Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pope Francis believes government workers should be able to refuse to issue gay marriage licenses

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015/09/pope_francis_says_government_workers_have_the_right_to_refuse_to_issue_gay_marriage_licenses.html

So all week with the visit of the most dreadful modern day Pope ever, liberals here on the board have been hailing him taking on global warming and such. Funny, there has been no bringing up of this topic lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Obamasucks wrote:http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015/09/pope_francis_says_government_workers_have_the_right_to_refuse_to_issue_gay_marriage_licenses.html

So all week with the visit of the most dreadful modern day Pope ever, liberals here on the board have been hailing him taking on global warming and such. Funny, there has been no bringing up of this topic lol

That's actually a very good observation on your part, pacedog (I'm calling you pacedog because that's a lot better handle than "obamasucks").

2seaoat

Maybe that is why the catholic Supreme Court Justices avoided his visit.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Maybe that is why the catholic Supreme Court Justices avoided his visit.

If that's the case,  then all this conflict derives from what's written in that one book we've been discussing in the 15 page thread in the general forum.  
We're still letting people who lived two thousand years ago control our lives.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

If she had a moral objection to upholding her oath of office, which was an oath to the Constitution of the United States, then she should have resigned.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Maybe that is why the catholic Supreme Court Justices avoided his visit.

If that's the case,  then all this conflict derives from what's written in that one book we've been discussing in the 15 page thread in the general forum.  
We're still letting people who lived two thousand years ago control our lives.

Please share with us which of these commandments are no longer applicable to our lives today.

Exodus 20

New American Standard Bible

The Ten Commandments

1Then God spoke all these words, saying,
2“I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

3“You shall have no other gods before Me.

4“You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. 5“You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

7“You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.

8“Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9“Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you. 11“For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.

12“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the LORD your God gives you.

13“You shall not murder.

14“You shall not commit adultery.

15“You shall not steal.

16“You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

17“You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife or his male servant or his female servant or his ox or his donkey or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Well all those "commandments" were in the Jewish Bible, markle.

But I'm so glad you asked this question,  because I've really wanted to bounce something off of you and pacedog that's found in the Christian Bible.
It's actually the words of your God himself.  And it's found in Matthew chapter 5, specifically verses 39 and 40....

39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.

What do you and pacedog think about that,  Markle?  Is that "still applicable today"? And is that what you and pacedog want people to do?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

One other question, markle. Is that the only reason you know not to murder, steal and lie? Are you telling me that if it was not put in that 3400 year old chapter of some book, that you'd be out there murdering, stealing and lying?

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:Well all those "commandments" were in the Jewish Bible, markle.

But I'm so glad you asked this question,  because I've really wanted to bounce something off of you and pacedog that's found in the Christian Bible.
It's actually the words of your God himself.  And it's found in Matthew chapter 5, specifically verses 39 and 40....

39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.

What do you and pacedog think about that,  Markle?  Is that "still applicable today"?  And is that what you and pacedog want people to do?

Here Matthew is discussing the ten commandments is he not?  Specifically adultery and the remedies for such an issue.

So your point is...what exactly?

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:One other question,  markle.  Is that the only reason you know not to murder,  steal and lie?   Are you telling me that if it was not put in that 3400 year old chapter of some book,  that you'd be out there murdering,  stealing and lying?

Merely stating the obvious. That while these sins were written of thousands of years ago, they are still relevant today.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:
Bob wrote:Well all those "commandments" were in the Jewish Bible, markle.

What do you and pacedog think about that,  Markle?  Is that "still applicable today"?  And is that what you and pacedog want people to do?

Here Matthew is discussing the ten commandments is he not?  Specifically adultery and the remedies for such an issue.

So your point is...what exactly?

No,  markle.  These are not "Matthew's" words.  These are the words of Jesus of Nazareth spoken during his Sermon on the Mount.  
And no,  these verses have nothing to do with adultery.  These verses are among the most significant words Jesus ever spoke.   Because with these words,  Jesus is specifically rebuking the concept of "an eye for an eye" found in the Jewish Bible and commanding his followers to adhere to an entirely different concept...

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’
39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

If you're going to be a "Christian",  Markle,  it would be advisable for you to have some familiarity with the words Jesus spoke.  And since you mistakenly thought this was about adultery,  it's pretty obvious that you have very little knowledge of Jesus' teachings.

And do you really have to ask me "so your point is,  what exactly?"

The point is that Jesus is teaching you to do something that is completely contradictory to what you and pacedog actually believe based on so much you've both written in posts to this board.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum