Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

2 possible burglars shot by Pensacola police

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

http://www.pnj.com/article/20121206/NEWS01/121206006/Two-burglary-suspects-shot-after-fleeing-police-

I read the comments to the article. Interesting. I need more facts and I am certainly not in a position to make any judgment from the facts reported by the PNJ......nothing new there......but something is not sitting right with me on this incident. I hope more information and facts become available.

2seaoat wrote:http://www.pnj.com/article/20121206/NEWS01/121206006/Two-burglary-suspects-shot-after-fleeing-police-

I read the comments to the article. Interesting. I need more facts and I am certainly not in a position to make any judgment from the facts reported by the PNJ......nothing new there......but something is not sitting right with me on this incident. I hope more information and facts become available.

SO, what is not sitting right with you? This seems like it is cut and dry to me. The shooting victims failed to obey the orders of a LEO, using a vehicle as a weapon against the officers and were driving vehicle.

Are you reading something into the article that I am missing?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Since Novemeber 27, there have been 21 reported residential burglaries within city limits, nine of which occurred within the area of Bayou Boulevard and 12th Avenue. Good job PPD and ECSO.

2seaoat

I want to ask just this question......If you were an 18 year old burglar......would you use your vehicle to try to hit a police officer if you had been involved in any criminal activity, or would be trying to become a rabbit? I am pleased as punch that a possible burglar was caught in the alleged act, I am concerned with the idea that a fleeing vehicle can become a weapon which in and of itself allows an officer to fire a weapon into that vehicle. Any LEO understand what I am saying, and it is far too early to cast dispersions on anybody.......I simply have seen the car as a weapon once too often, where after a trial.......well......we must wait for more information.

In one business I owned we were burglarized four times in a year, and would have 14 year olds coming into the business asking to use our restroom and casing out the business. They would fire off the damn fire extinguishers and then you could see the size of the footprints.....kids.....lost computers, but worse was the dumbasz broke a hundred year old leaded glass window in the business which was irreplaceable.....I have no love loss for burglars.......but when using a firearm, and shooting a human being......I want to make sure the officer's were threatened, or felt that a member of the public was threatened before they resorted to deadly force....thats all.....I will celebrate with jonimaroni when we know that these individuals clearly threatened the officers, and were in fact involved in an active burglary........in due time we will know the facts.

As much as I am in favor of getting baddies such as these off the streets, I find myself inclined to agree with you, SO.

Quoted from above linked article:

“Instead of listening to the officers they sped toward the officers," Simmons said. "The officers pulled their guns and they fired at the vehicle which was coming toward them.”

I am admittedly no expert in such matters, but the above statement brings some questions to mind:

1/ Why would they not shoot the tires out?? It stands to reason that shooting the tires out would be more effective in either bringing the vehicle to a halt or slowing it down to the point that the officers could give non high-speed chase and force the vehicle off the road in a safe manner and place. Am I wrong or missing something here??

2/ The statement above implies -- in fact, it outright states -- that the officers fired upon the vehicle while it was moving toward the officers. I have trouble reconciling how one of the baddies could have been shot in the leg by a forward shot toward the oncoming vehicle. Again, am I missing something or can someone here with expertise in such matters explain to me how this scenario could play-out as quoted above?

GR, you may be far better informed and have some expertise here. Maybe you could address my above concerns and questions.

All of that being said, I fully support LEOs doing what is necessary and appropriate to protect themselves and the communities they serve in such situations. But, those couple of questions are troubling me given information in the article.

Sal

Sal

Cops don't shoot tires out.

When they pull their firearms they shoot to kill.

SO, we seem to have parted ways regarding our respective concerns on the matter but I am in full agreement that in due time following investigation into the matter, all the facts will shake out.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

SO...I went to this site and entered 32503 zip code... entered a 30 day date range and then on incident layer marked the first column and property crimes. It showed 91 incidents.

https://www.crimereports.com/

Vehicle theft is a felony offense...the burglars were already looking at grand theft auto. They wanted to get away.

Sal wrote:Cops don't shoot tires out.

When they pull their firearms they shoot to kill.

Huh. The city police department does in my hometown and they did in the small town in Kansas where I lived for a couple years before I moved back home and after I moved away from the Pensacola area. Maybe that's just one of the huge differences in living in a very small town versus a big city like Pensacola or... I'm sorry, I've forgotten where you live, but another big city as I recall. I guess I'd forgotten that.

That being said, my (rural) county sheriff's department is notorious for shooting first and asking questions later.

2seaoat wrote:I want to ask just this question......If you were an 18 year old burglar......would you use your vehicle to try to hit a police officer if you had been involved in any criminal activity, or would be trying to become a rabbit? I am pleased as punch that a possible burglar was caught in the alleged act, I am concerned with the idea that a fleeing vehicle can become a weapon which in and of itself allows an officer to fire a weapon into that vehicle. Any LEO understand what I am saying, and it is far too early to cast dispersions on anybody.......I simply have seen the car as a weapon once too often, where after a trial.......well......we must wait for more information.

In one business I owned we were burglarized four times in a year, and would have 14 year olds coming into the business asking to use our restroom and casing out the business. They would fire off the damn fire extinguishers and then you could see the size of the footprints.....kids.....lost computers, but worse was the dumbasz broke a hundred year old leaded glass window in the business which was irreplaceable.....I have no love loss for burglars.......but when using a firearm, and shooting a human being......I want to make sure the officer's were threatened, or felt that a member of the public was threatened before they resorted to deadly force....thats all.....I will celebrate with jonimaroni when we know that these individuals clearly threatened the officers, and were in fact involved in an active burglary........in due time we will know the facts.

Using a vehicle as a weapon against a LEO seems to be the norm. It happened on Pensacola Beach when an ECSO deputy shot and killed another ECSO deputies son who was wanted for questioning in a rape case. He tried to use his vehicle as a weapon against the deputy and was killed for his effort. Another incident on Davis Hwy at a gentlemen's club when a wanted fugitive was shot by a PPD officer while using his vehicle as a weapon.

To address your first concern, the perps did not use their own vehicle. It was a stolen vehicle and matched the description of the vehicle that had been used in previous buglaries in that area. If the vehicle was fleeing the officers it would be a different story, but it was coming straight at them as witnessed by the bullet holes in the windshield of the escape car.

riceme wrote:As much as I am in favor of getting baddies such as these off the streets, I find myself inclined to agree with you, SO.

Quoted from above linked article:

“Instead of listening to the officers they sped toward the officers," Simmons said. "The officers pulled their guns and they fired at the vehicle which was coming toward them.”

I am admittedly no expert in such matters, but the above statement brings some questions to mind:

1/ Why would they not shoot the tires out?? It stands to reason that shooting the tires out would be more effective in either bringing the vehicle to a halt or slowing it down to the point that the officers could give non high-speed chase and force the vehicle off the road in a safe manner and place. Am I wrong or missing something here??

2/ The statement above implies -- in fact, it outright states -- that the officers fired upon the vehicle while it was moving toward the officers. I have trouble reconciling how one of the baddies could have been shot in the leg by a forward shot toward the oncoming vehicle. Again, am I missing something or can someone here with expertise in such matters explain to me how this scenario could play-out as quoted above?

GR, you may be far better informed and have some expertise here. Maybe you could address my above concerns and questions.

All of that being said, I fully support LEOs doing what is necessary and appropriate to protect themselves and the communities they serve in such situations. But, those couple of questions are troubling me given information in the article.

The only one of your concerns I feel comfortable addressing is the second one. The images shown on TV of the getaway vehicle showed bullet holes in the windshield, the back window was blown out and a bullet hole in the door. I can only surmise that after the officers shot the windshield, as the vehicle was passing by them they fired again hitting the door which went through and caused the leg wound.

no stress

no stress

Good job PPD ! Two officers get to go home at the end of their shift. Why shoot the criminals instead of the tires? Shooting out the tires does not stop the criminals, it only allows them to speed out onto Bayou blvd with steering control problems and possibly maim or kill another motorist in a car accident.

These same punks went through my brothers truck last week..
His neighbor has it on a surveillance video and the FDLE will be there in the morning to look at it..

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Lurch wrote:These same punks went through my brothers truck last week..
His neighbor has it on a surveillance video and the FDLE will be there in the morning to look at it..

I just do not have any sympathy for thugs that rob people. If they get killed in the process I just don't give a rat's-ass. It is not just about possessions it is about the violation of the victim and that is a hell of a lot worse than replacing stolen items. Once you have been victimized ....your life changes....you loose your sense of safety, security, and peace of mind within your own home.....everything changes.

My sister was home alone and the victim of a burglary. She came face to face with the no good thugs who were robbing her home..the men grabbed the "stuff" and ran to their car. Both of them were caught several blocks away. She had to ID them and her possessions when they were captured; she had to face them for a third time in court.

Both men had prior arrests and one still had an open case...they got 15 years. Will they get out and seek revenge?

2seaoat

This is the second time Roedel has been in an officer-involved shooting in recent years, though he was cleared of any wrongdoing during the previous incident.

In the last case, Roedel shot Anthony Smith seven times in November 2010 after Roedel approached Smith’s vehicle thinking it might be connected to a drive-by killing that happened 30 minutes earlier. Smith hid behind a tree and pointed a handgun at Roedel, investigators said.

Police shoot fleeing burglary suspects Headline of article

Lots of innuendo by the PNJ.............two obvious bullet holes in the front window.....easy to determine if exit or entry shots.....entry shots....no problem......exit shots......potential problems.

2seaoat wrote:This is the second time Roedel has been in an officer-involved shooting in recent years, though he was cleared of any wrongdoing during the previous incident.

In the last case, Roedel shot Anthony Smith seven times in November 2010 after Roedel approached Smith’s vehicle thinking it might be connected to a drive-by killing that happened 30 minutes earlier. Smith hid behind a tree and pointed a handgun at Roedel, investigators said.

Police shoot fleeing burglary suspects Headline of article

Lots of innuendo by the PNJ.............two obvious bullet holes in the front window.....easy to determine if exit or entry shots.....entry shots....no problem......exit shots......potential problems.

Come on SO, why is it that you want to read into it something that is there? I will give you that the PNJ headline might present a bit of innuendo, but reading the article there is no innuendo at all. It seems rather cut and dry to me. The suspects failed to heed the officers orders, jumped in the stolen vehicle, accelerated toward the officers with a 2000 lb weapon, cops open fire injuring both suspects. The only thing that could have been better is if the cops had been better shots and saved the public court cost.

2seaoat

I believe the PNJ put a great deal of innuendo in the article headline and talking about one of the officers previous shooting incidents. I have made no judgment in regards to this incident because I have no facts.......but sadly in the last eight years I have rarely had confidence that fair and impartial reviews of shooting incidents have been provided. If the alleged perps clearly tried to run the officers down in order to escape.....it is a no brainer. If some kids who probably were guilty as sin......decided to become rabbits and run and the officers shot into the back of the vehicle where they or the public were not in danger......Houston we have a problem.

I clearly saw two bullet holes in the windshield. If those are entry shots......and they do look like 90 degree entry.....but I am no expert except the years of accidentally putting a bb into a window the entry is clean and the exit simply explodes.....then it would appear that the officers were telling the truth, but the photo on the windshield is far from clear, and an investigator will nail that down in about two seconds.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Well, I for one, am glad Officer Roedel survived two dangerous gun-related situations. He did his job.

2seaoat

Well, I for one, am glad Officer Roedel survived two dangerous gun-related situations. He did his job.

I hope you are correct in your conclusion, but I think a proper way to have said what you said would be that he survived two dangerous incidents....a gun related incident, and a vehicle incident. I do not believe any of the facts justify calling the second incident a "gun" incident unless your meaning is that Roedel is the one creating the danger......because he is the only one who used a gun in both incidents....and that certainly does not appear to be your meaning.

2seaoat wrote:Well, I for one, am glad Officer Roedel survived two dangerous gun-related situations. He did his job.

I hope you are correct in your conclusion, but I think a proper way to have said what you said would be that he survived two dangerous incidents....a gun related incident, and a vehicle incident. I do not believe any of the facts justify calling the second incident a "gun" incident unless your meaning is that Roedel is the one creating the danger......because he is the only one who used a gun in both incidents....and that certainly does not appear to be your meaning.

OK, let's rephrase it. "We are glad Officer Roedel has survived 2 lethal weapons incidents."

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:I believe the PNJ put a great deal of innuendo in the article headline and talking about one of the officers previous shooting incidents. I have made no judgment in regards to this incident because I have no facts.......but sadly in the last eight years I have rarely had confidence that fair and impartial reviews of shooting incidents have been provided. If the alleged perps clearly tried to run the officers down in order to escape.....it is a no brainer. If some kids who probably were guilty as sin......decided to become rabbits and run and the officers shot into the back of the vehicle where they or the public were not in danger......Houston we have a problem.

I clearly saw two bullet holes in the windshield. If those are entry shots......and they do look like 90 degree entry.....but I am no expert except the years of accidentally putting a bb into a window the entry is clean and the exit simply explodes.....then it would appear that the officers were telling the truth, but the photo on the windshield is far from clear, and an investigator will nail that down in about two seconds.

When I was living in Louisville years ago, there was a case where the cops were attempting to apprehend a teen in a stolen SUV. In his haste to make a getaway, the kid gunned the vehicle in reverse and went partially over a small retaining wall. The rear wheels were off the ground. When the cops ordered the kid to surrender, he gunned the engine again with the wheels spinning futilely. One of the cops opened fire, emptying his gun into the teen. He later said in his report that he feared the vehicle would somehow get free. Some activists raised a stink, so they had an investigation for show, ultimately clearing the cop of any wrongdoing as is nearly always the case.

Your skepticism is well placed.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:Well, I for one, am glad Officer Roedel survived two dangerous gun-related situations. He did his job.

I absolutely did not intend to state Officer Roedel created the danger. Perhaps I should have said, I am glad he survived two dangerous situations in which he was FORCED to fire his weapon.

2seaoat

We are all glad when "every" officer finishes their shift safely.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum