Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hurricane Isaac

+13
TEOTWAWKI
SheSurfs
no stress
Joanimaroni
NaNook
Nekochan
othershoe1030
Lisa12
ZVUGKTUBM
Yella
PBulldog2
gulfbeachbandit
Hospital Bob
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

1Hurricane Isaac  Empty Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 8:47 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Hurricane Isaac  Hurric11

Last edited by Bob on 8/25/2012, 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

2Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 8:55 am

Change your drawers.

Get a grip on it, man!

3Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 9:19 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yomama wrote:Change your drawers.

Get a grip on it, man!
Actually I lied to get your attention. My pants are still dry. lol
If you extend that line out to where it meets the coast, right now the center line of the forecast puts it into Okaloosa Bay.
What we need to hope for is that after the next couple of forecasts, the new forecast will shift the center line slightly westward and put Pensacola right in the bullseye.

Here's why that would be good news. When the center track forecast is that far out in time, NEVER has the NHC been that accurate. So it will almost guarantee us that we aint gonna be in the bullseye next week when the center crosses land.
This is probably going to be no more than a cat 2 hurricane if/when it makes landfall on the northern gulf coast. So if the center comes in to the west of Mobile Bay or to the east of Navarre, we gonna be AOK with a cat 2 hurricane.

Of course all that only applies if you don't live on the water (which most of us don't). If you live on the water you're in a different situation and I can't predict anything for that. Which is why I don't live on the water.

4Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 9:24 am

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

It's only wind and water.
To help prepare for a hurricane, take a bath with your portable fan.
It gets you used to being wet in the wind.

Why do I have to think of every thing?

5Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 9:24 am

Bob wrote:
Yomama wrote:Change your drawers.

Get a grip on it, man!
So if the center comes in to the west of Mobile Bay or to the east of Navarre, we gonna be AOK with a cat 2 hurricane.

East of Navarre would be better but not looking forward to it hitting anywhere....My insurance rates are high enough now and that would just be another weak excuse for insurance companies to jack rates up again. In spite of record profits for my ins. company anyway.

6Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 9:38 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

nochain wrote:

East of Navarre would be better but not looking forward to it hitting anywhere....My insurance rates are high enough now and that would just be another weak excuse for insurance companies to jack rates up again. In spite of record profits for my ins. company anyway.
As you can see, I have an oddball method of hurricane forecasting. And I also have an oddball take on hurricane insurance.

My house was built in 1955 and it has never received any damage from cyclone winds except for Ivan. And all Ivan did is take off some shingles.
So five years ago, when the insurance companies started to really jack up the rates, I dropped "wind" coverage. I did so because that made my annual premium go from $1900 to about $500 (where it has stayed until now).
My thinking is that the most likely scenario I will ever face is needing a roof job. That costs about five grand for my house.
So far my strategy has paid off. I've saved $7000 in insurance premiums already (more than enough to pay for a new roof).

Yes, there is a possibility that I could get wiped out by a tornado or category 5 hurricane winds. But the odds on that are so slim that I'm not willing to bet on odds that high (which is what I would be doing if I buy wind insurance). It's like this. If I was going to play those odds, then I would be buying $1400 worth of lotto tickets ever year and playing those odds too.
I don't like sucker bets.

I emphasize again that this only applies to those of us living on high ground and only facing wind damage and not water damage.
If you live on the water, all bets are off.

7Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 9:56 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

I may have to drop wind coverage next year. I am so weary of being stressed to the max about insurance premiums. Mine was $3500.00 this year, and I don't live near the water. I live on a flippin' hill, for gosh sakes.

Ivan ripped off all my shingles, but you're right, Bob....I could buy a new roof with what I've spent on insurance premiums for the last three years.

8Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 10:36 am

Bob can tell you that our P'cola house has an unobstructed view to the South and I'm a couple of miles off the coast. We didn't lose a shingle during Ivan!

Of course, we had a new roof put on (dimensional, 30-year) about 18 months before... just long enough for the sealing tabs to heat up, melt and lock 'em together.

Lost a big pine tree, but there's no love lost for a pine tree. No insurance claim. Dadgum insurance company cancelled us anyway. Apparently, we're in a zip code they don't like. Twisted Evil

9Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 10:45 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I have no idea how hard or easy it is to request a homeowner's policy without wind coverage. I just lucked into it.
The insurance company which had insured my house for decades (even with the previous owner), Cincinatti Insurance Co, sent me a notice saying they would no longer continue a policy on it which included wind coverage. They themselves offered to sell me the policy without wind coverage.
It never really occured to me to accept that (because I was brainwashed like we all are into believing we ALWAYS need hurricane insurance). I immediately went looking for a different company. But nobody would insure a house as old as mine (even though it's a brick house and had withstood all those hurricanes).
My only option was to go to Citizens which at the time would have cost $1900.
So that's when I weighed my options, thought about the risk, and decided to go without wind insurance.
As far as I'm concerned, Cincinatti Insurance Co did me the best favor they could have ever done. Because I would have never even known you could have a policy like that otherwise.
But I don't know what happens when the policy holder is the one trying to cancel wind coverage.

10Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 11:06 am

Bob, without wind coverage, if you have any damage, they'll just want to say "so solly".

11Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 11:22 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yomama wrote:Bob, without wind coverage, if you have any damage, they'll just want to say "so solly".
But the deductible would be so high that they would probably be saying "so solly" anyway. lol

By the way, the 10AM forecast now has us almost dead in the center of the bullseye...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0912W5_NL+gif/145525W5_NL_sm.gif

That's what I was hoping for.

12Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 11:41 am

Yella

Yella

Bob wrote:
Yomama wrote:Bob, without wind coverage, if you have any damage, they'll just want to say "so solly".
But the deductible would be so high that they would probably be saying "so solly" anyway. lol

By the way, the 10AM forecast now has us almost dead in the center of the bullseye...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0912W5_NL+gif/145525W5_NL_sm.gif

That's what I was hoping for.

That damn thing is gonna curve right slap into the Republican Partying Convention and will add more hot air to what will be generating there by the R's.

Or the hot air being farted into the atmosphere by the R's could be so hot it repels Isaac toward us. Maybe Jeff Miller will use his powers and divert it somewhere else.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

13Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 11:50 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Hell looks like I'm so retarded that I replied to a post I accidentally deleted when I edited it. So the other post don't make no sense.

I tell you what, if any of you goobers are dumb enough to take hurricane or insurance advice from an idiot like me, then how on earth do you even post here because it's a miracle you can even read or write.

14Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 12:36 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

My wife is already bouncing off the walls and has our property already destroyed (even though we made it through Ivan and don't live near the water). I told her to quit with the PTSD fits. She told me "PTSD" stands for "Post" traumatic stress disorder. I told her she was having "pre"-traumatic stress disorder.

Yes there is a lot to do to get ready for a storm, but overstressing about it a week before it hits isn't one of them. The actual odds of it striking Pensacola are quite small.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

15Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 12:49 pm

It's gonna hit the ballpark..

16Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 12:54 pm

Lurch wrote:It's gonna hit the ballpark..

impossible... that wasn't on the ballot.

17Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 1:11 pm

If it keeps going toward P'cola, I'll put up the plywood. I have studs sticking out of the brick, predrilled and numbered plywood sheets... but MAN, they're heavy!

I wish I had those kind that you could push a button on and they roll down...

18Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 2:17 pm

Lisa12

I wonder if they will have to dismantle the observation wheel on the beach?

19Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 2:36 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

That's a great question. I wonder about it too.

20Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 3:02 pm

I dont know why yall are pissing your pants that much. just about every model has it hitting me. Isnt someone going to prepare a party for that?

21Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 3:05 pm

Hurricane Isaac  At201213

22Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 3:43 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I walked around the studerville shortly after daybreak this morning. Looks to me like that thing is about 8 feet above whatever level of tide there was then.
And another 4-6 feet up to the lid of the stadium where the water would spill onto the field.
So chances are it's high enough. At least they had enough sense to elevate the baseball stadium.

23Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 3:45 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

It's been considerably cooler here in Huntsville over the past week than it was just a couple of weeks ago. The evenings here feel like late Sept/early Oct. I have a bad feeling that we're going to have a cold winter.
Y'all stay safe down there. At least you know it's coming and can be ready unlike up here with the damn tornadoes.

24Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 3:51 pm

NaNook

NaNook

Go to , magicseaweed.com for the real info. I dropped wind 6 years ago and invested the savings.

The problem is people who have a mortgage. Guess what, banks set the risk, insurance companies pass along the costs. In other words, the banks, insurance companies, both make money off of your Required insurance.

Are you feeling the LOVE?

25Hurricane Isaac  Empty Re: Hurricane Isaac 8/23/2012, 4:16 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

NaNook wrote:Go to , magicseaweed.com for the real info. I dropped wind 6 years ago and invested the savings.

The problem is people who have a mortgage
. Guess what, banks set the risk, insurance companies pass along the costs. In other words, the banks, insurance companies, both make money off of your Required insurance.

Are you feeling the LOVE?
Forgot about that NaNook. Those rascals won't cut you a break.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 10]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum