Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bob....update please

+12
Lisa12
Sal
Joanimaroni
Hallmarkgard
Markle
ZVUGKTUBM
RealLindaL
Hospital Bob
dumpcare
knothead
Vikingwoman
2seaoat
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 11]

176Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/12/2016, 12:46 am

2seaoat

The thing about the twilight zone is that at no time when the flexible bronc took a biopsy......at no time did anybody tell me I had LUNG CANCER, yet you posted here you had lung cancer. Who told you that and why did they tell you that. I would slap the chit out of a person telling another scared and vulnerable person they have lung cancer without a biopsy....so my mind cannot get around the standard of care you are receiving, and I can only hope there has been some miscommunication. I think PK made an excellent recommendation and that is have somebody else come with you to listen to what the doctor is saying....you may not be hearing what he is saying and are jumping to conclusions. My wife has caught me doing the damn same thing where she commonly has to explain to me what the doctor said....she takes notes and has been right when I have been wrong.

177Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/12/2016, 12:57 am

2seaoat

you dont know about the quality of care at Sacred Heart

But I do. They are not in the top 25 in cancer care providers in America. Bob has the option within his insurance to go to a top 25 cancer center. My operation locally was done by a top 100 in heart and lung care.......they dropped the ball. I went to two top 25 centers and they have extended my life from a facility that did not have their knowledge or cutting edge understanding of the disease. Small cell lung cancer in Pensacola or Tampa is a nasty animal and the limitations on treatment are often not much different, but the wide spectrum of cancer and the cumulative knowledge required to fight that spectrum require a top hospital. However, I gave you the same advice, and never second guessed your decision. You gave me good information. Bob is not making sense, and I realize he has been blown away with finding a tumor, but I feel like I am not understanding what his surgeon has recommended and why. Your wife's success with the quality of life rectum tumor to me is a home run and absolutely should be commended because many people facing the same have not had those wonderful results. I am worried about Bob and what they are telling him, and simply do not understand who told him he had lung cancer.

178Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/12/2016, 1:04 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:The thing about the twilight zone is that at no time when the flexible bronc took a biopsy......at no time did anybody tell me I had LUNG CANCER, yet you posted here you had lung cancer.   Who told you that and why did they tell you that.   I would slap the chit out of a person telling another scared and vulnerable person they have lung cancer without a biopsy....so my mind cannot get around the standard of care you are receiving, and I can only hope there has been some miscommunication.   I think PK made an excellent recommendation and that is have somebody else come with you to listen to what the doctor is saying....you may not be hearing what he is saying and are jumping to conclusions.   My wife has caught me doing the damn same thing where she commonly has to explain to me what the doctor said....she takes notes and has been right when I have been wrong.

Seaoat,  I really didn't want to get in an argument with you but now you're really forcing me to.
No,  seaoat,  I didn't misunderstand what the doctor said and I don't need another layperson to be my interpreter.

Once again.

I went to my oncologogist to get the results of the latest CT.

He informed me about the tumor and then said he was sending me to the surgeon to get the "bronc" as you call it. 

When the surgeon came into the exam room,  he began to explain what the bronc was. 
He then told me that because of the location it would be challenging but he felt confident he could accomplish the bronc BUT "I have a better option" he said.
That's when he said "I think we should go ahead and use the da Vinci to remove the tumor and not put you through the biopsy".
Then he spent the rest of his time explaining how the da Vinci procedure would be done,  complete with drawing it out on a whiteboard.

It was plain and clear.  No biopsy UNTIL after the tissue had been removed with the wedge resection.  But then he told me IF the da vinci couldn't complete the job,  he would complete it by doing it the conventional way.
And that the da vinci would have me out of the hospital "the next day" while the conventional method was pretty much what you described.  He said "you'll be in the hospital with pain for six days".  He made no bones about the pain.

So no I don't need you or anyone else to tell me what a doctor says.  When we're talking about doing surgery on my lung,  trust me I'm paying attention to every word.

179Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/12/2016, 1:17 am

2seaoat

He told you "you have lung cancer".....Bob you need to ignore my comments if I have missed something, but someone told you that you have lung cancer because that is what you posted, and I pray it is miscommunication and the nodule or tumor is benign. Beyond that I will be traveling for a week, and please stay healthy. I will touch base on what I hope will be good news on a biopsy at Anderson. I am not trying to argue....to argue would require understanding, and I simply do not understand, but am very happy you are getting a second opinion.

180Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/12/2016, 7:43 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:He told you "you have lung cancer".....Bob you need to ignore my comments if I have missed something, but someone told you that you have lung cancer because that is what you posted

I just went back to the first post I made to the thread.  Here's what I said...

"I learned the lymphoma I was diagnosed with two years ago has now metastisized into lung cancer."

That was an off-handed remark.  Kind of like so many remarks made by so many politicians.
No one has confirmed that the tumor is cancerous.  But being that it's been two and a half years since I was diagnosed with both malignant melanoma and non-hodgkins lymphoma (specifically the CLL version),  both of which are known to metastisize to the lung,  and being that I was a smoker,  it would be very unlikely that it's not cancer.

Is it so unlikely that a portion of my lung should be removed before it's even confirmed with a biopsy, which is what the surgeon wants to do? 
That's what I'm going to Jacksonville to try to find out.

181Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/12/2016, 9:29 am

dumpcare

Now that my drugs are kicking in for my little procedure this morning I will post.

I would think that with today's advancement's that robotic surgery would be safer and less chance of infection than cracking one's chest open. I would get the 2nd opinion and if they suggest biopsy do it, if because the ct scan is more advanced today than two years ago and they say go for the surgery w/o biopsy I would also do that.

What may have been good advice 10 years ago may not be good advice today with all the advancement's. Well maybe I should quit here I'm starting to get high from the drugs.

182Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/12/2016, 10:10 am

Don't be a bogart... pass the dube dude... lol. Good luck... hope all goes well.

183Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/12/2016, 10:12 am

dumpcare

PkrBum wrote:Don't be a bogart... pass the dube dude... lol. Good luck... hope all goes well.

Thank you, I thought about the doobie but what I'm on seems to be much better, I think I could get used to this pretty fast and I have to take another in a few minutes, should be practically out of it before we get over the bridge and my wife drives so slow.

184Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/12/2016, 7:45 pm

dumpcare

Well it's been 8 hours still drugged up, figured after sleeping for 6 hours would wear it off. Took 3 2 mgs of Ativan really put me out.

Well anyway I received a vm from MD Anderson in Houston, seem's that even though they are in a blue medicare advantage plan in Texas a special letter has to be signed by the hospital and Florida Blue and it has not been signed and they in Houston at least the hospital is not in network. All the oncologists are in the network over there. I have had clients go there and it was in network.

Last edited by ppaca on 2/13/2016, 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

185Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/12/2016, 10:08 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I'm sure glad you steered me to Jax.

186Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/12/2016, 11:32 pm

knothead

knothead

ppaca, my apologies but what is up with you? You obviously had a procedure so please fill me in!

187Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/13/2016, 2:29 am

RealLindaL

ppaca wrote:Well it's been 8 hours still drugged up, figured after sleeping for 6 hours would wear it off. Tookd 3 mgs of Ativan really put me out.

Like Knothead, I have to apologize for also not knowing what's going on with you, ppaca, but wish you the best!

188Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/13/2016, 2:30 am

RealLindaL

ppaca wrote:
Well anywy I received a vm from MD Anderson in Houston, seem's that even though they are in a blue medicare advantage plan in Texas a special letter has to be signed by the hospital and Florida Blue and it has not been signed and they in Houston at least the hospital is not in network.

That makes some sense.

189Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/13/2016, 10:00 am

dumpcare

knothead wrote:ppaca, my apologies but what is up with you? You obviously had a procedure so please fill me in!

Just a cystoscopy to dialate and look at bladder. I should have had my wife go in with me this time, they gave me a shot in hip afterwards, I thought they said was antibiotic, I have no idea what it was for and it wasn't listed on receipt. I suppose I will see on EOB. Have to take antibiotics for 3 weeks which I hope can tolerate. Took them last summer and in December had c diff. They are also following a nodule on prostate, kidney stone that has been lodged 6 years on one kidney and a cyst on the other. I will have my yearly ultra sound on kidneys in June and 6 month PSA same time. He didn't feel last time I need biopsy because PSA was normal for 67 year old. Not sure I want one anyway, I listen to my clients too much that have these things done that turn into horror stories.

190Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/13/2016, 10:33 am

Best of luck ppaca.

191Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/13/2016, 11:36 am

dumpcare

Thanks Pkr. When I first got in this business and heard some of the story's  I remember thinking damn maybe I should have everything taken out now, but wasn't ready then or now to live without parts and the fun they can bring. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I think what complicates my problems is the fact I also get flareups of diverticulitis. The urologist ask me a few weeks ago if I'd considered getting rid of my lower intestine because it would make things so much easier now than later on. I said no. I guess it's hard to diagnosed anything down there because of everything involved that meets at the end, without physically ripping you up.

I am still high this morning and having problems spelling and putting sentences together.

192Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/13/2016, 12:01 pm

dumpcare

Well anyway I received a vm from MD Anderson in Houston, seem's that even though they are in a blue medicare advantage plan in Texas a special letter has to be signed by the hospital and Florida Blue and it has not been signed and they in Houston at least the hospital is not in network. All the oncologists are in the network over there. I have had clients go there and it was in network.

Had to listen to that message again now that I am almost straight again, seems it is a special letter of agreement the florida blue would sign saying it is ok to treat person and Florida Blue won't sign it. So it is out of network. She explain even though both states are in Blue Card florida doesn't want to sign.

193Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/13/2016, 12:09 pm

knothead

knothead

ppaca wrote:
knothead wrote:ppaca, my apologies but what is up with you? You obviously had a procedure so please fill me in!

Just a cystoscopy to dialate and look at bladder. I should have had my wife go in with me this time, they gave me a shot in hip afterwards, I thought they said was antibiotic, I have no idea what it was for and it wasn't listed on receipt. I suppose I will see on EOB. Have to take antibiotics for 3 weeks which I hope can tolerate. Took them last summer and in December had c diff. They are also following a nodule on prostate, kidney stone that has been lodged 6 years on one kidney and a cyst on the other. I will have my yearly ultra sound on kidneys in June and 6 month PSA same time. He didn't feel last time I need biopsy because PSA was normal for 67 year old.  Not sure I want one anyway, I listen to my clients too much that have these things done that turn into horror stories.

Thanks for filling me in . . . . . I have an orange size cyst on my right kidney that according to them is clearly benign and I too have prostate issues but the PSA remains below 3.0 so am good to go for now. Keep us posted if/when you get the green light through the minefield of insurance coverage.

194Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/13/2016, 12:36 pm

dumpcare

knothead wrote:
ppaca wrote:

Just a cystoscopy to dialate and look at bladder. I should have had my wife go in with me this time, they gave me a shot in hip afterwards, I thought they said was antibiotic, I have no idea what it was for and it wasn't listed on receipt. I suppose I will see on EOB. Have to take antibiotics for 3 weeks which I hope can tolerate. Took them last summer and in December had c diff. They are also following a nodule on prostate, kidney stone that has been lodged 6 years on one kidney and a cyst on the other. I will have my yearly ultra sound on kidneys in June and 6 month PSA same time. He didn't feel last time I need biopsy because PSA was normal for 67 year old.  Not sure I want one anyway, I listen to my clients too much that have these things done that turn into horror stories.

Seems like a lot of people have cysts on their kidney's that become nothing.

Knot have you read up on low PSA's and prostate cancer? The PSA, although they like to use it as an indicator may not be so. From reading this is when they decide whether or not you need a biopsy. I would watch out for pain in hips and dull pain in lower back. I had read an article Thursday and saved it to my email so I could tell the doctor about it and ask for his email, so doped up didn't even think about it. Anyway it seems a scientist at Birmingham in England and developed and will start further testing on being able to determine if one has prostate cancer from a pee smell test. lol So you don't have to go through a biopsy.

Thanks for filling me in . . . . . I have an orange size cyst on my right kidney that according to them is clearly benign and I too have prostate issues but the PSA remains below 3.0 so am good to go for now. Keep us posted if/when you get the green light through the minefield of insurance coverage.

195Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/13/2016, 1:04 pm

knothead

knothead

[quote="ppaca"][quote="knothead"][quote="ppaca"]

Seems like a lot of people have cysts on their kidney's that become nothing.

Knot have you read up on low PSA's and prostate cancer? The PSA, although they like to use it as an indicator may not be so. From reading this is when they decide whether or not you need a biopsy. I would watch out for pain in hips and dull pain in lower back. I had read an article Thursday and saved it to my email so I could tell the doctor about it and ask for his email, so doped up didn't even think about it. Anyway it seems a scientist at Birmingham in England and developed and will start further testing on being able to determine if one has prostate cancer from a pee smell test. lol  So you don't have to go through a biopsy.

I would watch out for pain in hips and dull pain in lower back.

Hmmmmm . . . . . . this gets my attention because I have both. Thanks much, I will try to find the article on "the Google"!

196Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/13/2016, 1:21 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

ppaca wrote:He didn't feel last time I need biopsy because PSA was normal for 67 year old.  Not sure I want one anyway....

I've had two prostate biopsies now... I can tell you they are a lot of fun!

They use this spring-loaded doohickey called  "Biopity" that shoots biopsy needles into your prostate. They do this through your anus. The doctor uses an ultrasound probe to guide the position of biopity and you get stuck 12 times total.

You have a lot of blood in your urine the next day. I get to do a third prostate biopsy near the end of 2016 as Dr. Vaughan charts the course for my prostate cancer. We are in the "fly it and watch it" mode right now.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

197Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/13/2016, 1:29 pm

knothead

knothead

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
ppaca wrote:He didn't feel last time I need biopsy because PSA was normal for 67 year old.  Not sure I want one anyway....

I've had two prostate biopsies now... I can tell you they are a lot of fun!

They use this spring-loaded doohickey called  "Biopity" that shoots biopsy needles into your prostate. They do this through your anus. The doctor uses an ultrasound probe to guide the position of biopity and you get stuck 12 times total.

You have a lot of blood in your urine the next day. I get to do a third prostate biopsy near the end of 2016 as Dr. Vaughan charts the course for my prostate cancer. We are in the "fly it and watch it" mode right now.

Sounds like an ordeal but you are being ultra responsible so keep at it.
BTW, this thread is about Bob and I apologize for introducing my own very minor medical issues . . . . . Bob's issues are quantum leaps beyond my own.

198Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/13/2016, 2:24 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

knothead wrote:
BTW, this thread is about Bob and I apologize for introducing my own very minor medical issues . . . . . Bob's issues are quantum leaps beyond my own.

This thread is for all us sick geezers to let bds and sal and the rest of the whippernappers know what it's going to be like to get old and have all these damnable health problems.  And it helps me take my mind off the up coming surgery.  So please procede.  lol

199Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/13/2016, 2:45 pm

I have to have my first colonoscopy in about ten days. Thanks for all of the cringe worthy mental images... lol.

200Bob....update please - Page 8 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/13/2016, 2:51 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

knothead wrote:Sounds like an ordeal but you are being ultra responsible so keep at it.

Very well-said, Knothead...... My issues are also minor compared to Bob's.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum