Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Personal ID for Voting

+7
TEOTWAWKI
The Dude
2seaoat
no stress
Sal
ZVUGKTUBM
QueenOfHearts
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

51Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 10:20 pm

no stress

no stress

I think Joanie hit the nail on the head. Any person that has the means to get to the polls to vote certainly should also have the ability to obtain an ID. The mere use of the excuse that "they don't have the ability or funds to get one" in this day and age is laughable.

52Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 10:50 pm

knothead

knothead

Gunz wrote:I think Joanie hit the nail on the head.  Any person that has the means to get to the polls to vote certainly should also have the ability to obtain an ID.   The mere use of the excuse that "they don't have the ability or funds to get one" in this day and age is laughable.

What is more laughable is the so-called motive here . . . it's a solution looking for a problem.

53Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 10:58 pm

no stress

no stress

knothead wrote:
Gunz wrote:I think Joanie hit the nail on the head.  Any person that has the means to get to the polls to vote certainly should also have the ability to obtain an ID.   The mere use of the excuse that "they don't have the ability or funds to get one" in this day and age is laughable.

What is more laughable is the so-called motive here . . . it's a solution looking for a problem.
Its called being proactive. Maybe its not a big issue for some but like I said, if one person commits voter fraud than the entire system is flawed. When there comes a time when voter fraud is more prevalent then everyone will be crying "why didn't we make everyone use ID!"

54Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 11:18 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

knothead wrote:

What is your motive?

55Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 11:31 pm

Sal

Sal

I don't know what's more offensive ....

.... not caring that this segment of the electorate is being systematic targeted for disenfranchisement, or pretending they don't even exist. 

The modern day "conservative" movement in as spiteful, cold-hearted, and unpatriotic as any movement in American history. 

56Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 11:46 pm

Sal wrote:I don't know what's more offensive ....

.... not caring that this segment of the electorate is being systematic targeted for disenfranchisement, or pretending they don't even exist. 

The modern day "conservative" movement in as spiteful, cold-hearted, and unpatriotic as any movement in American history. 

The only thing offensive about this is seeing idiots that buy into this. It clearly shows that there are portions of our society that just do not think at all but even prefer to have the Gov do that for them too. And that is offensive to a civilized nation.

57Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 11:56 pm

2seaoat

I think that people either have not voted, or unfamiliar with how we get registered to vote. I am not upset with positive identification with utility bills, lease, deeds, etc at the time of registering a voter. What I do not want on the day of the election somebody taking the right to vote away from a citizen. There are easy solutions using an ipad and camera when registering a voter.....problem solved and no election day shenanigans.

58Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 11:58 pm

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:I think that people either have not voted, or unfamiliar with how we get registered to vote.  I am not upset with positive identification with utility bills, lease, deeds, etc at the time of registering a voter.  What I do not want on the day of the election somebody taking the right to vote away from a citizen.  There are easy solutions using an ipad and camera when registering a voter.....problem solved and no election day shenanigans.

Or we could have a national ID, and you can produce your papers, mother fucker. 

59Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/22/2014, 12:07 am

2seaoat

I want a photo at time of voter registration, so that on election day no voter can be turned away. I am not sure about a national id.......but I think any restriction or check on election day takes rights away.

60Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/22/2014, 3:56 am

You know, most of the people on this forum have no idea what a poor persons life is like. I worked for a charity that resold donated goods and is very famous around the country. I won't say which one,however, it is a very profitable business to the tune of 18-20 million a year just for the small area it served. I was middle management but the people who worked in the stores made minimum wage and they were POOR. They made up the majority of the employees and I learned what it's like to be that poor. They were offered health insurance but most couldn't afford to pay the $30 copay to see the Dr.They came to work sick and exhausted.They drove raggedy cars that broke down all the time or took the bus and walked and often couldn't pay their rent or utilities in the same month.Many years I bought x-mas presents for employees kids who otherwise would have nothing on x-mas day. So laughing about them not be able to afford ID even for $25 is very ignorant of a world you have no clue about. I learned to appreciate and respect these people whose daily lives was a struggle just to provide the basics. They worked very hard for that little bit of money and their struggles were real and heartbreaking. Getting an ID to vote was the least of their worries and money spent for something they couldn't eat. Walk a mile in their shoes and then talk about how easy it is to do something.

61Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/22/2014, 7:25 am

knothead

knothead

What is your motive?

In a word joani I would simply reply fairness and reasonableness when fashioning standards affecting ALL citizens' rights to cast a vote. Setting this topic in an isolated debate without context, your position has some merit but the optics of the INTENT of implementing policies such as this paints a grim picture of the depths of resentment within the GOP leadership across our land. In this day and age there must be a more effective method of verifying ones' identity without placing unnecessary impediments in a wholesale manner to discourage a huge segment of our citizens right to vote. There is not a single voice within the GOP that is willing to stand up for that segment of our society who is being under represented but are willing to support continuing impediments in the hopes that by doing so they can maintain their hold on power.

62Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/22/2014, 10:04 am

Dreamsglore wrote:You know, most of the people on this forum have no idea what a poor persons life is like. I worked for a charity that resold donated goods and is very famous around the country. I won't say which one,however, it is a very profitable business to the tune of 18-20 million a year just for the small area it served. I was middle management but the people who worked in the stores made minimum wage and they were POOR.  They made up the majority of the employees and I learned what it's like to be that poor. They were offered health insurance but most couldn't afford to pay the $30 copay to see the Dr.They came to work sick and exhausted.They drove raggedy cars that broke down all the time or took the bus and walked and often couldn't pay their rent or utilities in the same month.Many years I bought x-mas presents for employees kids who otherwise would have nothing on x-mas day. So laughing about them not be able to afford ID even for $25 is very ignorant of a world you have no clue about. I learned to appreciate and respect these people whose daily lives was a struggle just to provide the basics. They worked very hard for that little bit of money and their struggles were real and heartbreaking. Getting an ID to vote was the least of their worries and money spent for something they couldn't eat. Walk a mile in their shoes and then talk about how easy it is to do something.
Personally, I have been that poor.
And my family stayed clothed and fed, even tho most months I had about 50 buck for food for 4 of us. No food stamps or welfare. No disability. No insurance. You do what you need to do. And we got through it.
(this was the mid 90's)

And I have always had a legal ID.

63Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/22/2014, 10:29 am

2seaoat

And I have always had a legal ID.

If the intent is only an id, it should be during the voter registration process, and a simple camera and photo ends this debate. When you register, they have your photo. When they are asking folks for specific IDs, this gives the discretion on election day to take somebody's right to vote......if the Id was incorporated in the registration, there would not be denial of voting on election day and problem is solved.

This is Jim crow poll tax and literacy test with exactly the same intent....to deny access to voters. The courts will universally deny the voter id because there are methods of registration of voters which can involve attachment of a photo which puts no burden on voters, and does not allow denial on election day.......now if that became the standard, those who want to deny folks would disappear as would this non issue.

Ignorance abounds if folks on this forum cannot understand the i ntent of the id laws to solve a non existent problem.

64Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/22/2014, 10:34 am

knothead

knothead

2seaoat wrote:And I have always had a legal ID.

If the intent is only an id, it should be during the voter registration process, and a simple camera and photo ends this debate.  When you register, they have your photo.   When they are asking folks for specific IDs, this gives the discretion on election day to take somebody's right to vote......if the Id was incorporated in the registration, there would not be denial of voting on election day and problem is solved.

This is Jim crow poll tax and literacy test with exactly the same intent....to deny access to voters.  The courts will universally deny the voter id because there are methods of registration of voters which can involve attachment of a photo which puts no burden on voters, and does not allow denial on election day.......now if that became the standard, those who want to deny folks would disappear as would this non issue.

Ignorance abounds if folks on this forum cannot understand the intent of the id laws to solve a non existent problem.

Completely agree SO . . .

65Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/22/2014, 11:00 am

Here (Oregon) we vote through the mail. ID is not an issue at the time of voting. But they check each and every signature, to make sure it matches the ones that are on file. They throw out any that don't match.

I agree that they could do ID at the time of registration, as you suggest.
I think that's a terrific idea. Stop all the bitching. . . or at least some of it Smile

66Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/22/2014, 11:30 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

There are sgencies that will provide a photo ID and waive any fees.

I agree with Seaoat that the voter registration should include the photo ID. As I stated before...a photo ID is required in so many situations I still do not understand how individuals get by with never having to show ID or the inability to get to a location that will provide a free photo ID.

We had a thread on here months ago.....people listed situations where a photo ID must be shown.....it was a long list.

I understand indigent and have worked to help many. I also remember the days of the elderly and not so elderly being so illiterate their legal signature was an X. Even with their inability to read they worked, got around and survived. You did not even realize they couldn't read unless they told you. They are resiliant.

67Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/22/2014, 3:52 pm

The only place in Escambia Co. that help people w/ ID"s is the Washburn Center and that help is very limited due to funds.

68Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/22/2014, 5:03 pm

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Maybe some of these social services agencies should be doing something to help poor people get photo identification. Nothing to do with voting, but with all the issues regarding identity theft and the requirements for identification nowadays. It would be a shame for someone to go without a service simply because they did not have proper ID.

69Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/22/2014, 6:46 pm

QueenOfHearts wrote:Maybe some of these social services agencies should be doing something to help poor people get photo identification.  Nothing to do with voting, but with all the issues regarding identity theft and the requirements for identification nowadays.  It would be a shame for someone to go without a service simply because they did not have proper ID.

facts are, there are not that many people who are in the country legally that don't have a ID. Because there is no way they could function. except criminals I suppose.

70Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/22/2014, 8:00 pm

The Dude

The Dude

Chrissy wrote:
QueenOfHearts wrote:Maybe some of these social services agencies should be doing something to help poor people get photo identification.  Nothing to do with voting, but with all the issues regarding identity theft and the requirements for identification nowadays.  It would be a shame for someone to go without a service simply because they did not have proper ID.

facts are, there are not that many people who are in the country legally that don't have a ID.  Because there is no way they could function. except criminals I suppose.

The FACTS are that in North Carolina between 2004 and 2010 there were 2 reported voter fraud instances in which millions voted, North Carolina being having just passed one of the most restrictive voter laws in the country, clearly this is
Not about voter fraud.

71Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Bi partison committee 1/22/2014, 8:08 pm

The Dude

The Dude

The Presidents bi partison committee's report on the problems of huge lines to vote around the country is in. If u recall there were often 6 hour waits to vote in the last presidential election. Including a 101 year old woman who waited some 4hours or more.

The findings:

Expand use of schools as a voting place
Expand early voting
Use online registration
More bi lingual pollsters

In Florida over 200,000 voters had to leave the polls due to six hour waits and not vote.

Why is this interesting? Because in the states now enacting stricter voting guidelines some of these very suggestions are being done away with like early voting. This, in spite of nearly zero voter fraud, and that fraud according to the panel is almost always absentee voting, not those at the polls.

So without any doubt there is an ulterior motive for this new push to restrict access to the polls, not only through requiring photo id's, but also in restricting early voting, on line registration and multi lingual pollsters. All these are going on at once,

The question is why and which party thinks they would benefit most?

Footnote:  the bi partisan committee's recommendations were unanimous within the committee

Last edited by The Dude on 1/22/2014, 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

72Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/22/2014, 8:24 pm

The Dude wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

facts are, there are not that many people who are in the country legally that don't have a ID.  Because there is no way they could function. except criminals I suppose.

The FACTS are that in North Carolina between 2004 and 2010 there were 2 reported voter fraud instances in which millions voted, North Carolina being having just passed one of the most restrictive voter laws in the country, clearly this is
Not about voter fraud.

you assume all fraud is caught... lol very funny dude you are.

facts are for you lefty is that this isn't about poor people and you know it. its about cheating. and yes all those dead people that vote, cartoon characters, illegals etc

why do you have a problem with people having to have a ID to vote. don't answer, I already know, because you are a cheater.

73Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/22/2014, 8:40 pm

Chrissy wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

Not about voter fraud.

facts are for you lefty is that this isn't about poor people and you know it. its about cheating. and yes all those dead people that vote, cartoon characters, illegals etc

why do you have a problem with people having to have a ID to vote. don't answer, I already know, because you are a cheater.

One of the main reasons you are a moron is because of dumb responses like this. There are more,though.

74Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/22/2014, 9:09 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

PACEDOG#1 wrote:An education is the key to making a Democracy work.... Including everyone obviously isn't working anymore because all we have is people electing others that guarantee a handout. I'm giving my students an American citizenship test starting Friday thru the weekend just to show them what others , who are beating he door down to live here, have to go through to get to stay legally. Also, to highlight their lack of knowledge on their own country.

An education is the key to making a democracy work? I guess for the right wing fundamentalists that education would exclude knowledge of scientific principals and known science such as the age of the earth etc. ?

As for requiring a high school education goes what do you do about 18 year olds who haven't graduated yet? Guess they have to wait until the next election? That doesn't seem right either.

75Personal ID for Voting - Page 3 Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/22/2014, 9:31 pm

Dreamsglore wrote:
Chrissy wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

Not about voter fraud.

One of the main reasons you are a moron is because of dumb responses like this. There are more,though.

Rolling Eyes 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum