Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Every word in the bible is true. Yeah, sure it is.

+5
cool1
VectorMan
Hospital Bob
Joanimaroni
Wordslinger
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

boards of FL

boards of FL

colaguy wrote:
Bob wrote:
colaguy wrote:
Bob wrote:
SheWrites wrote:

So, are humans inherently good or inherently evil?  Does that come one size fits all and then we change or is it inherent that we are good or evil at our base?  

Trying to apply the concept "is it good or is it evil" to human nature,  is like trying to apply it to anything in nature.  Nature is neither good nor is it evil,  it just is what it is.  And you cannot make a distinction between humans and nature.  We're a part of nature just like everything else.

Balderdash!

It is in the snake's nature is to strike the mouse and eat it. It is in the snail's nature is not to strike the mouse.  Humans have the power to reason - we can kill the mouse to eat it; we can kill our brother-in-law to eat him; we can chose to kill anything we see; we can chose NOT to kill anything. There are different "laws" at work here: the laws of nature are not subject to "morality". If gravity causes a boulder to fall off a cliff and strike a den of baby foxes, it is what it is - no evil going on.  The "laws" of humans, whether you call it morality, or God's laws, are such that there are consequences for our actions. We can purposefully cause the boulder to roll off the cliff onto the den of baby foxes and that is wrong or evil.  We have the POWER to decide to do it or not. If we do it, we cheapen ourselves by breaking the "laws" of humans.

Sorry to go all philosophical... I didnt study religion or philosophy.  It's just what's accumulated in my brain over the years.

No it's not balderdash.
And human "morality" is just as much a part of nature as anything else.
You can't separate anything human from nature.  We are part and parcel of nature.  How we behave,  the ideas we conceive,  all of it is part of nature.
Nature is the totality of everything in existence and we are simply a part of all that.

Poppycock!

Certainly we can determine what humans do (and refrain from doing).  It's possible for a guy to f@@k his sister, mother, brother, or a sheep, but is it moral? Humans have the capacity to make choices - nature cannot. Nature's laws have been established (you may chose by whatever means), and they are inviolable. Rocks obey the law of gravity, they don't float in the air.  Elephants procreate with elephants, not zebras.  A corn seed does not sprout into a brocolli plant.

Your understanding of nature and reality is roughly on par with Bill O'Reilly's.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:

BILL O'REILLY:  "the tide goes in and the tide goes out and since you can't explain that it's the proof that a god in a book exists".

It hurts my brain to try to comprehend how this blather is the most watched thing on cable news tv. It's a sad commentary on the state of humanity.

Wow...it's hard to stay on track around here.  Laughing 

I'm not saying slavery was only happening in the OT...NT and right on until today. In fact, I'm really not addressing the issue. The issue is evil/good - where does it come from - is it learned - is it ours to manage or do we need guidelines.

Also, I guess "polar opposites" threw someone. Figurative...

If not good/evil...what then? That was the question. Someone said why call it good or evil. Suggestion?

If the argument there is no good and there is no evil...then someone is not living in the world I'm living in.

Like a pinball machine...  Laughing Laughing Laughing 

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

BOB ON PDF FORUM:  "The tide goes in and the tide goes out and no religious book throughout antiquity has ever explained that.  In fact,  at the time every religious book throughout antiquity was written,  the authors had no clue that ocean tides result from the gravitational attraction of the sun and moon on the oceans of the earth.  That was discovered by Sir Isaac Newton in 1687 and the discovery was made completely apart from anything to do with any religious book which had ever been written."

So you are inferring that if the Bible were true all the answers would have been there from the beginning?  Could be a divine creator didn't reveal the answer until Mr. Newton figured it out?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:So you are inferring that if the Bible were true all the answers would have been there from the beginning?  Could be a divine creator didn't reveal the answer until Mr. Newton figured it out?

I wasn't the one who got in a "no-spin zone" to set up such a ridiculous, nonsensical premise as Bill O'Reilly did in that interview. I was only providing the obvious response to it, which is what that spokesperson for atheism failed to do.

Unlike Bill O'Reilly, my mind has no capacity whatever to make any claims (or inferences) in attempt to describe or explain the nature of our existence.
That capacity may belong to Bill O'Reilly but not to me.

boards of FL

boards of FL

SheWrites wrote:So you are inferring that if the Bible were true all the answers would have been there from the beginning?  Could be a divine creator didn't reveal the answer until Mr. Newton figured it out?

Ho...ly...shit...

Yella

Yella

The Ten Commandants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TAtRCJIqnk

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

boards of FL wrote:

Ho...ly...shit...

Just tossing out possibilities and continuing the discussion. No conclusions yet.

Or was that statement an "a ha!" moment.  Razz 

Bob wrote:

I wasn't the one who got in a "no-spin zone" to set up such a ridiculous, nonsensical premise as Bill O'Reilly did in that interview.  I was only providing the obvious response to it,  which is what that spokesperson for atheism failed to do.  

Unlike Bill O'Reilly,  my mind has no capacity whatever to make any claims (or inferences) in attempt to describe or explain the nature of our existence.
That capacity may belong to Bill O'Reilly but not to me.

I don't watch Bill O'Reilly.

Really, your mind has no capacity to make claims or inferences to explain our existence? You're satisfied that you exist and that's enough?

Interesting.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:

Really, your mind has no capacity to make claims or inferences to explain our existence?  You're satisfied that you exist and that's enough?

Interesting.  

Firstly, being a regular viewer of O'Reilly's television program is not required for this discussion. All that's pertinent here is to watch the short video clip boards linked.

Yes, I'm weird that way. I have no clue about why there is existence. I realize that most people have all that figured out. But unfortunately when they were passing out brains, I got one without that capacity. lol

Bob wrote:
SheWrites wrote:

Really, your mind has no capacity to make claims or inferences to explain our existence?  You're satisfied that you exist and that's enough?

Interesting.  

Firstly,  being a regular viewer of O'Reilly's television program is not required for this discussion.  All that's pertinent here is to watch the short video clip boards linked.

Yes,  I'm weird that way.  I have no clue about why there is existence.  I realize that most people have all that figured out.  But unfortunately when they were passing out brains,  I got one without that capacity.  lol

Well, they say the first step is recognizing the problem.  Laughing 

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I'm open-minded. So if anyone wants to try to explain the nature of existence to me I welcome that with great enthusiasm.

A good first step is to explain to me what created God? Why is God in existence? Where does he come from?
Or if you want to take the "science" path, you can begin by explaining what was in existence before "The Big Bang".

I do not know the answer to that question and it neither makes me right or wrong about what I believe.

Very Happy 

And by the way, remember, I don't push what I believe on anyone. But the questions are great.

Where did God come from?

I think some belief systems have answers to that question.

But if you don't believe in God why worry where he came from?

Again...does not prove or disprove a thing.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Beliefs can be great. I have beliefs too. But you gotta be careful with beliefs.
They aren't always in our best interest and thousands of years of civilization is the evidence of that.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Don't forget, what you "believe" was predicated on where you happened to be born.
If you had been born in an Islamic society, you likely would have Islamic beliefs.
If you had been born in Japan, you would have a different set of beliefs. Born in India, yet another set of beliefs.

A valid point.

But an independent, fundamental, KJV believing only missionary would come to bring me the good news.

Laughing Sorry...no offense to anyone.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:A valid point.

But an independent, fundamental, KJV believing only missionary would come to bring me the good news.

Laughing Sorry...no offense to anyone.

SheWrites,  I think you are the least offensive Bible believer I've ever listened to.  And after 65 years of living in the Bible Belt I've listened to a great many.  lol

Well I step back from saying "I believe the Bible." I believe what Jesus taught.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:Well I step back from saying "I believe the Bible."  I believe what Jesus taught.  

I really am not wanting to sound argumentative when I ask you this question.
But I've always understood that what Jesus taught and what the Bible says about that are one in the same?  Is that not so?

Bob wrote:
SheWrites wrote:Well I step back from saying "I believe the Bible."  I believe what Jesus taught.  

I really am not wanting to sound argumentative when I ask you this question.
But I've always understood that what Jesus taught and what the Bible says about that are one in the same?  Is that not so?

I like the Sermon on the Mount. He goes through this list of "it is written" and then says, "But I say..." and then brings the "rule" to a matter of the heart.

That may not be clear but it's in the New Testament, Matthew chapters 5-7.

I also like the way he called out the Pharisees (rules keepers) when they brought the adulterous woman to him. He was compassionate.

Meet any compassionate Christians? They might be the real deal. Oh but wait....there's that Republican platform that has to be upheld...and the tea party!!! LOL If you don't you're un-American and a liberal!!

Yep, I question things..

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

The Bible says the earth is flat. Several times it says that. Does that mean its wrong in some places? How do we pick the "right" places?

Look, a former governor (Huckabee) swears every word of the bible is literally true. Of course it is. The world is flat, you see. LOL

http://www.alternet.org/why-dont-christians-who-take-bible-literally-also-think-earth-flat?akid=11677.930695.lQ5t5B&rd=1&src=newsletter978221&t=15&paging=off&current_page=1#bookmark

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:

Meet any compassionate Christians?  

Absolutely. My girlfriend's son-in-law is the living, breathing personification of that. He's always doing Christian deeds for those who are in need and he makes a lot of sacrifices to do it.
He's also not judgemental which is another thing I really admire about his own practice of Christianity.

Wordslinger wrote:The Bible says the earth is flat.  Several times it says that.  Does that mean its wrong in some places?  How do we pick the "right" places?

Look, a former governor (Huckabee) swears every word of the bible is literally true.  Of course it is.  The world is flat, you see.   LOL

http://www.alternet.org/why-dont-christians-who-take-bible-literally-also-think-earth-flat?akid=11677.930695.lQ5t5B&rd=1&src=newsletter978221&t=15&paging=off&current_page=1#bookmark

Context...

And literally is a word he should not use.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I guess since Mike Huckabee and Bill O'Reilly have national television audiences, we have to give more weight to their ideas than our own. But I sure would prefer we don't.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum