Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hurricane Isaac

+13
TEOTWAWKI
SheSurfs
no stress
Joanimaroni
NaNook
Nekochan
othershoe1030
Lisa12
ZVUGKTUBM
Yella
PBulldog2
gulfbeachbandit
Hospital Bob
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 10]

201Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 9:37 am

On a whim, I bought about four gallons of whole peeled tomatoes at Sam's last week. When the weather gets chilly, I'll make a giant batch of chili. It should last the whole football season. I throw lots of beef and chillies and hot pork sausage in it... Yum.

202Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 9:45 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I let Whataburger do a lot of my cooking immediately after the storm.
Gulf Power gets the power back on immediately in the area around Sacred Heart hospital and that includes the Whataburger.
And if you have a generator you won't have any interruption in keeping your fridge cool so that helps too.

203Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 9:50 am

Bob wrote:I let Whataburger do a lot of my cooking immediately after the storm.
Gulf Power gets the power back on immediately in the area around Sacred Heart hospital and that includes the Whataburger.
And if you have a generator you won't have any interruption in keeping your fridge cool so that helps too.

my emergency supply isnt just for storms, its for in case the power grid goes down. I also have a seed bank. This all makes me a terrorist.

204Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 9:52 am

Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrMuv2o0Ft6Nn4PxHeBy4WinGWgrUiyltSGjHyDYcms0hMERiBgg&t=1

205Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 9:56 am

hallmarkgrad wrote:Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrMuv2o0Ft6Nn4PxHeBy4WinGWgrUiyltSGjHyDYcms0hMERiBgg&t=1

Gawd, I hope you haven't raked up the dog poop with that rake!

206Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 9:57 am

hallmarkgrad wrote:Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrMuv2o0Ft6Nn4PxHeBy4WinGWgrUiyltSGjHyDYcms0hMERiBgg&t=1

lol!

Now whodathunk that one! cheers

207Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 10:23 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

That makes me hungry for grilled weiners. Should be a nice breeze on the patio for the next couple days which will blow the mosquitoes away too.
Hurricanes are not all bad.

208Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 1:08 pm

Yella

Yella

Chrissy8 wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
Chrissy8 wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:
hallmarkgrad wrote:I dont eat stuff like that. It is for emergencies.

It's funny you should say that. All my preps are stuff I normally wouldn't eat. The mindset is first it lasts forever and second I won't eat it before I need it....

I understand that emergency food might not be fav foods, but im told it should be foods you would eat. it should be rotated out every year. this is just my personal belief and most preppers ive heard go by this rule. including mormons and amish who are great preppers.

I think he should hold onto his prep foods for a bit longer, thers another storm just around the corner, its still in season.

this one was a dud so far and thats one of the reasons people dont leave when bad ones come along, it was so hyped up and it aint even a freaking hurricane yet this morning.

Chrissy, I personally would not rotate my emergency stock just for the sake of rotation. I check the expiration dates. Some of the canned stuff has 5 year expiration. I remember my mom and dad would check on our shelter supplies and if the expiration date was at or close to expiration they would replace the items. Drinking water would be replace on a monthly basis because it becomes stale after sitting for a while.

I dont just keep canned stuff in my emergency supplies. I have pastas, beans, rice, spices, etc. I dont always replace all my cans everyyear because they have a good date on em, but sometimes I do if they start to look ugly on the outside of the can, thats not appealing to me.

Getting proper nutrients from a emergency supply its important that what you are going to eat is somewhat apetizing to you. If not, you could get nauseated and throw it up.

I did not know that about water. Im going to have to look into that. Thanks

I opened up a can of Vienna Sausages one time in Texas that were so old the dang sausages had fossilized. I was gonna carry 'em to U.T. to the Museum of History but my neighbor found the things and ate every one. He said they tasted sorta like chimachangos that were overcooked.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

209Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 1:26 pm

Sal

Sal

Isaac was a total dud as far as Tampa is concerned. We've had less than an inch of rain so far and winds perhaps gusting to 30-35 mph. Good luck to the panhandlers and the rest of the northern gulf coast.

210Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 1:33 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

salinsky wrote:Isaac was a total dud as far as Tampa is concerned. We've had less than an inch of rain so far and winds perhaps gusting to 30-35 mph. Good luck to the panhandlers and the rest of the northern gulf coast.
Unless the thing does some unexpected intensification, I think it's going to turn out to be a dud period.
I've been through a number of category 1 hurricanes in the 57 years I've lived here and I have not seen one yet that lived up to the media hype they generate.
Oh of course there will be some flooding and downed trees and some power failures. But never to anywhere near the extent the Weather Channel ringmen say will happen.

211Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 2:30 pm

oh no...it's gonna rain like a tall cow pissing on a flat rock....!!!!

run away.....run away.

oy...

212Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 2:49 pm

Looks like it is finally getting ramped up. It looks like the space coast is getting rained on too.

Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Rb-animated

213Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 4:15 pm

I think it windier here now then it was last night.

at least some wind for my hot as hell day.. and I got the day off with pay Very Happy

214Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 4:31 pm

Chrissy8 wrote:I think it windier here now then it was last night.

at least some wind for my hot as hell day.. and I got the day off with pay :D

the bridge is supposed to close at 7pm and GB Hospital is sorta in lockdown. M is gonna be home and we're just worried that the pool will overflow if we lose electricity. not good.

i don't want to replace another liner. i know that sounds selfish but Ivan cost us a shit load of money because we didn't file any insurance claims.

the pool, security fence, etc, etc....

not this time. if we lose a shingle i'll file a claim.

215Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/28/2012, 12:52 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

If it comes in exactly where the forecast track is indicating now, it could be interesting. That would take the center up the west side of the river and immediately adjacent to New Orleans. That is the absolutely worst track New Orleans can experience. And that coupled with the slow movement means it will push a lot of water into New Orleans both with surge and rainfall.
But that's only if it stays on that exact track.

216Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/28/2012, 2:00 pm

Bob wrote:But that's only if it stays on that exact track.

It looks like it is soooo close, it would be hard for it NOT to hit New Orleans.

217Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/28/2012, 2:15 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yomama wrote:
Bob wrote:But that's only if it stays on that exact track.

It looks like it is soooo close, it would be hard for it NOT to hit New Orleans.
But a few miles shift either way can determine whether it comes in just to the east or just to the west of the city.
No doubt about it either way the water will be piled up and pushed toward the coast and will cause a water rise in the lake and that will spill into the canals. That's what happened in Katrina. BUT the level of water with Katrina would have been a lot higher had the storm passed just to the west.

218Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/28/2012, 2:19 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

New Orleans is a special case since it lies inland and is between the river and the lake and is mostly below sea level. That's a nightmare scenario for hurricanes regardless.
But which side of a given location the center of a storm passes through can sometimes really make a difference. One hurricane passed just north of Galveston and because of that the water was sucked out of Galveston Bay (instead of flooding Galveston Bay had it passed south of it).

219Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/28/2012, 2:22 pm

Bob wrote:No doubt about it either way the water will be piled up and pushed toward the coast and will cause a water rise in the lake and that will spill into the canals. That's what happened in Katrina.

But don't they have a new expensive floodgate to protect the lake? I read about a floodgate today. I'll see if I can find it. I assumed it was for lake Pontchartrain.

Edit: http://www.mvn.usace.army.mil/hps2/pdf/March%2022,%202012.pdf

Edit/Edit: It was the Lake Borgne INHC Flood Barrier I read about this morning, but there was other work done to prevent the same thing that happened with Katrina.

Last edited by Yomama on 8/28/2012, 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

220Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/28/2012, 2:24 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yomama wrote:
Bob wrote:No doubt about it either way the water will be piled up and pushed toward the coast and will cause a water rise in the lake and that will spill into the canals. That's what happened in Katrina.

But don't they have a new expensive floodgate to protect the lake? I read about a floodgate today. I'll see if I can find it. I assumed it was for lake Pontchartrain.
I imagine with the improvements it'll be okay. But it will be interesting to see what happens.

221Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/28/2012, 2:30 pm

According to Reuters

"After Katrina, the Corps of Engineers built a $14.5 billion defense flood system of walls, floodgates, levees and pumps designed to protect the city against a massive tidal surge like the one that swamped New Orleans in Katrina's wake.

The floodgate being closed is 26 feet high and 1.8 miles long. It was designed to prevent the Inner Harbor Navigation Canal from breaching its walls, as it did in 2005, flooding the neighborhoods of the Lower Ninth Ward, Gentilly and New Orleans East, and St. Bernard Parish."

After spending that much money, hopefully it'll hold up this time.

Last edited by Yomama on 8/28/2012, 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

222Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/28/2012, 2:30 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Why does a storm that will be a fizzle for us need a sticky note? I am tired of my family members blaring the Weather Channel at full blast for hours at a time, and am ready for Isaac to just go away......

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

223Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/28/2012, 2:47 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Why does a storm that will be a fizzle for us need a sticky note? I am tired of my family members blaring the Weather Channel at full blast for hours at a time, and am ready for Isaac to just go away......

You've heard of the saying "If It Bleeds It Leads". Well that's now been replaced with "Even If It Doesn't Bleed Say It Bleeds And It Still Leads".

I was listening to Jim Sanborn on WCOA this morning and he calls it...
The Weather Hysteria Channel. lol

224Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Perdido Key 8/28/2012, 2:49 pm

SheSurfs

SheSurfs

2 PM Tues. Perdido Key. Sets coming in 12-15 ft. Easily 18-20 ft. on the AL side:

Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Img_0511

225Hurricane Isaac  - Page 9 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/28/2012, 2:49 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I haven't had any rain...steady wind with gusts but not high enough to do any damage...hardly any leaves in the pool.

TB if you are worried about pool over-flow....let some water out of your pool and if the power goes out and the3 pool fills...you can siphon the water out. Of course if this is like tropical storm Debby....that was headed right at us in June...I let water out of the pool and ended up filling it back up because we didn't get any rain or wind from that one.

I had to replace my liner after Ivan only because of my neighbors oak limbs that fell in the pool and tore the bottom of the liner.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum