Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Confederate Flag and Southern Sensibilities ....

+6
TEOTWAWKI
2seaoat
Sal
Hospital Bob
EmeraldGhost
Wordslinger
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Now we're supposed to be concerned about Southern sensibilities? The Confederate flag began with the premise that it was perfectly alright to own and exploit some people, and when all the States that believed in that crapola turned traitor on their country, the created their own flag. Later the KKK adopted the same foul symbol, which is still the leading icon for southern white racist extremists throughout Dixie. Dylann Roof was proud to wave that flag -- and he's as southern fried as you can be.

Ever since the end of the Civil War -- when the racist bastards of the deep south had their asses kicked -- the same southern racists have known very well how its very sight was an affront to every African-American. They didn't give a shit for black sensibilities or the sensibilities of decent Americans across the country, and they still don't.

I haven't the foggiest idea what part of being descended from people who approved of slavery, abuse, oppression and cruelty ranks as something today's southerners hold dear. In fact, somebody tell me just what is so precious about that Southern heritage? There's nothing about the deep south that sounds the least charming to genuine human beings.

" I haven't the foggiest idea what part of being descended from people who approved of slavery, abuse, oppression and cruelty ranks as something today's southerners hold dear."

I wonder the same thing about progressives.

PkrBum wrote:" I haven't the foggiest idea what part of being descended from people who approved of slavery, abuse, oppression and cruelty ranks as something today's southerners hold dear."

I wonder the same thing about progressives.

The Confederate Flag and Southern Sensibilities .... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjFWeHVWOAtQjDWkqxF1yNpX7ykYWRZn5ozvFg0B3TwZG_y0LGFg

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkVCKdPSzvI

Smile

Wordslinger wrote:

I haven't the foggiest idea what part of being descended from people who approved of slavery, abuse, oppression and cruelty ranks as something today's southerners hold dear.  In fact, somebody tell me just what is so precious about that Southern heritage?  There's nothing about the deep south that sounds the least charming to genuine human beings.

My Southern family was not slave owners. Just poor farmers in Mississippi. My Southern heritage is precious - I've written of my grandmother raising 7 kids on her own. She genuinely loved people and helped ALL - regardless of the color of their skin. Her children grew up to inherit her beautiful love for mankind and her hospitality.

You, Wordslinger, are a cold man. If you take on political issues and paste them over the beauty of the people and true culture of the South...that's your problem and sure comes off as highly bigoted.

The talent found in Southern musicians, artists, writers...you need to experience something outside of your bigoted view of my heritage.

You offend me. And I know you could care less.

Your opinions of the bad that clearly happened in the South, no one can deny it, clouds an intelligent possibility of all the good there is in the South.

Why the heck do you live here?

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Wordslinger wrote:
I haven't the foggiest idea what part of being descended from people who approved of slavery, abuse, oppression and cruelty ranks as something today's southerners hold dear.

What part of being descended from people who enshrined official support/sanction of the institution of slavery within it's very Constitution do Americans hold dear? Ever hear of Article IV, Section 2, Clause 3 of the United States Constitution? Also known as the Fugitive Slave Clause. Ever hear of the Fugitive Slave Acts of 1793 and 1850? Yes, Virginia .... slavery was entirely legal in the United States up until after the civil war ... and approved of by many in the North.

What part of being descended from people who sold their own people into slavery do blacks hold dear?

What part of being descended from yankee ship owners & merchants who became wealthy via the trans-Atlantic slave trade do northerners hold dear?

What part of being descended from people who engaged in indentured-servitude to northerners hold dear?

What part of being descended from northern factory owners who engaged in child labor do northerners hold dear?

What part of being descended from people who engaged in torture and who massacred white pioneers despite their tribes having made treaties with them do Native Americans hold dear?

What part of being descended from people who engaged in witch trials, burnings, and hangings do people hold dear?

What part of being descended from people who engaged in the rape of Nanking; enslaved Korean men into forced labor; and enslaved Korean women into prostitution do Japanese-Americans hold dear?

What part of being being descended from people (Spanish/Aztecs/Mayas) who engaged in slavery do Mexican-American's hold dear?

New York State did not passed it's first gradual abolition law in 1799 and did not finally abolish slavery until 1827 (New York slave owners just sold them over the river into New Jersey ... how convenient.)

Massachusetts was the center for the trans-Atlantic slave trade. Slavery was common in 18th century Mass.

There were over 11,000 slaves in New Jersey in 1799. 6.2% of the population. A gradual abolition law did not come about until 1804 and mostly just converted them to indentured servants for life. Full abolition did not come about till 1846 ... but even that only converted them to "apprentices" for their masters.

etc etc

There's more to the South than just slavery, 'WordSlinger' ... and slavery is not what the flag represents nor is the idea of it "something Southerners today hold dear" as you so incorrectly assume. The so-called "civil war" was about secession & the limits of State sovereignty. Slavery was just the economic trigger event. Not a lot of people in the northern States previously had much of a problem with the Southern states engaging in slavery ... they knew the benefited from it. Lincoln himself said if he could preserve the Union without freeing one slave he would do so ... yet he is revered and no one is talking about tearing his statue down?

No slight to African-Americans .... but, sorry, the civil-war was not just all about you.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

"The South" is now two places. The urban south is one place. The rural south is quite a different place.

Take a more urban place, like Charlotte or Nashville or Atlanta. Once upon a time conservative places, they're now liberal places.

Take a rural place, like Bonifay or Waycross or Demopolis. Still conservative places.

But this ambiguity is not found only in "the south". Exactly the same thing exists in California. The urban coast is liberal. The rural central valley, conservative.

Sal

Sal

You can substitute the terms "erudite" for "liberal" and "ignorant" for "conservative".

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

SheWrites wrote:
My Southern family was not slave owners.  Just poor farmers in Mississippi. My Southern heritage is precious -

My "Southern family" were slave owners .... they owned as many as 12 (2 families) for about 15 years prior to the civil war.   They were originally from Baltimore & New York ... and Germany before that.  They fought in the American Revolution (for the "patriot" side) They assisted those former slave families after the war, first by setting them up as share-croppers and later by selling them land on the cheap ... and even outright giving them some.   My family were friends with those families & their descendants right up into the 1970's when I was a teen.  I was friends with, went to school, played football with, and hauled hay right along side with some of their descendants.  I can recall coming home from my school that had been integrated (without problems) for some years & watching Walter Cronkite telling us about busing and race riots in the north.  

If you really study history, you will find most people today in the South are not descended from the large cruel plantation owners popular history likes to tell us about - and what slavery they did engage in was not the same thing.  It was a more small-scale thing.   Those big plantations along the Mississippi River and along the Atlantic Seaboard were established mostly by French & English immigrants & pre-existed the immigration of the people's from the American north most white Southerners are descended from today.

I am also the descendant of Mississippi Choctaw Indians ... and that's a whole 'nother story. Would you like to discuss "The Trail of Tears" conducted under the good ole Stars-and=Stripes? Shall we ban that flag as well?

I am proud of all the peoples from whom I am descended ... and I recognize they were not all saints and they were not all sinners.  They were people of their time and they were, by and large, good people.

Last edited by EmeraldGhost on 7/9/2015, 8:50 am; edited 2 times in total

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Tell us where your people are from 'WordSlinger.'

What's your history ... betch we can find some things to tell you ought to be ashamed of.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Bob wrote:"The South" is now two places.  The urban south is one place.  The rural south is quite a different place.

Take a more urban place,  like Charlotte or Nashville or Atlanta.  Once upon a time conservative places,  they're now liberal places.

Take a rural place,  like Bonifay or Waycross or Demopolis.  Still conservative places.

But this ambiguity is not found only in "the south".  Exactly the same thing exists in California.  The urban coast is liberal.  The rural central valley,  conservative.

It's also why we have a Senate and a House of Representatives.

"You wanna make a mistake writing about Southerners? Generalize - rationalize - you'll make a mistake about Southerners.

~~~ Pulitzer Prizer winning author, Rick Bragg

He was recently inducted in the Alabama Writers Hall of Fame along with Harper Lee.

Sal wrote:You can substitute the terms "erudite" for "liberal" and "ignorant" for "conservative".

The Confederate Flag and Southern Sensibilities .... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjFpmkZKjEhZoL1SvJP4y6xRVLEqYr1l8YaU6bPvOgNmBr2eCu8Q

Yeah that's right. All those there city folk are educated and intellectual while all those country folk are just stupid peasants in your mind. Nothin' discriminating or bigoted about that thought.

*****FART*****
IN YOUR GENERAL DIRECTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqQ9Ozu_q2U

Smile

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

EmeraldGhost wrote:Tell us where your people are from 'WordSlinger.'  

What's your history ... betch we can find some things to tell you ought to be ashamed of.

No doubt you could. But you don't find me insisting that any flag that was dedicated to remembering the wrongs my ancestors committed, remain flying over state property. The difference between you and me is that I don't find anything charming or sacrosanct about the wrongs my people committed. Too bad you can't say the same.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

EmeraldGhost wrote:
SheWrites wrote:
My Southern family was not slave owners.  Just poor farmers in Mississippi. My Southern heritage is precious -

My "Southern family" were slave owners .... they owned as many as 12 (2 families) for about 15 years prior to the civil war.   They were originally from Baltimore & New York ... and Germany before that.  They fought in the American Revolution (for the "patriot" side) They assisted those former slave families after the war, first by setting them up as share-croppers and later by selling them land on the cheap ... and even outright giving them some.   My family were friends with those families & their descendants right up into the 1970's when I was a teen.  I was friends with, went to school, played football with, and hauled hay right along side with some of their descendants.  I can recall coming home from my school that had been integrated (without problems) for some years & watching Walter Cronkite telling us about busing and race riots in the north.  

If you really study history, you will find most people today in the South are not descended from the large cruel plantation owners popular history likes to tell us about - and what slavery they did engage in was not the same thing.  It was a more small-scale thing.   Those big plantations along the Mississippi River and along the Atlantic Seaboard were established mostly by French & English immigrants & pre-existed the immigration of the people's from the American north most white Southerners are descended from today.

I am also the descendant of Mississippi Choctaw Indians ... and that's a whole 'nother story.  Would you like to discuss "The Trail of Tears" conducted under the good ole Stars-and=Stripes?  Shall we ban that flag as well?

I am proud of all the peoples from whom I am descended ... and I recognize they were not all saints and they were not all sinners.  They were people of their time and they were, by and large, good people.

Pretending that your slave-holding ancestors were really nice to their slaves after the Civil War doesn't in the least forgive the sick, degenerate fact that before they were forced to give up owning people -- with the right of breaking up families, etc. -- they were all too happy and content with the practice. You southerners seem to think that if the white slave holder was reasonably considerate about his two-legged properties, it was all OKAY. Bullshit, and you know I'm right.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

EmeraldGhost wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:
I haven't the foggiest idea what part of being descended from people who approved of slavery, abuse, oppression and cruelty ranks as something today's southerners hold dear.

What part of being descended from people who enshrined official support/sanction of the institution of slavery within it's very Constitution do Americans hold dear?   Ever hear of Article IV, Section 2, Clause 3 of the United States Constitution?  Also known as the Fugitive Slave Clause.   Ever hear of the Fugitive Slave Acts of 1793 and 1850?   Yes, Virginia .... slavery was entirely legal in the United States up until after the civil war ... and approved of by many in the North.  

What part of being descended from people who sold their own people into slavery do blacks hold dear?

What part of being descended from yankee ship owners & merchants who became wealthy via the trans-Atlantic slave trade do northerners hold dear?

What part of being descended from people who engaged in indentured-servitude to northerners hold dear?

What part of being descended from northern factory owners who engaged in child labor do northerners hold dear?

What part of being descended from people who engaged in torture and who massacred white pioneers despite their tribes having made treaties with them do Native Americans hold dear?

What part of being descended from people who engaged in witch trials, burnings, and hangings do people hold dear?

What part of being descended from people who engaged in the rape of Nanking; enslaved Korean men into forced labor; and enslaved Korean women into prostitution do Japanese-Americans hold dear?

What part of being being descended from people (Spanish/Aztecs/Mayas) who engaged in slavery do Mexican-American's hold dear?

New York State did not passed it's first gradual abolition law in 1799 and did not finally abolish slavery until 1827 (New York slave owners just sold them over the river into New Jersey ... how convenient.)

Massachusetts was the center for the trans-Atlantic slave trade.  Slavery was common in 18th century Mass.

There were over 11,000 slaves in New Jersey in 1799.  6.2% of the population.    A gradual abolition law did not come about until 1804 and mostly just converted them to indentured servants for life.   Full abolition did not come about till 1846 ... but even that only converted them to "apprentices" for their masters.    

etc etc

There's more to the South than just slavery, 'WordSlinger' ... and slavery is not what the flag represents nor is the idea of it "something Southerners today hold dear" as you so incorrectly assume.   The so-called "civil war" was about secession & the limits of State sovereignty.  Slavery was just the economic trigger event.    Not a lot of people in the northern States previously had much of a problem with the Southern states engaging in slavery ... they knew the benefited from it.  Lincoln himself said if he could preserve the Union without freeing one slave he would do so ... yet he is revered and no one is talking about tearing his statue down?

No slight to African-Americans .... but, sorry, the civil-war was not just all about you.

I don't know of any cases of northerners arguing that their symbols of racial hatred must remain flying on state property. Do you?

Wordslinger wrote:
EmeraldGhost wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:

What part of being descended from people who enshrined official support/sanction of the institution of slavery within it's very Constitution do Americans hold dear?   Ever hear of Article IV, Section 2, Clause 3 of the United States Constitution?  Also known as the Fugitive Slave Clause.   Ever hear of the Fugitive Slave Acts of 1793 and 1850?   Yes, Virginia .... slavery was entirely legal in the United States up until after the civil war ... and approved of by many in the North.  

Massachusetts was the center for the trans-Atlantic slave trade.  Slavery was common in 18th century Mass.

There were over 11,000 slaves in New Jersey in 1799.  6.2% of the population.    A gradual abolition law did not come about until 1804 and mostly just converted them to indentured servants for life.   Full abolition did not come about till 1846 ... but even that only converted them to "apprentices" for their masters.    

etc etc

There's more to the South than just slavery, 'WordSlinger' ... and slavery is not what the flag represents nor is the idea of it "something Southerners today hold dear" as you so incorrectly assume.   The so-called "civil war" was about secession & the limits of State sovereignty.  Slavery was just the economic trigger event.    Not a lot of people in the northern States previously had much of a problem with the Southern states engaging in slavery ... they knew the benefited from it.  Lincoln himself said if he could preserve the Union without freeing one slave he would do so ... yet he is revered and no one is talking about tearing his statue down?

I don't know of any cases of northerners arguing that their symbols of racial hatred must remain flying on state property.  Do you?

Actually I saw northerners in Illinois flying the confederate flag at their Klan rally. As disgusting there as it is in a Southern state.

I don't hold all Northern folks guilty of that transgression.

What's your real reason for all this, Wordslinger? Admit it you are a hater of Christians and Southerners.

You can wrap it up in a "slave" issue but that's a cop out. You just hate Christians and Southerners.

Admit it.

2seaoat

I don't know of any cases of northerners arguing that their symbols of racial hatred must remain flying on state property. Do you?

There are non because it was those states which saved the union and defeated the terrorists.  However, do not be fooled that the flag does not fly on many statehouses, those states share in the hate, and the belief that a black man is somehow inferior to a white man and even during the civil war there were many in all the states which shared this hate, but as much as you will ridicule me for my beliefs, it was in the churches of New England that the abolition movement gained traction and made the evil institution and beliefs of those who attempted to justify slavery have to defend the evil institution.  The hate however, was nationwide and the belief of inferiority of the black man had no state boundaries and is not just a Southern issue, but is a core political reality of the South.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

SheWrites wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:

I haven't the foggiest idea what part of being descended from people who approved of slavery, abuse, oppression and cruelty ranks as something today's southerners hold dear.  In fact, somebody tell me just what is so precious about that Southern heritage?  There's nothing about the deep south that sounds the least charming to genuine human beings.

My Southern family was not slave owners.  Just poor farmers in Mississippi. My Southern heritage is precious - I've written of my grandmother raising 7 kids on her own.  She genuinely loved people and helped ALL - regardless of the color of their skin.  Her children grew up to inherit her beautiful love for mankind and her hospitality. There's absolutely nothing exclusive to the south about a grandmother loving her grandchildren. Am I right?

You, Wordslinger, are a cold man.  If you take on political issues and paste them over the beauty of the people and true culture of the South...that's your problem and sure comes off as highly bigoted. I'm not complaining about the use of grits, key lime pie, or liking Johnny Cash. The issue, once again, is whether the hateful flag of the Confederacy, and all it represents, should be allowed to hang over state property. It's a cold hard fact that the KKK and virtually every white racist group of nutcases uses the stars and bars as its symbol. You want to pretend that flag doesn't really mean white racism, but that's exactly how it's read by most Americans.

The talent found in Southern musicians, artists, writers...you need to experience something outside of your bigoted view of my heritage.  

You offend me.  And I know you could care less.  Nobody is castigating the talents of southern artists. Certainly not me. But you're absolutely right about me being bigoted when it comes to lynching, slave owning, Jim Crow and all the accompanying horrors your ancestors and their neighbors thought were funny and proper.

Your opinions of the bad that clearly happened in the South, no one can deny it, clouds an intelligent possibility of all the good there is in the South.

Why the heck do you live here?  

I like the shrimp.

"I like the shrimp"

And complaining, self-loathing, casting dispersions, double standards, labeling, central govt controls, anti-americanism...

You're a busy comrade.

Wordslinger, you have the power of the pen and the mouth. You brush too wide a stroke in your OP of the South and its inhabitants who appreciate the heritage of their families.

You do realize there are people who live in the South who are not proud of the ugly marks in their history, right?

Words can heal.

You divide and continue to point out that which is not in everyone's closet.

You are offensive.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

SheWrites wrote:Wordslinger, you have the power of the pen and the mouth.  You brush too wide a stroke in your OP of the South and its inhabitants who appreciate the heritage of their families.  

You do realize there are people who live in the South who are not proud of the ugly marks in their history, right?

Words can heal.

You divide and continue to point out that which is not in everyone's closet.

You are offensive.

Squeaky wheels get the grease. For too long the majority of the people of the United States have been willing to look away when southerners insist on their "right" to memorialize slavery, Jim Crow and abject white racism. Dylann Ruth and all who are like him -- who idolize the hateful Stars and Bars flag exist in frightening numbers in Dixie because so many "good" southerners have been more than willing to put up with them. Screw southern sensibilities! If the shoe fits, wear it.

What a load of bull, Wordslinger.

The South is responsible for Dylan Ruth?

Let me pull out the list of haters in the last 25 years who have killed people in shopping malls, schools, theaters, federal buildings...the list goes on.

Do we have a region of people responsible for those?

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

SheWrites wrote:What a load of bull, Wordslinger.

Let me pull out the list of haters in the last 25 years who have killed people in shopping malls, schools, theaters, federal buildings...the list goes on.

None of the other mass killers idolized the Rebel flag. Dylann Roof was your team's mascot.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Wordslinger wrote:

None of the other mass killers idolized the Rebel flag.  Dylann Roof was your team's mascot.  

Actually it was probably drugs that were responsible for DR

The Confederate Flag and Southern Sensibilities .... ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fblkdmnds.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F06%2Fdylan-roof

Wordslinger wrote:

None of the other mass killers idolized the Rebel flag.  Dylann Roof was your team's mascot.  

The Confederate Flag and Southern Sensibilities .... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMc1vFl5TCxUbc56HxGUHhb8gGcXVTBdaCeaNbx2T2Khr8T1WBmw

That's right. Most of the other mass killers worshiped the progressive movement. Like the theatre shooter out in Colorado and the Heath High School prayer group shooter.

*****FART*****
IN YOUR GENERAL DIRECTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMQNqBB7Am4

Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum