Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should the 80 year old man be charged in this case?

+9
QueenOfHearts
Sal
Markle
Hospital Bob
2seaoat
dumpcare
knothead
Joanimaroni
boards of FL
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Should the 80 year old man be charged in this case?

Should the 80 year old man be charged in this case? - Page 4 I_vote_lcap39%Should the 80 year old man be charged in this case? - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 39% [ 7 ]
Should the 80 year old man be charged in this case? - Page 4 I_vote_lcap61%Should the 80 year old man be charged in this case? - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 61% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 18

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 9]

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:You don't think the felon bears responsibility for her own demise?

I believe that if a woman is running away from you while pleading for her life, you shouldn't be allowed to shoot her in the back.

Then again. I'm a well adjusted adult. Perhaps GOP supporters see it differently. We will simply have to agree to disagree.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:You don't think the felon bears responsibility for her own demise?

I believe that if a woman is running away from you while pleading for her life, you shouldn't be allowed to shoot her in the back.

Then again.  I'm a well adjusted adult.  Perhaps GOP supporters see it differently.  We will simply have to agree to disagree.

So it's about politics, explains why personal responsibility is being overlooked.

She would be alive today if she hadn't put herself in the man's home.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:She would be alive today if she hadn't put herself in the man's home.

Correct, and that has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not this man should be charged. No one here disputes that it is illegal to break into someone else's house or to physically beat someone. No one here disputes the idea that these crimes deserve a fitting sentence.

Does a woman who is pleading for her life while running away from you present a threat that would require the use of lethal force? That is the issue.

You and several others here say "Yes". I say "No".

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:She would be alive today if she hadn't put herself in the man's home.

Correct, and that has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not this man should be charged.  No one here disputes that it is illegal to break into someone else's house or to physically beat someone.  No one here disputes the idea that these crimes deserve a fitting sentence.

Does a woman who is pleading for her life while running away from you present a threat that would require the use of lethal force?  That is the issue.  

You and several others here say "Yes".  I say "No".

Did they have a vehicle in the alley? Would they return and kill the old man? It was over hen he fired the shot.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I don't know why this man talked to the media. He should have kept his mouth shut. The police and the DA should be able to find out whether there were prior burglaries, if they were reported. I feel immensely sorry for the victim of the crime; no doubt he was targeted because he was elderly and had significant assets. That doesn't excuse him shooting another human being in the back. He will have to be charged...I'm guessing manslaughter. Again, that's why we have courts. I don't know whether mandatory minimum sentencing would apply. But he will have to have his day in court because he killed someone...not that I have much sympathy for either perp...I don't. But we can't try anyone here; we just simply don't have all the facts.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

the alleged accomplice, fled the scene, according to Greer and Chief McDonnell. He was later arrested and charged Friday with five felony counts, including murder in Miller’s death, residential robbery , burglary, grand theft firearm and possession of a firearm by a felon. He’s currently jailed on $1.25 million bond.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Floridatexan wrote:I don't know why this man talked to the media.  He should have kept his mouth shut.  The police and the DA should be able to find out whether there were prior burglaries, if they were reported.  I feel immensely sorry for the victim of the crime; no doubt he was targeted because he was elderly and had significant assets.  That doesn't excuse him shooting another human being in the back.  He will have to be charged...I'm guessing manslaughter.  Again, that's why we have courts.  I don't know whether mandatory minimum sentencing would apply.  But he will have to have his day in court because he killed someone...not that I have much sympathy for either perp...I don't.  But we can't try anyone here; we just simply don't have all the facts.

I imagine he suffered shock and in the process spoke out. None of us know what long term effects the event will have on the old man....physically, mentally and emotionally.

As for the robbery it was reported as his 4 th. In another break in the perps kicked his door down.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:Did they have a vehicle in the alley? Would they return and kill the old man?

Let's see.

Does a woman who is pleading for her life while running away from you present a threat that would require the use of lethal force?

Does a woman who is pleading for her life while running away from you - while a vehicle is present nearby - present a threat that would require the use of lethal force?

Hmm. The "Do they have a vehicle in the alley?" question appears to be completely irrelevant.

Also, you have to be under an "imminent threat" if you are to use lethal force for self defense. Fear that someone at some point in the future may come back and kill you does not represent an "imminent threat".

Ready to change your answer yet?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Did they have a vehicle in the alley? Would they return and kill the old man?

Let's see.

Does a woman who is pleading for her life while running away from you present a threat that would require the use of lethal force?

Does a woman who is pleading for her life while running away from you - while a vehicle is present nearby - present a threat that would require the use of lethal force?

Hmm.  The "Do they have a vehicle in the alley?" question appears to be completely irrelevant.

Also, you have to be under an "imminent threat" if you are to use lethal force for self defense.  Fear that someone at some point in the future may come back and kill you does not represent an "imminent threat".

Ready to change your answer yet?

Nope. She chose her own fate.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:Nope. She chose her own fate.  

To run to safety?

Makes me sick to think of something like this happening to my elderly parents.

This man is a victim of people who prey on those they consider helpless.

Worthless criminals in my book.

Personally, I'd call 911 and hide in a closet. Take the crap. It's not worth my life or criminals.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:

To run to safety?

To commit a felony......and to beat an elderly man.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

To run to safety?

You already stated that these crimes are not punishable by death.

Did you change your mind?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

To run to safety?

You already stated that these crimes are not punishable by death.  

Did you change your mind?

Nope......not a court case that has the death penalty.

But her death came in the commission of a felony. Again, she would be alive if she had not chosen to commit the criminal act.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:Nope......not a court case that has the death penalty.

But her death came in the commission of a felony. Again, she would be alive if she had not chosen to commit the criminal act.

Trying to understand your logic here.  So are you saying that it is OK to kill someone so long as they are in the act of committing of a felony?  Is that honestly how you feel the law works?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I hope we can speed up the executions. The upkeep we have to pay to keep these animals in prison is about what it costs to live at the Hyatt Regency.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Nope......not a court case that has the death penalty.

Trying to understand your logic here.  So are you saying that it is OK to kill someone so long as they are in the act of committing of a felony?  Is that honestly how you feel the law works?

No, I said, she was killed by a man she beat and robbed during a home invasion........the same thing I said before.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:No,  I said, she was killed by a man she beat and robbed during a home invasion........the same thing I said before.

Got it, so how do you get from that to the part where it is OK to shoot someone in the back while they're running away from you?

knothead

knothead

Joani, give it up girl . . . . you are dead wrong on this . . . . you continue to parrot your line about what she did . . . . BUT still she was shot in the back while trying to flee . . . . . that is or should not not be condoned.

Should the 80 year old man be charged in this case? - Page 4 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJyo747MACwzD4uFROtkTyXlPMlYTJ1eJyrQm6u2n7fzkXuIMA

Break into my house, beat the crap out of me, then be stupid enough to let me gain access to a firearm while you continue your pursuit of valuables and see if you walk out of it alive.

I don't think so.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEfSamRnA-c

Smile 

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

There is nothing to give up, Knot. It is my opinion, nothing more.

Beaten, broken and robbed......the man shot! Did he know for a fact they would not come back and kill him......No! 

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

As I said earlier in the thread, his only mistake was not lying to the authorities and telling them he thought she was brandishing a gun.

Should the 80 year old man be charged in this case? - Page 4 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuQxnueADtXA_twgwtx4xj_iqa4jTIPp2yaOKc3z-JFN4tEYQbYQ

Even a butcher knife from the kitchen laying beside the criminal would have been enough.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrZHPOeOxQQ

Smile 

knothead

knothead

Bob wrote:As I said earlier in the thread,  his only mistake was not lying to the authorities and telling them he thought she was brandishing a gun.  

Sadly this is a true statement Bob . . . . you posted the same previously and the old man aka OWG would have been better served if he had not told the truth!

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Damaged Eagle wrote:Should the 80 year old man be charged in this case? - Page 4 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJyo747MACwzD4uFROtkTyXlPMlYTJ1eJyrQm6u2n7fzkXuIMA

Break into my house, beat the crap out of me, then be stupid enough to let me gain access to a firearm while you continue your pursuit of valuables and see if you walk out of it alive.

I don't think so.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEfSamRnA-c

Smile 

I am in agreement with you, DE......

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum