Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Two minds on Syria

+5
Hospital Bob
2seaoat
Sal
gulfbeachbandit
boards of FL
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Two minds on Syria Empty Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 2:08 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2013/08/the-debate-over-intervention-in-syria.html

So it looks like we’re going to bomb Assad.

Good.

Really? Why good?

Did you see the videos of those kids? I heard that ten thousand people were gassed. Hundreds of them died. This time, we have to do something.

Yes, I saw the videos.

And you don’t want to pound the shit out of him?

I want to pound the shit out of him.

But you think we shouldn’t do anything.

I didn’t say that. But I want you to explain what we’re going to achieve by bombing.

We’re going to let Assad know that chemical weapons are over the line. There’s a reason they’ve been illegal since Verdun or whenever.

Except when Saddam used them against the Kurds—we knew, and we didn’t say a word.

Is that a reason to let Assad use them against his people?

At this point, I don’t think Assad is too worried about the Geneva Conventions.

He should have to think hard before using them again.

He’s a bloody dictator fighting for survival. He’s going to do whatever he has to do.

Not if we really hurt him. Not if we pound his communications centers, his air-force bases, key government installations. He’ll be more likely to survive if he doesn’t use chemical weapons.

Killing civilians while we’re at it.

These would be very specific targets.

The wrong people always get killed.

Maybe. Probably. But if you were a Syrian being bombed by Assad every day, trying to keep your head down and your family alive, wouldn’t you want the world to respond, even if a few more people die? I think so.

Easy for you to say.

Hey, can we not personalize this?

Weren’t you just saying that I don’t care about dying children? (Pause.) So you want us to get involved in their civil war.

I’m not saying that.

But that’s what we’ll be doing. Intervening on the rebel side, tipping the balance in their favor.

Not necessarily. We’ll be drawing a line that says dictators don’t get to use W.M.D.s without consequences.

You can’t bomb targets on one side of a civil war without helping the other side.

It would be very temporary. We’d send Assad a clear message, and then we’d step back and let them go on fighting. We’re not getting involved any deeper than that, because I know what you’re going to say—

The rebels are a bunch of infighting, disorganized, jihadist thugs, and we can’t trust any of them.

I’m not saying we should.

And what do we do if Assad retaliates against Israel or Turkey? Or if he uses nerve gas somewhere else?

We hit him again.

And it escalates.

Not if we restrict it to cruise missiles and air strikes.

Now you’re scaring me. Have you forgotten Iraq?

Not for a single minute.

My point is that you can’t restrict it. You can’t use force for limited goals. You need to know what you’ll do after his next move, and the move after that.

It only escalates if we allow ourselves to get dragged in deeper. Kosovo didn’t escalate.

This isn’t Kosovo. The Syrian rebels aren’t the K.L.A. Assad isn’t Milosevic. Putin isn’t Yeltsin. This is far worse. Kosovo became a U.N. protectorate. That’s not going to happen in Syria.

You think Putin is going to risk a military confrontation with the U.S. and Europe?

I think Russia isn’t going to let Assad go down. Neither is Iran or Hezbollah. So they’ll escalate. This could be the thing that triggers an Israel-Iran war, and how do we stay out of that? My God, it feels like August, 1914.

That was a hundred years ago. Stop with the historical analogies.

You’re the one who brought up Verdun. And Kosovo.

I brought up Kosovo because you brought up Iraq. That’s the problem with these arguments. Iraq! Vietnam! Valley Forge! Agincourt! People resort to analogies so they don’t have to think about the matter at hand.

And because they don’t know anything about the matter at hand.

I know what I saw in those videos.

Thank God Obama doesn’t make foreign policy that way. He knows what he doesn’t know about Syria. He’s always thinking a few steps ahead. He’s not going to get steamrolled by John McCain and Anderson Cooper.

At a certain point, caution is another word for indecisiveness. Obama looks weak! Or worse—indifferent. Anyway, he should have thought ahead when he called chemical weapons a “red line.” He set that trap a year ago, and now we’re in it.

Why does it have to be a trap?

Because our credibility is on the line.

Thank you, Dr. Kissinger.

See, that’s another thing people do in these arguments.

What?

“You sound like so-and-so.” It shouldn’t matter who else is on your side. I mean, you’re in bed with Rand Paul. Anyway, credibility matters even if Kissinger said so. You have to do what you say you’re going to do, especially with bullies.

I don’t think Obama committed himself to any one course of action. But if he does bomb them, we’re involved in that war, and I sure hope his advisers have thought through all the potential consequences better than you have.

Inaction has consequences, too. Assad gases more people, the death toll hits two hundred thousand, the weapons get into Hezbollah’s hands, Iran moves ahead with its nuclear program, the Syrian rebels disintegrate and turn to international terrorism, the whole region goes up in sectarian flames.

And how does firing cruise missiles at Damascus prevent any of this?

It doesn’t. But, look, all of this is already happening with us sitting it out. If we put a gun to Assad’s head, we might be able to have more influence over the outcome. At least we can prevent him from winning.

A violent stalemate. How wonderful for the Syrians. Some people think that’s the best solution for us.

I’m not saying that.

What are you saying?

I don’t know. I had it worked out in my head until we started talking. (Pause.) But we need to do something this time.

Not just to do something.

All right. Not just to do something. But could you do me a favor?

What’s that?

While you’re doing nothing, could you please be unhappy about it?

I am.

2Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 2:22 pm

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

The big mistake was giving assad a "line in the sand" to cross. Which he did cross. obama practically dared him to use chemical weapons.

3Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 2:33 pm

Sal

Sal

Sometimes the best strategy is to bluff.

Sometimes the bluff doesn't work and the best strategy becomes folding.

4Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 2:41 pm

2seaoat

There are solutions in Syria. I listen to comments and I think how ill informed the American public and media is to the history and issues which have faced Syria. First, most people do not even understand that Syria and Egypt for a period of time were one nation from 1958 to 1961. The Syrians pulled out of the Union because of their close ties with the communist at the time and the former Soviet block. Pure and simple geo political nation building from the remains of colonial and Ottoman empire we are now thrust in a larger conflict of modernity on these former colonies.

We fail to realize that many of these nation states are simply dictatorships of convenience where in Syria the father was worse than the son. I think that poverty and systematic denial of folks of true democracy is simply the power elite and Oligarchy fighting democracy to allow the continued theft of each of these artificial nation's wealth.

The answer is not going to be solved by bombs. It is a systemic crisis which transcends borders. The real solution is similar to the EU where economic union, fundamental citizen rights, and the clash with traditional Islam are addressed in the United Nations, and region wide reform is protected. The Russians, just like in 1961 have long standing geopolitical interests in Syria as a counterbalance to Turkey and its NATO alignment. The solution must start at the table with the Russians, and not some children talking about how tough they are. Russia's ability to get out of bankruptcy in the 90s based on rising oil prices depended on discord over the entire region. I think it can be shown that the Russians and Americans have mutual beneficial interests, and it can begin by resolving region wide the failure of democracy in the middle east. There are real word and difficult solutions for Syria.

5Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 2:47 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

[quote="boards of FL"]

So it looks like we’re going to bomb Assad.

Good.

Really? Why good?

Did you see the videos of those kids? I heard that ten thousand people were gassed. Hundreds of them died. This time, we have to do something.

Yes, I saw the videos.

And you don’t want to pound the shit out of him?

I want to pound the shit out of him.

Bull fucking shit. Nobody's gonna bomb Assad.

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2013/08/27/obama-assad-worry-hurt/

Any moron knows that's how it's done. When the cops go after Ted Bundy they don't want to hurt Bundy. They want to hurt everybody in town except Bundy.
When we were in a schoolyard fight, we didn't punch the bully. We punched the little girls standing over to the side.
And when we "bomb Assad" we don't bomb him, we bomb everything but him.

What a crock of shit. I wouldn't suit up in this government's fucking military if the ragheads were landing on Pensacola Beach. And anybody who does is an ignorant brainwashed retard.

6Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 2:48 pm

Why doesn't obama just do some of his ninja shit and kill assad like he did bin laden? Or drone strike like he did the cleric?

That should be the only message... if you are a leader of atrocities... YOU will be killed one way or another. Count on it.

Except I don't think taking credit for it is very smart... our foreign relations response should be a shrug of the shoulders.

7Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 2:55 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PkrBum wrote:Why doesn't obama just do some of his ninja shit and kill assad like he did bin laden? Or drone strike like he did the cleric?

That should be the only message... if you are a leader of atrocities... YOU will be killed one way or another. Count on it.

Except I don't think taking credit for it is very smart... our foreign relations response should be a shrug of the shoulders.
He doesn't do it for the same reason Bush and Clinton and Reagan and every other stinking gutless coward President didn't do it.  It's because they're all a bunch of yellow-belied chickenshits who are scared shitless that it will make those other chickenshits want to kill them too.

This is what makes war between nations such a sick tragic joke. A mockery to the whole human race.

8Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 2:57 pm

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:Why doesn't obama just do some of his ninja shit and kill assad like he did bin laden? Or drone strike like he did the cleric?

Well, because it's illegal.

But, that law is fucked up and bullshit.

I'm against intervening in Syria, but if every missile we fired was aimed directly at Assad, his family, and his henchmen, ...

... I'd be willing to listen to that plan.

9Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 3:00 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

It's only illegal because those chickenshit presidents made it illegal and keep it illegal.
They play god with those "executive orders" and then have the balls to call this a democracy.

10Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 3:02 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This must be the Miss Universe contest in an alternate reality where ugliness is beauty.
Because these are hands down two of the ugliest human beings who were ever born.

Two minds on Syria Pelosi-assad

11Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 3:03 pm

2seaoat

There are real diplomatic solutions in the Middle East. It must start with democracy. We have talked about 50 years since the March on Washington, yet we fail to realize the infancy of these artificial nation states, and the complexities which need to be addressed in the UN.

President Obama will be defined on how he handles the next year. His success with the Arab Spring, Bin Laden, and Libya will be crushed if he does not use caution and restraint. Diplomacy first, and playing to the Sunday talk shows second. A leader gets the snot kicked out of him domestically sometimes by making the right decision. It is often a lonely walk.

12Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 3:09 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:  A leader gets the snot kicked out of him domestically sometimes by making the right decision.
Nah he just tells the White House chef to make him a gourmet snack.
And then after he leaves office, he tells some other chef to make him a gourmet snack and you and every other taxpayer pays for it.
And while he's in office or after he leaves either one, anybody who wants to beat the snot out of him will have to go through a bunch of Secret Service bodyguards first.

It's the nobodies you never heard of who get the snot beat out of them.

13Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 4:13 pm

If... and it's looking more like when... obama begins bombing syria I expect the argument that he is different from bush to cease. Welcome to the real world boys and girls... you were had... and it's your own damn fault. Gawd we're dumb today.

14Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 4:42 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Hopefully MacDill is working on a solution. USSOCOM can activate the death squad in Syria and take Assad out.

15Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 4:49 pm

2seaoat

I voted for Bush, and I give 100% support to my President who happens to be President Obama. If you look how the man has aged, you will begin to understand what Bob fails to comprehend. These brave men get up and serve this country when running for President. No man should have to suffer the hate and disrespect that President Bush and Obama have endured. This idea that all government is bad, all politicians without merit, and a general nihilist attitude I would expect out of my 4 year old granddaughter, yet on these forums we talk about these men like they are clowns, yet they have more substance and fortitude in their little toe than any of the pundits who exist in a plasma of negativity. In the adult world cold hard unfair and life changing decisions are made every day. Only being 99% correct can mean people die, and people suffer. Constructive and supportive dialogue is what this nation needs now, but instead the conversation has been relegated to four year olds.

16Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 4:58 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:If... and it's looking more like when... obama begins bombing syria I expect the argument that he is different from bush to cease. Welcome to the real world boys and girls... you were had... and it's your own damn fault. Gawd we're dumb today.
I would have to see a full on invasion/occupation lasting near a decade and costing $1 trillion + before I'd be willing to concede that.  If he sends in the drones or something similar to the way Libya was handled, that is nothing like Bush.  Not even in the same universe.

17Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 5:03 pm

2seaoat wrote:I voted for Bush, and I give 100% support to my President who happens to be President Obama. If you look how the man has aged, you will begin to understand what Bob fails to comprehend. These brave men get up and serve this country when running for President. No man should have to suffer the hate and disrespect that President Bush and Obama have endured. This idea that all government is bad, all politicians without merit, and a general nihilist attitude I would expect out of my 4 year old granddaughter, yet on these forums we talk about these men like they are clowns, yet they have more substance and fortitude in their little toe than any of the pundits who exist in a plasma of negativity. In the adult world cold hard unfair and life changing decisions are made every day. Only being 99% correct can mean people die, and people suffer. Constructive and supportive dialogue is what this nation needs now, but instead the conversation has been relegated to four year olds.
Yes... It's childish to expect the person that you elected to do what he promised to do... to lead in our best interest.

What was I thinking?

18Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 5:09 pm

2seaoat

It's childish to expect the person that you elected to do what he promised to do.

What were you promised....be specific.

19Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 5:11 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:

Well, because it's illegal.

But, that law is fucked up and bullshit.

I'm against intervening in Syria, but if every missile we fired was aimed directly at Assad, his family, and his henchmen, ...

... I'd be willing to listen to that plan.

It's illegal? Are you sure?

Obama expanded JSCO to operate legally in more than 75 counties. Technically covert military attacks/assassinations can be carried out under the guise of AQN ExOrd .

20Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 5:31 pm

2seaoat wrote:It's childish to expect the person that you elected to do what he promised to do.

What were you promised....be specific.
It wasn't me that was promised anything... I had very little to go on that would convince me of what he said. Why would his opinion about things such as foreign policy or middle east affairs have carried any weight? He was a rookie senator with little to NO practical experience... especially concerning international relations... or economics I might add... which might have been important... SINCE WE WERE IN AN ECONOMIC CRISIS. I have never seen a candidate with less experience run for the presidency... y'all are a bunch of idiots.

Q: How would you include Syria and Iran in the effort toward establishing a stable,responsible,and non-hostile government in Iraq?

A: We have to realize that the entire Middle East has a huge stake in the outcome of Iraq, and that we have to engage neighboring countries in finding a solution. Now, I believe that includes opening dialogue both Syria and Iran. We know these countries want us to fail. I’m under no illusions there, but I also know that neither Syria nor Iran want to see a security vacuum in Iraq filled with chaos, and terrorism, and refugees and violence, since those could have a destabilizing effect on the entire region, including within their own countries. So, even as we remain steadfast in our opposition to their support of terrorism, even as we continue to put pressure on Iran to stand down on its nuclear ambitions, it’s absolutely critical that we talk to the Syrians and the Iranians about playing a more constructive role in Iraq.

Source: Virtual Town Hall on Iraq, sponsored by MoveOn.org Apr 10, 2007

I was going to quote the bridge the gap crap... but I've never even gotten a peep as a reply to that.

21Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 5:36 pm

2seaoat

What exactly is your problem with that quote? It seemed reasoned and balanced. President Obama and Harry Truman were regularly criticized for the lack of foreign policy experience, but history has shown that Truman nailed it and I dare suggest the same will be true about Obama.

22Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 5:46 pm

2seaoat wrote:What exactly is your problem with that quote? It seemed reasoned and balanced. President Obama and Harry Truman were regularly criticized for the lack of foreign policy experience, but history has shown that Truman nailed it and I dare suggest the same will be true about Obama.
It's crapola... that's my problem with it. I just pulled one out that happened to include syria. A load of political jargon.

23Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 7:13 pm

Markle

Markle

Sal wrote:Sometimes the best strategy is to bluff.

Sometimes the bluff doesn't work and the best strategy becomes folding.
That's fine in a game.

President Barack Hussein Obama has backed himself into a corner on the world wide stage. He is already seen as weak and timid. Nothing good will come of this as President Obama again demonstrates his ineptitude.

24Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 7:22 pm

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:What exactly is your problem with that quote?  It seemed reasoned and balanced.   President Obama and Harry Truman were regularly criticized for the lack of foreign policy experience, but history has shown that Truman nailed it and I dare suggest the same will be true about Obama.
Nothing of the sort will ever be said about President Barack Hussein Obama. Around the world he is viewed as weak and inept.

Two minds on Syria WimpObama-1

25Two minds on Syria Empty Re: Two minds on Syria 8/28/2013, 7:36 pm

2seaoat

Nothing of the sort will ever be said about President Barack Hussein Obama. Around the world he is viewed as weak and inept.

Same utter fantasy Truman faced....give em hell Harry and Obama just gobble up the John Wayne fantasy of how to be a tough president in foreign relations.....history does repeat itself.....and stupid just cannot help itself sometimes...........the illusion of being a tough guy all over the world....you must be a Putin fan where a 5'6" shirtless JUDO participant creates the illusion of tough......you are a funny guy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum