Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Two girls hit while walking on Mobile Highway near New Warrington Road. One dead.

+7
PBulldog2
ZVUGKTUBM
Floridatexan
Yella
gulfbeachbandit
Nekochan
Slicef18
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Gunz wrote:That's not true,Ghost. You cannot endanger citizens when responding to an emergency call.Clearly driving down a lane head on against traffic is endangering. I have called on an ambulance when they did that on Davis Hwy. Police and ambulances are told not to do that. -Dreams-

Thats a load of BS! Escambia EMS and Fire, City Fire, Escambia SO and City PD routinely must safely and with lights and siren drive against traffic to get to a call. At rush hour and pretty much anytime in December traffic is so bad that responding in the oncoming traffic is a must unless you want to sit in traffic. None of the agencies listed above have any SOPs or GOGLs advising against this practice. Now I dont know what they teach at "the academy" but most paid drivers continue their education and attend an EVOC course (Emergency Vehical Operations Course) as I did, and are taught in that class that it is perfectly acceptable to drive against the flow of traffic when there is no other safer route to follow.

Safely! Going against ongoing traffic is not safely and you know you cannot endanger citizens.You're full of it.

no stress

no stress

Dreamsglore wrote:
Gunz wrote:That's not true,Ghost. You cannot endanger citizens when responding to an emergency call.Clearly driving down a lane head on against traffic is endangering. I have called on an ambulance when they did that on Davis Hwy. Police and ambulances are told not to do that. -Dreams-

Thats a load of BS! Escambia EMS and Fire, City Fire, Escambia SO and City PD routinely must safely and with lights and siren drive against traffic to get to a call. At rush hour and pretty much anytime in December traffic is so bad that responding in the oncoming traffic is a must unless you want to sit in traffic. None of the agencies listed above have any SOPs or GOGLs advising against this practice. Now I dont know what they teach at "the academy" but most paid drivers continue their education and attend an EVOC course (Emergency Vehical Operations Course) as I did, and are taught in that class that it is perfectly acceptable to drive against the flow of traffic when there is no other safer route to follow.

Safely! Going against ongoing traffic is not safely and you know you cannot endanger citizens.You're full of it.

It is just as safe as stopping at a red light, and then going ahead. It is just as safe as exceeding the speed limit (as Florida law allows me to do) in a 40 thousand pound truck. You dont go balls to the wall when going against the flow dreams and, honestly with the exception of you, everyone else has no problem moving over. Driving 10-18 in this county with drivers like you is the only thing thats unsafe.

Dreamsglore wrote:

If can and is done safely on a daily basis all across the US, as a matter of fact I just saw it happen last night on Nine Mile and Pine Forest. From the times that I have seen it happen, the driver of the emergency vehicle will SLOWLY go into opposing traffic with their lights and sirens blasting and then proceed only when it is safe to do so. Once the driver goes into opposing traffic, it then becomes your responsibility to yield to him.

no stress

no stress

Dreamsglore wrote:

It is just as safe as stopping at a red light, and then going ahead. It is just as safe as exceeding the speed limit (as Florida law allows me to do) in a 40 thousand pound truck. You dont go balls to the wall when going against the flow dreams and, honestly with the exception of you, everyone else has no problem moving over. Driving 10-18 in this county with drivers like you is the only thing thats unsafe.

Gunz wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

I disagree w/ that and know for a fact that is not encouraged. It is far from safe and and you will be at fault if you kill someone.

no stress

no stress

Dreamsglore wrote:
Gunz wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

I disagree w/ that and know for a fact that is not encouraged. It is far from safe and and you will be at fault if you kill someone.

I've been driving emergency vehicals professionally for 25 years, before that I drove them as a volunteer. I am not going to argue with a social worker as to correct procedure or protocol in doing my job. We will just have to agree to disagree dreams.

Dreamsglore wrote:
Gunz wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

If not encouraged, then why do so many do it? If it isn't encouraged you certainly see a lot of it happening right her in Escambia and Santa Rosa County. I doubt that the driver of an emergency vehicle would be held accountable in case of an accident. You, as a vehicle operator have the responsibility to move out of the way of emergency vehicles.

I will continue looking for the link, but a few years ago at Palafox and Johnson and ambulance was responding 10-18. The driver crossed over into oncoming traffic, came to a complete stop to give traffic time to yield, however some idiot decided to go around all the traffic that was pulled over, by this time the ambulance had proceeded again and they collided head-on. Guess who was ticketed and it surely was not the ambulance driver.

no stress

no stress

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Gunz wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

If not encouraged, then why do so many do it? If it isn't encouraged you certainly see a lot of it happening right her in Escambia and Santa Rosa County. I doubt that the driver of an emergency vehicle would be held accountable in case of an accident. You, as a vehicle operator have the responsibility to move out of the way of emergency vehicles.

I will continue looking for the link, but a few years ago at Palafox and Johnson and ambulance was responding 10-18. The driver crossed over into oncoming traffic, came to a complete stop to give traffic time to yield, however some idiot decided to go around all the traffic that was pulled over, by this time the ambulance had proceeded again and they collided head-on. Guess who was ticketed and it surely was not the ambulance driver.

She is simply full of shit ghost. The fact is no-one is discouraged or encouraged to do anything. In fact, the bosses rarely question our tactics and driving abilities. I'd like to see her post an inter departmental memo to back up any of that horse shit she is trying to sell.

Here is something I found from a handbook for emergency vehicle drivers. This I know for a fact was taught to ambulance drivers here in Escambia County for some time.

Opposing Traffic Lanes: Operating emergency vehicles in opposing traffic lanes is extremely hazardous under all conditions and should only be considered under exceptional circumstances (i.e., if there is no alternate route of travel).

Many departments have established a standard that when an emergency vehicle must travel in an opposing traffic lane, or in a center turn lane to maneuver around slow moving or stopped traffic, the emergency vehicle shall not exceed 20 miles-per-hour, at a maximum. If there is a median separating the emergency vehicle from the slow or stopped traffic, the emergency vehicle shall not exceed a maximum of 30 miles-per-hour. (Actual speed, up to the specified limit, should depend on the road, traffic and weather conditions, and local terrain.)

When approaching a controlled intersection (traffic lights or stop signs) in an opposing traffic lane or center turn lane, the emergency vehicle shall come to a full stop before entering the intersection, even if the traffic light is green in the direction of travel.

Travel in an Opposing Direction: Operating emergency vehicles against the normal flow of traffic requires extreme caution and should only be considered under exceptional circumstances (i.e., if there is no alternate route of travel). Travel against the normal direction of traffic flow on a one-way street shall be limited to short distances. Emergency vehicle drivers must proceed slowly and with extreme caution in these situations.
The emergency vehicle must come to a full stop before entering an intersection while traveling in an opposing direction.

Gunz wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Gunz wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

She is simply full of shit ghost. The fact is no-one is discouraged or encouraged to do anything. In fact, the bosses rarely question our tactics and driving abilities. I'd like to see her post an inter departmental memo to back up any of that horse shit she is trying to sell.

I am also an ex-police officer and I know for a fact they don't encourage that.Just because it is done does not mean it is acceptable and ambulance companies do get sued and lose because they could have taken another route. I know a lot of police who got in trouble in my day for doing that and causing accidents.We were told if you cannot proceed safely then do not proceed.Another officer can respond but under no circumstances do you endanger the lives of citizens!

no stress

no stress

I am also an ex-police officer and I know for a fact they don't encourage that.Just because it is done does not mean it is acceptable and ambulance companies do get sued and lose because they could have taken another route. I know a lot of police who got in trouble in my day for doing that and causing accidents.We were told if you cannot proceed safely then do not proceed.Another officer can respond but under no circumstances do you endanger the lives of citizens!

Blah blah blah, blahblahblah. blah blah.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum