Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Personal ID for Voting

+7
TEOTWAWKI
The Dude
2seaoat
no stress
Sal
ZVUGKTUBM
QueenOfHearts
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Personal ID for Voting Empty Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 2:15 am

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

This is an honest attempt at a civil conversation. Try to refrain from all the snarky comments simply based on who you're talking to.

Why is there such an issue regarding identification being required for voting? It is easy to get an ID. Kids can even get ID. You are required to produce picture ID for almost everything -- making purchases, obtaining services, receiving medical treatment, driving a car, etc. There are a lot of times you are required to prove your identity.

So what is the big deal? Why do "they" say requiring identification to vote would make it harder for blacks to vote? Blacks are able to obtain identification as easily as whites. They need it for the same reasons whites

2Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 2:19 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I personally have no issue in showing a photo ID to a poll worker. It would be a bit much if they also required a certified copy of birth certificate, passport, or other form of identification that people do not normally carry on their persons.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

3Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 2:26 am

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:I personally have no issue in showing a photo ID to a poll worker. It would be a bit much if they also required a certified copy of birth certificate, passport, or other form of identification that people do not normally carry on their persons.

The ongoing discussions simply involve picture identification to be presented at the polls. I want to find out why some think this is restrictive.

4Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 2:41 am

I don't think it's restrictive. I have to show ID at the polls. I think everyone should.

5Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 7:23 am

Sal

Sal

Fine, let's be civil ...

1) Voter ID is a violation of the Voting Rights Act

2) Study after study has shown that Voter ID disproportionately disenfranchises inner-city, impoverished, African-Americans

3) Republicans have publicly admitted on numerous occasions that the intent of Voter ID is to suppress minority voting

4) There is no serious data suggesting that voter fraud is a problem or influences elections

Republicans have no chance of winning national elections due to their anti-black, anti-women, anti-gay, anti-anything-other-than-rich-straight-white-dude agenda.

Their solution - disenfranchise.

Meet the new boss.

6Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 8:23 am

no stress

no stress

If only one individual has the ability and casts multiple votes then the system is flawed. Showing an ID does not violate the voter rights act or it would have been challenged and thrown out by the states that allow it. Some solution has to be proposed so that an individual cannot vote more than once.

7Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 8:25 am

2seaoat

The issue is what is going to happen when the voter comes to the poll. If there is any restriction, they will lose their RIGHT to vote. When registering a voter, I have no problem with requesting utility bills and some type of ID. If the person does not have it, they can get what is necessary the next day, and then simply issue a voter registration card. If having a photo on the voter registration is required, then simply have folks who are registering snap a photo and then print the photo registration and give it to the voter.

Now the most important part. I lose my voter registration on election day.....no big deal, just pull the name from the database and get a digital image for the folks who give out the ballot on election day and they have no basis to deny a voter their right to vote.

There is no statistical significant voter id fraud, and the state of Iowa prosecuted and convicted five people out of two million and four of those people had felonies, and one mother mailed in her daughter's ballot who had moved from the state. The intent of these regulations is to take the right to vote from minorities. During Jim Crow it was literacy tests and poll taxes to restrict voting and this process of impairing the right to vote on election day is nothing new.

8Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 8:34 am

2seaoat

If only one individual has the ability and casts multiple votes then the system is flawed. Showing an ID does not violate the voter rights act or it would have been challenged and thrown out by the states that allow it. Some solution has to be proposed so that an individual cannot vote more than once.

This problem of multiple votes by individuals has never been found in all the research on this issue. A person risks a felony and the upside for the person committing the fraud is only a handful of votes and a great deal of risk. The voter registration database will pick up multiple registrations of an individual, and this then would require a person to set up multiple false ids.......a problem even in Iowa which was not found in one case out of the two million. The only real case which came close was the mother who sent in her daughter's mailed ballot, and she was convicted. It did not involve a false id.

This is a solution without a problem. It is a solution meant to restrict minority voters, and if you think the hassle getting a drivers license is all about illegal aliens, you are not paying attention. It is designed to hassle poor and minority folks who simply give up trying to get the documentation and in the process lose their constitutional guaranteed right to vote.......this whole issue is not debatable when one side has repeatedly stated that their goal is to restrict voting.

9Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 9:15 am

It's odd that the few things the fed govt is required to do it avoids as much as able...

and things it has no business in it will use any means necessary to take over and control.

10Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 10:22 am

The Dude

The Dude

Gunz wrote:If only one individual has the ability and casts multiple votes then the system is flawed.  Showing an ID does not violate the voter rights act or it would have been challenged and thrown out by the states that allow it.  Some solution has to be proposed so that an individual cannot vote more than once.

Actually requiring a photo is has been challenges in many of the states that required it and in every one i read was thrown out. The act is complicated and parts were overturned by the Supreme Court.

States with histories of discrimination are under even more stringent requirements than others.

11Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 10:27 am

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Why is it so hard for some people to obtain photo ID? It is easy to get; we need it for everything.

If the answer is "I don't have to show ID, this is my right" I get that. I am just at a loss to understand why obtaining an ID is supposedly so hard for some people.

12Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 10:45 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Some folks are too stupid to get a photo ID BUT they should still have the right to vote for the leadership of a nation.

13Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 10:50 am

Sal

Sal

QueenOfHearts wrote:Why is it so hard for some people to obtain photo ID?  It is easy to get; we need it for everything.

If the answer is "I don't have to show ID, this is my right" I get that.  I am just at a loss to understand why obtaining an ID is supposedly so hard for some people.

There are many reasons it's harder for impoverished, inner-city residents to obtain state sanctioned photo ID - from the fact that there are far less DMV offices in their areas, to the fact they're too busy trying to feed themselves to battle the bureaucracy, to the onerous restrictions some states (like FLA) are placing in the path of obtaining ID, to the fact that many of the inner city impoverished simply lack the paper work to obtain the ID.

But, all of that is actually irrelevant.

If the end result of the ID laws is to disenfranchise minorities through no fault of their own, the laws are unconstitutional.

And, that is precisely what these laws are designed to do.

14Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 10:53 am

Sal

Sal

Some folks are so stupid they move into FEMA trailers in the sticks and hoard guns because they think black people are going to play the knockout game on them and the government is trying to control their minds with flouride, BUT they should still have the right to vote for the leadership of a nation.

15Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 11:08 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:
QueenOfHearts wrote:Why is it so hard for some people to obtain photo ID?  It is easy to get; we need it for everything.

If the answer is "I don't have to show ID, this is my right" I get that.  I am just at a loss to understand why obtaining an ID is supposedly so hard for some people.

There are many reasons it's harder for impoverished, inner-city residents to obtain state sanctioned photo ID - from the fact that there are far less DMV offices in their areas, to the fact they're too busy trying to feed themselves to battle the bureaucracy, to the onerous restrictions some states (like FLA) are placing in the path of obtaining ID, to the fact that many of the inner city impoverished simply lack the paper work to obtain the ID.

If the end result of the ID laws is to disenfranchise minorities through no fault of their own, the laws are unconstitutional.

How do these impoverised individuals get around other aspects of life requiring a photo ID?

16Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 11:39 am

Getting a ID does NOT disproportionally affect poor blacks. FACT, by the numbers thier are more poor whites. So if youre using the argument that it hurts POOR people, then your argument is flawed and incorrect.

You MUST have a ID to get health insurance which is MANDATED.

So its obvious the only reason to not want people to get a ID to vote is that you wish for people to cheat.

17Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 11:52 am

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Joanimaroni wrote:
Sal wrote:

How do these impoverised individuals get around other aspects of life requiring a photo ID?

That is what I am asking. If I want to cash my paycheck or disability check or welfare check, I need ID. If I want to buy groceries or receive free food, I need ID. If pick up a prescription, whether I pay for it or if it is through public assistance, I need ID. If I accept a job, I need ID. If I apply for public assistance, I need ID. Whether I go to a private physician or a free clinic, I need ID.

I just cannot figure out how anyone can get along in life without personal identification.

18Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 12:24 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Sal wrote:Some folks are so stupid they move into FEMA trailers in the sticks and hoard guns because they think black people are going to play the knockout game on them and the government is trying to control their minds with flouride, BUT they should still have the right to vote for the leadership of a nation.

I have a great life and I hope you get your collective POS country to live in because then you might just see what a raving clown you are.

19Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 1:45 pm

The fact of the matter is, it is difficult for low income people to get ID. I think everybody should have one but it is much more difficult to get one when you're poor. Fifty dollars is a lot of money to a poor person not to mention when you have to get certified copies of your BC and other documents.
As far as having to have one to get health insurance that is incorrect. People who get welfare and disability no longer cash checks. It is all deposited in a bank or savings account.

20Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 2:00 pm

Dreamsglore wrote:The fact of the matter is, it is difficult for low income people to get ID. I think everybody should have one but it is much more difficult to get one when you're poor. Fifty dollars is a lot of money to a poor person not to mention when you have to get certified copies of your BC and other documents.
As far as having to have one to get health insurance that is incorrect. People who get welfare and disability no longer cash checks. It is all deposited in a bank or savings account.

You WILL have to have an ID to get Obamacare services. I want the Feds to pay for the IDs too. That way the whining about the unfairness of it can end. It's not $50 for an ID either at the local driver's license office.

21Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 2:19 pm

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Dreamsglore wrote:The fact of the matter is, it is difficult for low income people to get ID. I think everybody should have one but it is much more difficult to get one when you're poor. Fifty dollars is a lot of money to a poor person not to mention when you have to get certified copies of your BC and other documents.

You could not open a bank account without ID. You have to provide ID to get the public assistance or disability in the first place.

I think if I respond with, "I don't have an ID," there's going to be a lot of daily, ordinary services that won't be available to me.

22Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 2:27 pm

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

QueenOfHearts wrote:This is an honest attempt at a civil conversation.  Try to refrain from all the snarky comments simply based on who you're talking to.

Why is there such an issue regarding identification being required for voting?  It is easy to get an ID.  Kids can even get ID.  You are required to produce picture ID for almost everything -- making purchases, obtaining services, receiving medical treatment, driving a car, etc. There are a lot of times you are required to prove your identity.

So what is the big deal?  Why do "they" say requiring identification to vote would make it harder for blacks to vote?  Blacks are able to obtain identification as easily as whites.  They need  it for the same reasons whites

Here's part of the "big deal" -- see the other thread in this forum which bemoans the ridiculous new requirements foisted on women who seek to renew or obtain a driver's license. Birth certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates, divorce decrees, name change data including proof of one's maiden name, etc.

Poor people often don't have the required documentation to obtain an I.D. and both the costs and time and effort required to get them easily make such people victims of voting inequities.

Finally, there is no voter fraud problem. Look at the statistics -- such violations are almost unknown across all States.

First and last, the new requirements for voter ID are simply an unethical way for the white man's party of no to counter the fact that they won't get minority or poor people's votes. As usual, it's a scam designed by people who describe themselves as patriots but in reality, are simply crooks who gerrymander and do their best to control who can vote in America.

Reality!

23Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 2:44 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Wordslinger wrote:
QueenOfHearts wrote:This is an honest attempt at a civil conversation.  Try to refrain from all the snarky comments simply based on who you're talking to.

Why is there such an issue regarding identification being required for voting?  It is easy to get an ID.  Kids can even get ID.  You are required to produce picture ID for almost everything -- making purchases, obtaining services, receiving medical treatment, driving a car, etc. There are a lot of times you are required to prove your identity.

So what is the big deal?  Why do "they" say requiring identification to vote would make it harder for blacks to vote?  Blacks are able to obtain identification as easily as whites.  They need  it for the same reasons whites

Here's part of the "big deal" -- see the other thread in this forum which bemoans the ridiculous new requirements foisted on women who seek to renew or obtain a driver's license.  Birth certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates, divorce decrees, name change data including proof of one's maiden name, etc.

Poor people often don't have the required documentation to obtain an I.D. and both the costs and time and effort required to get them easily make such people victims of voting inequities.

Finally, there is no voter fraud problem.  Look at the statistics -- such violations are almost unknown across all States.

First and last, the new requirements for voter ID are simply an unethical way for the white man's party of no to counter the fact that they won't get minority or poor people's votes.  As usual, it's a scam designed by people who describe themselves as patriots but in reality, are simply crooks who gerrymander and do their best to control who can vote in America.

Reality!

How do these very poor people get through other avenues that require a photo ID?

24Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 3:05 pm

Sal

Sal

QueenOfHearts wrote:

You could not open a bank account without ID.  You have to provide ID to get the public assistance or disability in the first place.

I think if I respond with, "I don't have an ID," there's going to be a lot of daily, ordinary services that won't be available to me.

That's simply not the case.

You can obtain public assistance online with nothing more than your social security number.

Many of these people have their checks direct deposited into bank accounts.

There are many elderly African-Americans (especially in the South) who were never even issued birth certificates.

To deny that these people exist is shameful.

Study after study has shown that there are literally millions of Americans who lack the required ID to vote under these laws.

There is no law requiring ID in America, but there is a law against barring access to the polls to eligible voters.

25Personal ID for Voting Empty Re: Personal ID for Voting 1/21/2014, 3:39 pm

knothead

knothead

How do these very poor people get through other avenues that require a photo ID?

joani, in regards to your above post you are comparing apples with oranges or at least in my mind. "Other avenues" to use your description are not necessarily guaranteed in the Constitution while voting is in fact a right derived from it. Laws passed in predominantly red states imposing these requirements are telling in what they deem as totally reasonable but the unspoken motive is plain as day . . . . to deny or restrict many in our nation their right to cast a vote.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum