Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

No other way to say this.....people in Pace are challenged

+9
2seaoat
dumpcare
boards of FL
Vikingwoman
Hospital Bob
TEOTWAWKI
Lisa12
Joanimaroni
Sal
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 8]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

By the way,  if you want to still have a Morrisons meal,  you can.  There is only one Morrisons Cafeteria still in existence and it's in front of Springdale Mall in Mobile.
I ate there several years ago and had the baked stuffed fish.  It was very very good.  And a waitress told me the cooks in that Morrisons have been there forever and still use the original Morrisons recipes.
Since that meal,  whenever I'm going through Mobile at lunchtime or dinnertime,  I always go there to eat.

Bob wrote:By the way,  if you want to still have a Morrisons meal,  you can.  There is only one Morrisons Cafeteria still in existence and it's in front of Springdale Mall in Mobile.
I ate there several years ago and had the baked stuffed fish.  It was very very good.  And a waitress told me the cooks in that Morrisons have been there forever and still use the original Morrisons recipes.
Since that meal,  whenever I'm going through Mobile at lunchtime or dinnertime,  I always go there to eat.

Good to know. Thanks, Bob.

Bob wrote:Actually it wasn't where The Tin Cow is now.  I looked at a google map and The Tin Cow is near it but not in that building.  I can't remember the name of the restaurant/bar in that building now.  But it's the building on the southwest corner of Jefferson and Romana.  Across the street from where the News Journal USED to be.

The Mediterranean restaurant? Jordan Valley or some such name.  

I saw a time lapse video of the PNJ being torn down.

http://blabtv.com/news/watch-a-time-lapse-of-the-pnj-building-demolition/

I sure hope this ignites a story from Uncle Eliteoat on the reasons why and how the newspaper business has declined.  I bet he was a paperboy! Or better yet how they probably did not do the demolition in the best Eliteoat way.

Last edited by SheWrites on 11/9/2015, 10:14 am; edited 2 times in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:

Could be.  I'm old school.  All I know is American food like pizza and chinese.
Don't even know what mediterranean food is.  lol

Bob wrote:
SheWrites wrote:

Laughing

Georgio's Pizza on East Cervantes? Definitely Mediterranean.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Oh okay.  Now I understand.  I eat at Giorgos often.  But I always think of that as a "Greek" joint.
Is that what political correctness is calling Greek restaurants now, "Mediterranean"?  lol

I tell you one thing.  John Liollio called his place a greek restaurant and there has never been a better restaurant and food in Pensacola.
All you had to do is tell the waitress "I want what J.B. Hopkins gets" and it was a culinary experience you never forget.

Bob wrote:Oh okay.  Now I understand.  I eat at Giorgos often.  But I always think of that as a "Greek" joint.
Is that what political correctness is calling Greek restaurants now, "Mediterranean"?  lol

I tell you one thing.  John Liollio called his place a greek restaurant and there has never been a better restaurant and food in Pensacola.
All you had to do is tell the waitress "I want what J.B. Hopkins gets" and it was a culinary experience you never forget.

Ah, Liollios. What great dining experience. I never asked for what J.B. Hopkins got but the food I had there on two occasions was delicious. The two occasions were 1. dining with the doc I worked for and 2. a really bad date. My mom would never let me try raw oysters when I was a kid. Daddy would slurp them right down. So when I dined at Liollio's I had my first raw oyster. Wow...

Good memories today, Bob. I love Pensacola.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:

Good memories today, Bob.  I love Pensacola.

Amen,  I do too.  Regardless of what Sal says about it.  lol

Bob wrote:
SheWrites wrote:

Good memories today, Bob.  I love Pensacola.

Amen,  I do too.  Regardless of what Sal says about it.  lol

Sal has the best profile picture. I'll give him that.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

When John finally sold Liollios,  the new owners would buy it only under one condition.  That John was no longer allowed to own and operate a restaurant in Pensacola.  They even made him sign a contract agreeing to it because they knew they couldn't compete with that.    lol

Smart folks!

boards of FL

boards of FL

SheWrites wrote:
Bob wrote:
SheWrites wrote:

Laughing

Georgio's Pizza on East Cervantes?  Definitely Mediterranean.  

I don't know that Georgio's is "definitely Mediterranean".  I would simply call that a pizza place with extra options.  If I were from out of town and asked a local "Where is a good Mediterranean restaurant?" and were referred to Georgio's, I'd be very disappointing.  

Granted, they have a gyro, pita wraps, etc.  I'm not sure that is quite a enough to move them out of the "pizza joint" category and into the "Mediterranean" category.  Founaris brothers, Jordan Valley Cafe, Aegean Breeze, Niki's...those are definitely Mediterranean restaurants, and they are entirely different from Georgio's.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:  Founaris brothers, Jordan Valley Cafe, Aegean Breeze, Niki's...those are definitely Mediterranean restaurants

If I was limited to one of these retaurants and one thing on the menu,  what would you recommend?  I'll try it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

And turnabout is fair play.  I have a recommendation to give you for the best triple decker club sandwich in town.  I just had it at the Coffee Cup.
But tell them you want mayonaise on it.  And be sure they bring you some dill slices to put on it.
And substitute the french fries that come with it for grits.
This is what a club sandwich used to taste like in the old days.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:
boards of FL wrote:  Founaris brothers, Jordan Valley Cafe, Aegean Breeze, Niki's...those are definitely Mediterranean restaurants

If I was limited to one of these retaurants and one thing on the menu,  what would you recommend?  I'll try it.

None of the above are particularly amazing restaurants (3.5 out of 5 star tops). I usually keep it simple and go with a gyro sandwich and fries or the gyro plate. Any type of kebab would be good as well (you usually get rice, hummus, salad, and pita wedges with those). All of the above (except Aegean) have these dishes and they're all roughly the same (I'm not a fan of Aegean, though).

Bob, you may like Jordan Valley because then you can have them bring out a giant hookah to your table and puff away.

So to answer, I recommend Jordan Valley and get either the gyro sandwich with fries, or any kebab of your choosing.

polecat

polecat

Bob wrote:When John finally sold Liollios,  the new owners would buy it only under one condition.  That John was no longer allowed to own and operate a restaurant in Pensacola.  They even made him sign a contract agreeing to it because they knew they couldn't compete with that.    lol

Have you been to there place on P-cola beach? I had the Sagasagna

Lasagna with extra cheese, melted over pasta and covered in meat sauce.

Very good

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

bds,

Even though I grew up with greek americans from the time I was in elementary school,  I never ate a gyro sandwich until I had one from Giorgios sometime earlier this year.  And that was only because my greek friend kept getting them when I was always getting the pizza and greek salad.  I finally broke down and tried one but it wasn't for me.   I've just never been a fan of the taste of lamb or mutton in any form.

Do any of those mediterranean restaurants serve stuffed grape leaves?  My friend's mother used to make that and it was to die for.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

polecat wrote:
Bob wrote:When John finally sold Liollios,  the new owners would buy it only under one condition.  That John was no longer allowed to own and operate a restaurant in Pensacola.  They even made him sign a contract agreeing to it because they knew they couldn't compete with that.    lol

Have you been to there place on P-cola beach? I had the Sagasagna

Lasagna with extra cheese, melted over pasta and covered in meat sauce.

Very good

I did not know anybody in the Liollio family was still in the restaurant business.  But I will definitely try that.  Maybe even tonight for dinner.  Sounds delicious.
What's the name of the restaurant,  polecat?

boards of FL wrote:
SheWrites wrote:
Bob wrote:
SheWrites wrote:

Laughing

Georgio's Pizza on East Cervantes?  Definitely Mediterranean.  

I don't know that Georgio's is "definitely Mediterranean".  I would simply call that a pizza place with extra options.  If I were from out of town and asked a local "Where is a good Mediterranean restaurant?" and were referred to Georgio's, I'd be very disappointing.  

Granted, they have a gyro, pita wraps, etc.  I'm not sure that is quite a enough to move them out of the "pizza joint" category and into the "Mediterranean" category.  Founaris brothers, Jordan Valley Cafe, Aegean Breeze, Niki's...those are definitely Mediterranean restaurants, and they are entirely different from Georgio's.

Bob had stated he likes pizza.  Why not bring him in easy with a Greek pizza at Giorgios?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:

Bob had stated he likes pizza.  Why not bring him in easy with a Greek pizza at Giorgios?

I've been eating the pizza and greek salad from Giorgios for quite a while,  SheWrites,  and like it fine.  It's just the gyros I don't really have a taste for.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I should explain one thing.  The only animal flesh I can eat is beef,  pork and poultry. 
I've tried very many other meats and I just can't get into them,  not even venison. 
I know,  I'm a plebian with plebian taste buds.  lol

polecat

polecat

http://www.lillostuscangrille.com/

Check it out Bob

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The menu looks really good and I'll definitely get the Sagasanga,  polecat.  In fact most of the other items on the menu sound good too...

https://foursquare.com/v/lillos-tuscan-grill/4da0ed3f7aee5481bd6cb6fe/menu

But Lillos is spelled different from Liollios.  Unless they did a twist on the spelling it might not be the same folks.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

As SheWrites will remember,  the original Liollios was on Garden Street right near the Greek Orthodox Church.
Nothing around here before or since has ever come close to Liollios' steaks.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:bds,

Even though I grew up with greek americans from the time I was in elementary school,  I never ate a gyro sandwich until I had one from Giorgios sometime earlier this year.  And that was only because my greek friend kept getting them when I was always getting the pizza and greek salad.  I finally broke down and tried one but it wasn't for me.   I've just never been a fan of the taste of lamb or mutton in any form.

Do any of those mediterranean restaurants serve stuffed grape leaves?  My friend's mother used to make that and it was to die for.

I'm positive that Jordan Valley, Nikki's, and Founaris bros have the grape leaves. Not sure about Aegean though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum