Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The insanity of religion

+5
Markle
2seaoat
polecat
TEOTWAWKI
Vikingwoman
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

51The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 5:03 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

2seaoat wrote:Why do you not believe in the flying spaghetti monster?

I believe in God.  If the flying spaghetti monster is god.  I believe.  You are making centuries old circular logic arguments which make little or no sense.  You think by putting different name tags on the apex it changes the apex, or that someone who believes in one or the other portal to discover God, is foolish or superstitious.  Hardly.  Again, what we cannot empirically confirm does not deny the existence of the same.   That there is truth in nature, science, and math, and much of that truth yet discovered supports the logical conclusion that God is the truth.

There are different gods though.  Don't you believe in the christian god?  Didn't that god take the form of Jesus and then die for our sins?  I don't believe in that one.   God is the flying spaghetti monster, and he created us so that we can then create high quality spaghetti so that he can return, take that spaghetti, and then share eternity with that spaghetti.  

What I'm asking you is why do you believe in the god that visited the middle east thousands of years ago, was born of a virgin mother, and then died on the cross as opposed to my god - which created us so that we could create spaghetti?  What is it about the story behind your god and the story behind my god that makes yours more worth believing?  If you believe in one and not the other, what is present in the one that makes it worth believing that is absent in the other? 

We're not just talking about some abstract, supernatural placeholder of a word 'god' that could be the god of all religions at once.  We're not just talking about 'god' in some incredibly vague abstract sense as in "When I say 'god' I really mean the entire universe and all matter and energy with in it."  This isn't a vague game of semantics, is it?  We're talking about very specific things here when we use the term 'god', aren't we?  In my case, I'm talking about the flying spaghetti monster.  In your case, you're talking about an entity named Yahweh.

So the question is, why do you not believe in the flying spaghetti monster?  What internal thought process are you using to discard that as being the true god?

52The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 5:05 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Boards don't make me open this can of Quantum theory on you....

The insanity of religion - Page 3 ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimages1.browardpalmbeach.com%2Fimager%2Feverybodys-kung-food-fighting%2Fu%2Foriginal%2F6461088%2Fwhoopass2

You can barely read, so I feel it safe to say that you certainly don't understand quantum theory. Experts who work in that field will tell you that they don't understand quantum theory.

53The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 5:13 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

boards of FL wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:Boards don't make me open this can of Quantum theory on you....

The insanity of religion - Page 3 ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimages1.browardpalmbeach.com%2Fimager%2Feverybodys-kung-food-fighting%2Fu%2Foriginal%2F6461088%2Fwhoopass2

You can barely read, so I feel it safe to say that you certainly don't understand quantum theory.  Experts who work in that field will tell you that they don't understand quantum theory.

Exactly....

54The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 5:16 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Boards.....Does it really matter to you what people believe and why?  I suspect, as usual for you, you are trying to prove your non-belief superior. 

If you do not believe that's fine. No big deal.

55The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 5:17 pm

polecat

polecat

If the Pope says one more thing about helping the poor or Global Warming, the GOP is gonna blame him for Benghazi too.

I saw that top congressional leaders sent a statement to the House and Senate with guidelines for Pope Francis' visit, including a request to not shake his hand. Apparently, they're worried that if politicians touch the Pope they'll burst into flames.- Jimmy Fallon

Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker has become the second GOP presidential hopeful to drop out of the 2016 race. He says he looks forward to his new job as the picture in the dictionary next to the word “duh.”- Seth Myers

The trip to Washington, D.C., has actually been very educational for the Pope. You know, because he's only ever read about purgatory.- Jimmy Fallon

Pope reminds Congress that if there was no death penalty Jesus might still be here.- John Fugelsang

Finally Republicans will have a chance to explain to the Pope that Jesus thought everything could be fixed by cutting rich people's taxes.- LOLGOP

56The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 5:30 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:Boards.....Does it really matter to you what people believe and why?  I suspect, as usual for you, you are trying to prove your non-belief superior. 

If you do not believe that's fine. No big deal.

This is a forum where people discuss things. We're discussing things. What is the issue here?

57The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 5:32 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

[I can't accept quantum mechanics because] "I like to think the moon is there even if I am not looking at it."
Albert Einstein

Acts 17: 27 God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. 28 For in him we live and move and have our being.

58The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 5:35 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

TEOTWAWKI wrote:[I can't accept quantum mechanics because] "I like to think the moon is there even if I am not looking at it."
Albert Einstein

Acts 17: 27 God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. 28 For in him we live and move and have our being.

Yeah, you should stay away from quantum mechanics.

59The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 5:37 pm

2seaoat

Don't you believe in the christian god?

Again, for the fourth time. I believe in absolute truths in nature, math, and science, and central to that belief is the apex of truth is God.

I am willing to try any portal to find the truth. I have chosen of my own free will to use Matthew Six and Christianity to find God with the faith that truth does exist. I believe that God is not exclusive as to a portal to the truth which I demonstrated with simple math. The answer has many approaches but only one true answer. These are simple concepts I am talking about, and I may be proven wrong empirically many years in the future when man expands their sensory limitations of the present. However, to ridicule those who believe in something which cannot empirically verified, is again only one half of the equation. Nature, math, and science provide us the other half of the equation which confirms universal absolutes and truth. God is truth.

Now, the antithesis of truth is falsehood. A bad answer in math calculation, a faulty hypothesis proven wrong by facts, a sophist who pretends either by religion or political position to have the answers which are simply false. Many religions in defining the antithesis use the concept of the devil. They even create a concept of a place of evil and untruth. Some dwell in the options to the portals of truth or falsehood, but in the end, there is certainty of truth which all the universe and the laws of nature revolve. As a kid who loved algebra, you know better than most only doing one side of the equation.

60The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 5:45 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

boards of FL wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:[I can't accept quantum mechanics because] "I like to think the moon is there even if I am not looking at it."
Albert Einstein

Yeah, you should stay away from quantum mechanics.

There is a unity of substance, ether, whatever that reaches and permeates theoretically throughout the universe. It is within that substance we and all things exist in unity. That old song we are stardust isn't too far off. We are all one within God who willed us into existence. For in him we have our existence, being........Like a fish that doesn't comprehend water because he lives within it.

Funny how the thing that breathes takes for granted where it's breath came from.

61The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 6:16 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote: Matthew 6 has given me a portal to the truth

Matthew 6

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others.

The Bible is calling those local street preachers "hypocrites".  I wonder why they don't know about this.

62The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 6:27 pm

2seaoat

I wonder why they don't know about this.

That is the same conclusion a ninth grader came to after studying the bible for years. I find those who argue as the hypocrites do, and those who deny the existence of God to share opposite ends in a boat going nowhere.

your Father, who sees what is done in secret.....

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

63The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 6:34 pm

Vikingwoman

2seaoat wrote:How is Zeus any more illogical in nature, math, and science that the christian god?  What are you looking at in those fields that jumps out at you and says "Belief in Zeus is illogical"?

Greek Mythology starts with the proposition of no unitary truth.  So 2 +2 =4 for one Greek God and another says 2+2=6, and I argue that math, science, and nature have unitary truths.  I believe there is but one nexus and truth.  The concept of God presupposes the apex.   However, the apex may have many routes to truth.......4 x 1=4..........and so  the apex may have created alternative routes to truth and God.  Bob thinks that because it a route was in a book, it is incapable of finding truth.  Boards believes that the existence of one portal or another is the answer to the problem or one mathematical approach is better than the other, but the truth remains unitary and unchallenged.  God is the truth.  My faith as a Christian that Matthew 6 has given me a portal to the truth, is not so naive as to believe that other portals to the truth may have come before, or have not yet been discovered.

So you think because you like Matthews 6 and chose that to live by you have a portal to the truth and God? Forget about the rest of the scriptures. You'll just throw them out and believe that and it is proof enough? Seriously?

64The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 6:36 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Bob wrote:
2seaoat wrote: Matthew 6 has given me a portal to the truth

Matthew 6

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others.

The Bible is calling those local street preachers "hypocrites".  I wonder why they don't know about this.

There is an argument to be made as to the efficacy of street preaching but to answer your question there is adifference between preaching and praying. Praying is personal. Preaching is reaching out to the lost .

65The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 6:45 pm

2seaoat

So you think because you like Matthews 6 and chose that to live by you have a portal to the truth and God? Forget about the rest of the scriptures. You'll just throw them out and believe that and it is proof enough? Seriously?

It is not a question of like or dislike. It is the logic of a direct connection to a higher truth, without the need for interpretations from man. Matthew 6 was the theoretical basis of the protestant reformation. The idea of the hierarchy of the church being the only spokesman for God was shattered by Matthew 6 which clearly establishes the direct link with the same. I throw nothing out, but understand logic and truth. There can only be one universal truth in nature, math, and science. Sophists exist who believe and I would never be so foolish as to say you attempt to say on my behalf that I "have" a portal. I have clearly written there may be an abundance of portals, but I simply find truth in this one.

66The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 6:53 pm

2seaoat

Off to the big box store to finish the new handicap ramp system.....not a worry about today or tomorrow, and quite comfortable in my beliefs and that truth and justice do exist, as do confused people and sophists who have no trouble denying truths in nature, math and science.

67The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 6:55 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I like Pope Francis. I like his message and how he connects to ordinary people.
And I didn't hear it but am told he referred to the Golden Rule when speaking to Congress. Good stuff. Good guy.

68The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 7:07 pm

Markle

Markle

I'm curious why it matters to those here who share Wordslinger's, BoardofFL, Viking and a few others why I believe in God. Prove it? Why? That's why it is called FAITH.

I care not in the lease that Wordslinger, BoardsofFL, Viking and the others are members of the Heathen faith. Their business, not my problem.

Yet, the trio and their brethren here are obsessed with denigrating those of faith. Why?

Wordslinger jumps on here once or twice a week for no reason to denigrate people of faith. This week he called in help from Viking

For me there can only be one explanation for such a perverse obsession.

The insanity of religion - Page 3 Hamlet_quote_t_shirt-p2359314148773-1

69The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 7:10 pm

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:I like Pope Francis.  I like his message and how he connects to ordinary people.  
And I didn't hear it but am told he referred to the Golden Rule when speaking to Congress.  Good stuff.  Good guy.

It's true.

He used the Golden Rule as a vehicle to advocate for open borders and against the death penalty.

70The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 7:11 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I give you the mother of all patios. It looks down on 5th Ave to the entrance of St. Patricks Cathedral.

The insanity of religion - Page 3 U10

71The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 7:30 pm

Vikingwoman

2seaoat wrote:So you think because you like Matthews 6 and chose that to live by you have a portal to the truth and God? Forget about the rest of the scriptures. You'll just throw them out and believe that and it is proof enough? Seriously?

It is not a question of like or dislike.  It is the logic of a direct connection to a higher truth, without the need for interpretations from man.  Matthew 6 was the theoretical basis of the protestant reformation.  The idea of the hierarchy of the church being the only spokesman for God was shattered by Matthew 6 which clearly establishes the direct link with the same.  I throw nothing out, but understand logic and truth.  There can only be one universal truth in nature, math, and science.  Sophists exist who believe and I would never be so foolish as to say you attempt to say on my behalf that I "have" a portal.  I have clearly written there may be an abundance of portals, but I simply find truth in this one.

So you just decide this guy is right and that is truth and logic. It is just merely an opinion of one guy and that supplants your faith. Correct? There does not have to be any evidence?

72The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 7:35 pm

Vikingwoman

Markle wrote:I'm curious why it matters to those here who share Wordslinger's, BoardofFL, Viking and a few others why I believe in God.  Prove it?  Why?  That's why it is called FAITH.

I care not in the lease that Wordslinger, BoardsofFL, Viking and the others are members of the Heathen faith.  Their business, not my problem.

Yet, the trio and their brethren here are obsessed with denigrating those of faith.  Why?

Wordslinger jumps on here once or twice a week for no reason to denigrate people of faith.  This week he called in help from Viking

For me there can only be one explanation for such a perverse obsession.

The insanity of religion - Page 3 Hamlet_quote_t_shirt-p2359314148773-1

As Boards said we're having a discussion on faith. Why does that offend you or Joani?

73The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 8:59 pm

2seaoat

I think this has been a constructive discussion. I think Dreams, Boards, and Bob raise legitimate questions. I certainly do not have answers which meet empirical proof, but neither does the proposition that God does not exist. I simply believe that the evidence of truth in nature, math, and science create a certainty that there is an apex of truth. From that point all truths are evident. Man may not have senses to understand all those truths, and whether it is a neutrino or a bacteria our limits in verification of truths does not give us the final answer in regard to God. I have no shame in my Christian beliefs and recoil when those who try to superimpose their belief of what Christians are suppose to believe which create contradictions in scripture, or those who think that you must be a mush mind to believe in some kind of sky fairy. It is never as simple as those who make those arguments try to make it. Truth is self evident, however difficult the journey may be.

74The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 10:47 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

My god is all around me every morning at 6:30 when I'm sitting beside
the fire in my backyard. It's in all the urban sounds coming from every direction. And all the nature surrounding me.
It takes the form of a church bell gonging every quarter hour. And a locomotive pulling a freight train in the distance.

75The insanity of religion - Page 3 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/24/2015, 11:28 pm

Vikingwoman

It's interesting to me the difference in the thinking of those who challenge antiquated beliefs and those who are happy w/ the status quo despite the lack of evidence God exists. Having been indoctrinated in Christianity all my childhood you would think I would be of the same persuasion but I questioned the dogma when I grew older and the lack of logic. What is the difference between me and people like me? Are we unafraid to face the reality and discomfort the lack of religion brings? Are we more forward in our thinking that there is no reason we are here and we create the importance of our existence?
We are told there is a reason for everything but that has deep fallacies as we all know. So the question we need to ask ourselves is why do we need to believe in concepts that have no evidence in reality? Is the comfort our main goal or the fear of the unknown?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum