Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The insanity of religion

+5
Markle
2seaoat
polecat
TEOTWAWKI
Vikingwoman
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 9]

201The insanity of religion - Page 9 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/28/2015, 1:06 am

Vikingwoman

Well, we're back to square one again. The crux of all this is that Oatie found a scripture he could believe in written by some man thousands of years ago and that is his faith. There doesn't have to be any evidence or lack of. If he hadn't grown up in Christianity and was indoctrinated in Muslim then he would be a Muslim. Simple stuff and not any different than I thought before.

202The insanity of religion - Page 9 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/28/2015, 8:40 am

2seaoat

Simple stuff and not any different than I thought before.

you make me always smile.....so how is the Muslim God different than the God of Matthew 6?

203The insanity of religion - Page 9 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/28/2015, 9:15 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Simple stuff and not any different than I thought before.

...so how is the Muslim God different than the God of Matthew 6?

It's the same god in all three Book Religions,  The Jewish Bible,  the Protestant Bible,  and the Koran.   That's why all together they call it  Abrahamic religion.

The point of what she was saying is,  that whichever of the three books you choose to follow depends on accident of birth.
If you're born into a Jewish family you'll adopt the Jewish Bible.  If you're born into a Protestant family you'll adopt the Protestant Bible.  And if you're born into a Muslim family you'll adopt the Koran.
You do understand that, don't you?

204The insanity of religion - Page 9 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/28/2015, 10:05 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

2seaoat wrote:The only thing that you have managed to respond to is the idea that man has (or, could have) perfect knowledge of everything.  The problem with that is that no one here has made such a claim.  In fact, I have said the exact opposite.

I am back.  The above is not my argument.  You think that Matthew 6 is just make it up as you go Christianity......you know the basis of the protestant reformation.  Let me help you.  My religious beliefs are based on scripture which was one of the main three arguments for the protestant reformation.  Its formal name was:

Sola Scriptura (by Scripture alone) was one of the watchwords of the Reformation. This doctrine maintains that Scripture, as contained in the Bible, is the only authority for the Christian in matters of faith, life and conduct. The teachings and traditions of the church are to be completely subordinate to the Scriptures. Roman Catholicism, on the other hand, holds Scripture and Tradition to be of the same inspired Deposit of Faith.

What you have argued that my make up chit as I go, is devoid of any theological understanding, or the importance of Matthew 6.  As much as this destroys your religion and paradigm that all who are Christian worship the Spahgetti monsters, it was the concept of Sola Scritura which provides the direct link with God independent of the very men you claim must guide Christian belief......you would fit in nicely during the Spanish Inquisition where your test of what a Christian is somehow in your mind is defined by the lowest intelligence of collective men doing exactly what Matthew 6 warns us to ignore.....and then you pat your self on the back and say.....ah ha........what idiocy, your strawman of the Spaghetti monster god as I have repeatedly explained apparently going over your head, could in fact be the portal to God, as could any number of other religions which seek God.

I asked you if you understood my sentence using the concept of a priori?  Because when I tell you my faith, you seem to repeatedly not get this simple concept.  God is truth and perfection, and the universe, nature, math and science are truth which God is the Apex, and this truth is revealed or discovered, or not.

I am certain you have never even taken one philosophy course either in undergraduate or graduate school because my discussion is nothing new and has been debated in degrees in philosophy for centuries, and on the old PNJ forum a poster named Requiem who was brilliant and schooled in philosophy and I would debate these very same arguments.  Kant argued that fundamental concepts of the human mind structure human experience.  You argue this human experience has not found the sky fairy. Traditional problems of metaphysics can be overcome by supposing that the agreement between reality and the concepts we use to conceive it arises not because our mental concepts have come to passively mirror reality, but because reality must conform to the human mind's active concepts to be conceivable and at all possible for us to experience.  So you ridicule as Kant argues because your mind conforms reality.  Yet, Requiem and I would debate Plato's allegory of the cave where like Kant correctly identifying that your reality must conform to your mind's active and limited concepts to be conceivable, so again....you ridicule.  However, Plato's cave the dwellers could only see shadows and never the reality.   I have argued that Matthew 6 has been a portal for Christians to find God within the Scriptures without all the baggage and without other men dictating the reality of a unitary God of truth and perfection which is the apex of the universe, nature, math, and science.  You ask this silly question, Did God create the Universe as if the literal discussions in Genesis define Christianity.  It does not.  How can that which has always been be created.  It simply is.  

Quite frankly your arguments are the eighth grade kid who in an unfiltered manner proclaims.....there is no God...prove God exists.   You believe in sky faires.   For thousands of years this discussion has been debated by the best minds in philosophy, and as easy as it is to show the absurdity of the belief system of a Clerk in Ky who is a Christian, it becomes much more difficult for the eighth grade kid to understand a prior or the minds conformity to your active and limited concepts.  I acknowledge I do not have the answer, rather I am not so foolish to limit my perception of the reality in Plato's cave to the shadows, for I have found that there are universal truths and perfection which can be seen in nature, math, and science and to the extent that I have not found the same, I find my faith in Matthew 6 to guide me, and I am at peace.  I miss Requiem.  He was brilliant.

As long as you understand your own beliefs, I guess we will have to leave it at that.  Like most religious people, you couldn't possibly be any more vague here when it is time to discuss details.  

I attributed to you the idea that god created the universe - not an unreasonable assumption to assign to someone who self identifies as christian.  You basically said "I never said that!".  So I asked you if the alternative was true.  "I never said that either!"   I quoted a part of the bible and you basically said "I never said I subscribe to the bible!", and now you're saying "The bible is the end all connection to god!". OK then. I'll just assume you know what your own beliefs are and will give up on the idea of having you clearly explain them.

The flying spaghetti monster is not a strawman argument.  I mention the flying spaghetti monster because I was hoping you would be able to explain to me the difference between your god and the flying spaghetti monster (or the tens of thousands of other gods that man has created).  You either won't or can't do that.  Yes, the spaghetti monster is nonsense.  My question to you was how is that any different from the proposition of your religion?  What is present in your religion that makes it appear more likely to you that isn't present in the flying spaghetti monster? We will never know. Actually, you did try to answer that one at least. 1+1=2. Perfect harmony. Unitary truth. Therefore, god. Did I leave anything out there or is that it?

And in all of the above, you still haven't managed to address any of my posts. You basically rambled on and still never managed to directly respond to anything I said.

If that's good enough for you, then believe what you want. My beliefs are fairly well defined and I can simply state them when asked. I have no need to be incredibly vague or evasive because my belief system isn't a game of semantics and is instead grounded in reality.

205The insanity of religion - Page 9 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/28/2015, 10:10 am

Sal

Sal

I am not a religious person, but I have read the Bible from cover to cover twice.

The message of Jesus was that the Kingdom of God can only come about on Earth through non-violence and pacifism.

And, that is complete and total non-violence and pacifism even in the face of violent aggression.

That is a radical concept and nearly impossible to realize, but I respect it on its merits.

206The insanity of religion - Page 9 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/28/2015, 10:38 am

2seaoat

I attributed to you the idea that god created the universe - not an unreasonable assumption to assign to someone who self identifies as christian. You basically said "I never said that!". So I asked you if the alternative was true. "I never said that either!" I quoted a part of the bible and you basically said "I never said I subscribe to the bible!", and now you're saying "The bible is the end all connection to god!". OK then. I'll just assume you know what your own beliefs are and will give up on the idea of having you clearly explain them.
[/b

I will answer again because you did not read or understand my answer. God and the universe and that which we can perceive through our senses has always been. It is. The story of Genesis is just an after the fact explanation because like the concept of infinity, both in time and place God logically must have always existed. It is man's need for a start or ending that the concept of creation exists, but God has always been logically, and if man's perception of the same can be conveniently summarized by Genesis then that works for some, but it is illogical.

[b]I mention the flying spaghetti monster because I was hoping you would be able to explain to me the difference between your god and the flying spaghetti monster (or the tens of thousands of other gods that man has created). You either won't or can't do that.

I have answered this question. Truth and perfection are god and that the universe, nature, math and science are truth which God is the Apex. The name you call God does not change the concept, nor does the portal to reach that concept matter, for man is inherently incapable to through perception grasp all truth beyond our perceptions. You believe that it is just a matter of experience and knowledge to close that gap, but the philosophers have debated for centuries the fallacy of such a concept. So as I have answered repeatedly in this thread, that the creation of Gods within the limits of man's perception, or the selection of the portal does not change the truth. It remains, and although your religion mocks the obvious failures of logic in a particular other religion, the truth remains constant and certainly beyond your or my perception.

my belief system isn't a game of semantics and is instead grounded in reality.

That is the largest fallacy of your religion, it is limited to your experience and perception of the world as it appears. You believe your paradigm has truth and is grounded in truth, yet the philosophers have for centuries pointed out how futile your position is because you do not have the truth but simply the illusion of truth which is fine because in that finite and limited world of perception the discovery of truth and what you say is reality allows you to go to bed each night pacified that you have mastered the cave, and like a clerk in Ky both of you are certain in your beliefs. I admit no certainty other than I have not found the certainty of the clerk or your world, only the path which directly connects me to God, truth and perfection.

207The insanity of religion - Page 9 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/28/2015, 11:44 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Bob wrote:  If we apply the same thing to markle or obamasucks,  it flat out astonishes me that either of them could actually worship some book which preaches that horseshit.  

This morning I actually got to read what Markle's take on this is.  And it's even more surprising than I expected.  It's found at the bottom of this page...

https://pensacoladiscussion.forumotion.com/t21807-pope-francis-believes-government-workers-should-be-able-to-refuse-to-issue-gay-marriage-licenses

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum