Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Two girls hit while walking on Mobile Highway near New Warrington Road. One dead.

+7
PBulldog2
ZVUGKTUBM
Floridatexan
Yella
gulfbeachbandit
Nekochan
Slicef18
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

boards of FL wrote:I challenge everyone to get in your car at night, drive 35 mph with your headlights on, and tell me that you would not be able to see pedestrians in the road in front of you or be able to stop in time without hitting them. This is the story we are being sold here.

I'll take that challenge only if you volunteer to dress in dark clothing and walk in the middle of the street. I'll gladly drive westward on Mobile Hwy at 4AM at 35 MPH and see how close I get to you before I see you.

Nekochan wrote:You dodge people walking in the middle of the street in the pitch dark all the time?
This is that big of a problem in Pensacola?
It isn't pitch dark when my lights are on..
Yes, people are always in the road and it pisses me off too..
My Brother had one commit suicide by jumpin in front of him at 45MPH and he had less damage than that Tahoe..

Nekochan

Nekochan

If you are dressed in such a way as to blend in with the dark...it's pitch dark.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

BP wrote:
ghandi wrote:They were walking with their backs to oncoming traffic, dark skin, and dark clothes at night. What was there to see?
And I still want to know why they weren't in bed at 4 AM on a school night.
Babysitting is a nice way to make a few bucks for a teenager but not all night long on a school night.

Lets dress you in dark clothing & let you walk in the road and lets see if driver "Dreams" can see you are not.

Lol
You first. I'm a valuable tax paying member of society. I would be missed. You wouldn't.

no stress

no stress

ghandi wrote:
BP wrote:
ghandi wrote:They were walking with their backs to oncoming traffic, dark skin, and dark clothes at night. What was there to see?
Babysitting is a nice way to make a few bucks for a teenager but not all night long on a school night.

Lets dress you in dark clothing & let you walk in the road and lets see if driver "Dreams" can see you are not.

Lol
You first. I'm a valuable tax paying member of society. I would be missed. You wouldn't.

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

In one study, the average driver saw dark-clothed pedestrians standing “a foot or two” to the right of the car at a range of 150 feet while 90% of the drivers fell in a range from 50-250 feet. When pedestrians stood to the left, the visibility distances halved. Using some reasonable assumptions, the authors concluded that a driver traveling 55 mph would fail to see a pedestrian on the right in time to avoid collision 45% of the time. If the pedestrian is standing to the left, the number grows to 95% - the driver will almost always hit the pedestrian.

Switching from dark clothing to a white vest markedly improved visibility. Drivers then detected pedestrians on the right at about 300 feet and pedestrians on the left at about 200 feet. Theoretically, the vest reduces the number of accidents to 3% right and 9% left, or an improvement by a factor of 10.

The benefit of lighter clothing is to be expected since detection depends on the amount of light reflected from the pedestrian back to the driver’s eye. This, in turn, is the amount of light falling on the pedestrian multiplied by reflectivity of the clothing. Pedestrians could be made more visible either by being more brightly illuminated by a closer headlamp or by wearing lighter, more reflective clothing.

At city driving speeds of 35 mph, the stopping distance is 138 feet and the stopping time is 3.6 seconds. These calculations also assume good conditions and ignore brake lag, the time from touching the pedal to full depression and lock up, which is likely .25-.50 sec. The requirements increase when the road is wet, the vehicle is heavier (a fully loaded tractor trailer can take 400 feet or more), the terrain slopes downhill or the driver’s reaction time is slowed.

BP wrote:"I'm glad that Ty was cleared by FHP. I would guess that he also has to be cleared by ECSO and perhaps FDLE before he can return to active duty."

Pardon me here but I dont know this deputy but I'll tell you this, I see the majority of LEO's "preoccupied" when driving around here on a daily basis. Talking on cell phones, using the computer while driving. I have to wonder if this deputy had his eyes facing forward watching the road ahead of him or was he distracted. So his vehicle video camera filmed the girls in the roadway but we dont know if the deputy was paying attn. I say he wasn't.

Pardon me, but if I watched you drive, I bet I'd see you talking on your cell, drinking coffee, eating, fiddling with your music, maybe lighting a cigarette or checking your GPS, and perhaps involved in conversation with your passengers. How many of those things that you fiddle with in your car are the tools of your trade?

LEOs are required to have cell phones and to use them. Same with their computers. A good driver does not have his eyes facing forward 100% of the time. A good defensive driver is checking every mirror at least once every 10 seconds. You don't know jack shit about what was going on in that SUV, but you are mighty quick to criticize the deputy and LEOs in general. I find that typical among people who get a lot of tickets or who have a criminal history.

no stress

no stress

BirdyBack wrote:
BP wrote:"I'm glad that Ty was cleared by FHP. I would guess that he also has to be cleared by ECSO and perhaps FDLE before he can return to active duty."

Pardon me here but I dont know this deputy but I'll tell you this, I see the majority of LEO's "preoccupied" when driving around here on a daily basis. Talking on cell phones, using the computer while driving. I have to wonder if this deputy had his eyes facing forward watching the road ahead of him or was he distracted. So his vehicle video camera filmed the girls in the roadway but we dont know if the deputy was paying attn. I say he wasn't.

Pardon me, but if I watched you drive, I bet I'd see you talking on your cell, drinking coffee, eating, fiddling with your music, maybe lighting a cigarette or checking your GPS, and perhaps involved in conversation with your passengers. How many of those things that you fiddle with in your car are the tools of your trade?

LEOs are required to have cell phones and to use them. Same with their computers. A good driver does not have his eyes facing forward 100% of the time. A good defensive driver is checking every mirror at least once every 10 seconds. You don't know jack shit about what was going on in that SUV, but you are mighty quick to criticize the deputy and LEOs in general. I find that typical among people who get a lot of tickets or who have a criminal history.

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

boards of FL

boards of FL

I'm sorry. 35mph + alert driver + headlights does not equal hitting people that are walking in the road, regardless of what color their clothes are - particularly for someone whose profession involves driving around all day. I don't think many of you even realize exactly how slow 35 mph is.

Usain Bolt topped out at over 27 mph in his last 100 meter gold.

boards of FL wrote:I'm sorry. 35mph + alert driver + headlights does not equal hitting people that are walking in the road, regardless of what color their clothes are - particularly for someone whose profession involves driving around all day. I don't think many of you even realize exactly how slow 35 mph is.

Scientific studies say differently. There was another teen that was hit and killed in Ensley last night about 10:30 Statistics also exonerate thousands of drivers yearly in the US because the driver did not see the pedestrian in time to react and come to a full stop before hitting them.

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
boards of FL wrote:I'm sorry. 35mph + alert driver + headlights does not equal hitting people that are walking in the road, regardless of what color their clothes are - particularly for someone whose profession involves driving around all day. I don't think many of you even realize exactly how slow 35 mph is.

Scientific studies say differently. There was another teen that was hit and killed in Ensley last night about 10:30 Statistics also exonerate thousands of drivers yearly in the US because the driver did not see the pedestrian in time to react and come to a full stop before hitting them.

There's a difference between walking in the road in a 35MPH speed limit and running into traffic when the limit is 45MPH.. Just Sayin...
The kids shouldn't have been in the road in the first place but he should have been able to avoid them if he was paying attention to the road ahead of him..

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I was in a video store one night when two kids were killed right outside on hwy 90. It was pitch black out they both laid in the road and were seeing who would get up first with a mustang barreling down on them. They both had the "guts" to stay laying on the road..they both were killed horribly.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I was in a video store one night when two kids were killed right outside on hwy 90. It was pitch black out they both laid in the road and were seeing who would get up first with a mustang barreling down on them. They both had the "guts" to stay laying on the road..they both were killed horribly.

Is the mustang OK?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

ghandi wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:I was in a video store one night when two kids were killed right outside on hwy 90. It was pitch black out they both laid in the road and were seeing who would get up first with a mustang barreling down on them. They both had the "guts" to stay laying on the road..they both were killed horribly.

Is the mustang OK?

No bout like what a deer would do to a car...

Lurch wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

There's a difference between walking in the road in a 35MPH speed limit and running into traffic when the limit is 45MPH.. Just Sayin...
The kids shouldn't have been in the road in the first place but he should have been able to avoid them if he was paying attention to the road ahead of him..

We can all sit here and armchair quarterback this, but in reality none of us really know unless we are in a situation such as this. Yes he could have stopped in time if...........no he couldn't.......yes he could.......no he couldn't...... And on the other side of the coin, the girls should not have been walking in the middle of the road, that's what side walks are for............. these girls should not have been out and on the streets at 4AM..........and on and on and on we can go, but it the end it is all speculation.

Yella

Yella

if somebody is walking in the middle of the road and gets run into by a car they can bring suit and make a lot of money and only be in pain until the ambulance arrives with a painkiller. It beats going to school and pays better than having a government baby which you have to take care of unless you a a willing granny.
I expect that family had a plethora of hungry lawyers on the doorstep within hours of this tragedy.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yella wrote:if somebody is walking in the middle of the road and gets run into by a car they can bring suit and make a lot of money and only be in pain until the ambulance arrives with a painkiller. It beats going to school and pays better than having a government baby which you have to take care of unless you a a willing granny.
I expect that family had a plethora of hungry lawyers on the doorstep within hours of this tragedy.

Yella if I didn't know that happens all the time I would think you were a r-----t.

Yella

Yella

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Yella wrote:if somebody is walking in the middle of the road and gets run into by a car they can bring suit and make a lot of money and only be in pain until the ambulance arrives with a painkiller. It beats going to school and pays better than having a government baby which you have to take care of unless you a a willing granny.

Yella if I didn't know that happens all the time I would think you were a r-----t.

I am not a racist, only pointing out what could be a fact, only my opinion.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yella wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

I am not a racist, only pointing out what could be a fact, only my opinion.

I had 4 "young people" try to set me up for insurance fraud on MLK in Panama City once. fortunately my insurance company had sharp investigators and it was dropped.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I had 4 "young people" try to set me up for insurance fraud on MLK in Panama City once. fortunately my insurance company had sharp investigators and it was dropped.

http://www.hiphopstan.com/insurance-scam-fail-car/

This kinda crap happens all the time. There's an animated gif of something similar to this, but I can't find it.

Found it
Two girls hit while walking on Mobile Highway near New Warrington Road. One dead. - Page 4 Nst9s

boards of FL wrote:I challenge everyone to get in your car at night, drive 35 mph with your headlights on, and tell me that you would not be able to see pedestrians in the road in front of you or be able to stop in time without hitting them. This is the story we are being sold here.

I can tell you from experience I've had more than a few narrow misses from people walking on the side of the road in dark clothing enough for me to almost hit them when I suddenly came upon them. Even at 35 mph, if you see them suddenly it is too late to stop befoe hitting them. I have stopped a few times also and told people they could not be seen and I almost hit them because they blended in the dark.

BP wrote:

Lol

LOL!

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Dreamsglore wrote:

I can tell you from experience I've had more than a few narrow misses from people walking on the side of the road in dark clothing enough for me to almost hit them when I suddenly came upon them. Even at 35 mph, if you see them suddenly it is too late to stop befoe hitting them. I have stopped a few times also and told people they could not be seen and I almost hit them because they blended in the dark.

I'm surprised the state allows you to have a license to drive.

Lurch wrote:
That's what I'm talkin about..
I dodge them all the time..
And I frequent that area too..
The damage to the Tahoe looks kinda bad for hitting a girl at 35MPH too..

He hit them on the left front side so they were not actually walking in the middle of the street but they were in the street.He hit the one w/ his side mirror. I can see this happening.

"You don't know jack shit about what was going on in that SUV, but you are mighty quick to criticize the deputy and LEOs in general. I find that typical among people who get a lot of tickets or who have a criminal history."

Ouch! I'm mortally wounded by your stabbing. Call me a ambulance please.

I can only verify that I "see" lots of LEO's driving reckless daily. I suppose you think PPD Ard didn't run over the teenager on his bike either.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum