Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should the 80 year old man be charged in this case?

+9
QueenOfHearts
Sal
Markle
Hospital Bob
2seaoat
dumpcare
knothead
Joanimaroni
boards of FL
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Should the 80 year old man be charged in this case?

Should the 80 year old man be charged in this case? I_vote_lcap39%Should the 80 year old man be charged in this case? I_vote_rcap 39% [ 7 ]
Should the 80 year old man be charged in this case? I_vote_lcap61%Should the 80 year old man be charged in this case? I_vote_rcap 61% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 18

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/25/justice/california-slain-burglar-pregnant/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) -- Tom Greer says he fought back when he was attacked by intruders at his home. When he got his gun and fired at them, they ran.
The 80-year-old homeowner says one of the fleeing burglars, a woman, shouted, "I'm pregnant!" He shot her twice, killing her.

The district attorney will decide Friday whether Greer will face criminal charges.

Long Beach Police Chief Jim McDonnell said Greer walked into his house Tuesday to find suspects Andrea Miller, 26, and Gus Adams, 28, ransacking it. According to McDonnell, Greer said this was the fourth time his house has been burglarized.

Police say the couple beat and threw the elderly man to the ground, causing him to suffer a broken collarbone, cuts and bruises.

Despite his injuries, Greer managed to grab his gun and fire at the suspects, causing them to flee through the garage and into the alley, police said.

In an interview with non-CNN affiliate KNBC, Greer said that as the suspects ran into the alley, Miller yelled, "'Don't shoot me, I'm pregnant! I'm going to have a baby!' and I shot her anyway."

Miller died in the alley, the police chief said.

In a press conference, McDonnell said the coroner will make the final determination of whether Miller was pregnant, but said it "wasn't obvious" if she was.

When asked by KNBC how he felt about the incident, Greer responded that he had no regrets.

"I had to do what I had to do."

The male suspect fled the scene, according to Greer. Adams was later arrested and charged with residential robbery and felony murder in Miller's death. He is currently being held on $1.25 million bond.

Should the 80 year old man be charged in this case? 140725131420-gus-adams-andrea-miller-mugshots-story-top

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

It is yet to be determined if she was pregnant......so that is a sympathy ploy.

They could have killed the older man....and he could still suffer a heart attack from the stress.

No, the man was within his rights.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Whether or not she was pregnant is irrelevant in my mind.  The article seems to state that the suspects were fleeing.  It's a tricky case.  

At the time of the killing when the woman was lying there pleading for her life, was the 80 year old man's life being threatened such that lethal force would be justified?  I don't think so.

In an interview with non-CNN affiliate KNBC, Greer said that as the suspects ran into the alley, Miller yelled, "'Don't shoot me, I'm pregnant! I'm going to have a baby!' and I shot her anyway."

knothead

knothead

I saw this on cable news and heard his statements. He absolutely should be held to account for the shootings in my mind. The suspects were not armed and had fled the residence therefore not posing any risk of further harm to him or his property. Because he was 80 is irrelevant and because she was pregnant (or not) could play a role based how it plays out and that states' laws. What are they going to do give him life?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Firing the gun caused them to start to flee......I have no sympathy for home invaders.

dumpcare

He will get off as he should. If someone invaded my house and had their ass out by back door before my gun was in hand I chase them till I saw their eyes rolling around in the back of their heads. Then drag their ass back to the back door.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I had a guy seek refuge in my garage late one night, while running from a deputy. The guy was 18, over 6 feet tall and high on drugs. I was home alone with my kids and it scared the hell out of me.

It takes a very long time to get over an incident like that, especially when you live in a safe neighborhood. Your home is where you should be able to feel safe and secure.

The man that was with her was appropriately charged with her death. The decision to commit crime carries inherent risks.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:Firing the gun caused them to start to flee......I have no sympathy for home invaders.

The article makes it sound more as if he fired, they fled, he followed, the woman pleaded, and "I shot her anyways."

It doesn't sound as if he was under any threat that would allow the use of lethal force.

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/man-shot-burglar-pregnant-24704576

"The lady didn't run as fast as the man, so I shot her in the back twice," Greer told the TV station. "She's dead ... but he got away."

Does that change anyone's mind?

Under California law, homeowners can defend themselves if they are in "imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death," he said.

Yes... now I think he should get a medal.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:Yes... now I think he should get a medal.

What, in your mind, should be the minimal requirement to use lethal force?

If shooting someone who is running away from you in the back is a justified use of lethal force, can you give me an example of something that would not be a justified use of lethal force? Where do internet libertarians draw the line on this issue? Say a kid walks through your flower garden. Lethal force?

Yes... criminals should not be allowed to use lethal force... unless other criminals are committing a crime against them.

boards of FL

boards of FL

The question was...

If shooting someone who is running away from you in the back is a justified use of lethal force, can you give me an example of something that would not be a justified use of lethal force? Where do internet libertarians draw the line on this issue? Say a kid walks through your flower garden. Lethal force?

dumpcare

So he's an AOM (angry old man) that just had his home invaded, not thinking straight, scared, sure he is justified. Remember 80 years old he feared for his life, they could have very well have turned around and came back. He will get off. Bet ya.

2seaoat

Jury nullification is common. It however does not change the law. I do not have all the facts. I will simply say at some point the emotional I have had enough of this chit factor comes into play, but in the end we are either a nation of laws or we are not. The problem I have is with all the discretion being taken away from the judge by our legislators who want to get tough on crime, this 80 year old may be facing mandatory sentencing which would mean the man will die in jail. My guess he will be charged, found guilty, and be allowed out on bond until his appeals are exhausted which will make him 90 something, and the Governor will grant clemency. Chasing an unarmed woman down an alley and shooting her twice in the back, is a crime. The fact that the woman had committed a crime does not excuse the behavior unless the shooter who is aged had a reasonable belief that they would double back and attack him and he acted in misguided self defense......that based on the facts given, does not seem to be the case.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

bds wrote:

Simple.  Being the victim of a home invasion.  

If you don't want to get a bullet in you then don't do home invasions.  Because regardless of whatever any law says,  I would do exactly what the victim did.

But you keep asking us the question.  Now we have a question for you.
Do you agree with the male home invader being charged with murder?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The only mistake the old man made was telling the truth to the cops.
He should have lied and said something like "she turned and I thought she had a gun in her hand".  Problem solved.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I bet seaoat is pissed because he can't blame this on racism since the perps are white. lol

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:Do you agree with the male home invader being charged with murder?

Nope. He is guilty of battery and home invasion.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Let me ask you all this:  Say the burglars were able to escape unharmed but were later caught by the police.  

Should they face the death penalty?

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
Bob wrote:Do you agree with the male home invader being charged with murder?

Nope.  He is guilty of battery and home invasion.

If anyone is killed in the commission of a felony, all are guilty of murder. Even if that other person is a "get away" driver.

He should be tried and convicted of murder, assault, batter, home invasion and most anything else they can apply.

The man had been robbed three times before, he was badly beaten and in sever pain. He had no way of knowing if they would come back and kill him.

NO charges against the elderly man, perhaps an award and parade.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:

The man had been robbed three times before, he was badly beaten and in sever pain.

These liberals couldn't care less about that, markle. They care only about the perps. lol

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:If anyone is killed in the commission of a felony, all are guilty of murder.  Even if that other person is a "get away" driver.

He should be tried and convicted of murder, assault, batter, home invasion and most anything else they can apply.

You clearly aren't interpreting that law correctly.

boards of FL

boards of FL

boards of FL wrote:Let me ask you all this:  Say the burglars were able to escape unharmed but were later caught by the police.  

Should they face the death penalty?

Anyone care to answer this?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum