Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Racist Police Stop in Pensacola!!!!

+7
Floridatexan
Markle
2seaoat
Joanimaroni
Vikingwoman
TEOTWAWKI
EmeraldGhost
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 8]

Markle

Markle

2seaoat doesn't support his own "position" on this issue. He just likes to argue for the sake of arguing.

He knows as well as anyone that all the guy had to do was comply. Period.

And moving the goalposts. Now he's using arrest as the qualifier instead of a citation.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

With all due respect to female police, that officer was unsure of herself in the situation, and it showed. I did not hear her inform the driver of the reason for the stop...she only said she had run his tag. If his dark-tinted windows was the reason for her running a check on his tag, why didn't she just say so? Instead, she became argumentative. I didn't see any infraction on the part of the driver.

2seaoat

I am consistent and correct that this officer once a citizen immediately told the officer that he wants a supervisor, and that he will give his license to the supervisor should have said per training that "sir, I will ask you to stay in your vehicle, and I will go call for a supervisor".   Instead, she did not answer his reasonable questions with anything which approached the fourth amendment requirement of probable cause, which resulted in his request for a supervisor and she was argumentative and was flailing around being strident with a citizen on the street who was watching and alternating with arguing with the vehicle driver.  She was escalating a situation instead of descalating the situation.  She will be reprimanded.  

In regard to me arguing just for the sake of arguing.  Nope.  This situation was clear.  People tried to make this about race, about the driver being a commissioner, about the officer being a woman, and about citizen rights being subservient to the discretion of an officer........it was none of the above.  It was about an officer who did not follow training protocol and who did not act professionally.  Now if you can find one inconsistency in my positions now or last year in the Reese case where I supported the officer who was following training guidelines in instructing somebody to stay in a vehicle where officer safety requires the same....again.....go for it......the law requires consistency and continuity not emotional hyperbole.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Floridatexan wrote:
With all due respect to female police, that officer was unsure of herself in the situation, and it showed.  I did not hear her inform the driver of the reason for the stop...she only said she had run his tag.  If his dark-tinted windows was the reason for her running a check on his tag, why didn't she just say so?  Instead, she became argumentative.  I didn't see any infraction on the part of the driver.

I don't have time to go back & watch the video at the moment ... but as I recall she informed him when she first made contact with him.

She said "I stopped you because there is a problem with your license plate" ... or something to that effect.

Stolen license plates are not uncommon. They are used by people who haven't/don't want to pay their annual vehicle registration ... and also on stolen vehicles.

If there's a problem with the plate matching the vehicle ... that is valid reason for a stop ..... under current law.

Vikingwoman

Floridatexan wrote:
With all due respect to female police, that officer was unsure of herself in the situation, and it showed.  I did not hear her inform the driver of the reason for the stop...she only said she had run his tag.  If his dark-tinted windows was the reason for her running a check on his tag, why didn't she just say so?  Instead, she became argumentative.  I didn't see any infraction on the part of the driver.

I am always amazed that people can watch the same video and come up w/ conclusions based on their bias. The officer told Mays several times she ran his tag and the computer came up showing the tag had been replaced.Running tags is a common thing and helps LE w/ violators. To say she was argumentative after watching him become belligerent and arguing w/ her about the reason for the stop just floors me.

Vikingwoman

2seaoat wrote:I am consistent and correct that this officer once a citizen immediately told the officer that he wants a supervisor, and that he will give his license to the supervisor should have said per training that "sir, I will ask you to stay in your vehicle, and I will go call for a supervisor".   Instead, she did not answer his reasonable questions with anything which approached the fourth amendment requirement of probable cause, which resulted in his request for a supervisor and she was argumentative and was flailing around being strident with a citizen on the street who was watching and alternating with arguing with the vehicle driver.  She was escalating a situation instead of descalating the situation.  She will be reprimanded.  

In regard to me arguing just for the sake of arguing.  Nope.  This situation was clear.  People tried to make this about race, about the driver being a commissioner, about the officer being a woman, and about citizen rights being subservient to the discretion of an officer........it was none of the above.  It was about an officer who did not follow training protocol and who did not act professionally.  Now if you can find one inconsistency in my positions now or last year in the Reese case where I supported the officer who was following training guidelines in instructing somebody to stay in a vehicle where officer safety requires the same....again.....go for it......the law requires consistency and continuity not emotional hyperbole.

She had a valid reason for the stop and your assertions she did not act professionally and follow protocol is in lala land. There will be no reprimand. Your just silly and make up stuff to support your position where it suits you.It has been a long time since I went to the academy of which you never went and there was no protocol that an officer has to call a supervisor and immediately stop their investigation as to DL and registration when asked. It's just not true. He had to show his DL and refused until a supervisor showed up. He escalated the situation which wound up w/ the same results when the supervisor came. He achieved nothing.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

He was just upset this young lady didn't recognize his famous self. Probably figured a senior officer would know him and stopped the ticketing process till someone that respected his highness showed up and let his majesty off with a nervous laugh and a humble bow to his authoritay....

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I will admit the officer's voice grated on my drug-induced nerves when I watched the tape again last night. She told him she ran the tag and that is why she pulled him over. She called a supervisor and again asked for his license and insurance....he continued to yell at her.

Neko would disagree with you and then send me a pm about how obstinate you are. Crying or Very sad

Vikingwoman

Seaoat has a righteous complex. In his mind, he is righteous in all his conclusions.

Markle

Markle

TEOTWAWKI wrote:He was just upset this young lady didn't recognize his famous self. Probably figured a senior officer would know him and stopped the ticketing process till someone that respected his highness showed up and let his majesty off with a nervous laugh and a humble bow to his authoritay....

Pathetically true. Must be a friend of 2seaoat...or someone he sucks up to.

2seaoat

He was just upset this young lady didn't recognize his famous self. Probably figured a senior officer would know him and stopped the ticketing process till someone that respected his highness showed up and let his majesty off with a nervous laugh and a humble bow to his authoritay....

A good police officer pays attention to a community.  Pensacola is not that big.....this officer is clueless....go back through the tape and see a clear traffic violation by another vehicle as her camera is rolling...see who can find it.....but no citation......and then she goes wild goose hunting....Scalia would crap in his pants......but this is about race....I mean that is what the thread states.....I think this song sums it up for me......

RealLindaL

Seaoat, I think you know I've agreed with and supported you on many issues over the years, but this time I really, really can't.  Despite your seemingly desperate need to always be right, sometimes you just aren't, my friend.

Following is the text of an email entitled "Lumon May" which I sent to my district's commissioner, Grover Robinson, tonight.  I hope others who agree will speak up and let their thoughts be known,  not just on this forum.

I have just watched the entire video of Mr. May's traffic stop on pnj.com (and also perused all the reader comments thereon - you may want to do so yourself if you haven't already; it's an education).  But my own opinion was formed before reading any of those comments, and here it is, for what it's worth:

Regardless of any question regarding the validity of the stop and/or whether or not the plate number was mis-entered by the officer, Mr. May's behavior was over-the-top outrageous, appalling and shameful --  not to mention illegal -- and aside from any enforcement action (which so far is not evident) he should be asked to resign from the Escambia BOCC forthwith.   How can anyone retain faith in this man's ability to lead the rest of us, after viewing the complete lack of judgment and restraint he displayed??   He should be thoroughly ashamed of himself and the way he treated that officer, and I would not hesitate to tell him that to his face.  

Further, if May is going to imply that racism/profiling is the reason for his being 'harassed,' and considering his immature, hair-trigger reaction to such perception, it's just one more reason he is not fit to sit on the board that governs this entire county.  

And where were his papers?  Why couldn't he produce them, and isn't, in fact, the lack of such papers (in violation of the law) the likely true reason for his extreme behavior?  After all, with some people the best defense is a nasty offense.  But that's not even the main point, as you know.  It's his childish, unreasonable, bullying (and, again, illegal) behavior.

If the man doesn't resign on his own  -- which would be the honorable thing to do, seeing as how he has tainted his reputation with the public by his horrible behavior -- I hope the rest of the board will stand up and have the guts to ask him to do so.

The only good thing I can even think to say here is thank heaven Lumon May doesn't represent District 4.

NOTE:  If indeed, as someone stated here, May did eventually supply papers to one of the male officers -- and if they were complete (registration, license, insurance) -- then he lied to the original officer when he said he didn't have his registration and insurance with him.  Why?? All in all, there's just NO valid excuse for May's behavior, and I, for one, am now terrified to think how he would behave in a genuine crisis.  He needs to GO.

2seaoat

All in all, there's just NO valid excuse for May's behavior, and I, for one, am now terrified to think how he would behave in a genuine crisis.  He needs to GO.

Just like the tax issues on Pensacola Beach, I was one voice against a 100.  I clearly set forth the concept of Equitable Title and 99 of those 100 commenters said I was a fool and I was wrong.  I was not.  I am not wrong here.

Justice Scalia and the Supreme Court have been scaling back the exceptions to the 4th amendment exceptions concerning automobiles.   Just like the British who without probable cause could stop, search and seize a citizen.  Our founding fathers felt so strongly about this that they created an amendment.  When a law abiding citizen is treated like a criminal when he asks to speak to a supervisor because the officer cannot articulate probable cause and was argumentative once the citizen sternly objected to his being seized by an arbitrary, capricious, and absolute fishing expedition.  The fact that no citation was issued is proof of the same, and every citizen must stand their ground when the government is entirely out of control  and has citizens acclimated to the abuse of government.  We do not deserve the liberty so many have fought for when so many want to throw citizen rights under the bus for subjugation to improper government actions.

If an officer in my town did that stop, male or female....I would have been Mr. May.  I have posted where I, like Mr. May have asked an officer who was wrong to take me to jail.  Thoreau's Civil Disobedience starts with Citizens not taking governmental abuse.  This has nothing to do with Race, nor did Mr. May at anytime use his position or his race to defend his rights which are extended to every citizen.  Your Virginia upbringing is peeking out from your outrage as you try to make this about race.....it is not about race.  Listen to the tape, this citizen clearly stated that he had been stopped numerous times without reason and that he wants a supervisor who he will turn over his DL.  Now you are trying to interject some type of sexism when a citizen exercises his rights to request a supervisor and the request like race has nothing to do with the sex of the officer.

Unfortunately, many who are attacking Mr. May who was never charged with anything.....because he broke NO law, are angry that a citizen would actually not have a right to speak their mind to authority.  What a sad day for America when we have become compliant sheep to unauthorized intrusions and may every citizen behave EXACTLY like Mr. May in requesting a supervisor where an officer is argumentative and on a fishing expedition.  Shame on you for making this about race or sexism.  It is easy to prove me wrong......show me the violation of law Mr. May was guilty of........shame on you for writing such a bigoted letter suggesting race had anything to do with a citizen demanding to speak to a supervisor......was it not Virginia the place you grew up where the Loving case finally allowed people to marry despite their color....I suppose with folks in your family being part of the Criminal Justice system you cannot help making this about race, than abuse by the criminal justice system....Your letter is outrageous and cowardly.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

RealLindaL wrote:Seaoat, I think you know I've agreed with and supported you on many issues over the years, but this time I really, really can't.  Despite your seemingly desperate need to always be right, sometimes you just aren't, my friend.

Following is the text of an email entitled "Lumon May" which I sent to my district's commissioner, Grover Robinson, tonight.  I hope others who agree will speak up and let their thoughts be known,  not just on this forum.

I have just watched the entire video of Mr. May's traffic stop on pnj.com (and also perused all the reader comments thereon - you may want to do so yourself if you haven't already; it's an education).  But my own opinion was formed before reading any of those comments, and here it is, for what it's worth:

Regardless of any question regarding the validity of the stop and/or whether or not the plate number was mis-entered by the officer, Mr. May's behavior was over-the-top outrageous, appalling and shameful --  not to mention illegal -- and aside from any enforcement action (which so far is not evident) he should be asked to resign from the Escambia BOCC forthwith.   How can anyone retain faith in this man's ability to lead the rest of us, after viewing the complete lack of judgment and restraint he displayed??   He should be thoroughly ashamed of himself and the way he treated that officer, and I would not hesitate to tell him that to his face.  

Further, if May is going to imply that racism/profiling is the reason for his being 'harassed,' and considering his immature, hair-trigger reaction to such perception, it's just one more reason he is not fit to sit on the board that governs this entire county.  

And where were his papers?  Why couldn't he produce them, and isn't, in fact, the lack of such papers (in violation of the law) the likely true reason for his extreme behavior?  After all, with some people the best defense is a nasty offense.  But that's not even the main point, as you know.  It's his childish, unreasonable, bullying (and, again, illegal) behavior.

If the man doesn't resign on his own  -- which would be the honorable thing to do, seeing as how he has tainted his reputation with the public by his horrible behavior -- I hope the rest of the board will stand up and have the guts to ask him to do so.

The only good thing I can even think to say here is thank heaven Lumon May doesn't represent District 4.

NOTE:  If indeed, as someone stated here, May did eventually supply papers to one of the male officers -- and if they were complete (registration, license, insurance) -- then he lied to the original officer when he said he didn't have his registration and insurance with him.  Why?? All in all, there's just NO valid excuse for May's behavior, and I, for one, am now terrified to think how he would behave in a genuine crisis.  He needs to GO.
cheers

Vikingwoman

2seaoat wrote:All in all, there's just NO valid excuse for May's behavior, and I, for one, am now terrified to think how he would behave in a genuine crisis.  He needs to GO.

Just like the tax issues on Pensacola Beach, I was one voice against a 100.  I clearly set forth the concept of Equitable Title and 99 of those 100 commenters said I was a fool and I was wrong.  I was not.  I am not wrong here.

Justice Scalia and the Supreme Court have been scaling back the exceptions to the 4th amendment exceptions concerning automobiles.   Just like the British who without probable cause could stop, search and seize a citizen.  Our founding fathers felt so strongly about this that they created an amendment.  When a law abiding citizen is treated like a criminal when he asks to speak to a supervisor because the officer cannot articulate probable cause and was argumentative once the citizen sternly objected to his being seized by an arbitrary, capricious, and absolute fishing expedition.  The fact that no citation was issued is proof of the same, and every citizen must stand their ground when the government is entirely out of control  and has citizens acclimated to the abuse of government.  We do not deserve the liberty so many have fought for when so many want to throw citizen rights under the bus for subjugation to improper government actions.

If an officer in my town did that stop, male or female....I would have been Mr. May.  I have posted where I, like Mr. May have asked an officer who was wrong to take me to jail.  Thoreau's Civil Disobedience starts with Citizens not taking governmental abuse.  This has nothing to do with Race, nor did Mr. May at anytime use his position or his race to defend his rights which are extended to every citizen.  Your Virginia upbringing is peeking out from your outrage as you try to make this about race.....it is not about race.  Listen to the tape, this citizen clearly stated that he had been stopped numerous times without reason and that he wants a supervisor who he will turn over his DL.  Now you are trying to interject some type of sexism when a citizen exercises his rights to request a supervisor and the request like race has nothing to do with the sex of the officer.

Unfortunately, many who are attacking Mr. May who was never charged with anything.....because he broke NO law, are angry that a citizen would actually not have a right to speak their mind to authority.  What a sad day for America when we have become compliant sheep to unauthorized intrusions and may every citizen behave EXACTLY like Mr. May in requesting a supervisor where an officer is argumentative and on a fishing expedition.  Shame on you for making this about race or sexism.  It is easy to prove me wrong......show me the violation of law Mr. May was guilty of........shame on you for writing such a bigoted letter suggesting race had anything to do with a citizen demanding to speak to a supervisor......was it not Virginia the place you grew up where the Loving case finally allowed people to marry despite their color....I suppose with folks in your family being part of the Criminal Justice system you cannot help making this about race, than abuse by the criminal justice system....Your letter is outrageous and cowardly.

Yeah, you are wrong,Seaoat. Nobody should support the behavior Mays displayed when stopped. He can ask for a supervisor. I don't have a problem w/ that. It was the way he acted-disrespectful and angry and refusing to cooperate. You should be ashamed of yourself for supporting that behavior.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

As an elected city official, Mr. May should be totally embarrassed my his behaviour.

Vikingwoman

Seems as if Lumon May has apologized for his behavior but his atty. Eric Stevenson says "you're allowed to resist an arrest if there's no violence". Hey Seaoat is he correct? LOL!

2seaoat

It was the way he acted-disrespectful and angry and refusing to cooperate. You should be ashamed of yourself for supporting that behavior.

Again, T posted video after video of citizens standing up for their right under the 2nd amendment to carry a weapon......they were far more strident and in your face than this driver was yet people called these citizens patriots.

If my daughter was the officer, I would ask her one question, are the citizens of this country due the respect our founding fathers expected to freely move about without being seized without a warrant, and when this citizen who was seized asked for a supervisor, why did you not say yes sir, stay in your vehicle and I will go to the squad and call your request to my supervisor.......but no she stridently argued with a motorist escalating who was exercising his constitutional rights just like a person exercising their second amendment rights. If this driver said I am Mr. Bigshot and I have this position, I might tend to believe he was wrong, but he clearly NEVER did anything which would suggest he was just a citizen.

What saddens me most is this sheep like reaction that when stopped a person loses their constitutional rights. I am one of the most respectful people to LEO. However, I have NEVER quivered in their presence when I believe they are wrong, and I have always stood my ground. This man did nothing wrong except be a commissioner and be black where people are trying to make it about something it was not.

There is absolutely nothing this man did that would change my vote, nor would I write a letter insinuating this was about race or position. This has been a shameful jump to conclusions which sadly reflects on the writers more than the commissioner. Where some see disrespect by the motorist, I see complete loss of control and professionalism by the officer who does not extend the respect to a citizen which her training if followed gives her the presumption of being in the right.....she was wrong. She will get a slip in her file.

2seaoat

Seems as if Lumon May has apologized for his behavior but his atty. Eric Stevenson says "you're allowed to resist an arrest if there's no violence". Hey Seaoat is he correct? LOL!

There was NO arrest....next question.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

If seaoat were a cartoon character...

Vikingwoman

2seaoat wrote: It was the way he acted-disrespectful and angry and refusing to cooperate. You should be ashamed of yourself for supporting that behavior.

Again, T posted video after video of citizens standing up for their right under the 2nd amendment to carry a weapon......they were far more strident and in your face than this driver was yet people called these citizens patriots.

If my daughter was the officer, I would ask her one question, are the citizens of this country due the respect our founding fathers expected to freely move about without being seized without a warrant, and when this citizen who was seized asked for a supervisor, why did you not say yes sir, stay in your vehicle and I will go to the squad and call your request to my supervisor.......but no she stridently argued with a motorist escalating who was exercising his constitutional rights just like a person exercising their second amendment rights.   If this driver said I am Mr. Bigshot and I have this position, I might tend to believe he was wrong, but he clearly NEVER did anything which would suggest he was just a citizen.

What saddens me most is this sheep like reaction that when stopped a person loses their constitutional rights.  I am one of the most respectful people to LEO.  However, I have NEVER quivered in their presence when I believe they are wrong, and I have always stood my ground.   This man did nothing wrong except be a commissioner and be black where people are trying to make it about something it was not.

There is absolutely nothing this man did that would change my vote, nor would I write a letter insinuating this was about race or position.   This has been a shameful jump to conclusions which sadly reflects on the writers more than the commissioner.  Where some see disrespect by the motorist, I see complete loss of control and professionalism by the officer who does not extend the respect to a citizen which her training if followed gives her the presumption of being in the right.....she was wrong.  She will get a slip in her file.

No, she's not getting a slip in her file and the FOP is strongly supporting her as well as other LEO's who say your protocol crap is wrong. There is now a petition on FB for his removal. I don't agree he should be removed but even he himself says he was out of line. Too bad,Oatie. You were wrong.

2seaoat

One of my many nick names in college was rooster......so you nailed me.

2seaoat

but even he himself says he was out of line.

I am not privy to mind reading, but what I read the words "bogus stop" were used, and of course the FOP will stand by their member.....even if they run a child over with their squad.......pretty slim pickens Dreams.....and she will get a slip in her file.

Vikingwoman

Now Eric Stevenson is saying it was a bogus stop. Implying what? Hmmm?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum