Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NBA thread

+2
Joanimaroni
boards of FL
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 10]

51NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/9/2015, 6:21 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/where-this-years-cavs-rank-among-lebrons-nba-finals-supporting-casts/

Jordan's supporting casts net him +26 on this list. LeBron's net him +11.69.

Yeah, but Jordan was more clutch! Right. Cough cough.

LeBron's current supporting cast is a -0.1 - which in Jordan fan-boy land means that if he doesn't get a ring this year LeBron "simply can't close the deal".

Right. Cough cough.

In other news...LABER FOURSE PARTISIPATION RAT IS AT A 39 YEAR HI!!!11

52NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/9/2015, 6:46 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

knothead wrote:Game 2 was another epic performance by both teams, however, it should have NEVER gone to OT . . . . refs missed two consecutive obvious hard fouls against the greatest player on the planet.
On to Game 3 Tuesday . . . . am loving this playoff more than any I remember in recent history.

There were many missed calls on both sides.

53NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/9/2015, 8:45 pm

knothead

knothead

Joanimaroni wrote:
knothead wrote:Game 2 was another epic performance by both teams, however, it should have NEVER gone to OT . . . . refs missed two consecutive obvious hard fouls against the greatest player on the planet.
On to Game 3 Tuesday . . . . am loving this playoff more than any I remember in recent history.

True joani but when they are literally hanging onto him as if in a wrestling match on a driving layup and no call . . . . . well that ain't right!

54NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/9/2015, 10:28 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

knothead wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

True joani but when they are literally hanging onto him as if in a wrestling match on a driving layup and no call . . . . . well that ain't right!

No and it's not right to intentionally throw an elbow to the face when driving to the basket.

55NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/9/2015, 11:53 pm

2seaoat

That was a great game, and James played great, but the Warriors need to get going in the first half.....they are taking this scraping team for granted a bit.  Fun game to watch, and it makes it even more enjoyable knowing what is coming.

56NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/10/2015, 8:23 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

"LeBron James sets Finals record for most points through three games"

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/06/10/lebron-james-nba-finals-scoring-record-three-games-123-points

We may very well be watching history in the making right here.  I still won't believe it until I see it, and I still feel that Golden State will eventually pull this one out.  These minutes are going to start to wear on the Cavs undermanned roster and the series schedule is set up to heavily favor the Warriors with extra days of rest each trip to the Bay area. Dellavedova had to go to the hospital last night for rehydration and Shumpert is set to get an MRI on the shoulder today. The adversity continues to pile on.

But if LeBron can somehow manage to pull this one off...the discussion is over.  

I urge everyone to go back and watch the third quarter of that game last night.  The NBA has never seen that type of domination.

57NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/10/2015, 9:08 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:That was a great game, and James played great, but the Warriors need to get going in the first half.....they are taking this scraping team for granted a bit.  Fun game to watch, and it makes it even more enjoyable knowing what is coming.

4 syllables had a great game....excellent defense on Curry. Curry needs to turn it on.

58NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/10/2015, 9:22 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

Just heard on ESPN radio that LeBron is leading all players on both teams in points, rebounds, and assists.

That has never happened in NBA finals history.

59NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/10/2015, 9:46 am

Sal

Sal

If nothing else, can we all at least agree that LeBron is the best overall basketball player currently active in the NBA?

That argument is over, right?

Taking any other position at this point just makes you look stupid.

60NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/10/2015, 9:56 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

Sal wrote:If nothing else, can we all at least agree that LeBron is the best overall basketball player currently active in the NBA?

That argument is over, right?

Taking any other position at this point just makes you look stupid.

Ahem...

2seaoat wrote:James will fail again as his individual play causes all around him consistently to fail...even handpicked super stars.  When you think of the great players and great teams in the NFL, do you think of Buffalo and Jim Kelly?  Nope.  Curry will have all the attention the next five years because he is the best basketball player I have seen in 10 years.

2seaoat wrote:Jerry West: Stephen Curry is best shooter 'I've ever seen'

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/jerry-west-stephen-curry-is-best-shooter-ive-ever-seen/ar-BBkNVXk

James will be in his shadow the last five years of his career.

61NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/10/2015, 10:39 am

2seaoat

It would be foolish to demean James and his effort.  I would still take Curry in a second next year if I had a choice between James and Curry because I believe you can build a three peat team around Curry easier than James.  However, anybody not impressed with James total commitment would be a fool.  The man is not leaving anything on the floor.   These folks get paid millions and some just never do what James is doing now.  In my mind the stats mean little because for the first time in LeBron's Career I am seeing something I have not seen in twenty years.....a player with such a burning competitive desire he is willing his team to victory.  Impressive but the sad thing is it will all be forgotten if he does not get the ring, and if he gets the ring this year........he has advanced up the ladder.

62NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/10/2015, 11:04 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

2seaoat wrote:It would be foolish to demean James and his effort.  I would still take Curry in a second next year if I had a choice between James and Curry because I believe you can build a three peat team around Curry easier than James. 

Curry currently sits on a built team.  They've been together for three years.  They have a roster advantage, coaching advantage, home court advantage.  They're essentially playing the same lineup that they have played all season.

Meanwhile, LeBron is the only man on this roster that started at the beginning of the season.  The cavs only effectively have two guys on the bench to give rest to the five starters, and LeBron is leading this series 2-1 while breaking records and making history.

What on earth are you looking at that tells you "Hmm, that guy that is getting shut down by a backup, undrafted point guard is something I could really build a 3-peat around!" while at the same time casting LeBron aside?

2seaoat wrote:In my mind the stats mean little because for the first time in LeBron's Career I am seeing something I have not seen in twenty years.....a player with such a burning competitive desire he is willing his team to victory. 

There is a common theme that I have noticed among everyone - everyone - who is a LeBron hater. They don't actually watch basketball or know anything about LeBron James.

He's been doing it his entire career.

63NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/10/2015, 11:16 am

2seaoat

You will clearly see why the most valuable player in the NBA was voted the same.   Curry could take any team in the NBA currently to the final four teams......any team, and if the Bulls had him they could win a three peat.   He has had two uncharacteristic cold shooting games.....they will win.   Who played on the Buffalo Bills the four times they lost the championship?   I do remember Don Bebee never giving up and stripping the ball from a Dallas player......but not much more.  Nor will anybody remember the Cavs team in 2015 if they do not win......the cruel reality can not be changed by wishing it away or giving a trophy to every kid on the soccer field......Big Boyz win.

64NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/10/2015, 11:49 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

2seaoat wrote:the cruel reality can not be changed by wishing it away or giving a trophy to every kid on the soccer field......Big Boyz win.

What happened to Rose when was named "MVP"?  He was eliminated from the playoffs by LeBron.   Oh, and now he's always hurt.

What happened to Durant when he was named "MVP"?  He was eliminated from the playoffs in the Western Finals as LeBron advanced to the finals.  Oh, and now he's always hurt.

What is happening to Curry during his "MVP" season?  He's getting shut down by a back-up point guard while getting a front row seat to watching LeBron put up the best Finals numbers in NBA history.  He hasn't suffered too many injuries yet though he is a frail, finesse PG who will assuredly not hold up well over the years to physical NBA minutes.

It's funny how you mention participation trophies, as the MVP has turned into somewhat of a turn-based award rather than a merit-based award.  It was Curry's turn to win MVP this year.  Have mommy pin that one to the fridge.  Whose turn will it be next year?  We need to teach fairness here.   It simply wouldn't be fair to name LeBron to 10 straight MVPs would it?  Of course not.  We need to be fair and let other little guys have a chance.

The gap between LeBron and the second best player in the NBA - whoever that is - isn't measured in inches, feet, or even miles.  It's light years.  The gap between LeBron and the next best player dwarfs the Grand Canyon.

Steph Curry is the best player on the planet. LeBron is living in his shadow. Hahahaha.

Tell me, 2seaoat, were you one of those guys who - after only one season - said "That's it! I've seen enough! RG3 is the best QB on the planet! He's better than Manning, Brady, and may just bet the greatest QB of all time!"

65NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/10/2015, 12:33 pm

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:I know basketball.  

2seaoat wrote:I would still take Curry in a second next year if I had a choice between James and Curry because I believe you can build a three peat team around Curry easier than James. 

Both of these statement cannot be true.

66NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/10/2015, 1:13 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:
2seaoat wrote:That was a great game, and James played great, but the Warriors need to get going in the first half.....they are taking this scraping team for granted a bit.  Fun game to watch, and it makes it even more enjoyable knowing what is coming.

4 syllables had a great game....excellent defense on Curry. Curry needs to turn it on.

Oh. And, Joani...it's 5 syllables.

67NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/10/2015, 1:26 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
2seaoat wrote:It would be foolish to demean James and his effort.  I would still take Curry in a second next year if I had a choice between James and Curry because I believe you can build a three peat team around Curry easier than James. 

Curry currently sits on a built team.  They've been together for three years.  They have a roster advantage, coaching advantage, home court advantage.  They're essentially playing the same lineup that they have played all season.

Meanwhile, LeBron is the only man on this roster that started at the beginning of the season.  The cavs only effectively have two guys on the bench to give rest to the five starters, and LeBron is leading this series 2-1 while breaking records and making history.

What on earth are you looking at that tells you "Hmm, that guy that is getting shut down by a backup, undrafted point guard is something I could really build a 3-peat around!" while at the same time casting LeBron aside?

2seaoat wrote:In my mind the stats mean little because for the first time in LeBron's Career I am seeing something I have not seen in twenty years.....a player with such a burning competitive desire he is willing his team to victory. 

There is a common theme that I have noticed among everyone - everyone - who is a LeBron hater.  They don't actually watch basketball or know anything about LeBron James.

The LeBron haters?  Is that everyone that does not salivate and drool when his name is mentioned. And if he is not worshipped the way you worship him ......those people don't watch or know anything about basketball?

68NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/10/2015, 2:07 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

There is a common theme that I have noticed among everyone - everyone - who is a LeBron hater.  They don't actually watch basketball or know anything about LeBron James.

The LeBron haters?  Is that everyone that does not salivate and drool when his name is mentioned. And if he is not worshipped the way you worship him ......those people don't watch or know anything about basketball?

LeBron haters are the people who come out after a historic playoff performance where LeBron leads both teams in rebounds, assists, points, and hits the game winning shot, and say things like "LeBron almost cost them the game with all of those turnovers!"  LeBron haters are the people who, as LeBron is carrying the worst roster in the modern playoff era to the finals by way of only two losses, come out of the woodwork and say things like "He will fail because he simply cannot elevate the play of the players around him."  

I wish we still had the other NBA thread as my "Baby boomers break down the Chicago/Cavs series" post was chalk full of LeBron-hater-talk.

69NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/10/2015, 2:28 pm

2seaoat

Steph Curry is the best player on the planet. LeBron is living in his shadow. Hahahaha. 
You still do not get it.  The best player wins.  He leads his team to victory.  The mailman is high up on the scoring list, yet he did not get the rings....he is not mentioned in the top ten and most reminds me the most of James.  You see some players no matter how good they are and no matter how many all stars play with them......simply cannot win the rings.   That does not mean somebody hates James to speak the simple truth.....he just cannot finish the deal.  Last year with a hall of fame shooting guard and an all star center.....you know.....the team of ages.....he could not get it done.  Exactly what I predicted.  This year he will not get it done, and instead of the team of ages we are hearing woe is me....it is miraculous that he can win with the bums around him.....the center, the backup guard, shumpert and smith are not bums.....but you have to hang your hat on something when he enters his 12th year with an anemic 166% batting average which can only get worse as he continues to play.
Mailman         0-18      .000
m. Malone      1-21      .047
Dirk                1-17     .055
Elvin Hayes   1 in 16    .062
Hakeem        1 in 18   .111
Chamberlin  2 in 14   142%
shaq            4 in 19   210
Bird             3 in 13   230% 
kobe            5 in 19   263
Duncan       5 in 18   277%
Karem          6 in 20   300%
Magic         5 in 13   385%
Jordan        6 in 13   461%
russell         11 in 13  846%

The simple truth is Bill Russell and Michael Jordan have always been in contention for the best ever with Magic, Kareem, and Kobe close behind.  Many still argue that Russell was the best ever.  Most of these players had the top scoring on the all time list so they had the stats, and you can clearly see that James will be in the Chamberlin to Duncan range on the all time great list.  Like Kareem he will get more scoring and significantly move up the point list, but unless he can string a couple three peats.......he will NEVER be mentioned in the top five NBA players ever....NEVER.......I remember as a kid everybody talked of wilt the stilt being the best ever because of his 100 points and defense.....but today he is barely considered top ten.....you deny reality.

70NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/10/2015, 2:45 pm

2seaoat

If Curry wins three championships in the next five years, people will be talking about him being the best ever.....mark my word it will happen, and like Kobe he could not get more rings......James in the next seven years will pile on his stats like the mailman did.....but top five ever.....nope.....you simply have to win and have the stats.......

I think he will have a ring in two weeks, so 1-6........2-7.......3-9.......he will potentially win three in the next five years in the range of Kobe.  Now there could be some monster trades, but the warriors are good......they can play with that young roster for the next five years and beat anything out of the east unless the Bucks get another player besides Parker.....James will be the bridesmaid once again.

71NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/10/2015, 3:40 pm

2seaoat

72NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/10/2015, 3:45 pm

2seaoat

Along those lines James getting another ring seems so far away....I thought it would be appropriate that King comment on the King......

73NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/10/2015, 4:01 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

2seaoat wrote:Steph Curry is the best player on the planet. LeBron is living in his shadow. Hahahaha. 
You still do not get it.  The best player wins.  He leads his team to victory.  The mailman is high up on the scoring list, yet he did not get the rings....he is not mentioned in the top ten and most reminds me the most of James.  You see some players no matter how good they are and no matter how many all stars play with them......simply cannot win the rings. 

No need to read beyond that.  You have absolutely no clue as to what you're talking about.  

The best player does not always win.  That is simply a fact of life in team sports.  Russell Wilson is not a better QB than Peyton Manning, for example.  And this "no matter how many all stars play with them" comment is laughable.  There again, it shows that you don't know what you're talking about.   There are no all stars playing with LeBron.  Zero.  He doesn't even have a full bench.  Why?  Because his bench is currently starting.   The previous four years he had Wade past his prime (and who sat out a third of the regular season and disappeared in the playoffs) and a constantly injured Bosh.  I posted the numbers yesterday that show us that last year's Miami team was one of the worst supporting casts in the modern playoff era.  I also gave you the numbers that show us that Jordan enjoyed some of the best supporting casts in playoff history.  But none of this matters to someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.  "Jordan was a killer!"  "LeBron doesn't have the drive that Jordan had!"

Yeah.  And rising interest rates cause inflation.  I simply can't argue with this.

Even your most recent argument that you posted there where you divide the number of rings by the number of seasons, all you're doing is repurposing the "rings" argument.  You're like Markle repurposing the LPR every way imaginable.  While you may think you're making a decent point, you're really putting the final nail in your own coffin of credibility.  All credibility is out the window.  You're repurposing an argument that you yourself have already conceded in the past is irrelevant.

Curry may very well have his first ring in two weeks, though that will not be because he is a better player than LeBron. If you simply watch the games, you can clearly see that he is not a better player than LeBron. If Curry does get a ring, it will be because he plays on a roster with 10 active players who actually play significant minutes, and all of whom would start for the opposition. The Warriors are healthy, they're the same team they have been all year, they have a better coach, and home court advantage. That is the advantage.

74NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/10/2015, 4:18 pm

2seaoat

I thought you did well in Algebra......22 players on a football team and five on a basketball court.......and you want to compare quarterbacks.....Please note that the list I have compiled were mostly the top 10 scorers in NBA history.....you ignore the rings and think Wilt is the greatest basketball player who ever lived because he scored 100 points...you focus on only stats...compare apples to apples, and you completely ignore your own logic where you have argued James is great because the other four players are not, yet you then make the converse of the argument that Wilson is not great but the team played well.......however,  great players win and have great stats.....not so great players have had great stats and not many wins, or not such great stats and lots of wins.........but they are usually the exception.....Great players have great Stats and WIN......and comparing greatness between basketball and football in regard to a QB in the last couple super bowls is clumsy at best, and in no way diminishes Lebron's failure to win Championships.  Not winning this year will be excusable.  Not winning next year will seal the deal.....he can never crack the glass ceiling of even the top five all time greats, and before Lebron's career is over Curry will pass him on rings.......and that is why without hesitation I would take Curry.....

75NBA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA thread 6/10/2015, 4:34 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

2seaoat wrote:I thought you did well in Algebra......22 players on a football team and five on a basketball court.......and you want to compare quarterbacks.....

Whoa whoa now.  Hold on.  The best player wins.  Vague, oversimplified explanations of things are always true, particularly when there is no supporting evidence on your side.  

I.  The best player always wins

II.  The Seahawks defeated the Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII

III.  Therefore, Russell Wilson is better than Peyton Manning

I. The best player always wins

II. The Spurs defeated the Heat in 2014 Finals

III. Therefore, Kawhi Leonard is better than LeBron James

This is 2seoaot logic. The outcome of team sporting contests is solely determined by which team has the better individual best player. Since Kawhi Leonard defeated LeBron in the 2014 finals, it therefore follows that Kawhi Leonard and any supporting cast could defeat LeBron and any supporting cast, because Kawhi Leonard is better and the better player always wins. That is how team sports are determined.

Cough cough.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum