Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Personal ID for Voting

+7
TEOTWAWKI
The Dude
2seaoat
no stress
Sal
ZVUGKTUBM
QueenOfHearts
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

76Personal ID for Voting - Page 4 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/22/2014, 9:33 pm

othershoe1030 wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:An education is the key to making a Democracy work.... Including everyone obviously isn't working anymore because all we have is people electing others that guarantee a handout. I'm giving my students an American citizenship test starting Friday thru the weekend just to show them what others , who are beating he door down to live here, have to go through to get to stay legally. Also, to highlight their lack of knowledge on their own country.

An education is the key to making a democracy work? I guess for the right wing fundamentalists that education would exclude knowledge of scientific principals and known science such as the age of the earth etc. ?

As for requiring a high school education goes what do you do about 18 year olds who haven't graduated yet? Guess they have to wait until the next election? That doesn't seem right either.

Conservatives are strong advocates of sciences. everyone knows that all the liberal arts classes are full of well, liberals lol

you know they even have easy math called liberal math now LMAO!

77Personal ID for Voting - Page 4 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/22/2014, 9:34 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

This is something else related to this topic that has always interested me, being able to register to vote on or near election day. If these states can handle the technology or paperwork to allow this sort of registration it seems we all could get along without a photo ID? The article says ID is required but doesn't specify a photo ID.

It seems to me that we are treating voter registration and voting in a way that ignores current technological developments. I mean if I can enter my zip code at the gas pump anywhere in the country and have the system verify that the zip # and my credit card number match up then surely, if we wanted to, we could overcome these artificial barriers to letting people vote.

Eight states currently have some form of Election Day voter registration: Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Wyoming, and Washington DC. Montana began Election Day voter registration in 2006, and Iowa in 2008. Connecticut and Rhode Island also have Election Day registration for presidential elections. In 2012, Connecticut and California both enacted new laws to implement Election Day Registration. Connecticut starts with its municipal elections in 2013. California will start in 2015 once it has implemented its statewide voter registration database. (North Dakota, unique among the states, has no voter registration requirement at all.)
Newly popular early voting programs sometimes work in concert with Registration-Day voting. While not allowing registration on Election Day itself (the last day to vote), the states of Ohio and North Carolina offer a "one-stop" voting period where voters can register and then vote early.[2]
Voter turnout is much higher in states using Election Day registration than in states that do not. In the 2004 presidential election, voter turnout in same-day voter registration states was 12 percent higher than states that did not;[3] in the 2006 midterm elections, states with same-day voter registration had turnout rates 10-12 percent higher than in other states.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Election_Day_voter_registration

78Personal ID for Voting - Page 4 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/22/2014, 9:37 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Chrissy wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:An education is the key to making a Democracy work.... Including everyone obviously isn't working anymore because all we have is people electing others that guarantee a handout. I'm giving my students an American citizenship test starting Friday thru the weekend just to show them what others , who are beating he door down to live here, have to go through to get to stay legally. Also, to highlight their lack of knowledge on their own country.

An education is the key to making a democracy work? I guess for the right wing fundamentalists that education would exclude knowledge of scientific principals and known science such as the age of the earth etc. ?

As for requiring a high school education goes what do you do about 18 year olds who haven't graduated yet? Guess they have to wait until the next election? That doesn't seem right either.

Conservatives are strong advocates of sciences. everyone knows that all the liberal arts classes are full of well, liberals lol

I said fundamentalists in particular, you know, the ones who think dinosaurs and people existed at the same time on the planet? Many are anti-science and seem to glorify ignorance relying on quotes from the Bible that have nothing to do with science.

79Personal ID for Voting - Page 4 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/22/2014, 10:04 pm

othershoe1030 wrote:
Chrissy wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

I said fundamentalists in particular, you know, the ones who think dinosaurs and people existed at the same time on the planet? Many are anti-science and seem to glorify ignorance relying on quotes from the Bible that have nothing to do with science.

personally, we really cant say what all existed when. Im not very familiar with this group of people, maybe you can educate me on their theory. it cant be any more non scientific as thinking evolution explains theory of origin of life.

80Personal ID for Voting - Page 4 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/23/2014, 1:43 am

QueenOfHearts wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:I personally have no issue in showing a photo ID to a poll worker. It would be a bit much if they also required a certified copy of birth certificate, passport, or other form of identification that people do not normally carry on their persons.

The ongoing discussions simply involve picture identification to be presented at the polls.  I want to find out why some think this is restrictive.

http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/id-cards.php

In Florida, the requirements for a valid photo ID card fall under the REAL ID Act and are exactly the same as for a driver's license.  The fee is $25, and that's on top of the costs incurred to get certified copies of any documents that might be needed.  The state also requires 2 documents to verify FL residency. If a person is renting  a room, paying cash, they have no lease or mortgage papers to present.  If a person is unemployed, they will have no W2.  Some may not even know what a 1099 is, much less have one to present.

A voter registration card is accepted as valid proof of FL residency. Requiring a FL ID to get a FL voter registration creates a conundrum.

Personally, I don't mind showing my driver's license when I vote.  Another person in my polling district has my name, so the ID ensures that we sign on the correct line before we get our ballots.  But one year I had to show proof of residence (utility bill) and I thought that was excessive.  

If the REAL ID Act existed back in the 70's and I had to pay for all my documents, I would have been unable to do so unless I didn't buy groceries or didn't pay my utilities.  When you're poor, you do what you have to do and that usually means food takes precedence.

81Personal ID for Voting - Page 4 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/23/2014, 2:36 am

jose balu wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:You know, most of the people on this forum have no idea what a poor persons life is like. I worked for a charity that resold donated goods and is very famous around the country. I won't say which one,however, it is a very profitable business to the tune of 18-20 million a year just for the small area it served. I was middle management but the people who worked in the stores made minimum wage and they were POOR.  They made up the majority of the employees and I learned what it's like to be that poor. They were offered health insurance but most couldn't afford to pay the $30 copay to see the Dr.They came to work sick and exhausted.They drove raggedy cars that broke down all the time or took the bus and walked and often couldn't pay their rent or utilities in the same month.Many years I bought x-mas presents for employees kids who otherwise would have nothing on x-mas day. So laughing about them not be able to afford ID even for $25 is very ignorant of a world you have no clue about. I learned to appreciate and respect these people whose daily lives was a struggle just to provide the basics. They worked very hard for that little bit of money and their struggles were real and heartbreaking. Getting an ID to vote was the least of their worries and money spent for something they couldn't eat. Walk a mile in their shoes and then talk about how easy it is to do something.
Personally, I have been that poor.
And my family stayed clothed and fed, even tho most months I had about 50 buck for food for 4 of us. No food stamps or welfare. No disability. No insurance. You do what you need to do. And we got through it.
(this was the mid 90's)

And I have always had a legal ID.

I'm not sure how you fed 4 people on $50 a month even in the 90's but you were not eating too good, that's for sure.

82Personal ID for Voting - Page 4 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/23/2014, 9:46 am

Dreamsglore wrote:

I'm not sure how you fed 4 people on $50 a month even in the 90's but you were not eating too good, that's for sure.
Honestly, it was very hard. EVERYTHING was made from scratch. We ate  little meat, or fresh produce. But we stayed healthy, and never went hungry.
This lasted for nearly a year. & then my hubby's accident happened. After that we qualified for food stamps. but got no other help.

You do what you have to do.

In 2001 when the store I worked in closed, we lived on $800.00 a month for about 8 months while I got training for my next job. Did not get any help from state or fed at that time either. (except, they did pay for my training)
We did fine then, too.
Hard does not mean impossible. You just gotta use your brains, and get rid of ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that is not essential.

83Personal ID for Voting - Page 4 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/23/2014, 9:49 am

Dreamsglore wrote:
jose balu wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:You know, most of the people on this forum have no idea what a poor persons life is like. I worked for a charity that resold donated goods and is very famous around the country. I won't say which one,however, it is a very profitable business to the tune of 18-20 million a year just for the small area it served. I was middle management but the people who worked in the stores made minimum wage and they were POOR.  They made up the majority of the employees and I learned what it's like to be that poor. They were offered health insurance but most couldn't afford to pay the $30 copay to see the Dr.They came to work sick and exhausted.They drove raggedy cars that broke down all the time or took the bus and walked and often couldn't pay their rent or utilities in the same month.Many years I bought x-mas presents for employees kids who otherwise would have nothing on x-mas day. So laughing about them not be able to afford ID even for $25 is very ignorant of a world you have no clue about. I learned to appreciate and respect these people whose daily lives was a struggle just to provide the basics. They worked very hard for that little bit of money and their struggles were real and heartbreaking. Getting an ID to vote was the least of their worries and money spent for something they couldn't eat. Walk a mile in their shoes and then talk about how easy it is to do something.
Personally, I have been that poor.
And my family stayed clothed and fed, even tho most months I had about 50 buck for food for 4 of us. No food stamps or welfare. No disability. No insurance. You do what you need to do. And we got through it.
(this was the mid 90's)

$50 worth of food 20 years ago bought as much as 200 these days. and maybe his family isn't as fat as you.

84Personal ID for Voting - Page 4 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/23/2014, 9:55 am

Chrissy wrote:

$50 worth of food 20 years ago bought as much as 200 these days. and maybe his family isn't as fat as you.

I'm a 'she', and 50 bucks didn't buy much, even back then, to feed a family of 4.
But no, we're not any kind of fat. Now my hubby weighs more, due to his meds, but he eats much, MUCH less.

85Personal ID for Voting - Page 4 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/23/2014, 10:11 am

by 2seaoat Yesterday at 9:29 am

If the intent is only an id, it should be during the voter registration process, and a simple camera and photo ends this debate. When you register, they have your photo. When they are asking folks for specific IDs, this gives the discretion on election day to take somebody's right to vote......if the Id was incorporated in the registration, there would not be denial of voting on election day and problem is solved.

This is Jim crow poll tax and literacy test with exactly the same intent....to deny access to voters. The courts will universally deny the voter id because there are methods of registration of voters which can involve attachment of a photo which puts no burden on voters, and does not allow denial on election day.......now if that became the standard, those who want to deny folks would disappear as would this non issue.

Ignorance abounds if folks on this forum cannot understand the i ntent of the id laws to solve a non existent problem.
---------
The only ignorance here is the fact that the left wants dead people, non citizens and every other no qualified person to shoe up at the polls to keep voting themselves a piece of the treasury.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum