Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Forum republicans: Step up and state your specific objections to Obama's recent executive order involving guns

+9
Hospital Bob
polecat
TEOTWAWKI
Markle
EmeraldGhost
Sal
gatorfan
2seaoat
boards of FL
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

big bore 357 air rifles can kill a deer and require no background check and are very quiet...

polecat

polecat

The fact that you're allowed to arm yourself while calling Obama a 'gun-grabbing tyrant' kinda proves he's not. - John Fugelsang

After being arrested for crashing his car into a shopping mall, a Florida man explained to police that he was trying to time-travel. Which is crazy. If you want to travel 50 years into the future, just leave Florida.- Seth Myers

Conservatives have Trump as their leader & radical militia fools occupying welcome centers with AK-47's - but progressives are the idiots? - Allen Clifton

Trump: First Hillary pees. Now Obama cries. And don't get me started on Megyn Kelly's blood-spewing wherever. Losers, all of them. - OhNoSheTwitnt

Obama's plan to boost the economy for a Democrat in 2016 by sparking massive gun sales is working perfectly.- LOLGOP

Will those who took over federal building in Oregon get to paradise & find 72 cousins? - John Fugelsang

OK, by now I've heard a lot of great names for the Oregon gang: "y'all-qaeda," "yee-hawdists," "yokel haram." But I think my favorite is "f*cking idiots."- Andy Borowitz

Man, I bet the Crips & Bloods feel really dumb for calling themselves 'gangs' instead of 'militias.' #OregonUnderAttack - John Fugelsang

I love Republicans being shocked by the discovery that their base is being led into the harbor by a race-baiting pied piper. - LOLGOP

Wouldn't it be nice if America could at least get the militia well-regulated like the Constitution intended?- The Daily Edge

Background checks on all guns are too oppressive, say the guys who still want to see Obama's *real* birth certificate. - LOLGOP

http://www.snopes.com/2015/06/22/save-a-life-surrender-your-knife/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm

A&E doctors are calling for a ban on long pointed kitchen knives to reduce deaths from stabbing.

A team from West Middlesex University Hospital said violent crime is on the increase - and kitchen knives are used in as many as half of all stabbings.

They argued many assaults are committed impulsively, prompted by alcohol and drugs, and a kitchen knife often makes an all too available weapon.

The research is published in the British Medical Journal.

The researchers said there was no reason for long pointed knives to be publicly available at all.

They consulted 10 top chefs from around the UK, and found such knives have little practical value in the kitchen.

None of the chefs felt such knives were essential, since the point of a short blade was just as useful when a sharp end was needed.

The researchers said a short pointed knife may cause a substantial superficial wound if used in an assault - but is unlikely to penetrate to inner organs.

In contrast, a pointed long blade pierces the body like "cutting into a ripe melon".

The use of knives is particularly worrying amongst adolescents, say the researchers, reporting that 24% of 16-year-olds have been shown to carry weapons, primarily knives.

The study found links between easy access to domestic knives and violent assault are long established.

French laws in the 17th century decreed that the tips of table and street knives be ground smooth.

A century later, forks and blunt-ended table knives were introduced in the UK in an effort to reduce injuries during arguments in public eating houses.

The researchers say legislation to ban the sale of long pointed knives would be a key step in the fight against violent crime.

"The Home Office is looking for ways to reduce knife crime.

"We suggest that banning the sale of long pointed knives is a sensible and practical measure that would have this effect."

Government response

Home Office spokesperson said there were already extensive restrictions in place to control the sale and possession of knives.

"The law already prohibits the possession of offensive weapons in a public place, and the possession of knives in public without good reason or lawful authority, with the exception of a folding pocket knife with a blade not exceeding three inches.

"Offensive weapons are defined as any weapon designed or adapted to cause injury, or intended by the person possessing them to do so.

"An individual has to demonstrate that he had good reason to possess a knife, for example for fishing, other sporting purposes or as part of his profession (e.g. a chef) in a public place.

"The manufacture, sale and importation of 17 bladed, pointed and other offensive weapons have been banned, in addition to flick knives and gravity knives."

A spokesperson for the Association of Chief Police Officers said: "ACPO supports any move to reduce the number of knife related incidents, however, it is important to consider the practicalities of enforcing such changes."

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Personally,  I don't think hese gun control measures will have any effect on gun violence.
So I say let's enact them and see what happens.  If they work,  great.  If they don't then maybe we won't have to hear about them anymore (but I doubt it).

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:" Current law doesn't require one to be a licensed dealer in order to engage in selling firearms. People who engage in selling firearms who aren't licensed aren't required to process background checks. That addresses your idea that current law already requires background checks for sales by unlicensed dealers."

Then you acknowledge that what obama has done is not "policy"... nor is it a clarification of an existing law?

The executive order addresses the current blind spot that allows unlicensed dealers (or sellers, unicorns, whatever you want to call them) to engage in the act of selling guns without performing a background check.  

Then it's creating a criminal act where there was not one before?

It requires that people who engage in the sale of firearms conduct those sales as licensed dealers who conduct background checks, among other things.

Feel free to restate that in whatever context suits you.

Here again, do you have a problem with any specific part of this executive order?  Do you disagree with the concept of background checks?

It's a simple question. Does this executive order create a criminal act where there was not one before?

I'll play your semantic game just to see if there is a point lurking behind it.

Yes.  I suppose that if someone were to continue dealing guns in the shadows to random people without becoming licensed and conducting background checks, that would be considered a criminal act.

There you are.   Now let's see if you have a point, or if you're capable of addressing the central point of the thread.  Doubtful, but let's see.

Then his order is not policy... it is not clarification of law... it is the creation of law and clearly unconstitutional.

Not necessarily.  We could say that it is a clarification of the already existing laws that govern background checks, so as to prevent people from gaming the system by engaging in the sale of firearms without becoming a licensed dealer.  

So with that said, am I correct in assuming that you either 1) don't take specific objection to anything in this executive order or 2) you're simply once again in a situation where words fail you?  You don't have anything to add with respect to the actual subject matter of the thread - which is specific objections to the elements of the executive order?

Well who would have guessed!

(sprays air freshener)

Let's say that obama decided to "clarify" existing dui laws. He orders that .01 is now the threshold for arrest.

Is that within his executive powers?

I'm not entirely sure as I'm admittedly not an executive order expert.  So rather than confidently state an opinion that I know I can't reasonably support, I'll just say that I'm not entirely sure and that if such a decision were made, it would certainly be subjected to and have to stand up to legal scrutiny...just as this current executive order will.

That said, I suspect you're just as ignorant in the arena of executive orders as you are in every other arena of discussion on this forum.  But in spite of that fact, I also suspect that you are extremely confident in your opinion.  And just as is the case with everything else you say and post here, you're likely not able to support said opinion nor even coherently clarify it specifically.  Hell, you're probably five posts deep into this thread and you haven't even managed to address the underlying subject matter yet.

I actually posted an article about your kind earlier this morning.  The article is discussing the typical, mis-informed Trump supporter, though their comments on the mis-informed extend beyond just those who support Trump.

In 2000, James Kuklinski and other political scientists at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign established an important distinction: American citizens with incorrect information can be divided into two groups, the misinformed and the uniformed. The difference between the two is stark. Uninformed citizens don’t have any information at all, while those who are misinformed have information that conflicts with the best evidence and expert opinion. As Kuklinski and his colleagues established, in the U.S., the most misinformed citizens tend to be the most confident in their views and are also the strongest partisans. These folks fill the gaps in their knowledge base by using their existing belief systems. Once these inferences are stored into memory, they become “indistinguishable from hard data,” Kuklinski and his colleagues found.

And lastly, have you anything to say about the actual subject matter of the thread?  Or are you just here to shit yourself in the elevator as Damaged Eagle used to do before he deleted himself?  I feel like I've asked you this at least three times to no avail.

It's amazing how nasty and immature you are. You admittedly don't know the constitutional limitations of an eo... and apparently don't understand the separations of power between the branches... but attack personally instead of using this as an opportunity to learn something. Why? I suspect because you just so desperately adore obama and would never confront his shortcomings or admit that he could do wrong. That's the definition of a useful idiot.

Btw... have you wondered why the no fly list exclusion isn't included in his executive edict?

I'm engaged in conversation with an idiot.  Perhaps you and I have differing opinions on what the phrase "opportunity to learn something" means.  Aside from "Pkrbum is a dumbass" - which, I already know - what else could I possibly learn form a guy who can't even clarify his own speech or subjective political beliefs?  You have now posted to this thread perhaps six times and yet you still haven't managed to address the underlying subject matter of the thread.  Unless you have anything to say that addresses the underlying subject matter of the thread...

Sorry, everyone.

(sprays air freshener)

I stated two "specific objections" to obama's executive edict. You just don't have a defense so you attack.

What a spoiled little shit you are.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I can go into any gun store and buy a couple six shooters with no back ground check no questions ...black powder guns are exempt....but deadly...and they can't be matched to the bullet ..no rifling...

I have some black powder guns...not exactly what someone would choose to go on a rampage.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:I stated two "specific objections" to obama's executive edict. You just don't have a defense so you attack.

Again, sorry everyone.

(sprays air freshener)

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

EmeraldGhost wrote:
boards of FL wrote:I'm interested in hearing what your specific objections are.  Note that I'm not looking for "bad ideas fail" or "they're taking our guns!!!" but, rather, I'm looking for your specific objections to the executive order.  What part of this executive order do you feel is bad policy and why.  I'm looking for your analysis of the policy itself and why you dislike it.

Can any forum republican state a coherent opinion that specifically addresses the actual details of the executive order?  I suspect the answer there is "no", but let's see.

Do you have a government permit to ask that question?

He's an American citizen and a member of this forum. I wonder if your qualifications are as strong?

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

EmeraldGhost wrote:I object to Obama's EO's because it's clear he's going to sick the ATF on a bunch of small potatoes hobbyists at Gun Shows in order to scare the bejesus out of the rest of America's gun owners.  

This will have pretty much zero effect on gun crime ... and the EO's will be rescinded next January when the new Republican President comes in.

It's all pointless stuff .... intended to set up the issue of "sensible gun regulations" to give Hillary a slight edge with certain demographics in the general election.

More than 80% of American's polled want background checks required for all firearm purchases.

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:I stated two "specific objections" to obama's executive edict. You just don't have a defense so you attack.

Again, sorry everyone.

(sprays air freshener)

1)"Then his order is not policy... it is not clarification of law... it is the creation of law and clearly unconstitutional."

2)"There are also concerns as to his order of sharing of medical information... though I don't know the specifics of his order yet. Tittle 2 of hipaa law is pretty specific as to those qualifiers and exceptions however... and judicial reviews.

If due process is circumvented then I believe again it's extra-constitutional."

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Harvey Oliver Scmuckhead inherited his fathers .45 Colt auto, which he hasn't used for years. Harvey's lawnmower broke down, so he goes to a gunshow, and hopes to sell the .45 to ANYONE who has the cash.

The ANYONE turns out to be a right wing anti-abortion activist who will use Scmuckhead's .45 against a young doctor who works as a legal abortionist at a clinic in Belleville, Illinois. The ANYONE also has served time in a State Penitentiary for violent crime.

Harvey gets his lawnmower fixed.

And all you republican assholes who scream that making all gun sellers perform background checks for every gun they sell is just too much for people like Harvey Scmuckhead to bear, are out of your collective minds.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Again, sorry everyone.  

(sprays air freshener)

1)"Then his order is not policy... it is not clarification of law... it is the creation of law and clearly unconstitutional."

2)"There are also concerns as to his order of sharing of medical information... though I don't know the specifics of his order yet. Tittle 2 of hipaa law is pretty specific as to those qualifiers and exceptions however... and judicial reviews.

I already addressed number 1.  Regarding number 2, specific medical records or diagnosis need not be shared.  There only needs to be a flag of some sort that would show up in a background check that would indicate whether or not someone is of the mental capacity to purchase a gun.  

In one hand we have the Colorado theater shooting.  In the other, we have the prospect of a gun dealer running a background check and simply being told, broadly, that James Holmes isn't of the mental capacity to purchase guns.  Hmmm.  That's a tough one.

Anything else? <--- Rhetorical question. Of course there isn't anything else. There never is.

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:

You're simply wrong on your first point.

He clearly framed his order as clarification and refinement of existing law.

I have medial professional discussing you second point, and some agree that there could be a problem, but it's not yet clear how this is to be handled.

I'm guessing that there are some damn fine lawyers who can figure that out.

Sal

Sal

Salinsky wrote:
PkrBum wrote:

You're simply wrong on your first point.

He clearly framed his order as clarification and refinement of existing law.

I have heard medical professional discussing your second point, and some agree that there could be a problem, but it's not yet clear how this is to be handled.

I'm guessing that there are some damn fine lawyers who can figure that out.

Last edited by Salinsky on 1/8/2016, 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Again, sorry everyone.  

(sprays air freshener)

I already addressed number 1.  Regarding number 2, specific medical records or diagnosis need not be shared.  There only needs to be a flag of some sort that would show up in a background check that would indicate whether or not someone is of the mental capacity to purchase a gun.  

In one hand we have the Colorado theater shooting.  In the other, we have the prospect of a gun dealer running a background check and simply being told, broadly, that James Holmes isn't of the mental capacity to purchase guns.  Hmmm.  That's a tough one.

Anything else? <--- Rhetorical question. Of course there isn't anything else. There never is.

Where is the due process? You know... one of those silly antiquated inalienable rights.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Again, sorry everyone.  

(sprays air freshener)

Anything else?  <--- Rhetorical question.  Of course there isn't anything else.  There never is.

Where is the due process? You know... one of those silly antiquated inalienable rights.

Back to the idiotic rhetorical questions. Looks like we are in fact done here.

And, again, sorry everyone.

(sprays air freshener)

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Again, sorry everyone.  

(sprays air freshener)

Anything else?  <--- Rhetorical question.  Of course there isn't anything else.  There never is.

Back to the idiotic rhetorical questions. Looks like we are in fact done here.

(sprays air freshener)

Why don't you just say that you have no problem forfeiting your constitutional rights for a leftist edict? Step up comrade.

Procedural due process

This protection extends to all government proceedings that can result in an individual's deprivation,whether civil or criminal in nature,from parole violation hearings to administrative hearings regarding government benefits and entitlements to full-blown criminal trials. The article "Some Kind of Hearing" written by Judge Henry Friendly created a list of basic due process rights "that remains highly influential, as to both content and relative priority." [16] These rights,which apply equally to civil due process and criminal due process,are: [16]

1. An unbiased tribunal.

2. Notice of the proposed action and the grounds asserted for it.

3. Opportunity to present reasons why the proposed action should not be taken.

4. The right to present evidence, including the right to call witnesses.

5. The right to know opposing evidence.

6. The right to cross-examine adverse witnesses.

7. A decision based exclusively on the evidence presented.

8. Opportunity to be represented by counsel.

9. Requirement that the tribunal prepare a record of the evidence presented.

10. Requirement that the tribunal prepare written findings of fact and reasons for its decision.

Civil procedural due process

Procedural due process is essentially based on the concept of "fundamental fairness." For example, in 1934,the United States Supreme Court held that due process is violated "if a practice or rule offends some principle of justice so rooted in the traditions and conscience of our people as to be ranked as fundamental." [17] As construed by the courts, it includes an individual's right to be adequately notified of charges or proceedings, the opportunity to be heard at these proceedings, and that the person or panel making the final decision over the proceedings be impartial in regards to the matter before them. [18]

To put it more simply,where an individual is facing a deprivation of life, liberty, or property,procedural due process mandates that he or she is entitled to adequate notice, a hearing, and a neutral judge.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Again, sorry everyone.  

(sprays air freshener)

Back to the idiotic rhetorical questions.   Looks like we are in fact done here.

(sprays air freshener)

Why don't you just say that you have no problem forfeiting your constitutional rights for a leftist edict? Step up comrade.

Because I don't agree with that statement. What - specific - part of the executive order are you suggesting is forfeiting my constitutional rights?

Markle

Markle

Wordslinger wrote:
EmeraldGhost wrote:I object to Obama's EO's because it's clear he's going to sick the ATF on a bunch of small potatoes hobbyists at Gun Shows in order to scare the bejesus out of the rest of America's gun owners.  

This will have pretty much zero effect on gun crime ... and the EO's will be rescinded next January when the new Republican President comes in.

It's all pointless stuff .... intended to set up the issue of "sensible gun regulations" to give Hillary a slight edge with certain demographics in the general election.

More than 80% of American's polled want background checks required for all firearm purchases.

We already have background checks including at gun shows and over the internet.

Problem solved.

Please list for us all the mass murders which would have been prevented had any of the mandates in semi-retired President Obama's executive order.

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Again, sorry everyone.  

(sprays air freshener)

Back to the idiotic rhetorical questions.   Looks like we are in fact done here.

(sprays air freshener)

Because I don't agree with that statement.  What - specific - part of the executive order are you suggesting is forfeiting my constitutional rights?

The Executive Order accomplishes little or nothing and, in fact, creates more problems.

Why do Democrats and Progressives refuse to pass laws that really do reduce gun violence?

boards of FL

boards of FL

boards of FL wrote:Can any forum republican state a coherent opinion that specifically addresses the actual details of the executive order?  I suspect the answer there is "no", but let's see.

Markle wrote:The Executive Order accomplishes little or nothing and, in fact, creates more problems.

Why do Democrats and Progressives refuse to pass laws that really do reduce gun violence?

boards of FL

boards of FL

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Again, sorry everyone.  

(sprays air freshener)

(sprays air freshener)

Because I don't agree with that statement.  What - specific - part of the executive order are you suggesting is forfeiting my constitutional rights?

So...are you not able to clarify the part of the executive order that you were referring to?

Uh oh...it's happening again.

I'm not going to jump through hoops while you play willfully ignorant. See number two and read his edict yourself.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/01/04/fact-sheet-new-executive-actions-reduce-gun-violence-and-make-our

The Department of Health and Human Services is finalizing a rule to remove unnecessary legal barriers preventing States from reporting relevant information about people prohibited from possessing a gun for specific mental health reasons.

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has indicated that it will begin the rulemaking process to ensure that appropriate information in its records is reported to NICS. The reporting that SSA, in consultation with the Department of Justice, is expected to require will cover appropriate records of the approximately 75,000 people each year who have a documented mental health issue, receive disability benefits, and are unable to manage those benefits because of their mental impairment, or who have been found by a state or federal court to be legally incompetent.

The rulemaking will also provide a mechanism for people to seek relief from the federal prohibition on possessing a firearm for reasons related to mental health. Remove unnecessary legal barriers preventing States from reporting relevant information to the background check system.

Although States generally report criminal history information to NICS, many continue to report little information about individuals who are prohibited by Federal law from possessing or receiving a gun for specific mental health reasons.

Some State officials raised concerns about whether such reporting would be precluded by the Privacy Rule issued under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). Today, the Department of Health and Human Services issued a final rule expressly permitting certain HIPAA covered entities to provide to the NICS limited demographic and other necessary information about these individuals.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:I'm not going to jump through hoops while you play willfully ignorant. See number two and read his edict yourself.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/01/04/fact-sheet-new-executive-actions-reduce-gun-violence-and-make-our

The Department of Health and Human Services is finalizing a rule to remove unnecessary legal barriers preventing States from reporting relevant information about people prohibited from possessing a gun for specific mental health reasons.

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has indicated that it will begin the rulemaking process to ensure that appropriate information in its records is reported to NICS. The reporting that SSA, in consultation with the Department of Justice, is expected to require will cover appropriate records of the approximately 75,000 people each year who have a documented mental health issue, receive disability benefits, and are unable to manage those benefits because of their mental impairment, or who have been found by a state or federal court to be legally incompetent.

The rulemaking will also provide a mechanism for people to seek relief from the federal prohibition on possessing a firearm for reasons related to mental health. Remove unnecessary legal barriers preventing States from reporting relevant information to the background check system.

Although States generally report criminal history information to NICS, many continue to report little information about individuals who are prohibited by Federal law from possessing or receiving a gun for specific mental health reasons.

Some State officials raised concerns about whether such reporting would be precluded by the Privacy Rule issued under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). Today, the Department of Health and Human Services issued a final rule expressly permitting certain HIPAA covered entities to provide to the NICS limited demographic and other necessary information about these individuals.

I already addressed this concern here. No one's constitutional rights are being forfeited in the example that I gave you below.

Is that it?

boards of FL wrote:I already addressed number 1.  Regarding number 2, specific medical records or diagnosis need not be shared.  There only needs to be a flag of some sort that would show up in a background check that would indicate whether or not someone is of the mental capacity to purchase a gun.  

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum