Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Unprecedented stuff happening on this NBA presser right now

+8
TEOTWAWKI
Markle
knothead
Sal
Joanimaroni
Hospital Bob
QueenOfHearts
boards of FL
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

boards of FL

boards of FL

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Pretty simple what it is...
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." Amendment 1 of the Bill Of Rights

Yes. Gunz disagrees with that definition. Do you?

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:I'm sure this will prove me to be a bad racist.

But I have listened a couple times to the whole audio recording unedited.
And what I pick up from Sterling is not so much racism as something else.
I think what we're hearing on that tape is his mistress being seen in public with a bigshot sex symbol sports celebrity.  I think this is more jealousy than racism.
It would be common knowledge in Sterling's circles that he has this mistress.  Hell his wife was already suing the girl to get back the $150,000 in crap he gave her.  
It's pretty simple.  Sterling's had his manhood and his ego (probably as big as a barn) stepped on.  Whenever she's seen in public with Magic Johnson, Sterling doesn't want people to laugh at him over it.  And yes Sterling's past history on race stuff has some problems in it.  
I think what you hear on the recording would be the same thing if the mistress was seen with a bigtime white NBA legend.  Except race wouldn't be a part of it.  Sterling was all riled and the prejudice came out in a moment of anger.  But this is not really about race.  It's mostly a dick measuring contest.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Sterling#Accusations_of_discrimination

In August 2006, the U.S. Department of Justice sued Sterling for housing discrimination in using race as a factor in filling some of his apartment buildings. The suit charged that Sterling refused to rent to non-Koreans in the Koreatown neighborhood and to African Americans in Beverly Hills.[29] The suit alleges Sterling once said he did not like to rent to Hispanics because they "smoke, drink and just hang around the building," and that "Black tenants smell and attract vermin."[29] In November 2009, ESPN reported that Sterling agreed to pay a fine of $2.73 million to settle claims brought by the Justice Department and Davin Day of Newport Beach that he engaged in discriminatory rental practices against Hispanics, blacks, and families with children.[30] In addition, Sterling was also ordered to pay attorneys' fees and costs in that action of $4,923,554.75. In granting the attorney's fees and costs Judge Dale S. Fischer noted "Sterling's' scorched earth' litigation tactics, some of which are described by the Plaintiffs' counsel and some of which were observed by the Court. The Court has no difficulty accepting Plaintiffs' counsel's representations that the time required to be spent on this case was increased by defendant's counsel's often unacceptable, and sometimes outrageous conduct."

In February 2009, Sterling was sued by former longtime Clippers executive Elgin Baylor for employment discrimination on the basis of age and race.[31] The lawsuit alleges Sterling told Baylor that he wanted to fill his team with "poor black boys from the South and a white head coach".[29] The suit alleges that during negotiations for Danny Manning, Sterling said "I'm offering a lot of money for a poor black kid."[29][32] The suit noted those comments while alleging "the Caucasian head coach was given a four-year, $22-million contract", but Baylor's salary had "been frozen at a comparatively paltry $350,000 since 2003".[31]

boards of FL wrote:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." Amendment 1 of the Bill Of Rights

Yes. Gunz disagrees with that definition. Do you?

The govt of today violates most of those daily.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Yes.  Gunz disagrees with that definition.  Do you?

The govt of today violates most of those daily.

Do you understand the concept of freedom of speech? Gunz obviously doesn't. Teo doesn't appear to. Help us out here. Can one conclude anything about freedom of speech based upon this story?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I think what we're hearing on that tape is his mistress being seen in public with a bigshot sex symbol sports celebrity.  I think this is more jealousy than racism.
It would be common knowledge in Sterling's circles that he has this mistress.  Hell his wife was already suing the girl to get back the $150,000 in crap he gave her.  
It's pretty simple.  Sterling's had his manhood and his ego (probably as big as a barn) stepped on.  Whenever she's seen in public with Magic Johnson, Sterling doesn't want people to laugh at him over it.  And yes Sterling's past history on race stuff has some problems in it.  
I think what you hear on the recording would be the same thing if the mistress was seen with a bigtime white NBA legend.  Except race wouldn't be a part of it.  Sterling was all riled and the prejudice came out in a moment of anger.  But this is not really about race.  It's mostly a dick measuring contest.  

I agree Bob, I don't like what he said But....we are listening to a partial conversation, a conversation that did not start with hello. I really believe he was coerced while drunk. I find it extremely convinient that his gold digger girlfriend had a witness to their personnel argument. Now sometimes coincidences occur, but a multimillionaire dollar deal on the line, no way. It was a planned encounter.

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Joanimaroni wrote:

I agree Bob, I don't like what he said But....we are listening to a partial conversation,  a conversation that did not start with hello.  I really believe he was coerced while drunk. I find it extremely convinient that his gold digger girlfriend had a witness to their personnel argument. Now sometimes coincidences occur, but a multimillionaire dollar deal on the line, no way. It was a planned encounter.

Or maybe he says stuff like this all the time, and she just decided to tape it this time.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

QueenOfHearts wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

I agree Bob, I don't like what he said But....we are listening to a partial conversation,  a conversation that did not start with hello.  I really believe he was coerced while drunk. I find it extremely convinient that his gold digger girlfriend had a witness to their personnel argument. Now sometimes coincidences occur, but a multimillionaire dollar deal on the line, no way. It was a planned encounter.

Or maybe he says stuff like this all the time, and she just decided to tape it this time.

Probably, she most likely knew what to say to trigger his response in a private conversation.

I thought it was illegal to tape someone without their knowledge.

Not if you are a "Racist".. Any talk that disparages another race is open to maximum penalty's under the laws of the self righteous.. Gee-zus likes it that way...Friends dont let friends talk about Blacks.

boards of FL

boards of FL

It's amazing that anyone would defend this guy.  Even by any stretch of the imagination.  This guy is a known slumlord who has paid millions of dollars of fines due to his racial discrimination.  Then there are his past comments regarding non-white tenants.  Then there are his past comments regarding non-white employees.  Then there is this audio recording which - as clearly as it can possibly show us -depicts Sterling ranting about how embarrassing it is to be seen or associated with black people.

Then again, he could just be a nice guy who - for some inexplicable reason - can't help but go on racist rants any time some "trigger phrase" is uttered in his presence.  Seems perfectly rational, particularly in the face of the mountain of evidence to the contrary.

boards of FL wrote:It's amazing that anyone would defend this guy.  Even by any stretch of the imagination.  This guy is a known slumlord who has paid millions of dollars of fines due to his racial discrimination.  Then there are his past comments regarding non-white tenants.  Then there are his past comments regarding non-white employees.  Then there is this audio recording which - as clearly as it can possibly show us -depicts Sterling ranting about how embarrassing it is to be seen or associated with black people.

Then again, he could just be a nice guy who - for some inexplicable reason - can't help but go on racist rants any time some "trigger phrase" is uttered in his presence.  Seems perfectly rational, particularly in the face of the mountain of evidence to the contrary.

So you are ok with having your private conversations tapped? And you think its ok that just anyone can secretly record a conversation you have in private and make it public?

This guy is a known slumlord who has paid millions of dollars of fines due to his racial discrimination

Was this fact known to his employees? Did any of them ever take a stand and refuse to play or return monies given to them based on their moral convictions? Or was it a Whore with a heart of gold the only one able to take on Mr Sterling and bring him to justice for his sins?

boards of FL

boards of FL

So you are ok with having your private conversations tapped? And you think its ok that just anyone can secretly record a conversation you have in private and make it public?

Show me what you read in my comment that translates to "I think it is OK to secretly record people" in your mind.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Mr Ichi wrote:Was this fact known to his employees?

I have no idea as to whether or not his employees knew he was a racist asshole or not. And whether they did or they didn't, that wouldn't change the fact that the guy is a racist asshole, would it?

You agree that Sterling is a racist asshole, correct?

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Joanimaroni wrote:
QueenOfHearts wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

Probably, she most likely knew what to say to trigger his response in a private conversation.

I don't know if that is true in all states though. I haven't seen "the story" on the taping -- is anyone claiming who taped it, whether it would done without his knowledge, etc.?

Of course. It would also mean I would not work for the said Ass Hole. A quality some seem not to have. Just sayin. I guess it is a personal thing....

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

He's obviously a scumbag.  That wasn't my point.
I just hear that taped conversation revealing something other than racism.
Yes he has racism going for him too.  But the other is being overlooked.  He just didn't want his mistress being seen with a big shot celebrity who's claimed to have slept with "1000" women.  Makes Sterling's dick look smaller. And makes it look like he chose some slut for his mistress. lol

Last edited by Bob on 4/30/2014, 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

boards of FL wrote:

Show me what you read in my comment that translates to "I think it is OK to secretly record people" in your mind.

You didn't say it "out right".

I defend freedom of speech and the right to privacy.

I think it is absurd to try and make it illegal to be racist. which is the direction this whole fiasco is taking.

A person should be able to harbor any ill thoughts of anyone they wish. BUT they should not cause that person harm, such as not hiring them, firing them etc.

If this man is racist, this is the kind you want. He not only hired minorities, he is sleeping with them and is one of the largest cash contributors to their cause. Hence, humanitarian of the year award soon to have been his.

This man was clearly not happy that his girlfriend was sleeping around, and being 80 probably isn't as PC as you lefties would like him to be. But he has done a lot of good things for minorities. More than anyone here ever has.

So yes, ill defend him. Ill defend him not because of what he thinks, but what he has done. Because actions speak louder than words.

Sal

Sal

Well, the girlfriend claims that she has 100s of hours of conversations recorded, because he requested they be recorded, because he has a poor memory.

I don't know if that's true, but how the recording became public is really irrelevant.

It did become public, and created an immediate crisis for the organization.

There was simply no way he could continue as owner under those conditions.

They were losing all their sponsors, the players and fans were going to boycott, and there was no prospect for future success with him at the helm.

He had to go.

It was a simple business decision.

Again, free speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:It's amazing that anyone would defend this guy.  Even by any stretch of the imagination.  This guy is a known slumlord who has paid millions of dollars of fines due to his racial discrimination.  Then there are his past comments regarding non-white tenants.  Then there are his past comments regarding non-white employees.  Then there is this audio recording which - as clearly as it can possibly show us -depicts Sterling ranting about how embarrassing it is to be seen or associated with black people.

I'm not defending him or his comments.
...he is a jerk. But I still think he was set up for a specific reason. Why else would the golddigger tape his conversation and have a witness handy. Many news sources, while condeming his comments, admitted she "egged him on.

Many people when drunk and upset don't keep their comments in check during a " private" conversation.

Sal wrote:Well, the girlfriend claims that she has 100s of hours of conversations recorded, because he requested they be recorded, because he has a poor memory.

I don't know if that's true, but how the recording became public is really irrelevant.

It did become public, and created an immediate crisis for the organization.

There was simply no way he could continue as owner under those conditions.

They were losing all their sponsors, the players and fans were going to boycott, and there was no prospect for future success with him at the helm.

He had to go.

It was a simple business decision.

Again, free speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

actually the whole damn thing is irrelevant.

He's allowed to have a opinion, and yes there are consequences to a opinion. I do not think his PRIVATE conversation should be made public though. This is why we have illegal wire tapping laws.

either way you can say what you want about this man, he did good things for minorities. I bet that ends.

Oh and while we are at it, it seems only racism that people get so in a frenzy about is when its against blacks. Must be a "trained" bulldog mentality where only the target, ( white man ) is important to bring it up.

At the end of the day, I am personally sick of the race baiting, racial excuses, blah blah blah you cant have a opinion attacks on people. especially when they are doing the right things such as spending millions( OG THIER OWN MONEY) on minorities to help them, hiring them not firing them.

This whole thing is a crock of shit.

You people are attacking a 80 year old man for his opinion in a conversation to his hooker gf, and this man has done a whole lot of good for minorities.

its stupid really. really really stupid.

Joanimaroni wrote:
QueenOfHearts wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

Depends on what state you're in. It's illegal in Fl. but not in Al.

2seaoat

He's allowed to have a opinion, and yes there are consequences to a opinion. I do not think his PRIVATE conversation should be made public though. This is why we have illegal wire tapping laws.

The Supreme Court has made it very clear for fifty plus years that the fruit of the poisonous tree cannot be used by the GOVERNMENT where the government's actions violated the the 4th amendment. An individual action which brings evidence of a wrongdoing where that evidence would otherwise be poisoned by the acts of the government are in fact admissible. So an association with strict bylaws which govern harm created by any individual or corporation in that association, can easily use that evidence to make a determination that he cannot be in that association. Sterling can sue, and he will, but ultimately he will simply be trying to leverage for more millions on the transfer of the franchise.

I think that I would pursue a much different line of attack than the NBA commissioner has recommended. I would do what they did to the MN franchise and take all draft choices away for 10 years. I would also allow a new rule to be implemented in the NBA that teams could sit their stars and starting lineup when playing the Clippers for a period of 10 years. Once you set this course, the probation would be in full force and effect until an arms length sale was negotiated. What works in this situation is with time instead of profiting, he would lose all his sponsors and fan base and hit him where he understands.....his pocketbook. Although I like the justice of the NBA approach, they are going to actually reward his bad behavior without a second prong.

2seaoat wrote:He's allowed to have a opinion, and yes there are consequences to a opinion. I do not think his PRIVATE conversation should be made public though. This is why we have illegal wire tapping laws.

The Supreme Court has made it very clear for fifty plus years that the fruit of the poisonous tree cannot be used by the GOVERNMENT where the government's actions violated the the 4th amendment.  An individual action which brings evidence of a wrongdoing where that evidence would otherwise be poisoned by the acts of the government are in fact admissible.  So an association with strict bylaws which govern harm created by any individual or corporation in that association, can easily use that evidence to make a determination that he cannot be in that association.  Sterling can sue, and he will, but ultimately he will simply be trying to leverage for more millions on the transfer of the franchise.

I think that I would pursue a much different line of attack than the NBA commissioner has recommended.  I would do what they did to the MN franchise and take all draft choices away for 10 years.   I would also allow a new rule to be implemented in the NBA that teams could sit their stars and starting lineup when playing the Clippers for a period of 10 years.  Once you set this course, the probation would be in full force and effect until an arms length sale was negotiated.  What works in this situation is with time instead of profiting, he would lose all his sponsors and fan base and hit him where he understands.....his pocketbook.   Although I like the justice of the NBA approach, they are going to actually reward his bad behavior without a second prong.

I don't care about the sports. What I care about is a person being able to have a private opinion, even if I don't like it.

We are verging very close to the "thought police" sanctions. You don't need to commit a crime or break a law, you just need to think something we don't agree with and BAM, you're fucked!

Last edited by :) on 4/30/2014, 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Smile
2seaoat wrote:He's allowed to have a opinion, and yes there are consequences to a opinion. I do not think his PRIVATE conversation should be made public though. This is why we have illegal wire tapping laws.

The Supreme Court has made it very clear for fifty plus years that the fruit of the poisonous tree cannot be used by the GOVERNMENT where the government's actions violated the the 4th amendment.  An individual action which brings evidence of a wrongdoing where that evidence would otherwise be poisoned by the acts of the government are in fact admissible.  So an association with strict bylaws which govern harm created by any individual or corporation in that association, can easily use that evidence to make a determination that he cannot be in that association.  Sterling can sue, and he will, but ultimately he will simply be trying to leverage for more millions on the transfer of the franchise.

I think that I would pursue a much different line of attack than the NBA commissioner has recommended.  I would do what they did to the MN franchise and take all draft choices away for 10 years.   I would also allow a new rule to be implemented in the NBA that teams could sit their stars and starting lineup when playing the Clippers for a period of 10 years.  Once you set this course, the probation would be in full force and effect until an arms length sale was negotiated.  What works in this situation is with time instead of profiting, he would lose all his sponsors and fan base and hit him where he understands.....his pocketbook.   Although I like the justice of the NBA approach, they are going to actually reward his bad behavior without a second prong.

I don't care about the sports. What I care about is a person being able to have a private opinion, even if I don't like it.

We are verging very lose to the "thought police" sanctions. You don't need to commit a crime or break a law, you just need to think something we don't agree with and BAM, you're fucked!

cheers cheers cheers Basketball Basketball Basketball  Well said!! Thanks

2seaoat

We are verging very close to the "thought police" sanctions. You don't need to commit a crime or break a law, you just need to think something we don't agree with and BAM, you're fucked!

You have never been near the corporate world. The corporate climate of employment allows continual review under well designated expectations of performance. So if a representative of ABC company while talking to potential customers sticks to their opinion which is contrary to the corporate brand, and as a result potentially brings harm to that brand......in a NY second that person would be gone. In my business if an employee is hurting my business climate by their opinions......they are gone.....they are at will employees, and this idea that the individual in an association is superior to the overall good of that organization has NEVER existed in the corporate world.....NEVER.

There is no law that being an ignorant racist hater is going to exact some kind of punishment, unless the same attitude is contrary to an organizations branding and policies, that hater can do his thing. So if a teacher after school is arguing with another teacher why he cannot have sex with his students, and how hot he thinks Charlene is.....he has a right to his opinion. However, once he has stated his opinion and a third party verifies the same in public......what do you think we should do with that teacher?
Do you think an at will teacher or a teacher with a morals clause in the union contract would not be facing sanctions? The truth of your and Hallmarks argument is that there is nothing wrong with making racist comments in your opinion......and if both of you can belong to the child sex league where your philosophy is that every child should have sex with an adult of the opposite sex by their 13th birthday......you know like ancient polyonesian societies......you have a right to your opinion, but when you cannot even get your arms around the damage of the same.....I guess I could understand where you are coming from with your defense of evil.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum