Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bob....update please

+12
Lisa12
Sal
Joanimaroni
Hallmarkgard
Markle
ZVUGKTUBM
RealLindaL
Hospital Bob
dumpcare
knothead
Vikingwoman
2seaoat
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 11]

51Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/8/2016, 8:49 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ppaca wrote:Bob, received your email. How far is that appt from your house? I can stop by about 12.45 tomorrow maybe even a little earlier. I want to go over a few things with you.

I sure look forward to that,  ppaca.  The appointment today is at 2:15 at the SH Cancer Center.  I'll leave about 1:45.  Hope you can come by.

Last edited by Bob on 2/8/2016, 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total

52Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/8/2016, 8:51 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Nueroendicrine Tumor or NET for short.  The specific medical term for my tumor is aptypical carcinoid tumor.  A carcinoid tumor and NET tumors may be non cancerous and benign.  You may find that the tumor you have is NOT cancerous.  It was no fun to be told by local pathology that you were cancer free and then three days later they are calling you four or five times to schedule immediate surgery because you have "atypical" which is the aggressive cancerous strain which they did not recognize locally.   I pray your tumor will NOT be small cell lung cancer.   Early detection can beat small cell, but it is the nasty of lung cancers.  Mine is the slow but certain of lung cancers......people can live seven or eight years with mine.

When I did the surgery, I was told my five year survival rate on a resection of the lung was 90% if it was not atypical, and 69% if it was atypical.  If it had been small cell it would be 25%.  I have now lived over 7 years and believe that the numbers and stats are dynamic because my treatment of two monthly sando shots has changed the survival rates.  I think I can make it to Christmas, so do not freak out with the C word and lungs.   It is very encouraging they caught it so small, and that you are going to the best cancer center in the region.  Retired Leo had small cell lung cancer.....he had a tough battle.  I lost my Grandfather to small cell lung cancer, and my receptionist just two years ago who worried about me every day, all the while she had cancer in her lungs.....when they found it she had a two inch tumor, she was dead a year later.  You are in a great position to win your battle.  

Thanks for all the info.

53Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/8/2016, 8:51 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement.  It's much appreciated.

54Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/8/2016, 7:48 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Seaoat's not gonna like this.  I'll be getting part of my lung removed,  and not at a cancer center,  but here locally at Sacred Heart.   And if that's not bad enough,  I'll be doing that without even a biopsy being done first.  lol

55Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/8/2016, 8:02 pm

dumpcare

Oh Bob, now you've gone and done it.

Did they tell you I'd be assisting?

56Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/8/2016, 9:55 pm

RealLindaL

Bob wrote:Seaoat's not gonna like this.  I'll be getting part of my lung removed,  and not at a cancer center,  but here locally at Sacred Heart.   And if that's not bad enough,  I'll be doing that without even a biopsy being done first.  lol

Wow, Bob,  that's some news all right.   Doubtless there are good reasons behind it all.  Care to share, for our edification and so we won't worry quite so much?

57Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/8/2016, 10:27 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I just got in and have to go out again.  But sometime tomorrow I'll try to tell the whole story with doctor's names included.  Will make it another post to this thread.  And I'll be anxious to know if seaoat would go along with it.  The surgery is schedule for early March so I still have time to back out and get a 2nd opinion.
However,  the tumor in my lung grew from a "nodule" size to one half inch in six months time.  So I don't really want to delay things with it still growing larger.

58Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/8/2016, 10:29 pm

2seaoat

A clear resection of a small tumor in the lung with clear margins can have as high as 90% five year survival.......a resection is standard procedure if they have not discovered anything else......that however requires the right scan.....knowing the difference is critical, but Bob your tumor may not even be cancerous.......but which lobe is the tumor located?

59Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/8/2016, 11:22 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Good luck, Bob. My thoughts and prayers are for you.

60Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/9/2016, 6:37 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:A clear resection of a small tumor in the lung with clear margins can have as high as 90% five year survival.......a resection is standard procedure if they have not discovered anything else......that however requires the right scan.....knowing the difference is critical, but Bob your tumor may not even be cancerous.......but which lobe is the tumor located?

I think that about describes exactly what I'm facing,  seaoat.  A resection of a small tumor in the lung.

I decided to have it done at Sacred Heart mostly because I was very impressed by the Chief of Thoracic Surgical Oncology who will be doing the surgery.
This individual...

http://www.paulchomiakmd.com/biography.html

Why will the resection be done without a biopsy first? 

Because my tumor is located near the heart.  And that poses a challenge for the bronchial biopsy.  When the heart pumps and beats,  so does the lung and the tumor.
So when the bronc procedure is used,  it's akin to hitting a moving target.

So the doctor has come up with another option.  Rather than biopsy the tumor and put me through that,  he's going to attempt to use the Da Vinci to go ahead and remove it.
And at the same time he'll be looking at lymph nodes associated with the lung to see if they're clear.
If for any reason the Da Vinci technique is not successful,  he'll then make an incision and remove the tumor the hard way.  But he's pretty confident he can make the Da Vinci robot do this.

He's had 20 years experience doing lung surgery,  and since 2004 he's also become an expert on the Da Vinci.  Plus he's one of those individuals who immediately comes across as the smartest guy in the room. 

So what do you think,  seaoat?

61Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/9/2016, 6:48 am

cool1

cool1

So sorry your going through so much Bob prayers for you - love your avatar by the way-- I offered before I will offer again if you need any help with anything let me know , I live in Pcola -not a problem at all . I need to come over here more often and check--mess--and start paying more attention to my home phone also--good luck and prayers Bob

62Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/9/2016, 6:51 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Thanks,  Cool.  And thanks again to others for your support.

63Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/9/2016, 6:52 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

By the way,  if all of this would have occurred two years ago before I had Medicare coverage,  it would absolutely put me into medical bankruptcy.

Up until that time I had a health insurance policy with Mega Health and Life.
At the end I was paying almost $400 per month for it.  But when I needed a $20,000 plus surgery,  it paid only a token amount towards that.  I'm still paying it off and will keep doing so for several more years.
I'm now going to be facing a million dollars worth of medical treatment.  If I was still in that situation with Mega Health and Life,  I would be totally wiped out financially.  There's really no question about that.

But with Medicare (actually a Medicare Advantage policy which replaces Medicare coverage),  that million dollars worth of treatment will now instead cost me about $6700 which is the max out of pocket with the insurance coverage.

64Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/9/2016, 8:00 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ppaca sent this link which gives an introduction to the da Vinci Surgical System.
It's like my life is now in the hands of a doctor playing a real-life video game and I'll go inside the video game just like Jeff Bridges did in Tron. Except to be more accurate,  the game will be going INSIDE ME.
lol

http://www.cancercenter.com/lung-cancer/da-vinci-surgical-system/

65Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/9/2016, 8:30 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The human and the robot will do a Wedge Resection.
This will explain that better...

http://www.med.nyu.edu/robotic-surgery/physicians/procedures/z-procedures-guide/robotic-surgery-lung-cancer

Here's what Dr. da Vinci looks like.  lol

Bob....update please - Page 3 Da_vin11

66Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/9/2016, 8:38 am

If you feel comfortable with the doctor and procedure, that's all that matters Bob. I think Sacred Heart has a great team of doctors and nurses. If they did not feel it was in there scope they would send you to someone else. You are in my prayers. Very Happy

67Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/9/2016, 9:23 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:If you feel comfortable with the doctor and procedure, that's all that matters Bob.  I think Sacred Heart has a great team of doctors and nurses.  If they did not feel it was in there scope they would send you to someone else.  You are in my prayers. Very Happy

You're a sweetheart for telling me that, L.

68Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/9/2016, 9:55 am

Bob wrote:
SheWrites wrote:If you feel comfortable with the doctor and procedure, that's all that matters Bob.  I think Sacred Heart has a great team of doctors and nurses.  If they did not feel it was in there scope they would send you to someone else.  You are in my prayers. Very Happy

You're a sweetheart for telling me that, L.

I believe it. I think we can second guess and worry or we can trust. Sounds like your doc knows what he's doing. So stand firm and let's get this done. You've got a whole lotta living to do!

I do believe in second opinions but I can tell you the best docs I've talked with through the years always offer that if they think something is beyond them. And those docs were my parents docs at Sacred Heart.

69Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/9/2016, 10:02 am

knothead

knothead

cheers cheers Will be thinking of you Bob!

70Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/9/2016, 10:25 am

dumpcare

I did a lot of research , who was in network and so on. There is a new MD Anderson Center in Jacksonville with 120 or 150 doctor's. They were in network, along with Moffitt and almost all oncologist's in Houston, I asked some help from some Texas agent's I know about whether MD Anderson cancer center was in network in Houston and even called the center but could never receive a definitive answer. One agent that lives in Houston has a good friend that is an attorney with stage 4 prostate cancer and tried to get into the Houston MD and there was a 3 month wait so ended up going to Baylor. I gave all these option's.

I was visiting Bob yesterday before appt and he showed me the card of the Dr whom he was seeing and I said I had heard good things about him. Bob called me after appt and was very impressed with them and while talking with Bob googled about this guy and it seems like he is an expert in robotic surgery on lungs and heart and an excellent oncologist. He is also affiliated with MD Anderson in Houston.

Bob, if you're reading this don't forget to call evolution and get a case manager.

71Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/9/2016, 10:30 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ppaca,

I called Evolution.  They said they don't actually supply the case managers and that Blue Cross does it.  They're contacting Blue Cross for me and told me I would receive a call about it today.

72Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/9/2016, 10:33 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I'm going to update this thread whenever there is any change or addition to my situation.
I hope that reading about what is happening with me will maybe be helpful someday for some of you should you have to face something this.

73Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/9/2016, 10:38 am

dumpcare

Bob wrote:ppaca,

I called Evolution.  They said they don't actually supply the case managers and that Blue Cross does it.  They're contacting Blue Cross for me and told me I would receive a call about it today.

Ok man I guess BC tells me to tell you to call evolution and then right back to BC, that is certainly some bureaucratic bs. Hell you might be called by someone over at the BC office in corporate woods across from the Hampton on Airport. Not to be confused with that ungodly blue retail store. lol

74Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/9/2016, 10:42 am

dumpcare

Oh don't forget that number for "Know before you go" to give you some idea what you're going to pay for procedure's.

75Bob....update please - Page 3 Empty Re: Bob....update please 2/9/2016, 11:32 am

knothead

knothead

ppaca, I want to express my gratitude to you for being so willingly helpful to share your expansive knowledge to assist Bob during his journey seeking a path through the bureaucratic jungle . . . . . you are obviously a damn good man! Thank you sir!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum