Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The insanity of religion

+5
Markle
2seaoat
polecat
TEOTWAWKI
Vikingwoman
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 9]

126The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/25/2015, 3:58 pm

2seaoat

You can read Matthew 6 and you have my religion. Its called being a Christian. I am sorry you think that there is a sky fairy, or spaghetti monster, or more importantly one definition of what a christian is........those are your limitations. I remain quite comfortable in my belief in God.

127The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/25/2015, 4:00 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

2seaoat wrote:Is it your belief that god created the universe?

What part of the answer which was concise and accurate did you not understand.  Are you having difficulty with the concept of a priori?

I'm afraid that I am.  If it is your belief that god created the universe, then your answer would be "yes".  If it is not your belief that god created the universe, then your answer would be "no".

So let's try this again:  Is it your belief that god created the universe?

The reason that I'm asking you this is because I implied as much before and you said that I was wrong.  Then I asked you if the opposite was the case, to which you also said that I was wrong there as well.

With that said, can you simply state whether or not it is your belief that god created the universe?  This is precisely what happens in nearly every religious discussion between a believer and a non believer.  The non believers become more and more vague until there is no path forward in the discussion.

What we know at this point is that you believe in god, you do not necessarily believe in any part of the bible aside from a very specific section, and you - for whatever reason - aren't able to simply state if it is your belief that god created the universe.

128The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/25/2015, 4:03 pm

2seaoat

Bob wrote:
Vikingwoman wrote: Are we more forward in our thinking that there is no reason we are here and we create the importance of our existence?

Think about your words:  "...reason we are here..."

The word "reason" is the key to the answer you're looking for.
If you read through all the various definitions for that word,  in all the various dictionaries,  it all describes something purely human.  
So what you're looking for is a human understanding of the nature of all that exists.  
But what we are and what we do and how we think,  is hardly the explanation for everything which exists.  Hell,  our "reason" doesn't have a  clue what actually exists.  What we know to exist is limited by our senses and our capacity to do HUMAN "reason".  Again with emphasis on HUMAN.
But god only knows what exists which is outside of or beyond any HUMAN "reasoning".
And I say "god only knows" for a reason because that's what god is to me.  God is whatever is beyond my capacity to comprehend.  Could be literally anything because it's inconceivable to my human mind.

Part one

129The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/25/2015, 4:08 pm

2seaoat

2seaoat wrote:2seaoat, I asked you this in my last post but you didn't respond. How did you come to be a christian? Were you indoctrinated as a child?

I attended church regularly as a child.  About sixth grade I began to have questions which could not be answered logically.  By eighth grade, like you I was beginning to doubt the logical explanations which were being presented to me by very stupid people.  I found too many contradictions in scripture and found that much of religion was superstition, and simple ritual.

By ninth grade I had found Matthew Six and found guidance.  I no longer attended church regularly.  Easter or Christmas, but I found that I had a natural revulsion to people dictating to me what God was with simplistic concepts which made no sense in scripture or within the physical world which in eighth grade I had achieved a unitary sense of truth in science and math.  I found that I had created a paradigm which explained physics, geography, math, chemistry, and biology.  In my eighth grade mind I had advanced in my scholarly pursuits to have an understanding of the world I lived.  Now with each year which has passed, I have discovered that more questions are raised every day with branches of knowledge from my unitary paradigm, and with that more questions about what is not known and yet discovered, the importance of a unitary apex of perfection and truth became increasingly more obvious as I discovered that I could never understand empirically the world I lived and that my mastering of my paradigm as an eighth grader still basically guided my life in my physical life, but increasingly those assumptions of the truths of nature, math, and science were changing as our human knowledge base grew.   With this process came an ever increasing certainty that there is perfection and truth in the universe and it is at the apex of yet discovered reality.  Matthew six provided me with the portal to try to discover the unification of those truths and the perfection of the concept of God.  To that end I live my life simply following the Matthew six as guidance in my Christian beliefs.  I find it to simple to stand like the hypocrites who pray the loudest telling all the path to God, and I find it to simple to simply state God does not exist because I am incapable of understanding all truth in the universe at this time, and in the absence of such knowledge come to the illogical conclusion that God does not exist.  I am not indoctrinated, but free.

Part two. Please do not tell me you did not even bother to read the same, or are you so set in the sophomoric attack of religion that you approach all folks who believe as dunderheads who worship sky faries? You really have not given a cogent response to anything I have written, except attempted to corral me in what other people stand up a pray the loudest as the truth....you are no better but when you pray to your paradigm, you do not even take the time to read Matthew 6.......you would be so easy to figure in poker.....so certain that your kings were the winning hand.

130The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/25/2015, 4:10 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

How bout this for a Hollywood story.

We find some new "dead sea" type scrolls at the bottom of Bayou Chico.
Trust me, everything else is down there so it wouldn't surprise me.

And these new scrolls reveal the writings of another Christian prophet named Bruce. And Bruce reveals to us that Matthew was actually the son of God, and Jesus was just his mouthpiece. Sorta like Dick Cheney and George Bush.
Then we'd have to change the name of the thing to Matthewism.

And before you think I'm trying to be humorous with this, remember that each and every one of us who lives here has been told this town was "the first settlement". So how do we know Jesus was actually the lead actor when all that supposedly happened more than two millennia ago.

Herman Goering may have been a vicious Nazi monster, but he was a smart one. His quote about how history told with lies can get etched in stone is as important a lesson for us as anything in the bible or the koran.

131The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/25/2015, 4:12 pm

2seaoat

I am off to a social event. I will return later this evening.

132The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/25/2015, 4:16 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

2seaoat wrote:
2seaoat wrote:2seaoat, I asked you this in my last post but you didn't respond. How did you come to be a christian? Were you indoctrinated as a child?

I attended church regularly as a child.  About sixth grade I began to have questions which could not be answered logically.  By eighth grade, like you I was beginning to doubt the logical explanations which were being presented to me by very stupid people.  I found too many contradictions in scripture and found that much of religion was superstition, and simple ritual.

By ninth grade I had found Matthew Six and found guidance.  I no longer attended church regularly.  Easter or Christmas, but I found that I had a natural revulsion to people dictating to me what God was with simplistic concepts which made no sense in scripture or within the physical world which in eighth grade I had achieved a unitary sense of truth in science and math.  I found that I had created a paradigm which explained physics, geography, math, chemistry, and biology.  In my eighth grade mind I had advanced in my scholarly pursuits to have an understanding of the world I lived.  Now with each year which has passed, I have discovered that more questions are raised every day with branches of knowledge from my unitary paradigm, and with that more questions about what is not known and yet discovered, the importance of a unitary apex of perfection and truth became increasingly more obvious as I discovered that I could never understand empirically the world I lived and that my mastering of my paradigm as an eighth grader still basically guided my life in my physical life, but increasingly those assumptions of the truths of nature, math, and science were changing as our human knowledge base grew.   With this process came an ever increasing certainty that there is perfection and truth in the universe and it is at the apex of yet discovered reality.  Matthew six provided me with the portal to try to discover the unification of those truths and the perfection of the concept of God.  To that end I live my life simply following the Matthew six as guidance in my Christian beliefs.  I find it to simple to stand like the hypocrites who pray the loudest telling all the path to God, and I find it to simple to simply state God does not exist because I am incapable of understanding all truth in the universe at this time, and in the absence of such knowledge come to the illogical conclusion that God does not exist.  I am not indoctrinated, but free.

Part two.  Please do not tell me you did not even bother to read the same, or are you so set in the sophomoric attack of religion that you approach all folks who believe as dunderheads who worship sky faries?  You really have not given a cogent response to anything I have written, except attempted to corral me in what other people stand up a pray the loudest as the truth....you are no better but when you pray to your paradigm, you do not even take the time to read Matthew 6.......you would be so easy to figure in poker.....so certain that your kings were the winning hand.

Why are you quoting this? This has absolutely nothing to do with my response on Pascals wager. Are you directing this to me or someone else?

You cherry-picked a part of the bible that you like that is how you are defining christianity for yourself. Fair enough. I'm fairly clear on that.

What I'm still not clear on, seeing as how your definition of 'christianity' differs from most of the rest of the world's definition is this: Is it your belief that a supernatural god created the universe?

133The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/25/2015, 4:26 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:
Part two.  Please do not tell me you did not even bother to read the same, or are you so set in the sophomoric attack of religion that you approach all folks who believe as dunderheads who worship sky faries?  You really have not given a cogent response to anything I have written, except attempted to corral me in what other people stand up a pray the loudest as the truth....you are no better but when you pray to your paradigm, you do not even take the time to read Matthew 6.......you would be so easy to figure in poker.....so certain that your kings were the winning hand.

Actually this time when you're holding that hand and calling my bluff, you'd lose.
Because I was being very sincere. Frankly, the fact that you and I, who are so opposed in so many ways, have our own independent personal religions and that BOTH are focused the exact same chapter of the exact same book; well frankly I find it to be astonishing.
So because of that, I then told you I want to learn more about Matthew.

Not everything I write is sarcasm, seaoat. Granted, my sincerity and my sarcasm are too mixed up together and difficult to tell apart. But you as an astute reader needs to be able to tell the difference cause I don't know how to write any different.

134The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/25/2015, 4:43 pm

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:

But,  as to it having any relevance to my religion?  Nah.  For there to be any analogy to my minnows,  these fish wouldn't be audibly speaking English.  lol
That's sorta the whole point of my minnows.  They aint never gonna be talking to us or sending us emails or texts or smoke signals.  lol

Umm no, Bob.

The fish in the movie only spoke in English so the audience could understand them.

They were unable to communicate with the humans in the movie in any way.

I'm afraid the analogy stands, and your understanding of the cosmos was illustrated nearly flawlessly in an animated movie aimed at 7-year-olds.

135The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/25/2015, 5:29 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Since he had to leave, I'll re-state where we are at here.  The following posts still remain unanswered, and we still have no clear understanding of 2seaoat's religious belief.  I can't make a case against something if you can't clearly define it.

I know you say identify a christian, though you also say you do not subscribe to most of the bible.  OK.  And you also refuse to plainly state whether or not you believe that god created the universe.  If you ask me, those to facts combined mean that your belief - whatever it is - transcends the definition of the word 'christian'.  

Perhaps when you return you will be able to respond to the posts below - directly - and you will also be able to clarify exactly what your beliefs are.  Yes, I get it that you are a big fan of Matthew 6.  But what does 'god' mean to you?  Is it a personal god?  Is it a god that created everything and then left.  Is it some abstract concept?  Are you saying that 'god' is anther word for 'math, science, and nature'?  Do you believe in heaven?  Hell?  Did Jesus die on the cross for our sins?

2seaoat wrote:People with strong arguments are generally able to directly respond rather than fabricate strawmen and then attack those.

That is the current hiding place for god.  In time, I suspect we won't need god for that explanation either.

I have directly responded.  There is no need for any strawman, that was your choice with the Spahgetti God.  However, again you make a fatal flaw in logic.  You assume that the universe, nature, math, and science can be realized by man in its complete truth.....again a fools errand.

No, I haven't.  And the spaghetti monster is not a strawman.   It is a completely nonsense idea that is equally as likely as christianity.  I was trying to get you to explain why you believe in christianity instead of the spaghetti monster, but you will not respond to that.

You're basically making shit up, attributing it to me, and then arguing against that...and all the while, you're not responding to anything I have said.  

Watch.   You haven't responded to this:

boards of FL wrote:I ridicule those who believe because the doctrines are so obviously false.  Hypothetical scenario.  Let's say that you have a son who is in first grade and it's report card day.  Let's say your son comes home with a sheet of notebook paper that reads: "This isz Matt's (your son's name is Matt) reporte kard!  Matt's got all As and a Beee"  would you be skeptical of that document?

Let's say your dog approached you one day with a sheet of paper that read: "A kneww laww haz bin past.  No mor katz r aloud n this hous.",  would you be skeptical of that document?

Let's say you read a book written in ancient barbaric times in which women were treated as property, slavery was prevalent, punishments were swift and incredibly harsh, and the general level of knowledge at the time was very low; and let's say that the book was said to be an explanation of the creation of our universe.   The book, coincidentally, is also incredibly harsh, ignorant, and barbaric.  Women need to do what their men say or else.  Etc, etc.  Many of the claims in the book can be factually refuted today based upon our current understanding of the world because we know considerably more today than the people did in the past when the book was written.  And if you don't believe this, you will but tortured in a pit of fire forever.  Wouldn't you be skeptical of that document?   What if there were thousands of these books, all making equally extraordinary claims and all being incompatible with the rest?   Wouldn't that make you even more skeptical?

You haven't responded to this:

boards of FL wrote:I have made no assumption that we have discovered everything about math, science, and nature.  In fact, I am certain that we have not.  We haven't even scratched the surface.  I am the one who is comfortable not knowing and conceding that our knowledge - as developed as it has become - is still incredibly limited.  You are the one who invents a place holder for not knowing.  The religious claim to know how the universe came to be.  I, on the other hand, do not. You're getting yourself and I confused here.  I have a reason to investigate how our universe came to be.  You, on the other hand, do not because you already know.  God did it.  People also used to see no need in investigating why the sun rises and sets.  Bill O'Reilly sees no need to investigate the reason for the changing tides because god did it.  Ancient civilizations felt no need to investigate why storms or natural disasters happen.  God did it.  And they felt that they must therefore do whatever they could (sacrifices, pray, etc) to appease that god so that they didn't bring any more evil upon themselves.  

This is known as a "god of the gaps" argument.  You're basically saying "There are things that we don't currently know about or understand, therefore, god."   If that is the argument that you want to make, you're basically saying that god is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance.  God used to cause the sun to rise and set.  God used to cause the tides to go in and out.  God used to cause death.  God used to cause the changing season.  Today, god isn't really needed to explain hardly anything outside of  "What happened before the big bang?"  That is the current hiding place for god.  In time, I suspect we won't need god for that explanation either.

boards of FL wrote:Pascals wager is absolutely the worst philosophical argument for the existence of god that has ever been made.  Watch this.  There is a religion called Dragonism.  It's doctrine states that there is a 16 headed dragon called Yabtoraok.  Yabtoraok commands us to spend our entire lives learning as much about math and science as we possibly can.  If we fail to do that, Yabtoraok will torture us forever in a pit of fire.  

OK.  On one hand, I could consider this claim and then naturally write it off as complete nonsense.  On other other hand, what if it is true?  If true my skepticism will cause me to be tortured forever.  I suppose I may as well say that I believe in Yabtoraok since the possibility of being tortured for eternity far outweighs the cost of learning as much about math and science as possible.

We could apply this argument to the most asinine propositions out there.  The entire universe rests inside the eye of a clown.  If we don't spend our lives worshiping this clown, he will bring the worst imaginable evil upon us in the afterlife.  Well, may as well believe in that one as well.

And beyond that, lets assume that god does in fact exist for a second.  Do you honestly think that viewing the proposition of belief or skepticism through the lens of a self-interested wager would be considered acceptable to a god?  Come on now.

boards of FL wrote:If you had been born and raised in Kuwait, don't you think it very likely that you would subscribe to islam?  If you had been born in a particular region of the world where (insert religion) is prevalent, and if your parents were also (insert religion), don't you think it highly likely that you yourself would be (insert religion)?  Had you been born in ancient Greece, don't you think it likely that you would have worshiped Zeus?  And how unfortunate it would have been for you if you were born before the invention of christianity!  No matter what you did with your life, hell awaited you!

Isn't your current religious identification more attributable to random chance (time/era, geography, your parents) than a serious consideration of all religious claims available, and then a selection of the one that you felt seemed the most likely?

The only thing that you have managed to respond to is the idea that man has (or, could have) perfect knowledge of everything.  The problem with that is that no one here has made such a claim.  In fact, I have said the exact opposite.  

When you don't respond to what I'm saying, and when you instead fabricate your own argument so that you can respond to that fabricated argument instead of my arguments, you are in fact arguing against a strawman.

136The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/25/2015, 6:08 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Salinsky wrote:
Bob wrote:

But,  as to it having any relevance to my religion?  Nah.  For there to be any analogy to my minnows,  these fish wouldn't be audibly speaking English.  lol
That's sorta the whole point of my minnows.  They aint never gonna be talking to us or sending us emails or texts or smoke signals.  lol

Umm no, Bob.

The fish in the movie only spoke in English so the audience could understand them.

They were unable to communicate with the humans in the movie in any way.

I'm afraid the analogy stands, and your understanding of the cosmos was illustrated nearly flawlessly in an animated movie aimed at 7-year-olds.

It's called anthropomorphism,  Sal.  It's a story telling technique in fiction writing.  But only in fiction.  The minnows and the scuba diver are not fiction,  they're real life.
Minnows cannot communicate with humans even if the humans are audience members and not humans in the story.  Because minnows don't have the ideas that humans do.  Compared to humans,  the idea making capacity of  minnows is virtually non-existent.  

Which brings us to the comparison in question.  Maybe there's something in our presence,  maybe always has been,  that we have no capacity to detect.   Because the difference between us and it is as big as the difference between us and the minnows.  
Actually that's probably an understatement.  We discovered technology only a few generations ago.  We're not even to the baby stage yet,  in the grand scheme of things more like the brain of a week old fetus.
It's totally inconceivable what 10,000 years of technological advance would be.  Or a million years.
And the whole point is,  that it's probably not a question of just we do not know these things.  More like a question of we cannot know these things.

137The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/25/2015, 6:47 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

My god is this ever complicated. I wonder if Jimmy Swaggart or Brother Carl could comprehend all this.

Most scholars believe the Gospel of Matthew was composed between 80 and 90 CE, with a range of possibility between 70 to 110 CE.[2] A pre-70 date remains a minority view.[3] The anonymous author was probably a male Jew, standing on the margin between traditional and non-traditional Jewish values, and familiar with technical legal aspects of scripture being debated in his time.[4] Writing in a polished Semitic "synagogue Greek",[5] he drew on three main sources, the Gospel of Mark, the hypothetical collection of sayings known as the Q source, and material unique to his own community, called "Special Matthew", or the M source.[6]

The gospel of Matthew is a creative reinterpretation of Mark,[7] stressing Jesus' teachings as much as his acts,[8] and making subtle changes to reveal his divine nature – Mark's "young man" who appears at Jesus' tomb, for example, becomes a radiant angel in Matthew.[9] The divine nature of Jesus was a major issue for the community of Matthew, the crucial element marking them off from their Jewish neighbors;[10] the gospel of Mark recounts prior revelations in Jesus' lifetime on earth, at his baptism and transfiguration, but Matthew goes back further still, showing Jesus as the Son of God from his birth, the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Matthew

"The anonymous author"!!! Jesus, he never even gave us his name, but me and seaoat are basing both our personal religions on his writings.
A fricking key figure in the story who remains anonymous. Sounds like Deep Throat.

138The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/25/2015, 6:56 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Wait a minute,  get this...

The gospel of Matthew is a creative reinterpretation of Mark,[7] stressing Jesus' teachings as much as his acts,[8] and making subtle changes to reveal his divine nature – Mark's "young man" who appears at Jesus' tomb, for example, becomes a radiant angel in Matthew.[9]

My god,  this really is like hollywood.  A "creative reinterpretation of Mark".  Hell that's what screenwriters like wordslinger do.
And like moviemakers do,  they take a real-life character who was young boy and then turn him into a supernatural creature in the sequel.
It's like the prologue to the Superman story.  Superman didn't have any powers in the very beginning.  He acquired those later in the story.

It's a lot like the "INSPIRED BY TRUE EVENTS" or "BASED ON TRUE EVENTS" we so often see in the opening credits.   Looks like back then they adopted an idea still in use by hollywood today.  If you add those disclaimers to it you can tell the story any way you choose.

139The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/25/2015, 7:20 pm

Vikingwoman

2seaoat wrote:

Au contraire' Oatie. You've been talking in circles and can't seem to really define what you believe. Or... you don't want to admit you believe in the sky fairy and all the trimmings that go w/ it because you know they are nonsense and can't defend them. In any event, Boards has pinned you down and you can't seem to get up w/ all of your 50 cent words and confusing rhetoric. Not that I'm surprised?

140The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/25/2015, 7:43 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Seaoat, I've just read that what is featured in Matthew 6 is the Sermon on the Mount and the Lord's Prayer.

Is it one or the other or both of those which inspired you? If so, please elaborate.

141The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/25/2015, 7:47 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I just turned on the tv again.  I can tell you this,  while John Lennon might have had an argument that the beatles were bigger than Jesus,  there's no way Trump could make the argument that he's bigger than the Pope.
The pope has bumped Trump completely.

142The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/25/2015, 8:36 pm

What do you think about all those other accounts in the dead sea scrolls that the king james left out bob?

143The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/25/2015, 8:50 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PkrBum wrote:What do you think about all those other accounts in the dead sea scrolls that the king james left out bob?

I know,  that's a real sticky point too,  Pkr.  Not only that a dictatorial king was the one to pass judgement on that editing,  but that he was a fag king to boot.  I really wonder about some of the faithful who hate homosexuality just because the book says too,  but they have no problem with what the book says being decided by a homosexual.  I don't think it's ever been revealed to them that the dude was queer.   lol

144The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/26/2015, 2:36 pm

2seaoat

The only thing that you have managed to respond to is the idea that man has (or, could have) perfect knowledge of everything. The problem with that is that no one here has made such a claim. In fact, I have said the exact opposite.

I am back. The above is not my argument. You think that Matthew 6 is just make it up as you go Christianity......you know the basis of the protestant reformation. Let me help you. My religious beliefs are based on scripture which was one of the main three arguments for the protestant reformation. Its formal name was:

Sola Scriptura (by Scripture alone) was one of the watchwords of the Reformation. This doctrine maintains that Scripture, as contained in the Bible, is the only authority for the Christian in matters of faith, life and conduct. The teachings and traditions of the church are to be completely subordinate to the Scriptures. Roman Catholicism, on the other hand, holds Scripture and Tradition to be of the same inspired Deposit of Faith.

What you have argued that my make up chit as I go, is devoid of any theological understanding, or the importance of Matthew 6. As much as this destroys your religion and paradigm that all who are Christian worship the Spahgetti monsters, it was the concept of Sola Scritura which provides the direct link with God independent of the very men you claim must guide Christian belief......you would fit in nicely during the Spanish Inquisition where your test of what a Christian is somehow in your mind is defined by the lowest intelligence of collective men doing exactly what Matthew 6 warns us to ignore.....and then you pat your self on the back and say.....ah ha........what idiocy, your strawman of the Spaghetti monster god as I have repeatedly explained apparently going over your head, could in fact be the portal to God, as could any number of other religions which seek God.

I asked you if you understood my sentence using the concept of a priori? Because when I tell you my faith, you seem to repeatedly not get this simple concept. God is truth and perfection, and the universe, nature, math and science are truth which God is the Apex, and this truth is revealed or discovered, or not.

I am certain you have never even taken one philosophy course either in undergraduate or graduate school because my discussion is nothing new and has been debated in degrees in philosophy for centuries, and on the old PNJ forum a poster named Requiem who was brilliant and schooled in philosophy and I would debate these very same arguments. Kant argued that fundamental concepts of the human mind structure human experience. You argue this human experience has not found the sky fairy. Traditional problems of metaphysics can be overcome by supposing that the agreement between reality and the concepts we use to conceive it arises not because our mental concepts have come to passively mirror reality, but because reality must conform to the human mind's active concepts to be conceivable and at all possible for us to experience. So you ridicule as Kant argues because your mind conforms reality. Yet, Requiem and I would debate Plato's allegory of the cave where like Kant correctly identifying that your reality must conform to your mind's active and limited concepts to be conceivable, so again....you ridicule. However, Plato's cave the dwellers could only see shadows and never the reality. I have argued that Matthew 6 has been a portal for Christians to find God within the Scriptures without all the baggage and without other men dictating the reality of a unitary God of truth and perfection which is the apex of the universe, nature, math, and science. You ask this silly question, Did God create the Universe as if the literal discussions in Genesis define Christianity. It does not. How can that which has always been be created. It simply is.

Quite frankly your arguments are the eighth grade kid who in an unfiltered manner proclaims.....there is no God...prove God exists. You believe in sky faires. For thousands of years this discussion has been debated by the best minds in philosophy, and as easy as it is to show the absurdity of the belief system of a Clerk in Ky who is a Christian, it becomes much more difficult for the eighth grade kid to understand a prior or the minds conformity to your active and limited concepts. I acknowledge I do not have the answer, rather I am not so foolish to limit my perception of the reality in Plato's cave to the shadows, for I have found that there are universal truths and perfection which can be seen in nature, math, and science and to the extent that I have not found the same, I find my faith in Matthew 6 to guide me, and I am at peace. I miss Requiem. He was brilliant.

145The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/26/2015, 3:14 pm

2seaoat

I'm afraid that I am. If it is your belief that god created the universe, then your answer would be "yes". If it is not your belief that god created the universe, then your answer would be "no".

See my above response. However, as you always like to fire off multiple questions to a person without reading links, and threads, I will ask you a simple questions.......So you think the above question can be answered with a yes, or a no. This of course is supposing that the agreement between your reality and the concepts you use to conceive arises not because your mental concepts have come to passively mirror reality, but because reality must conform to the human mind's active concepts to be conceivable and this is your limitation. Are you able to wrap your mind around the concept of infinity? I know you have an excellent analytic mind and can understand this concept. Yet, why did you limit your reality to a beginning and the concept of creation? The Universe and truth and God at the Apex of the same has always existed and there has never been a creation any more than there is an end to infinity. Please do not try to use the sophomoric tricks of those who mock genesis when God acknowledges the direct link in Matthew six. Again, my faith is simple. Matthew six gives me a portal to God, and God is truth and perfection which sits at the apex of our universe, nature, math, and science, and that contrary to your attempts by man to define Christianity, or you to go to lala land where historical importance of this chapter escaped you or you were unfamiliar and claimed I was just starting a new type of christianity.....duh....google the protestant reformation, nor the theoretical philosophical concepts which make your arguments lie fallow as the limitations of Kant and Plato do not matter to your POSTERIORI WORLD fully knowing the limitations of the same as you define religion from the rear view mirror.

146The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/26/2015, 3:56 pm

What a fricking mess of ideas. If words were water you'd have drowned boards a few pages ago... lol.

147The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/26/2015, 4:15 pm

Vikingwoman

2seaoat wrote:The only thing that you have managed to respond to is the idea that man has (or, could have) perfect knowledge of everything.  The problem with that is that no one here has made such a claim.  In fact, I have said the exact opposite.

I am back.  The above is not my argument.  You think that Matthew 6 is just make it up as you go Christianity......you know the basis of the protestant reformation.  Let me help you.  My religious beliefs are based on scripture which was one of the main three arguments for the protestant reformation.  Its formal name was:

Sola Scriptura (by Scripture alone) was one of the watchwords of the Reformation. This doctrine maintains that Scripture, as contained in the Bible, is the only authority for the Christian in matters of faith, life and conduct. The teachings and traditions of the church are to be completely subordinate to the Scriptures. Roman Catholicism, on the other hand, holds Scripture and Tradition to be of the same inspired Deposit of Faith.

What you have argued that my make up chit as I go, is devoid of any theological understanding, or the importance of Matthew 6.  As much as this destroys your religion and paradigm that all who are Christian worship the Spahgetti monsters, it was the concept of Sola Scritura which provides the direct link with God independent of the very men you claim must guide Christian belief......you would fit in nicely during the Spanish Inquisition where your test of what a Christian is somehow in your mind is defined by the lowest intelligence of collective men doing exactly what Matthew 6 warns us to ignore.....and then you pat your self on the back and say.....ah ha........what idiocy, your strawman of the Spaghetti monster god as I have repeatedly explained apparently going over your head, could in fact be the portal to God, as could any number of other religions which seek God.

I asked you if you understood my sentence using the concept of a priori?  Because when I tell you my faith, you seem to repeatedly not get this simple concept.  God is truth and perfection, and the universe, nature, math and science are truth which God is the Apex, and this truth is revealed or discovered, or not.

I am certain you have never even taken one philosophy course either in undergraduate or graduate school because my discussion is nothing new and has been debated in degrees in philosophy for centuries, and on the old PNJ forum a poster named Requiem who was brilliant and schooled in philosophy and I would debate these very same arguments.  Kant argued that fundamental concepts of the human mind structure human experience.  You argue this human experience has not found the sky fairy. Traditional problems of metaphysics can be overcome by supposing that the agreement between reality and the concepts we use to conceive it arises not because our mental concepts have come to passively mirror reality, but because reality must conform to the human mind's active concepts to be conceivable and at all possible for us to experience.  So you ridicule as Kant argues because your mind conforms reality.  Yet, Requiem and I would debate Plato's allegory of the cave where like Kant correctly identifying that your reality must conform to your mind's active and limited concepts to be conceivable, so again....you ridicule.  However, Plato's cave the dwellers could only see shadows and never the reality.   I have argued that Matthew 6 has been a portal for Christians to find God within the Scriptures without all the baggage and without other men dictating the reality of a unitary God of truth and perfection which is the apex of the universe, nature, math, and science.  You ask this silly question, Did God create the Universe as if the literal discussions in Genesis define Christianity.  It does not.  How can that which has always been be created.  It simply is.  

Quite frankly your arguments are the eighth grade kid who in an unfiltered manner proclaims.....there is no God...prove God exists.   You believe in sky faires.   For thousands of years this discussion has been debated by the best minds in philosophy, and as easy as it is to show the absurdity of the belief system of a Clerk in Ky who is a Christian, it becomes much more difficult for the eighth grade kid to understand a prior or the minds conformity to your active and limited concepts.  I acknowledge I do not have the answer, rather I am not so foolish to limit my perception of the reality in Plato's cave to the shadows, for I have found that there are universal truths and perfection which can be seen in nature, math, and science and to the extent that I have not found the same, I find my faith in Matthew 6 to guide me, and I am at peace.  I miss Requiem.  He was brilliant.

Cutting through the razzle dazzle bullshit all you actually said Oatie was "there are universal truths and perfection which can be seen in nature,math and science" but you haven't found that perfection so you believe in Matthhew 6. Correcto mondo? All the other shit could have been left out and the question answered directly that you don't really know. Sheesh!

148The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/26/2015, 4:18 pm

Vikingwoman

PkrBum wrote:What a fricking mess of ideas. If words were water you'd have drowned boards a few pages ago... lol.

Now that was funny and you are correct! It was a bunch of bullshit intended to circumvent a simple answer. LOL!

149The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/26/2015, 4:24 pm

2seaoat

What a fricking mess of ideas. If words were water you'd have drowned boards a few pages ago... lol.

To that end Requiem and I could create threads which would go forever, but his global warming thread was the all time winner of PNJ threads, yet his religious threads were pure treat for those of us who enjoy philosophy. Now Boards may actually discover that there is a counter to my argument that the Universe and creation has always been. Aristotle argued against my proposition. He like boards was limited to his conceptual and experiential limits. He argued the universe could not come from nothing. There needs to be a cause for the universe. Nothing comes from nothing so since there is something there must have been some other something that is its cause. Aristotle rules out an infinite progression of causes, so that led to the conclusion that there must be a First Cause. So within Board's analytic mind he sees the big bang theory and finds truth that the universe as we now know it was evolved from that large explosion, and that Genesis is a child's fairy tale, but even though many of these philosophical debates predated the bible they do little to displace my theory that the Universe, creation, and truth in nature, math, and science which at its apex is God has always existed Aristotles ruling out infinite progressions, or the limitations of man's concepts. So sorry Pk, if Req was back among us, we could spend hours in page long posts, because concepts and the pursuit of truth rarely are answered with a post of carry on comrades.

150The insanity of religion - Page 6 Empty Re: The insanity of religion 9/26/2015, 4:34 pm

2seaoat

Now that was funny and you are correct! It was a bunch of bullshit intended to circumvent a simple answer. LOL!

No, you simply have a hard time with concepts. Philosophy and religion explore the same. The question was not circumvented. It was answered with precision, which of course you cannot comprehend. Higher conceptual thought is an aptitude. A person can be intelligent but not have the aptitude in a particular area. If you honestly, cannot see the precision of my answer to did God create the Universe, it is not because the answer was circumvented, rather you lack the aptitude to comprehend the answer. Give it a try. Challenge my answer to Boards question.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum