Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Never Forget and Never Again

+11
ConservaLady
zsomething
gatorfan
polecat
PkrBum
RealLindaL
2seaoat
Floridatexan
EmeraldGhost
Deus X
Telstar
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 11]

176Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 10/12/2018, 8:24 pm

Telstar

Telstar

177Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 10/27/2018, 3:52 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Reports are that at least 10 are dead with 15 injured. You can add this to the white racist bastard who murdered 2 innocent black people in a Kentucky grocery store on Friday. Just another day of hate in NRAmerica.

178Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 10/28/2018, 4:02 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Now we know what Kavanaugh meant when he said "what goes around, comes around." Maybe we should call Kavanaugh the nazi judge. Too bad 11 innocent Jewish people had to pay for his threat with their lives. Crying or Very sad

179Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 10/29/2018, 4:54 pm

Telstar

Telstar

For those who missed it...

Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Anti-s10

180Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 11/3/2018, 4:57 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Meanwhile in Tallahassee...

181Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 12/8/2018, 12:52 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

Air Force Missed Six Chances to Stop Church Gunman From Buying Weapons, U.S. Says

https://www.wral.com/air-force-missed-six-chances-to-stop-church-gunman-from-buying-weapons-u-s-says/18047868/

182Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 2/28/2019, 2:07 am

Telstar

Telstar

House Passes Sweeping Gun Bill

The House passed what advocates call the most significant gun control measure in more than two decades on Wednesday when it approved the first of two bills aimed at broadening the federal background check system for firearms purchases.

The vote on the first bill, dubbed the Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019, passed largely along party lines 240 to 190 with Democrats who control the House cheering as they carried the legislation across the finish line.

A second bill, expected to be take up Thursday, would extend the period federal authorities have to complete a background check before a gun sale can go through. Under current law, if a check isn't finalized in three business days, the transaction can automatically proceed.

House Democrats hope the swift passage of the companion bills will put pressure on the Senate to act. The National Rifle Association opposes the legislation, and it faces major headwinds in the Republican-controlled Senate. In the unlikely event the Senate approves the measure, the White House has already signaled the President would veto the bill, should it reach his desk.

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/27/698512397/house-passes-most-significant-gun-bill-in-2-decades

183Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 4/29/2019, 5:44 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Why am I not surprised that Trumpshit is trying to shield the Russian/Putin propelled NRA.

Trump Claims NRA Is ‘Illegally’ Targeted By New York Investigation And ‘Under Siege’

The president urged the National Rifle Association to leave New York, where it faces an investigation into its tax-exempt status.

President Donald Trump on Monday accused New York’s governor and attorney general of “illegally” investigating the National Rifle Association “to take down and destroy” the gun group.

The NRA, which the attorney general said her office is investigating, is “a very important organization” that’s “under siege” by Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Attorney General Letitia James, Trump said on Twitter. He urged the NRA, which is chartered in the president’s home state and has an office there, to leave “this very difficult to deal with (unfair) State” and “fight from the outside.”

Trump urged the organization to “get its act together quickly, stop the internal fighting, [and] get back to GREATNESS ― FAST!”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-accuses-ny-illegal-attack-nra_n_5cc6f0b6e4b08e4e34852464

184Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 5/7/2019, 5:57 pm

Deus X

Deus X

It just never ends. WTF!

At least seven injured in school shooting in suburban Denver, 2 suspects in custody

At least seven, possibly eight victims were injured Tuesday in a shooting at a school in suburban Denver, authorities said.

Douglas County Undersheriff Holly Nicholson-Kluth said two suspects are in custody in the shooting at the STEM School in Highlands Ranch, which covers K-12.

"We have multiple students that have been injured," she said.

The shooting started in the middle school just before 2 p.m., Nicholson-Kluth said. A school official called authorities to report that shots were fired, she said.

"Over the next few minutes, quite a few shots were fired," she said.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/07/us/colorado-denver-area-school-shooting/index.html

185Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 5/7/2019, 9:56 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

What has been the result of the Gun Free School Zone Act?

Has the frequency of school shootings been affected?

Results matter.

186Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 5/7/2019, 11:39 pm

Deus X

Deus X

Oh, shut up.

187Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 5/8/2019, 7:51 am

Telstar

Telstar

Deus X wrote:Oh, shut up.

Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Tenor11

188Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 5/8/2019, 8:02 am

Telstar

Telstar

New NRA president says Georgia congresswoman was elected because she's 'a minority female'

New National Rifle Association President Carolyn Meadows said Rep. Lucy McBath was elected not because of her support of stricter gun laws, but because she is "a minority female," according to the Marietta Daily Journal.

Meadows, who was recently elected NRA president after Oliver North was pushed out, told the Marietta Daily Journal, "We'll get that seat back," speaking of the congressional seat that McBath -- a Georgia Democrat and a freshman lawmaker whose 17-year-old son was fatally shot in 2012 -- won last year.

"There will be more than one person in the race, but we'll get that seat back," Meadows told the paper, according to the story published on Sunday. "But it is wrong to say like McBath said, that the reason she won was because of her anti-gun stance. That didn't have anything to do with it -- it had to do with being a minority female."

She continued: "And the Democrats really turned out, and that's the problem we have with conservatives -- we don't turn out as well."

CNN has reached out to the NRA and McBath's office for comment.
McBath, a former flight attendant and gun control activist, defeated former Republican Rep. Karen Handel in November in a district that hadn't elected a Democratic US representative since the 1970s. Her 17-year-old son Jordan Davis was shot and killed in 2012 after an argument that began with a loud music complaint. The shooter was later convicted of first-degree murder.
On Monday, McBath responded to Meadows' comments in a series of tweets.
"Hi NRA! It's time we clear something up. I won this race because - after my son was senselessly murdered in 2012 - I stood up to do something about it. I knew it was time to fight back," she wrote.

In another tweet, McBath said that her work on gun violence, among other issues, "is just starting," adding, "And yes - as a woman of color I am proud to be part of the most diverse class in American history. My experiences drive the work I am doing for my constituents. And nobody can take that away from me."

Meadows told the Marietta Daily Journal that the gun lobby is going to work to re-elect Republican President Donald Trump, as well as expand the group.
"We're going to work to get Donald Trump reelected, unity, and that's primarily it, to be politically active, to bring gun-toters into the fold, to get more gun-toters to join NRA," she said. "It's a powerful lobby, not just for gun rights, but for rights."

In April, a dispute between then-NRA president North and Wayne LaPierre, longtime NRA CEO and executive vice president, spilled into public view and resulted in North's ouster. LaPierre was reelected as CEO and Meadows, a longtime NRA board member, was elected president.

North has accused LaPierre of financial misconduct, according to the Wall Street Journal. After the internal dispute, the New York attorney general's office announced it had launched an investigation into the NRA.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/06/politics/nra-president-lucy-mcbath-minority-female/index.html

189Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 5/10/2019, 3:02 pm

Telstar

Telstar

190Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 5/31/2019, 7:08 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Virginia Beach shooting leaves 11 dead at municipal center

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/31/us/virginia-beach-shooting/index.html

191Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 5/31/2019, 7:20 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Legislators seek investigations of Marion Hammer’s failure to disclose large fees from NRA

By Dan Christensen, FloridaBulldog.org

Democratic state legislators filed formal complaints Thursday with the state and Senate and House oversight authorities seeking investigations into Tallahassee lobbyist Marion Hammer’s failure to disclose hundreds of thousands of dollars in fees from the National Rifle Association.

Florida Bulldog reported May 14 that Hammer received $270,000 from the NRA last year for “consulting services and legislative lobbying in Florida” in the wake of the Parkland school massacre. She was paid another $134,000 in 2017 “for legislative lobbying services in Florida.” Neither of those payments, described in internal NRA documents, was disclosed on quarterly lobbyist compensation reports required to be filed by the legislature.

NRA tax returns show that Hammer also received $147,000 in 2014, $172,000 in 2015 and $206,000 in 2016. The 2014-2018 total: $929,000. None of it was reported to state lobbyist regulators, and in fact, while Hammer is a registered lobbyist in the capital she has not filed any compensation reports since at least 2007.

“Florida’s lobbying disclosure law was passed in 2005 to give citizens more insight into the forces driving the legislative process,” said Sen. Perry Thurston, D-Fort Lauderdale. “The National Rifle Association has had an outsized influence on the passage of pro-gun bills for more than two decades. Floridians have the right to know just how much money was driving that agenda, and why those payments were never disclosed.”

‘Community deserves to know’
“House District 47 is home to Pulse nightclub,” said Rep. Anna V. Eskamani, D-Orlando. “Our community deserves to know what influence the National Rifle Association has in our political process, and why the transparency lobbyists are required to follow appears to be missing.”

Thurston filed his sworn complaint with the Florida Senate and the state ethics commission. Eskamani’s sworn complaint was filed with the House Public Integrity & Ethics Committee. Each of those complaints cited numerous instances of Hammer’s lobbying to influence a variety of legislation, including matters such as concealed carry permits.

The Feb. 14, 2018 shooting at Parkland’s Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School claimed 17 lives of students and faculty. The NRA paid Hammer $270,000 as surviving students were pushing for a ban on assault weapons.

In a press release announcing the complaints, it was noted that earlier this year Thurston had questioned whether the NRA may have, in part, been behind the push for controversial legislation allowing teachers to carry guns in the classroom.

“Unless someone makes an appearance at a committee hearing or in a lawmaker’s office, it’s hard to know with certainty who may be driving a particular bill,” said Thurston. “The disclosure law was meant to counter that uncertainty by providing greater transparency into the ‘who’s benefiting’ question. But in the NRA’s case, there is no money trail to follow.”

Hammer is the registered lobbyist for both the NRA and Unified Sportsmen of Florida, where she serves at its $110,000-a-year executive director. The NRA describes Hammer as a board member and consultant. Consultants are not employees.

Florida law requires lobbying firms, defined to include individual contract lobbyists, to file reports for each calendar quarter disclosing their total compensation from clients. The disclosures are not specific, but are made in ranges.

Employees who do in-house lobbying for their employees, as Hammer does for Unified Sportsmen, are generally not required to file compensation reports. But contract lobbyists like the NRA’s Hammer who are paid fees for their services must register and disclose.

https://www.floridabulldog.org/2019/05/legislators-seek-probes-of-marion-hammers-nra-lobbying-fees/?mc_cid=ab5a03d871&mc_eid=b3df4b2404

Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Marionnra

192Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 6/1/2019, 2:02 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Gabby Giffords: (FB)

We’re only 151 days into 2019 and there have already been 150 mass shootings. This reality is horrifying. It’s heartbreaking. And the fact that our nation’s leaders continue to fail to protect us should fuel outrage in every American.

The stories of survivors from Virginia Beach touch on a familiar refrain: the peace of the workday shattered by the sound of gunfire. Coworkers huddled on the floor trying to stay quiet as the shooting gets closer. The disbelief that it’s finally happening to them. Our hearts and our sorrow are in Virginia tonight.

If gun violence feels like an everyday occurrence, that’s because it is. Every single day, nearly 100 lives are lost because of guns. Every time you hear news of another horrific shooting, remind yourself this is not normal. No other developed nation in the world experiences this kind of daily heartbreak and horror.

Gun violence is a problem we can address. We know there are steps we can take as a country to keep deadly weapons from landing in dangerous hands. We are a country of citizens crying out for a response to this epidemic of gun violence, but whether it’s in Richmond or Washington, DC there are politicians who take the gun lobby’s money and vote against our safety. It’s time for that to change. Our leaders must work and vote to protect us. And if they don’t we must elect new leaders. It’s been nearly 100 days since the U.S. House of Representatives passed the Bipartisan Background Checks Act. How many more lives will be lost before Majority Leader McConnell and President Trump take the next steps to sign that lifesaving legislation into law?

193Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 6/1/2019, 2:50 pm

bigdog

The answer is that those two never will. The good news is that they are both very unpopular with the people who will be voting in next years election. McConnell is suffering his worst ratings in his own state ever. Only about 17 months to go until the election. It won't be long now.

194Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 6/1/2019, 3:29 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

The vast majority of gun crime takes place in a known place by a known demographic.

It happens in large inner cities by felons already prohibited from possessing a gun.

They obviously don't give a damn about laws. What's the solution?

195Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 6/1/2019, 9:23 pm

bigdog

In the first place, I think we all know what you are implying. Those are gang wars, with gang members shooting other gang members. And yes, when guns are criminalized, criminals will still have guns. I know that. Everyone knows that.
However, what happened in Virginia was not a gang war. It was also something that would not have been prevented with new gun laws. The shooter used a handgun, not an assault weapon, and had no criminal history. Even with gun show regulations, with banning of assault weapons, with good background checks, this incident today would have still happened.
All of that being as it is, there is still no reason in this world for an American citizen to own an assault weapon designed primarily for killing large amounts of human beings very quickly. Police need those weapons and our military needs those weapons. I don't need them. Neither do any of the school shooters that have used them so many times over the last 10 or 15 years.
Those guns should be illegal, off the street, even to the point of being confiscated if necessary. I have never said I thought any guns should be confiscated before, but I do now.
I am not anti-gun. I have a 38cal. Smith & Wesson revolver in my cabinet right now, and I even have a deer hunting knife on my desk that I don't have a clue what I would do with should someone come down the hallway towards me, but I think I'd figure something out. Of course, they'd have to have gotten past my two dogs first. I honestly believe in Americans needing to protect themselves. I don't trust the police to get here on time if something happened.
But nobody needs a gun that shoots 20 rounds at a time to hunt animals with. Those should be totally removed from our streets. Banned, outright. And I do think it would at least slow down school shooters so someone could stop them and would save some lives.

196Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 6/2/2019, 8:37 am

PkrBum

PkrBum

First... your definition of assault rifle is not accurate... nor do citizens possess them without special permit. Large clips do have a lawful purpose. People use them hunting coyotes and wild hogs. I'd imagine there are other personal reasons that cause no one harm that are legitimate... to include self-defense. I hate to post this to the internet... but there's a much more common rifle that many more people own that's much more lethal in these gun free zone mass shootings. Btw... only 3% of gun crime is committed by a rifle.

197Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 6/2/2019, 8:43 am

Telstar

Telstar

PkrBum wrote:    Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Pkr_do10

198Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 6/2/2019, 3:12 pm

bigdog

Good. Here's my idea then. If you bring a couple of dead coyotes or wild hogs into an office where guns are licensed (and yes, I am for that process) then you should definitely be given a gun that can shoot large animals very quickly.
If you are a deer hunter, you don't get that kind of gun, because you are not likely to ever be charged by a deer in the wild. Especially not by one that you've been leaving food for all year long so you won't even have to hunt him down. I would so love it if deer could shoot back.

I get tired of being told by gun lovers that I don't know the meaning of an assault weapon. You can name it anything you want to, but you absolutely know what kind of weapon I am speaking about. You only want to argue semantics because you know there's no reason that you need to own one.

A lot of damn fools,. not just fools, but damn fools, actually think they can protect themselves from our own government by owning one. They are waiting for the apocalypse. They DEFINITELY do not need guns, not even a handgun. They are insane. No handgun ever won a battle over a tank or a rocket launcher. Forget about it.

You can't stop guns from being on our streets all at once, but you can start with the type often used in school shootings. It has to begin somewhere.

199Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 6/2/2019, 4:05 pm

RealLindaL

bigdog wrote:You only want to argue semantics because you know there's no reason that you need to own one.

SPOT ON, b.d.

No handgun ever won a battle over a tank or a rocket launcher. Forget about it.

So patently obvious to anyone with half a brain, but unfortunately, the strongest logic in the world will not make a dent in the CAVERNOUS stupidity you're trying to fight here.

__RLL

200Never Forget and Never Again - Page 8 Empty Re: Never Forget and Never Again 6/2/2019, 11:14 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

I wouldn't own an ar15. We do get coyotes and a rare wolf or black bear. But they aren't a quality gun.

They look like a military assault weapon... but they aren't. My family has a large ranch in Texas and my cousins have a few because of wild hogs. But there are better options imo. I guess if my family lived in a place with gang activity i might consider one... but i doubt it.

Why the focus on 3% of the issue? The Gun Free Zone Act is about 20 years old now. What has the result of that policy been on the frequency of school shootings?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum