This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hurricane Florence

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Hurricane Florence on 9/10/2018, 10:02 pm

View user profile

2 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/11/2018, 12:29 am

September 10 is the climatological peak of the hurricane season -- and here we are.

Florence is large and powerful.  Millions are evacuating from the coastal Carolinas and Virginia, while untold inland areas will be inundated with anticipated torrential rains.  The storm could prove monstrous -- perhaps even historic -- in terms of death and destruction of people, property and livelihoods.

This should be an opportunity for President Trump to show true leadership and unite the nation around impending tragedy, but he probably just wishes Florence would go away and leave him alone to continue his rants about Hillary and the election.  I for one am not holding my breath for him to suddenly learn to be a real president during the next 48 hours, though he'll doubtless try to find a way to make himself look good on the surface of it, hurricane victims be damned.

View user profile

3 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/11/2018, 9:44 am

View user profile

4 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/11/2018, 10:55 am

Got an old girlfriend in N.C. I'm a little worried about, but she lives pretty far inland and said the house is pretty much like a bunker, so she'll probably be okay. And she actually seems to enjoy disasters... every time some place gets sacked she hops on her motorcycle and goes to look at the devastation. Still, I hope she won't get much to look at this time. After the abysmal response to Puerto Rico, and the weak one to Houston, I really don't want to see if there's anything that would make Trump step up and give a damn about something other than himself, especially while he's panic-pouting over op-eds and Woodward books. I'd hate to be relying on him for anything. Dubya royally fouled up Katrina, and Dubya had a lot more humanity and sanity than Cheeto Corleone does. The country's in bad hands, with a storm coming. I'm just hoping it won't be as bad as it looks.

View user profile

5 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/11/2018, 2:33 pm

zsomething wrote:Dubya had a lot more humanity and sanity than Cheeto Corleone does.  The country's in bad hands, with a storm coming.  I'm just hoping it won't be as bad as it looks.

I think we all hope for that, z, but it sure isn't looking any better so far. I do have to tell you the "Cheeto Corleone" appellation drew such laughs in my household, that we thanked and honored you by sharing a bag of Cheetos at Subway, where we biked for lunch this noon.

View user profile

6 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/11/2018, 4:14 pm

RealLindaL wrote:
zsomething wrote:Dubya had a lot more humanity and sanity than Cheeto Corleone does.  The country's in bad hands, with a storm coming.  I'm just hoping it won't be as bad as it looks.

I think we all hope for that, z, but it sure isn't looking any better so far.   I do have to tell you the "Cheeto Corleone" appellation drew such laughs in my household, that we thanked and honored you by sharing a bag of Cheetos at Subway, where we biked for lunch this noon.  

I am happy to be an online Cheeto salesman! Smile

View user profile

7 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/11/2018, 4:41 pm

zsomething wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

I think we all hope for that, z, but it sure isn't looking any better so far.   I do have to tell you the "Cheeto Corleone" appellation drew such laughs in my household, that we thanked and honored you by sharing a bag of Cheetos at Subway, where we biked for lunch this noon.  

I am happy to be an online Cheeto salesman!  Smile

Non-commissioned or otherwise, I presume!   Smile

View user profile

8 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/12/2018, 3:56 pm

A three hundred mile dart board. Embarassed

View user profile

9 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/12/2018, 4:37 pm

This storm is gigantic and slow moving.  

View user profile

10 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/12/2018, 5:55 pm

Dammit we are going to get a lot of rain, I suspect.

And I need a new roof. I hate getting a roof in the middle of hurricane season but I had a couple of leaks after Gordon.

View user profile

11 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/12/2018, 7:47 pm

I have yet to see even a hand grenade guess as to the track of the storm after it hits the mainland. It could curl over Georgia and Northern Florida and recharge in the Gulf, or it could hit DC......people die with dart throwing and if anybody thinks that these folks are providing detailed information.......horseshoes and darts.

View user profile

12 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/12/2018, 9:17 pm

2seaoat wrote:I have yet to see even a hand grenade guess as to the track of the storm after it hits the mainland.  It could curl over Georgia and Northern Florida and recharge in the Gulf, or it could hit DC......people die with dart throwing and if anybody thinks that these folks are providing detailed information.......horseshoes and darts.

Bob's not home right now, but thanks for trolling.

View user profile

13 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/12/2018, 9:49 pm

I don't want to make anyone angry, but that is a beautiful storm. When the news showed the view straight down into the eye it was amazing. You could just see distinct walls of water going up into the clouds.
Mother Nature can be just as beautiful as she is scary.
Only a fool would stay home with a storm like that one coming. I have a feeling that the feds are totally unprepared.
After all, they borrowed money from FEMA right at the beginning of hurricane season to finance the "relocation" of those 3000 kids away from the Mexican border. Great job there, Donald.

Very happy this one isn't in the Gulf. All anyone can do for those folks up there right now is hope they are able to get out of the way. I think this one will go down in history.

View user profile

14 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/13/2018, 4:19 am

After all, they borrowed money from FEMA right at the beginning of hurricane season

A thirty billion dollar fund moves approximately ten million dollars......that would be like taking ten dollars from a three thousand dollar tax refund and thinking you busted the bank.  Rachel Maddow spent about ten minutes of air time trying to blow this thing up when anybody who is fair minded would simply look at the percentages and figure it out......that is why I cancelled MSNBC which I watched at the hotel for two days......she is the definition of why the Democratic Party will never prevail when they remain neck deep in Hubris.

Bob has been following the hurricane path since it was a butterfly's tailwind in Africa.

View user profile

15 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/13/2018, 12:37 pm

Bob steered it away.

View user profile

16 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/13/2018, 12:58 pm

I think that November will tell whether the Democrats prevail Seaoat. And just a by the way, Hillary did get 3 million more votes than POTUS, so saying they cannot prevail is bunk. They also got over a million more votes nationally in the total house races, but ended up far down in the count because of gerrymandering of districts.
It's not because of Rachel Maddow or hubris. It's because of the electoral college, gerrymandering of districts, and even possibly Russian interference.
There are still more Dems in America then Republicans. Republicans win because they cheat.

And regardless of the percentage, 10 million dollars would buy a lot of bottles of water after a hurricane for disaster victims. Money from FEMA should not have been used for border issues.

Let's wait and see what a "good job" Donald does after this hurricane. If it doesn't land firmly down on the top of some of his properties, I'll guarantee you that he really won't give a damn.

View user profile

17 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/13/2018, 1:01 pm

Historically speaking the dems should pick up significant seats in November. If they don't take the house and Senate it's a huge upset.

View user profile

18 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/13/2018, 1:16 pm

PkrBum wrote:Historically speaking the dems should pick up significant seats in November. If they don't take the house and Senate it's a huge upset.

Off topic of the thread but indications presently favor the Dems according to polls (f that even means anything). Here in TN Marcia Blackburn is running even with Bredesan for Bob Corker's seat and yes I have a Bredesan sign in my yard to the dismay of some neighbors (love it). Florida could be a problem but god only know why Rick Scott would win over Bill Nelson. The House will flip I do believe . . . .

View user profile

19 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/13/2018, 3:17 pm

We are flooded for the third time this year, people in PR still have not recovered, California is burning, and the Carolinas are about to taste what their politicians at the bequest of the coal industry called climate hoax......yep.....

View user profile

20 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/13/2018, 3:23 pm

There have been fewer major hurricanes in the last fifty years than the previous fifty years.

Try to calm yourself.

View user profile

21 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/14/2018, 5:30 am

They got very little right on the forecasting......thankfully it was a cat 1 after listening for a week about a cat 4 with twenty foot surge.......darts. How many people will die when the big one hits and nobody believes the dart throwers?

View user profile

22 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/14/2018, 12:27 pm

2seaoat wrote:They got very little right on the forecasting......thankfully it was a cat 1 after listening for a week about a cat 4 with twenty foot surge.......darts.  How many people will die when the big one hits and nobody believes the dart throwers?

It was a Cat 4 moving very slow. It weakened as outer bands started hitting the coastline. The hurricane hit where it was forecasted to hit. The rain and flooding was devastating to the coastal areas and along rivers.... Bob would have approved of the reported forecast. Glad the wind speed decreased before hitting land.

View user profile

23 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/14/2018, 1:10 pm

Bob would have been stomping around looking for that imaginary first settlement that he said trumped Pensacola's claim to be the first settlement, but like the dart throwers he probably would be looking in New Mexico......you see people telling you 140 mph winds which turned out to be in the seventy to ninety MPH winds cat 1......this was not even close to an accurate forecast. Where were the 20 foot storm surge which I heard about for four days.

It is hilarious to see these weather people standing in a puddle and being blown around a little telling people how dangerous it is as multiple cars drive by and people are walking along the street. The media is blowing up these events which are compounded by the dart board uncertainty, but the rain.....you do not have to be a hurricane expert to know that flooding is a given. They missed the level of the winds and the level of the storm surges, and to now say that this was anything different than the usual dart throwing, except Bob is not here.....probably a restless spirit looking for that imaginary first city of the Spanish exploration of Florida and the Carolinas........but again looking in the wrong place.

View user profile

24 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/14/2018, 3:18 pm

96 hours out in the prediction an actual landfall was within 2 miles . Great job.

View user profile

25 Re: Hurricane Florence on 9/14/2018, 3:20 pm

The media sensationalizes everything. It's entertainment for them not news.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum