Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Confederate Flag and Southern Sensibilities ....

+6
TEOTWAWKI
2seaoat
Sal
Hospital Bob
EmeraldGhost
Wordslinger
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

EmeraldGhost wrote:CAUTION!!!   Video below contains imagery of Southern heritage to which race-baiting liberal moonbats may take extreme faux-offense:

I love it, lots of confederate racist soldiers getting their asses kicked, and suffering. Give me more!! Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:

If the flag didn't symbolize racism to him, he is ignorant of history.  This is basically what I originally said.  Being black or being born in a different time doesn't mean that one is predisposed to understand history to a greater degree than anyone else.

Of course it doesn't.  Any 30 year old white kid knows more about African American history than an African American themselves.  Especially an African American who grew up in the south before integration.
Why I bet they didn't even take a class in it in college like you did,  the ignorant sons of bitches.

Lol bob... it must be nice to always think you know what's best for and in the best interest of the huddled masses.

Boards fancies himself part of the intellectual elite... entitled to reign over and police all peoples thoughts.

Between he and seagoat... we really don't have to say anything... they can see right into your soul like modern gods.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

If the flag didn't symbolize racism to him, he is ignorant of history.  This is basically what I originally said.  Being black or being born in a different time doesn't mean that one is predisposed to understand history to a greater degree than anyone else.

Of course it doesn't.  Any 30 year old white kid knows more about African American history than an African American themselves.  Especially an African American who grew up in the south before integration.
Why I bet they didn't even take a class in it in college like you did,  the ignorant sons of bitches.

As you make these comments, musicians are coming out and conceding that they were ignorant of history when they displayed the rebel flag.  Not my words.  Theirs.

As I said, if you fly the rebel flag you're either racist or you're ignorant of history.  

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/15/us/confederate-flag-whats-next/index.html

From the article:

Singer Tom Petty told Rolling Stone he was ignorant and "dumb" to use the Confederate flag as a backdrop for his Southern Accents tour in 1985.

"I was pretty ignorant of what it actually meant," Petty told the magazine. "It was on a flagpole in front of the courthouse, and I often saw it in Western movies. I just honestly didn't give it much thought, though I should have."

Petty said he supported the removal of the flag from the statehouse grounds and said the symbol "shouldn't represent us in any way."

"People just need to think about how it looks to a black person," he said. "It's just awful. It's like how a swastika looks to a Jewish person. It just shouldn't be on flagpoles."

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Well first you used the term "musicians" (plural). But then you told us what only one musician has to say.

In any case, since Tom Petty was born in Gainesville, that would qualify him to be a southerner (anything below Ocala is not actually the south). And since he is a southerner, I'll accept his personal opinion on it and no hard feelings.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PkrBum wrote:Lol bob... it must be nice to always think you know what's best for and in the best interest of the huddled masses.

Boards fancies himself part of the intellectual elite... entitled to reign over and police all peoples thoughts.

Between he and seagoat... we really don't have to say anything... they can see right into your soul like modern gods.

That's a crock of crapola Pkrbum.  Seaoat and Boards both recognize the full truth about the south's hallowed reverence for the flag of their treasonous, slave holding, forbears.  I don't need to look deep into the soul of a southern defender of keeping the confederate flag flying on public property to know they're one and all creepy white racists.  Besides, what makes you think any of them actually have a soul?  That, I assume has the same validity as statements to the effect that southerners are proud of their heritage, except for all the hateful atrocities that were committed under that dreadful banner.  Other than saying y'all, liking grits and greens and Johnny Cash music (which didn't exist back before the Civil War), other than cherishing the right of wealthy businessmen to own, oppress, torture, beat and kill African Americans, just what in the southern milieu is left to brag about that requires the Confederate flag to be presented?

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:Well first you used the term "musicians" (plural).  But then you told us what only one musician has to say.

In any case,  since Tom Petty was born in Gainesville,  that would qualify him to be a southerner (anything below Ocala is not actually the south).  And since he is a southerner,  I'll accept his personal opinion on it and no hard feelings.

Tom Petty counts for at least two musicians.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Duane Allman counts for all the rest of em put together.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

There was no "treason" ... facts are:

• Slavery, though universally recognized as wrong & immoral today, was in fact legal under both Federal law & the US Constitution in the States where it existed.

• Secession was neither illegal nor treasonous... (Virginia & New York even reserved the right to secede in their initial ratifications of the US Constitution. Look it up.)  Secession was not made illegal until SCOTUS deemed it so in 1869 ... 4 years after the so-called "civil war."

The southern States legally seceded from the union as was their right at the time.   They did it over political concerns about prospective abolition of Federally & Constitutionally legal slavery at some unknown point in the future.  

The Federal government did not like it (mostly due to the prospective loss of revenue) & so invaded the South to coerce their return to the union.

Was slavery wrong?   Sure.  Are we better off today that the southern States were forced to return to the union.  Of course.    But were southerners at the time guilty of "Treason?"  Hmmmph!  What a bunch of BS.  Learn your history, people!

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I was going to post the Tom Petty article. I've always loved his music. I like the Allman Brothers, too. My BIL opened for them some time in the 1970's. But if we're going to embrace our Southern heritage, can we embrace ALL OF IT? There are plenty of black musicians from the South...also Hispanics.

Does this count?

What about this?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I dearly love black music and black musicians. Always have. And I also dearly love Santana's music.

But I'm not sure a hispanic musician or hispanics of any kind have a dog in the hunt on this confederate flag thing.

I'll be honest, when it gets right down to it, I really could care less about the confederate flag. Bury the stupid thing if that's what makes you feel better. Just don't try to take the southern music away from me too. That will be over my dead body.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:I dearly love black music and black musicians.  Always have.  And I also dearly love Santana's music.

But I'm not sure a hispanic musician or hispanics of any kind have a dog in the hunt on this confederate flag thing.

I'll be honest,  when it gets right down to it,  I really could care less about the confederate flag.  Bury the stupid thing if that's what makes you feel better.  Just don't try to take the southern music away from me too.  That will be over my dead body.

Amen to that, brother.  You get an international bonus:

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Bob wrote:I dearly love black music and black musicians.  Always have.  And I also dearly love Santana's music.

I'll be honest,  when it gets right down to it,  I really could care less about the confederate flag.  Bury the stupid thing if that's what makes you feel better.  Just don't try to take the southern music away from me too.  That will be over my dead body.

I just like good music ... regardless of the race of the musicians playing it.

No doubt some of our "progressive" friends will find some way to be racially offended by this song though and seek to have it banned:

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Govt Mule is Warren Haynes.  As I imagine you know,  he took Duane Allman's place in The Allman Brothers Band for 25 years.  
He's a phenomenal guitar player,  and without him (and later Derek Trucks taking Dickey Betts' place in the ABB),  the ABB would have died long before it did last year.  
I got to see Govt Mule at the Hangout Festival last year.  What a great jam band.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Hey, seaoat, where did you go run and hide to?

Have you ever heard of a musician named Eric Clapton?
Well don't take it from me. Let's see what Clapton has to say about the "one-hit wonder" you referred to.

2seaoat

Bob....Rolling Stone does not even have them in the top fifty artists.....whatever floats your boat.....I liked them...they were soothing like elevator music on a hectic day, and that confederate flag and that southern rock thing......it drew the stupids.....so heck....its all Rock and Roll.....they collectively just were not that good but had some very talented musicians.....the band.......yawn.....could I get off on the fourth floor.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

2seaoat wrote:Bob....Rolling Stone does .....

Rolling Stone?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Bob....Rolling Stone does not even have them in the top fifty artists.....whatever floats your boat.....I liked them...they were soothing like elevator music on a hectic day, and that confederate flag and that southern rock thing......it drew the stupids.....so heck....its all Rock and Roll.....they collectively just were not that good but had some very talented musicians.....the band.......yawn.....could I get off on the fourth floor.

So they're just a minor act playing mediocre elevator music and a one-hit wonder.  And that "southern rock thing" is just for stupids.  In other words, they're they're just some Milli Vanilli promoting racism.

Got it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Lemme guess. The REAL music is what you heard on the Lawrence Welk Show. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Bob....Rolling Stone does not even have them in the top fifty artists.....so whatever floats your boat...

I just looked at the list and Tom Petty is #91. So apparently whatever floats bds boat is even lower than elevator music. lol

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-artists-of-all-time-19691231/guns-n-roses-20110420

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Still going down the list. The Eagles #75. Boy now there's a one-hit wonder for you. And still lower than the elevator music. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Hank Williams #74. And still lower than the elevator music.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Cream #67. Shit what many consider one of the best rock groups in history and still lower than the elevator music.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Oh god now this really is a revelation. The Grateful Dead (#57) is lower than the one-hit wonder elevator music too. Say it aint so Joe.
Jesus, when are we gonna get to that damn elevator music. Still going down the list.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum