Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Two girls hit while walking on Mobile Highway near New Warrington Road. One dead.

+7
PBulldog2
ZVUGKTUBM
Floridatexan
Yella
gulfbeachbandit
Nekochan
Slicef18
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Slicef18

Slicef18

This was a disaster just waiting to happen. Ya see, these two 16 year old girls were walking with their backs to traffic, on the inside lane of Mobile Highway, at four o'clock in the morning. The outcome would be predictable.

Nekochan

Nekochan

What the heck are 16 year old girls doing walking down Mobile Hwy at 4 am?

It's so sad this happened, but where are the parents???

I'm tired of dodging people in the road and especially at night when they're harder to see but I still see them.. I'm wondering what speeds he was traveling at? At 35MPH (the posted limit) he should of had plenty of time to stop..The ECM in the Tahoe would have it in its memory if they really wanted to know how fast he was going.. A civilian would also be blood tested for illegal drugs or alcohol when a death happens.. I wonder if he was tested like the rest of us would be?

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

The parents probably already have a lawyer and are trying to sue the county.
Cha ching.

Nekochan

Nekochan

I don't know what the procedure is for testing a police officer involved in a fatality like this, but it is being investigated by the Highway Patrol. I would still like to know what 16 year olds are doing out on Mobile Highway at 4 am.

http://www.weartv.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wear_vid_25043.shtml

They shouldn't be out at that time and damn sure shouldn't be in the road..
But if you're paying attention to your driving and doing the posted limit you shouldn't be running over pedestrians either.. I've had a few close calls with cops driving bad.. I think they should drive two to a car so one can play with the computer and work the radio while the other drives.. It would cut down on fuel costs too.. They always send backup and if they have two in a car it would eliminate the second unit..

Nekochan

Nekochan

Lurch, if the officer was in any way negligent, I hope the investigation uncovers it. I think it's good that the Highway Patrol is doing the investigation.
But I don't know how you can automatically blame the deputy. You seem to have a bias against law enforcement.

Too many of them think they're above the law.. Not all of them but enough of them to piss me off.. and the ones that cover for them are worse.. Just look at what happened in NOLA at the bridge.. You seem to think they're all angels..

Nekochan

Nekochan

I never said they're all angels. I have actually said, on the PNJ forum, that a bad cop is a very dangerous person.
I just don't think they're all or mostly bad, like you seem to think. I don't know why you think that if someone is hit in the road, it's automatically the driver's fault...or is it only if the driver is a cop?

Nekochan wrote:I never said they're all angels. I have actually said, on the PNJ forum, that a bad cop is a very dangerous person.
I just don't think they're all or mostly bad, like you seem to think. I don't know why you think that if someone is hit in the road, it's automatically the driver's fault...or is it only if the driver is a cop?
If anyone has ever driven through that area during the times of darkness...it's surprising and lucky that this doesn't happen on a regular basis...Just FYI anytime a law enforcement officer is involved in a crash of any kind they are tested...before assigning blame to the officer how about the results of the INVESTIGATION...

Slicef18

Slicef18

newswatcher wrote:
Nekochan wrote:I never said they're all angels. I have actually said, on the PNJ forum, that a bad cop is a very dangerous person.
If anyone has ever driven through that area during the times of darkness...it's surprising and lucky that this doesn't happen on a regular basis...Just FYI anytime a law enforcement officer is involved in a crash of any kind they are tested...before assigning blame to the officer how about the results of the INVESTIGATION...

Agreed.

newswatcher wrote:

That's why I just asked the question about checking the ECM..
I know the area well and I see them speeding there often..
I was almost rear ended by a deputy at W and Mobile recently, he ended up going around me and blew the red almost hitting another car...
I really doubt this guy was doing 35MPH.. Just Sayin..

I live not to far from that area. Lighting has always been a issue. Old Corry is also a very dangerous road to drive. There many sections of the West side that have lighting issues. But no one really gives a damn. It is just the price we pay for living in a 3rd world area. Tragic but nothing will change................. Need to run... Morning Joe is coming on and I dont want to miss if he mentions Pensacola...

The lights on my vehicles function just fine.. I can see what's in the road ahead of me.. I guess it's because I spend a lot of my time on two wheels but I really pay attention to the road ahead of me..

Nekochan

Nekochan

I really pay attention too. I especially learned to pay attention when I lived and drove in Japan, on narrow, dark roads that were filled with bicyclists and pedestrians--and usually with no sidewalks and often on roads where there was no room for two cars to pass one another.
But I am not so sure of myself to say that something like this would never happen to me, even while driving on or under the speed limit and while paying close attention.

I also saw no mention of the type of clothes these girls were wearing. If they were dark, that would be even more of a factor plus from the marking on the street they were under the over-pass which has no lighting making it darker still.

I am not going to exonerate the deputy just yet, I'll wait for the investigation to be completed, but there are just far too many factors that play into this for us to start placing blame just yet. One thing we do know for certain, these girls at their age should not have been out at 4 AM and certainly not walking in the middle of a busy hwy lane.

Yella

Yella

For some unknown reason, at least to me, young blacks like to walk in the middle of the road. I have seen it many times. The last time I crept up pretty close but they would not move aside. I feel it was a power play of some sort. I finally passed them using the opposite lane. As I drove by them I suggested they could get in trouble and one of them said, "Don't you get in trouble here."
Anybody else seen this sort of thing?

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Lurch wrote:
newswatcher wrote:

That's why I just asked the question about checking the ECM..
I know the area well and I see them speeding there often..
I was almost rear ended by a deputy at W and Mobile recently, he ended up going around me and blew the red almost hitting another car...
I really doubt this guy was doing 35MPH.. Just Sayin..

Agreed. I dont even travel at 35 mph in that area & most other drivers do not. I see plenty of local cops driving & distracted on the phone or the pc.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

ghandi wrote:The parents probably already have a lawyer and are trying to sue the county.
Cha ching.

What the HELL is wrong with you? Why don't you ever just shut up? You are without a doubt the most sickening, uncharitable person I've had the pleasure of never meeting. I hope I never will.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Floridatexan wrote:
ghandi wrote:The parents probably already have a lawyer and are trying to sue the county.
Cha ching.

What the HELL is wrong with you? Why don't you ever just shut up? You are without a doubt the most sickening, uncharitable person I've had the pleasure of never meeting. I hope I never will.

But you know it's true. They will try to sue. Mark my words.

Rumor has it that the deputy was texting when he hit the girls, but I will still withhold judgement until the investigation is complete.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Yella wrote:For some unknown reason, at least to me, young blacks like to walk in the middle of the road. I have seen it many times. The last time I crept up pretty close but they would not move aside. I feel it was a power play of some sort. I finally passed them using the opposite lane. As I drove by them I suggested they could get in trouble and one of them said, "Don't you get in trouble here."

Absolutely... And it isn't just kids. In the Spring and the Fall, when the weather is nice, walkers come out. I don't fault them for this. However, they like to walk in the middle of the right-hand traffic lane, with their backs to traffic. They expect cars to go around them. Some become irate if you honk at them, and will flip you off and yell expletives as you drive around them.

Then there was this certain group of teens in my neighborhood who would intentionally walk in traffic, two-abreast, with their backs to cars. They would not move when cars came up on them, I would pull right up to them and blast my horn at them. This one kid would almost jump out of his skin, give my a dirty look, and then move out of the way. I was not going to play their game and drive around them!

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Yella wrote:For some unknown reason, at least to me, young blacks like to walk in the middle of the road. I have seen it many times. The last time I crept up pretty close but they would not move aside. I feel it was a power play of some sort. I finally passed them using the opposite lane. As I drove by them I suggested they could get in trouble and one of them said, "Don't you get in trouble here."

Absolutely... And it isn't just kids. In the Spring and the Fall, when the weather is nice, walkers come out. I don't fault them for this. However, they like to walk in the middle of the right-hand traffic lane, with their backs to traffic. They expect cars to go around them. Some become irate if you honk at them, and will flip you off and yell expletives as you drive around them.

Then there was this certain group of teens in my neighborhood who would intentionally walk in traffic, two-abreast, with their backs to cars. They would not move when cars came up on them, I would pull right up to them and blast my horn at them. This one kid would almost jump out of his skin, give my a dirty look, and then move out of the way. I was not going to play their game and drive around them!

There's a group of kids in my neighborhood, some really young, who like to play in the street. I get the same attitude from them. I think their parents are too lazy to take them to the park.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Nekochan wrote:Lurch, if the officer was in any way negligent, I hope the investigation uncovers it. I think it's good that the Highway Patrol is doing the investigation.
But I don't know how you can automatically blame the deputy. You seem to have a bias against law enforcement.

The deputy, Ty Brewer, is a man we frequently deal with at work. He's one of the good guys.

This whole story is so sad.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Yes, Yella, and quite often. In one particular neighborhood I drive through, it's not uncommom for the teens to walk five across on the road. When you try to pass, they will turn around and just stare at you, as if you were an intruder, before they vacate the road.

The worst road by far is the area between Cervantes and Pace. I once saw a woman with two small children in tow who was crossing without even looking. I didn't hit them, but I had to stop in the road.

She didn't even turn around and give me a glance of thanks. I suppose she thought it was her due.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum