Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another example of how dumb smartphones are. Maybe ya'll can explain this geek engineered insanity.

+2
knothead
Hospital Bob
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

A friend recommended the movie Blue Jasmine to me.  After watching it,  I wanted to text her my reaction.
So I typed this text message on the smartphone keyboard...

"Cate Blanchett gives a phenomenal acting performance.  It's now a tie between her and Leto"

I've been saying for a while now that Jared Leto's acting in Dallas Buyers Club "is the best acting I've ever seen".  And the point of the text message was to say I now believe Blanchett's acting equalled it.

But when I got to the word "Leto" and then hit the period key,  the smartphone edited the word and changed it to "kerosene".
I tried to correct it several times.  But each time it turned Leto into kerosene.

So then I gave up,  left it with the word "kerosene",  and added this to the end...  "I'll explain that later" (thinking later I would explained what had happened).

But I don't think she's gonna buy it.  She'll have to think I'm lying and making this up (especially when she thinks I'm a little looney anyway).  Because if the tables were turned,  I wouldn't believe it either.
I don't know why or how this thing would change the proper name "Leto" into the word "kerosense".  Does anybody?

By the way, it's a Samsung Galaxy 1 (Fascinate) running Android 3.2

knothead

knothead

No clue Bob, wish I could help my friend . . .

no stress

no stress

I have a Samsung note. Go into settings and turn off auto correct.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

On an Iphone theres a tiny x in the correction window hit that and it will skip the autocorrect.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:A friend recommended the movie Blue Jasmine to me.  After watching it,  I wanted to text her my reaction.
So I typed this text message on the smartphone keyboard...

"Cate Blanchett gives a phenomenal acting performance.  It's now a tie between her and Leto"

I've been saying for a while now that Jared Leto's acting in Dallas Buyers Club "is the best acting I've ever seen".  And the point of the text message was to say I now believe Blanchett's acting equalled it.

But when I got to the word "Leto" and then hit the period key,  the smartphone edited the word and changed it to "kerosene".
I tried to correct it several times.  But each time it turned Leto into kerosene.

So then I gave up,  left it with the word "kerosene",  and added this to the end...  "I'll explain that later" (thinking later I would explained what had happened).

But I don't think she's gonna buy it.  She'll have to think I'm lying and making this up (especially when she thinks I'm a little looney anyway).  Because if the tables were turned,  I wouldn't believe it either.
I don't know why or how this thing would change the proper name "Leto" into the word "kerosense".  Does anybody?

By the way, it's a Samsung Galaxy 1 (Fascinate) running Android 3.2

All else fails, read the instructions. Obviously the phone is smarter than the operator.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:
All else fails, read the instructions.  Obviously the phone is smarter than the operator.

I have a confession to make. The only reason I put this thread up is so ya'll would verify that the auto-correct did this without me prompting you to say it. That way when I show the thread to her she'll believe me.

But about this notion that the phone is smarter than me.
I knew how to write and spell the actor's name. The phone didn't.
And how smart can a phone be when it substitutes the word "kerosene" for a person's proper name which doesn't even begin with the same letter?
If a poster here wrote this...

"Cate Blanchett gave a phenomenal acting performance. I now think she's tied with kerosene."

... would we think that poster is smart?

Just a little tweak from a Geek to remind you, who is really in charge.
If it worked perfectly, then there would never be any reason to upgrade. Now you have all of us looking at our phones and searching for every little flaw. LOL

dumpcare

Bob wrote:
Markle wrote:
All else fails, read the instructions.  Obviously the phone is smarter than the operator.

I have a confession to make.  The only reason I put this thread up is so ya'll would verify that the auto-correct did this without me prompting you to say it.  That way when I show the thread to her she'll believe me.

But about this notion that the phone is smarter than me.  
I knew how to write and spell the actor's name.  The phone didn't.
And how smart can a phone be when it substitutes the word "kerosene" for a person's proper name which doesn't even begin with the same letter?
If a poster here wrote this...

Have you ever noticed there is only 2 poster's that repeatedly belittle's everyone? GI Joe and his want to be GI Joe brother.
"Cate Blanchett gave a phenomenal acting performance.  I now think she's tied with kerosene."

... would we think that poster is smart?

Have you ever noticed there is only 2 poster's that repeatedly belittle's everyone else? GI Joe and his want to be GI Joe brother. Family life must be a real treat.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum