Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Affordable Care Act Is Working

+6
Markle
dumpcare
2seaoat
Joanimaroni
TEOTWAWKI
boards of FL
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/03/affordable-care-act-is-working-104942.html#.UzNLBPmzH-s

The Affordable Care Act Is Working

By PHIL SCHILIRO March 24, 2014

It is now four years since the Affordable Care Act was enacted. And in more than 30 years in government, I’ve never seen a law get so little recognition for doing so much good so quickly.

The right measure of the ACA isn’t whether it avoids political controversy; it’s whether it makes America better by achieving its five most fundamental goals: expanding health-insurance coverage, lowering costs and promoting fiscal responsibility, increasing quality through innovation, protecting seniors and delivering peace of mind to American families by guaranteeing essential rights in dealing with insurance companies.

By that standard the law is already a success. Health insurance has expanded. More than 5 million Americans have signed up for coverage through federal and state marketplaces; millions have been determined eligible for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program; and 3 million young adults gained insurance through their parents’ coverage. Even more compelling than statistics are the letters hard-working Americans are sharing with the president. Their unscripted and private testimonials are building a lasting record of the life-changing—and often lifesaving—impacts the ACA is having. One woman from Colorado shared what the peace of mind of having coverage meant to her. “After using my new insurance for the first time, you probably heard my sigh of relief from the White House,” she wrote to President Obama. “I felt like a human being again. I felt that I had value.”

At the same time, costs are coming down. The Congressional Budget Office found the health care law is making significant contributions to fiscal responsibility. The CBO’s most recent estimates show that repealing the law would actually increase deficits by $1.7 trillion over the next 20 years. Moreover, average premiums for coverage through the marketplaces are about 15 percent lower than the CBO previously projected.

There’s more good news when it comes to health care and Medicare spending. The rate of increase in real health spending per person is at its lowest point in 50 years and more than 3 percentage points under the historical average, according to recent data. Growth in the average cost of care for a person enrolled in Medicare is also at unusually low levels, and if that success is maintained, it will translate into trillions in savings over the decades to come. Those savings can be used to pay down our deficit or invest in infrastructure, education, innovation and other key national priorities.

Just three months after the law was signed, House Republicans sounded a warning on jobs and released a report claiming the ACA was “making it harder to put people back to work. By signing ObamaCare into law, President Obama effectively signed pink slips for millions of American workers who will lose their jobs or be denied new jobs.”

That’s not what the facts say. In the 10 years before the law was passed, 3.6 million private-sector jobs were lost. Since its passage, more than 8.5 million private sector jobs have been created. The ACA didn’t create all those jobs, but Republicans’ hyperbolic alarm has been proven blatantly false.
The law’s third goal—to increase quality through innovation—is showing extraordinary promise. Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs)—groups of doctors, hospitals and other health-care providers, who come together to give coordinated care that emphasizes quality, not volume to their Medicare patients—are growing across the country. More than 360 ACOs have been created since the law passed and are saving taxpayers and the Medicare trust fund millions of dollars.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I got a bridge to sell ya... Twisted Evil 

How many were displaced from their ins?

How many of those are counted as new enrollees?

How many are newly eligible for expanded medicaid?

How many receive subsidy? At what level?

How many are young and healthy?

How many are older and have preexisting conditions?

How many have paid?

What is the net gain excluding medicaid?

Will the govt directly subsidize the ins corps to mitigate rate increases due before the election?

The law is now over 20,000 pages including the original 2,700 page bill, the multiple dept rules, and proposed regulations.

I don't think anyone has a firm grasp of this monstrosity... and only a fool would fully believe it's a good idea. Like you.

Boards eyes are brown he is so FOS.

I am so embarrassed to be a member here.  Embarassed 

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

About the author.... Phil Schiliro is an American political consultant and strategist. In December 2013 the White House announced that he was rejoining the President's staff to work on health care issues.

Previously, he had held three different positions under President Obama. He was an Assistant to the President and Special Advisor from February to December 2011. From 2009 to February 2011, he served as Assistant to the President and Director of Legislative Affairs. Before the President took office, Schiliro was director of congressional relations for Obama's presidential transition team.

From the early 1980s until 2008, he served in a number of congressional staff positions, notably as Democratic Chief of Staff for the United States House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform and as chief of staff to Representative Henry Waxman.[
In 2004, he worked as policy director for Senate Democratic leader Tom Daschle

Last edited by Joanimaroni on 3/26/2014, 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

2seaoat

Eight million young adults now have coverage......that seems like a huge win, and 1.7 trillion savings.....just frosting on the cake........and it is only the first year......oh my.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:Eight million young adults now have coverage......that seems like a huge win, and 1.7 trillion savings.....just frosting on the cake........and it is only the first year......oh my.

Does that include the college graduate knuckleheads who dance on bar stools?

2seaoat

What a 7 year senior does not deserve health care, and should swear off drinking?

dumpcare

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:What a 7 year senior does not deserve health care, and should swear off drinking?

Or swear off bar stool dancing. Of course I never knew bar stool dancing was that popular.

What will you say when the uninsured is largely unchanged minus medicaid?

And when the ins corps rate increases are near double digits?

What was the objective again?

dumpcare

PkrBum wrote:How many were displaced from their ins? Don't know because most company's extended old plans.

How many of those are counted as new enrollees? I had quite a few.

How many are newly eligible for expanded medicaid? No one knows.

How many receive subsidy? At what level? About 50% of mine

How many are young and healthy? They are starting to come out of the woodwork this week.

How many are older and have preexisting conditions? 50-50 for me, prex is hard to tell, because an insurance company classify's a lot of things as prex.

How many have paid? All mine except Bob, but gave him a pass when he provided a box of free milk duds and a can of coke.

What is the net gain excluding medicaid? No one knows.

Will the govt directly subsidize the ins corps to mitigate rate increases due before the election? Yes

The law is now over 20,000 pages including the original 2,700 page bill, the multiple dept rules, and proposed regulations. Yes

I don't think anyone has a firm grasp of this monstrosity... and only a fool would fully believe it's a good idea. Like you.
Don't know.

dumpcare

PkrBum wrote:What will you say when the uninsured is largely unchanged minus medicaid?

And when the ins corps rate increases are near double digits?

What was the objective again?
Well at one time to insure poor people and the uninsured, but somewhere it went the way of standing in a bathtub while someone throws in a plugged in hair dryer.

by 2seaoat Today at 7:54 pm
Eight million young adults now have coverage......that seems like a huge win, and 1.7 trillion savings.....just frosting on the cake........and it is only the first year......oh my.
---------
Even the COWH admits to only 5
Mil being signed up and won't admit to how many have paid and how many were those kicked off their own coverage due to the law.

It's a giant boondoggle

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote: Eight million young adults now have coverage......that seems like a huge win, and 1.7 trillion savings.....just frosting on the cake........and it is only the first year......oh my.

What a hoot!

PLEASE< OH PLEASE show us a relatively unbiased source for that laugher. Even the government hasn't come up with that. Or are you talking about adults who are still on their parents health insurance plan.

Or do you even have a clue what you're talking about?

2seaoat

5 + 3 = 8............does not get simpler. The 1.7 Trillion Boards quoted as savings over the next decade was an objective source.

dumpcare

TALLAHASSEE — About 100 nurses, doctors and consumers are flying to Tallahassee to lobby legislators about afford­able health care.

The advocates from Miami’s Jackson Health System say chronically ill patients are falling through the cracks because state lawmakers decided not to expand Medicaid to more than 1 million Floridians.

The deadline is Mon­day to sign up for health insurance under the Af­fordable Care Act.

Many are falling into a gap where they earn too little money to qualify for tax credits on the federal exchange, but too much to qualify for Me­dicaid.

There has been little movement on Medicaid expansion, which is not a priority for Gov. Rick Scott, and House Speaker Will Weatherford op­poses it.

2seaoat wrote:5 + 3 = 8............does not get simpler.  The 1.7 Trillion Boards quoted as savings over the next decade was an objective source.

The fact is 8 million people haven't signed up...period.

it doesn't matter how many people signed up for it. if those people are not from the group this law was intended for, which is PREVIOUSLY UNINSURED, then they should NOT count as part of the count.

counting people who already had insurance but now are getting a subsidy is nothing more than a bigger tax burden on tax payers for a problem that did not exist before this. Such as people who lost their ins because of the bill then had to re-sign up. these people should not count in the number they were looking for.

also MANY or possibly MOST people on Medicaid should not count. not all of them. as of yet, they have not been able to separate or haven't done so on purpose probably those who are new to Medicaid because of the expansion or just those who would have qualified for Medicaid before the expansion. They have NOT separated those two entities.

obamacare has failed. anyone who can not understand what I have just said above knowing what this bill's intent was is lying to themselves. the bill has not only failed its target, it is and has been very effectively destroying the system we had.

Destruction of our nation is what O is all
About.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:How many were displaced from their ins?

How many of those are counted as new enrollees?

How many are newly eligible for expanded medicaid?

How many receive subsidy? At what level?

How many are young and healthy?

How many are older and have preexisting conditions?

How many have paid?

What is the net gain excluding medicaid?

Will the govt directly subsidize the ins corps to mitigate rate increases due before the election?

The law is now over 20,000 pages including the original 2,700 page bill, the multiple dept rules, and proposed regulations.

From another thread...

boards of FL wrote:I just remembered a 3rd reason as to why it is pointless to discuss anything with a GOP supporter: 3)  GOP supporters equate the act of asking a series of vague, rhetorical questions with the act of actually making a substantive point.  Right, Karl?

It's impressive how much you can ignore without blinking... not even a flinch of deviation or doubt.

Your faith is strong comrade... an inspiration to the proliterate. Nationalization via regulation/bureaucracy complete.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:It's impressive how much you can ignore without blinking... not even a flinch of deviation or doubt.

Your faith is strong comrade... an inspiration to the proliterate. Nationalization via regulation/bureaucracy complete.

What did I ignore, exactly?  

Rhetorical questions?  

Is a group of rhetorical questions a solid point, in your mind, that merits a response?

Why do GOP supporters equate the act of asking rhetorical questions with the act of making a point?

What was the score of superbowl XXI?

What is the air speed velocity of a swallow?

How many electrons does H have?

Something about uninsured people and taxes...uh...what about that?

Ha!  Take that!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum