes nor do I have a reenlistment code. There is a reenlistment code space but it was left blank. dated 12/26/76

My re-enlistment code is R5-1, I think that is back when they were doing the "Variable re-enlistment Bonus " deal. that was when you got your re-up money times the multiplier. Almost no one re-uped in my units. Those that did, most of them pissed the money away and were stuck with a lot more time.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Lurch wrote:
Bob wrote:

They're muslims... so god don't care..[/quote]

I thought he created all humans and so cares about all humans. Am I now to understand that he only created SOME humans and not others?

Besides, if he doesn't care about muslims then he must not care about the muslims who are in the U.S. Military and fighting alongside the rest.
Looks like I've got a lot to learn about this religious thing. They sure must not have taught it right in the Sunday School I went to. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Did anybody see the smoke coming out of Bill O'Reilly's ears last night when he was shouting down the atheist? That was some riveting stuff. lol
Tonight he's gonna do a sequel with the Rhode Island governor who's banned Christmas. That I gotta see. lol

Bob wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote: the FBI finds a man, stirs him up with hate propaganda, gives him a target, supplies him with dummy explosives, pays for his attack, "catches" him and then trumpets how they "saved" us again....so welcome to the 21st century, a century of American idiots.
Somehow I don't think you've convinced pacedog with this. He's gonna need at least several years worth of listening to Alex Jones first. lol

Jones is a lunatic.

Dreamsglore wrote:

About every weekend at dinner after church.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PACEDOG#1 wrote:

Jones is a lunatic.
He's just another radio evangelist like the rest. The difference is his shtick.
The rest of them evangelize against democrats. He evangelizes against the "globalists" except he pronounces the "glob" part like the movie title "The Blob" rather than like the word "globe" is pronounced.
But he's mainly just another personality cult like they are. Just another glorified disk jockey who started out spinning records and ended up spinning bullshit when all the music went to FM.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bob wrote:Did anybody see the smoke coming out of Bill O'Reilly's ears last night when he was shouting down the atheist? That was some riveting stuff. lol
Tonight he's gonna do a sequel with the Rhode Island governor who's banned Christmas. That I gotta see. lol

The Rhode Island governor banned Christmas?

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Gunz wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Gunz wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
PBulldog2 wrote:
riceme wrote:
VectorMan wrote:

Of course they should be celebrated. Many men and women died to protect your right to post this silly shit.

Goddamn right, Vector.

And, just because someone supports and celebrates our military personnel does by NO means imply that they also support and celebrate war.

Get it straight, "Wordslinger."

Double ditto!

Me too!

I'll fourth that! I celebrate anyone who would lay down his/her life for my freedom.

When has YOUR freedom EVER been in jeopardy from a foreign enemy ? Unless of course you were invading THEIR homeland.

Never , of course. Because we have a supreme military protecting our country. Haul that FEMA camp to Somolia and see how long you last without an army protecting you.

Yeah like the ARMY protected Americans at WACO....LOL you must dream in propaganda...

Military Personnel Should Be Tolerated, not Celebrated! - Page 5 Tanks110

Yep, like Kent state the national guard was protecting those kids freedom and right to speak that they murdered.

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

Dreams maybe not directly, but on every job application is the part about "Education and Training". Now what military person is not going to list his military training (specially if it applies to the position he/she is seeking). I do not know enough about the laws, but I know that every application that I have dealt with has always ask if I were a vet or not.

Same here. And, I have submitted many résumés accompanied by required company applications which asked not only if the applicant was a veteran, but what their discharge status was upon separation from the armed forces.

Having been a member of many interview panels, I can tell you without any shadow of a doubt that there are businesses that will not hire (or sometimes even interview) someone who has been dishonorably discharged. I have witnessed one case in which an applicant's education, skills and abilities so well fit the role for which we were hiring that they were allowed an interview in order that they have the opportunity to explain the dishonorable discharge. None of them were ever hired in any of the experiences I was a part of.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Finally I have found a leader that understands and honestly explains the relationship between government and power,,,

Genghis Khan announced his theory of government as follows:

“Man’s greatest good fortune is to chase and defeat his enemy, seize his total possessions, leave his married women weeping and wailing, ride his gelding, use his women as a nightshirt and support, gazing upon and kissing their rosy breasts, sucking their lips which are as sweet as the berries of their breasts.”

I don't like the word "tolerated" in the title... it is not neutral.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum