Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hurricane Isaac

+13
TEOTWAWKI
SheSurfs
no stress
Joanimaroni
NaNook
Nekochan
othershoe1030
Lisa12
ZVUGKTUBM
Yella
PBulldog2
gulfbeachbandit
Hospital Bob
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 10]

176Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/26/2012, 9:33 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I'll be safety sleeping in my FEMA trailer guaranteed by the FEDERAL Government for 135 MPH.
What about the formaldehyde? lol

177Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/26/2012, 9:35 pm

Bob wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:I'll be safety sleeping in my FEMA trailer guaranteed by the FEDERAL Government for 135 MPH.

It shoulda outgassed by now.

178Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/26/2012, 9:44 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yomama wrote:
Bob wrote:

It shoulda outgassed by now.

Naw it still causes me burning of the eyes and a sore throat within a few hours. I use it for storage actually. I have much better living quarters. I bought the trailer more as a joke than anything else.

179Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/26/2012, 9:54 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I'm curious about something, Eric. I wonder what the path labeled F5 looks like now after 14 years. Is it still plainly visible or has it mostly been all rebuilt?

Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Birmingham_Supercell_tornadoes

180Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/26/2012, 10:13 pm

Bob wrote:I'm curious about something, Eric. I wonder what the path labeled F5 looks like now after 14 years. Is it still plainly visible or has it mostly been all rebuilt?

Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Birmingham_Supercell_tornadoes

Bob, I don't get up that way hardly at all. On your map, i live about where the "r" is on the city named Bessemer. I might go into Birmingham to get some fresh-roasted peanuts from the Peanut Depot, but that's downtown. The tornadoes went north of B'ham.

181Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/26/2012, 10:18 pm

Bob wrote:I'm curious about something, Eric. I wonder what the path labeled F5 looks like now after 14 years.

Bob, why don't you pull up a google map of the area.

I want a report on it in the morning, young man!

182Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/26/2012, 10:29 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

http://media.al.com/spotnews/photo/522deadlymapjpg-7929b587c19530f3.jpg

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/05/alabama_tornadoes_deadly_torna.html

183Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/26/2012, 10:53 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

If you're watching the Weather Channel right now you're seeing the good news.
The center of the latest 10 PM NHC track forecast is now New Orleans. And the right edge of the cone is now just to the west of Pensacola (we're now out of the cone).

184Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/26/2012, 10:56 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

but the storm is slowing down and the mb are slightly up....that warm water will cause it to eventually gain strength.....hopefully it will not change directions.

185Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/26/2012, 10:58 pm

this storm from here didnt do much here, its not all gone yet, but i feel good enough about it to go to sleep soon. i think it may hit texas now....

186Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/26/2012, 11:02 pm

Before I put this on Craigslist I thought I would give you all a chance
18 cans of Tuna
25 gallons of water
8 loaves of bread
60 AA batteries
21 cans of vienna sausage(had 22 ate one
24 packages of Ramen

Would like to sell all together ...Thanks for looking..... God Bless....

187Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/26/2012, 11:04 pm

hallmarkgrad wrote:Before I put this on Craigslist I thought I would give you all a chance
18 cans of Tuna
25 gallons of water
8 loaves of bread
60 AA batteries
24 packages of Ramen

why sell it? eat it

188Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/26/2012, 11:06 pm

I dont eat stuff like that. It is for emergencies.

189Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/26/2012, 11:44 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Joanimaroni wrote:but the storm is slowing down and the mb are slightly up..
The slowing down is something bad but the increase in the central pressure is something good.

190Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/26/2012, 11:46 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

hallmarkgrad wrote:Before I put this on Craigslist I thought I would give you all a chance
18 cans of Tuna
25 gallons of water
8 loaves of bread
60 AA batteries
24 packages of Ramen

Would you consider taking 16 gallons of generator gas in plastic gas cans in trade so I don't have to try to pour it in my car (it's not easy to do). lol

191Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/26/2012, 11:58 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

hallmarkgrad wrote:I dont eat stuff like that. It is for emergencies.

It's funny you should say that. All my preps are stuff I normally wouldn't eat. The mindset is first it lasts forever and second I won't eat it before I need it....

192Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 12:03 am

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Bad news for New Orleans, Jim Cantore is broadcasting from there. Never a good sign.

193Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 12:39 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

othershoe1030 wrote:Bad news for New Orleans, Jim Cantore is broadcasting from there. Never a good sign.
That clinches it, we're out of the woods.

194Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 8:34 am

TEOTWAWKI wrote:

It's funny you should say that. All my preps are stuff I normally wouldn't eat. The mindset is first it lasts forever and second I won't eat it before I need it....

I understand that emergency food might not be fav foods, but im told it should be foods you would eat. it should be rotated out every year. this is just my personal belief and most preppers ive heard go by this rule. including mormons and amish who are great preppers.

I think he should hold onto his prep foods for a bit longer, thers another storm just around the corner, its still in season.

this one was a dud so far and thats one of the reasons people dont leave when bad ones come along, it was so hyped up and it aint even a freaking hurricane yet this morning.

195Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 8:48 am

Chrissy8 wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

I understand that emergency food might not be fav foods, but im told it should be foods you would eat. it should be rotated out every year. this is just my personal belief and most preppers ive heard go by this rule. including mormons and amish who are great preppers.

I think he should hold onto his prep foods for a bit longer, thers another storm just around the corner, its still in season.

this one was a dud so far and thats one of the reasons people dont leave when bad ones come along, it was so hyped up and it aint even a freaking hurricane yet this morning.

Chrissy, I personally would not rotate my emergency stock just for the sake of rotation. I check the expiration dates. Some of the canned stuff has 5 year expiration. I remember my mom and dad would check on our shelter supplies and if the expiration date was at or close to expiration they would replace the items. Drinking water would be replace on a monthly basis because it becomes stale after sitting for a while.

196Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 9:05 am

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
Chrissy8 wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Chrissy, I personally would not rotate my emergency stock just for the sake of rotation. I check the expiration dates. Some of the canned stuff has 5 year expiration. I remember my mom and dad would check on our shelter supplies and if the expiration date was at or close to expiration they would replace the items. Drinking water would be replace on a monthly basis because it becomes stale after sitting for a while.

I dont just keep canned stuff in my emergency supplies. I have pastas, beans, rice, spices, etc. I dont always replace all my cans everyyear because they have a good date on em, but sometimes I do if they start to look ugly on the outside of the can, thats not appealing to me.

Getting proper nutrients from a emergency supply its important that what you are going to eat is somewhat apetizing to you. If not, you could get nauseated and throw it up.

I did not know that about water. Im going to have to look into that. Thanks

197Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 9:09 am

Sorry I was just teasing. I really like rice so as long as i can boil water I am OK. I have quite a tock of power bars and things like that from my cycling. But I remember how it was when I had a young family. Things slow down a lot when you live by yourself LOL

198Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 9:13 am

Getting proper nutrients from a emergency supply its important that what you are going to eat is somewhat apetizing to you. If not, you could get nauseated and throw it up
Very Very good point of eating what you like in a emergency. Some times you really need to go the extra step and fix something nice.

199Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 9:30 am

hallmarkgrad wrote:Getting proper nutrients from a emergency supply its important that what you are going to eat is somewhat apetizing to you. If not, you could get nauseated and throw it up
Very Very good point of eating what you like in a emergency. Some times you really need to go the extra step and fix something nice.

Yes, its a mentality thing too. A bit of comfort that will in deed give you more energy and release endorphines to help ease stress the pain of hardship.

If your living alone you should be able to have a very nice emergency supply that is built to your taste for very little.

I hate to be a harpie about emergency prepping, but I am lol

I am surprised teo has only foods in his that he doesnt really like. Thats a big no no for any serious prepper.

A good emergency supply will include carbs, protiens, fats, varieties of foods with differnt values of vitamins and minerals such as tomato sauces, canned dark leaffy veggies like spinach or turnip greens and pastas, rice, flour, yeast, canned fruit,canned meats, bulion, spices and multi vitiamins and coffee, dont forget the coffee.

and honey is great to keep as a sweetener.

ok , Ill shut up about it now... Razz

200Hurricane Isaac  - Page 8 Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/27/2012, 9:35 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Chrissy8 wrote:
hallmarkgrad wrote:Getting proper nutrients from a emergency supply its important that what you are going to eat is somewhat apetizing to you. If not, you could get nauseated and throw it up

Yes, its a mentality thing too. A bit of comfort that will in deed give you more energy and release endorphines to help ease stress the pain of hardship.

If your living alone you should be able to have a very nice emergency supply that is built to your taste for very little.

I hate to be a harpie about emergency prepping, but I am lol

I am surprised teo has only foods in his that he doesnt really like. Thats a big no no for any serious prepper.

A good emergency supply will include carbs, protiens, fats, varieties of foods with differnt values of vitamins and minerals such as tomato sauces, canned dark leaffy veggies like spinach or turnip greens and pastas, rice, flour, yeast, canned fruit,canned meats, bulion, spices and multi vitiamins and coffee, dont forget the coffee.

and honey is great to keep as a sweetener.

ok , Ill shut up about it now... Razz

I have lots of rice and beans.. I am a low carb eater but I figure that in an emergency carbs will be the fuel I need and I will be mostly eating to live not to enjoy it to much although rice and beans is a great treat sometimes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum