Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Confederate Flag and Southern Sensibilities ....

+6
TEOTWAWKI
2seaoat
Sal
Hospital Bob
EmeraldGhost
Wordslinger
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Wordslinger wrote:

None of the other mass killers idolized the Rebel flag.  Dylann Roof was your team's mascot.  

I couldn't agree more.  Everybody on this team (everybody born in the south) thinks exactly like Dylan Roof.
The only way this country will ever be great again is for the good lord to smite southerners.  That way the rest of the country which has only loving, tolerant people in it can move into the south and make things great again.
I'm praying for a category 20 hurricane to come and wipe the south clean of southerners.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

And I know what you're thinking. For me and wordslinger to say everybody in the south agrees with Dylan Roof is another form of bigotry and another form of prejudice.
Bullshit. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. There can be no bigotry against southerners. Because unlike black people and hispanics and muslims and yankees and every other group of people, everybody in the south IS exactly the same. They all have the same ideas. And they all look alike.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:everybody in the south IS exactly the same.  They all have the same ideas.  And they all look alike.  

The Confederate Flag and Southern Sensibilities .... - Page 2 46b3202c726e174f8ea6bfde10dcdbb8

Bob, stand for who you are and don't back down from being Southern.  It's not a plague.  

Someone told me, after my husband and I were moving about with the Army, that I should work on my drawl.  I asked them, "Do I not speak with proper syntax?"  They replied, "I don't know about that but people will think you are not educated."

Razz Razz Razz Razz

God bless my family and my excellent Southern heritage.  Not many of us have guns, we don't fly the confederate flag, we do enjoy NASCAR, and we can cook up a mean mess of greens.  We're going to feed you and treat you like family.  We're not stuck in the 1950s or any other generation.  By golly, we love our iPhone and Mac Book Pro.  Talk bad about our family, our neighbors, our places of worship - we're going to remind you what good manners are all about.  You may point out all the differences between us but we'll come right back and let you know how we accept you.  

Go on and hate.  It will eat you up right through to your core.  Hate is not something we do in my family.  There are plenty of people in the South that have some issues.  We used to allow them to sit on the front porch with the rest of us but then we had to send them off to the doc to get their meds. Unfortunately they don't always take them.  They go off and do some awful things.  Hurts our hearts deeply these folks feel hate.  Not sure where they went wrong.  But like the wonderful people of the Charleston church - we forgive.  It's always about issues of the heart.

Last edited by SheWrites on 7/10/2015, 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:
Bob wrote:everybody in the south IS exactly the same.  They all have the same ideas.  And they all look alike.  

The Confederate Flag and Southern Sensibilities .... - Page 2 46b3202c726e174f8ea6bfde10dcdbb8
I don't understand. We were talking about southerners. Why did you post a picture of an actor who was born in the Bronx?

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
I don't understand.  We were talking about southerners.  Why did you post a picture of an actor who was born in the Bronx?  

You emulate a Bronx actor's imitation of a Southerner in an effort to appear more masculine??

That's kinda weird.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:
Bob wrote:
I don't understand.  We were talking about southerners.  Why did you post a picture of an actor who was born in the Bronx?  

You emulate a Bronx actor's imitation of a Southerner in an effort to appear more masculine??

That's kinda weird.

Huh.  Say what?

I'm not from the Bronx doing an imitation of something.  I'm from the actual place the actor from the Bronx is attempting to emulate on a sound stage at Desilu Studios...

The Confederate Flag and Southern Sensibilities .... - Page 2 Tags-1961-07-18-003

My family is not far from the actual Mayberry (Mt. Airy).  
So how is it that I'm imitating something?  And what does masculinity have to do with it?
Weird is right.  But it's your mind that's weird.

Last edited by Bob on 7/10/2015, 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

And by the way,  the lead actor in that television series (seen in the photo in my last post) is,  like me,  really from that area of North Carolina.  Not the Bronx.
And that actor would have been one of the first voices in Hollywood to say "take down that flag".  And that's after he returned to NC to live out the rest of his life.
Not to mention that all the rest of his politics agreed lockstep with yours.

So what does that do to your stereotype?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

There's one thing I'm just not going to stomach from self-righteous hypocrites like you and seaoat.
And that's your bigotry against queers and your bigotry against southerners. And especially your bigotry against southerners who happen to be queer. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:"You wanna make a mistake writing about Southerners?  Generalize - rationalize - you'll make a mistake about Southerners.

~~~ Pulitzer Prizer winning author, Rick Bragg

He was recently inducted in the Alabama Writers Hall of Fame along with Harper Lee.

I have to come to the defense of wordslinger on this.  He too is an accomplished professional screenwriter and author.  So we'll have to call it a draw on that one.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

In fact,  wordslinger,  if during your tenure in Hollywood you learned anything interesting about the production of The Andy Griffith Show I would be grateful if you would share it.   The Andy Griffith Show is one of my obsessions.

Bob wrote:
SheWrites wrote:"You wanna make a mistake writing about Southerners?  Generalize - rationalize - you'll make a mistake about Southerners.

~~~ Pulitzer Prizer winning author, Rick Bragg

He was recently inducted in the Alabama Writers Hall of Fame along with Harper Lee.

I have to come to the defense of wordslinger on this.  He too is an accomplished professional screenwriter and author.  So we'll have to call it a draw on that one.

I don't think I said anything that would call for a defense of Wordslinger.  I know he's a writer.  

My quote is from Rick Bragg...a  Southerner who writes of his heritage (what a story) and calls out the things about the South that are a blemish on an otherwise beautiful place and people.  

So defend if you will but I was not attacking.   But I do feel Rick says it best when he says you cannot generalize.  

This bigoted thread from Wordslinger is a generalization.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal,

Read my posts. Read SheWrites' posts. See even though we're both proud southerners doesn't mean we agree on stuff.

It's like this. Some southerners are homophobes. Some southerners are not homophobes. So there really is no one-fits-all stereotype on that.

Unlike Muslims, all of which are homophobes.
Unlike Christians, all of which are homophobes.

And I applaud those who claim to be Christians and Muslims who are not homophobes. But they aren't really Christians and Muslims.
Both of em's book is "the word of god". And both of em's book clearly gives the reason why god is a homophobe. To claim to be a christian or muslim and not believe that is a repudiation of god. And nobody who repudiates god can be a christian or muslim. That would be some other religion.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Bob wrote:

And I applaud those who claim to be Christians and Muslims who are not homophobes.  But they aren't really Christians and Muslims.
Both of em's book is "the word of god".  And both of em's book clearly gives the reason why god is a homophobe.  To claim to be a christian or muslim and not believe that is a repudiation of god.  And nobody who repudiates god can be a christian or muslim.  That would be some other religion.

Damn. It just occurs to me that what I wrote above is coming from a similiar mindset to what wordslinger has about religion.
Something's just not right with that picture. How can I think like wordslinger when southerners are not supposed to think like that.
I bet I just violated the rules of the Stereotype Police. lol

Bob wrote:Sal,

Read my posts.  Read SheWrites' posts.  See even though we're both proud southerners doesn't mean we agree on stuff.  

It's like this.  Some southerners are homophobes.  Some southerners are not homophobes.  So there really is no one-fits-all stereotype on that.

Unlike Muslims,  all of which are homophobes.  
Unlike Christians,  all of which are homophobes.

And I applaud those who claim to be Christians and Muslims who are not homophobes.  But they aren't really Christians and Muslims.
Both of em's book is "the word of god".  And both of em's book clearly gives the reason why god is a homophobe.  To claim to be a christian or muslim and not believe that is a repudiation of god.  And nobody who repudiates god can be a christian or muslim.  That would be some other religion.

I'm a Christian - not a homophobe. But you say I'm not by your whacked logic.

Trust me...I am truly laughing out loud over this.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:

I'm a Christian - not a homophobe.  But you say I'm not by your whacked logic.  

Well first of all,  if you keep having to listen to me go on and on about homophobia ad nauseum,  that will most likely turn you into a homophobe.  It would me.  So don't rule it out just yet.  lol

I repeat,  your book says homosexuality is a sin.  
If you don't think homosexuality is a sin,  then you are repudiating the word of God.  
There is no interpretation or conceptualization of Christianity which permits any repudiation of God.  
To repudiate God is my religion.  And trust me,  my religion has no resemblance to yours.  lol

This is no different than when Brother Carl tried to tell me Obama was BOTH a muslim and a marxist.  When common sense tells us no muslim can ever accept the concept that "religion is the opiate of the masses".
In this case,  common sense tells us that when the word of God says homosexuality is a sin,  that no Christian can dispute God on that and still be a Christian.
And the same holds true for seaoat's muslim poker buddies.

polecat

polecat

The Confederate Flag and Southern Sensibilities .... - Page 2 Heritage

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

The idea that a flag of the Confederacy encapsulates everything "Southern" is just stupid. Sure, we who were born in the South have much to cherish...but the sad, sordid, revolting history of slavery in the South should be reviled by every Southerner...period.

And, Teo...drugs I'm sure played a part in Dylan Roof's murderous rampage, but drugs alone did not cause the hatred that grew in his soul.

Bob wrote:
SheWrites wrote:

I'm a Christian - not a homophobe.  But you say I'm not by your whacked logic.  

Well first of all,  if you keep having to listen to me go on and on about homophobia ad nauseum,  that will most likely turn you into a homophobe.  It would me.  So don't rule it out just yet.  lol

I repeat,  your book says homosexuality is a sin.  
If you don't think homosexuality is a sin,  then you are repudiating the word of God.  
There is no interpretation or conceptualization of Christianity which permits any repudiation of God.  
To repudiate God is my religion.  And trust me,  my religion has no resemblance to yours.  lol

This is no different than when Brother Carl tried to tell me Obama was BOTH a muslim and a marxist.  When common sense tells us no muslim can ever accept the concept that "religion is the opiate of the masses".
In this case,  common sense tells us that when the word of God says homosexuality is a sin,  that no Christian can dispute God on that and still be a Christian.
And the same holds true for seaoat's muslim poker buddies.

You are picking choosing, Bob, and making invalid statements.

Did Jesus dispute God when he said, "Love your neighbor as yourself?"

Did Jesus dispute God when he told the pharisees, "He who is without sin cast the first stone" as he showed compassion to an adulterous woman?

There's a big picture. You continue to camp on those folks who see through their own narrow eyes of judgement.

But we've had this discussion before...

And who, pray tell, is Cousin Carl?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

This is for Bob:

http://www.christianpost.com/news/matthew-vines-says-most-christians-are-wrong-homosexuality-is-not-a-sin-82026/page2.html

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

For She Writes: Yes, I'm stridently opposed to southerners who choose to ignore how their hateful Rebel flag offends so many of their fellow Americans, black, white, and green.

I absolutely believe you when you claim you and your family are and were good people. I accept that. But if it's true, why then would you insist the Rebel flag remain flying on State or Federal property, when it is so clearly offensive to so very many people?

Do your southern sensibilities outweigh those of African Americans? I can't wait to hear you defend your position ...

Wordslinger wrote:For She Writes:  Yes, I'm stridently opposed to southerners who choose to ignore how their hateful Rebel flag offends so many of their fellow Americans, black, white, and green.  

I absolutely believe you when you claim you and your family are and were good people.  I accept that.  But if it's true, why then would you insist the Rebel flag remain flying on State or Federal property, when it is so clearly offensive to so very many people?

Do your southern sensibilities outweigh those of African Americans?  I can't wait to hear you defend your position ...

Have I said, anywhere, that I "insist the Rebel flag remain flying on State or Federal property."  No, I have not.

I have addressed the issue that the confederate flag should not be revered.  Should it be in a history museum?  Yes.  

Why would I want any of my life to outweigh anything of any African American's lives.  We all are created equal...we are neighbors, friends, and attend church together.  

The point is, Wordslinger, your aim is to backhand an entire region because there are inequalities.  Inequalities happen on a daily basis in all areas of the world.  At this time, because of the acts of one young man, we all are blamed.

You don't believe in God so I conclude you do not  believe in a single life judgement. I do and this young man will stand alone in his judgement.  His hate, his murderous escapade, whether on drugs or mentally ill or just plain mean, is his own.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Brother Carl (not Cousin) is a lot of things, SheWrites. But he shares one distinction with wordslinger. He's gotten paid to write stuff.
Since I was never able to do that, I always give at least some deference to anyone who has.

Sal

Sal

You're the one who told us that you intentionally speak with an exaggerated southern accent like Earnest T. Bass and that you act like a good ol' boy in the redneck bars, Bob.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum