Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

VA disability claims for sleep apnea skyrocket to over $1.2 billion per year

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

2seaoat

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/04/va-disability-claims-for-sleep-apnea-skyrocket-in-recent-years/

the number of sleep apnea cases represents a small fraction of disability compensation claims. In 2012, nearly 14.5 million total veterans were receiving disability compensation, that year 114,103 were receiving payments for sleep apnea.

14.5 million veterans receiving disability compensation........I think we need politicians to realize that war is very very very expensive, and the costs for excursions can last 50 years beyond the initial actions.

To see a veteran who has lost a limb......and then to see a veteran who is snoring getting 50% disability.......Houston.....I think we have a problem. The problem is that anybody who looks at these disability claims is going to be considered anti veteran.

What's the difference between a fraudulent VA claim and a fraudulent SS disability claim? None! Only it's military people.

2seaoat wrote:http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/04/va-disability-claims-for-sleep-apnea-skyrocket-in-recent-years/

the number of sleep apnea cases represents a small fraction of disability compensation claims. In 2012, nearly 14.5 million total veterans were receiving disability compensation, that year 114,103 were receiving payments for sleep apnea.

14.5 million veterans receiving disability compensation........I think we need politicians to realize that war is very very very expensive, and the costs for excursions can last 50 years beyond the initial actions.

To see a veteran who has lost a limb......and then to see a veteran who is snoring getting 50% disability.......Houston.....I think we have a problem. The problem is that anybody who looks at these disability claims is going to be considered anti veteran.

SeaOat, your post leads me to believe that you do not know anything about sleep apnea. As a sleep apnea sufferer it is a very dangerous issue. If you think that snoring is the issue, then you are dead wrong. Snoring is just one of the symptoms associated with apnea. The most dangerous symptom is the cessation of breathing during the sleep cycle. When I had my sleep study done, I had 183 episodes of breathing cessation. I would wake up sleepy and lethargic everyday and if was effecting my job performance as well as other things. CPAP IMHO is the best thing to come along sliced bread.

That being said, I cannot see how any service member can claim sleep apnea as a disability and to claim it as a service connected disability. With proper care, sleep apnea patients can lead normal everyday productive lives. But a disability, I think not.

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
2seaoat wrote:http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/04/va-disability-claims-for-sleep-apnea-skyrocket-in-recent-years/

SeaOat, your post leads me to believe that you do not know anything about sleep apnea. As a sleep apnea sufferer it is a very dangerous issue. If you think that snoring is the issue, then you are dead wrong. Snoring is just one of the symptoms associated with apnea. The most dangerous symptom is the cessation of breathing during the sleep cycle. When I had my sleep study done, I had 183 episodes of breathing cessation. I would wake up sleepy and lethargic everyday and if was effecting my job performance as well as other things. CPAP IMHO is the best thing to come along sliced bread.

That being said, I cannot see how any service member can claim sleep apnea as a disability and to claim it as a service connected disability. With proper care, sleep apnea patients can lead normal everyday productive lives. But a disability, I think not.

Right. If you can work then you do not need to be getting a disability check for a non service related issue

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I use a CPAP machine at night (for sleep apnea). Maybe I should go back to the VA to see what they will do for me.......

The VA covers a lot more than just wounded warriors, and veterans who wind up with strange medical diagnoses can be covered even if they never saw a day of combat.

I will say it is over the top for former USAF pilots to be flying for the airlines, passing regular flight-physicals, and claiming 50% disability from the VA for sleep apnea.

Having a VA disability rating does not preclude a veteran from being employed if they are able to work, however.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

I have a close high school friend who has battled it. I unfortunately shared a room with him on a golf trip. He would be slightly snoring when suddenly he was grasping for air and making violent loud snoring sounds. He has had surgery and he was able to get rid of his breathing machine.

I do not want to make light of his problems, but on subsequent golf trips, I always volunteered to sleep on the couch......about two hours after everybody had gone to bed.....without exception you would see people pulling a mattress into the kitchen or the bathtub just to get as far away from his issues. At times you think the person has died....stops breathing completely and then violently emits a loud snore. Regular snoring will develop a rhythm.......this is irregular and you simply cannot sleep in the room.

I agree on your comments on disability. My friend is 60 and he works 60 hour weeks and is quite productive. I do not understand completely the surgical procedure, but it involved shrinking and removing some tissue. It worked great for him........but I still will not share a room with him on a golf trip.

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:I use a CPAP machine at night (for sleep apnea). Maybe I should go back to the VA to see what they will do for me.......

The VA covers a lot more than just wounded warriors, and veterans who wind up with strange medical diagnoses can be covered even if they never saw a day of combat.

I will say it is over the top for former USAF pilots to be flying for the airlines, passing regular flight-physicals, and claiming 50% disability from the VA for sleep apnea.

Having a VA disability rating does not preclude a veteran from being employed if they are able to work, however.

I thought it had to be a service connected disability?

2seaoat wrote:I have a close high school friend who has battled it. I unfortunately shared a room with him on a golf trip. He would be slightly snoring when suddenly he was grasping for air and making violent loud snoring sounds. He has had surgery and he was able to get rid of his breathing machine.

I do not want to make light of his problems, but on subsequent golf trips, I always volunteered to sleep on the couch......about two hours after everybody had gone to bed.....without exception you would see people pulling a mattress into the kitchen or the bathtub just to get as far away from his issues. At times you think the person has died....stops breathing completely and then violently emits a loud snore. Regular snoring will develop a rhythm.......this is irregular and you simply cannot sleep in the room.

I agree on your comments on disability. My friend is 60 and he works 60 hour weeks and is quite productive. I do not understand completely the surgical procedure, but it involved shrinking and removing some tissue. It worked great for him........but I still will not share a room with him on a golf trip.

I also had the surgery(UPPP) before I went on CPAP and it did absolutely nothing for me. I still had bouts of breathing issues and the pain associated with that type of surgery was excruciating. I will never recommend it to anyone.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Dreamsglore wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:I use a CPAP machine at night (for sleep apnea). Maybe I should go back to the VA to see what they will do for me.......

The "service connection" is often very broadly interpreted. It also depends on what the medical condition is. I know someone who found out he had diabetes, and he was severenced out at about 16-years total service with no disability from the VA. A member dxd with something like MS likely would get a disability rating. The VA looks at so-called "Presumptive Diseases" differently. Those are progressive illnesses that eventually lead to total physical disability. They will rate the member 100% early so they don't have to keep re-evaluating them.

2seaoat

I will never recommend it to anyone.

It worked for him, zero side effects, and no machine........most of all......one happy wife. It had gotten so bad she would sleep in another room and close the door. I am curious....did you or z suffer from asthma as kids......he had battled it as a kid, and was wondering what they think causes this disease, and how could it possibly be connected to military service?

2seaoat wrote:I will never recommend it to anyone.

It worked for him, zero side effects, and no machine........most of all......one happy wife. It had gotten so bad she would sleep in another room and close the door. I am curious....did you or z suffer from asthma as kids......he had battled it as a kid, and was wondering what they think causes this disease, and how could it possibly be connected to military service?

I never have suffered from asthma so I don't know about that. But I agree, what could possibly be service connected about that.

My side effects were numerous. Besides the excruciating pain, I bled for days and days and had to be hospitalized again to stop the bleeding and all this time I was on a liquid, jello and ice cream diet.

Last edited by Ghost_Rider1 on 6/8/2013, 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

The "service connection" is often very broadly interpreted. It also depends on what the medical condition is. I know someone who found out he had diabetes, and he was severenced out at about 16-years total service with no disability from the VA. A member dxd with something like MS likely would get a disability rating. The VA looks at so-called "Presumptive Diseases" differently. Those are progressive illnesses that eventually lead to total physical disability. They will rate the member 100% early so they don't have to keep re-evaluating them.

This is where I think the military is wrong in their disability claims. I know a guy who gets 100% disability for 1 yr. of service in the Navy. He got rheumatoid arthritis and gets about $37000 w/ aids and dependence allotments. They handicapped his house and all his family gets medical and his children got their college paid for.

Nekochan

Nekochan

There are veterans who abuse the system. Makes me angry. It only makes it more difficult for those with valid disabilities.
I agree with you, Dreams. It should be somehow service connected to be considered a VA disability.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

My 28 yo nephew served 4 years out of a 6-year enlistment in the Navy, but was discharged in 2010 when he was found to have testicular cancer (it was treated and had gone into remission, but they said he was no longer deployable). Two years ago the cancer recurred in a lung, and my sister freaked out because her son had no medical coverage at the time. She was considering getting him back on her insurance, because he was still under 26 years of age, and the ACA made allowances for this. He ended up turning to the VA in San Diego, and they hospitalized and treated him, but then gave him a 100% disability rating, to boot. So, he is only 28 and will draw VA payments for life. His parents are very conservative Republicans--my sister hasn't really said much about this, though I know she was grateful that the VA cared for her son.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Doesn't sound right to me Z. Sad for such a young man, but how does the VA justify giving him 100% VA disability? My daddy lived with a German grenade in his chest (it nearly killed him) and I personally believe it caused a lot of his health problems. Oh, he also had PTSD, but no one talked much about it back then and I don't think he would have ever claimed that as a disability even if he could have. Sad, but true. But I think my dad's disability was only 20%.

In my first post though, I was more talking about people who outright fake disabilities. That really makes me angry.

VA disability claims for sleep apnea skyrocket to over $1.2 billion per year   Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXPfu4_TG3o-TXO_9XY28EXB6lmHcxadT-KahC8k-0HACCuB15

Veterans are given thorough medical exams prior to be being admitted into the various services.

If the member, and their immediate family, do not have a history of the developing medical condition that the service member is experiencing then it's hard to prove that it isn't a service related condition.

Not saying that there aren't fraudulent claims.

I'm saying that it's hard to prove that it isn't a service related condition.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQzUCO7rG0M

Smile

17VA disability claims for sleep apnea skyrocket to over $1.2 billion per year   Empty The Wussification of America 6/8/2013, 10:39 pm

Markle

Markle

The Wussification of America....

Sleep Apnea as a military disability.

America is being fully indoctrinated to be fully and completely dependent upon Government...to even sleep. How much worse is it going to get.

Self respect and personal responsibility are becoming a thing of the past.

Nekochan wrote:Doesn't sound right to me Z. Sad for such a young man, but how does the VA justify giving him 100% VA disability? My daddy lived with a German grenade in his chest (it nearly killed him) and I personally believe it caused a lot of his health problems. Oh, he also had PTSD, but no one talked much about it back then and I don't think he would have ever claimed that as a disability even if he could have. Sad, but true. But I think my dad's disability was only 20%.

In my first post though, I was more talking about people who outright fake disabilities. That really makes me angry.

Why was it in his chest? They couldn't get it out?

Nekochan

Nekochan

He was badly injured by a German grenade. It left pieces of it in his chest, some pieces were very near his heart. There was no way to get all the pieces out, so he lived with parts of the grenade in his chest until he died.

Nekochan wrote:He was badly injured by a German grenade. It left pieces of it in his chest, some pieces were very near his heart. There was no way to get all the pieces out, so he lived with parts of the grenade in his chest until he died.

And they only gave him 20% for that? People w/ sleep apnea are getting 50.I don't think people should be given a VA pension for a disease they were going to get anyway.

Markle

Markle

Damaged Eagle wrote:VA disability claims for sleep apnea skyrocket to over $1.2 billion per year   Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXPfu4_TG3o-TXO_9XY28EXB6lmHcxadT-KahC8k-0HACCuB15

Veterans are given thorough medical exams prior to be being admitted into the various services.

If the member, and their immediate family, do not have a history of the developing medical condition that the service member is experiencing then it's hard to prove that it isn't a service related condition.

*****SMILE*****

Smile

Been there, done that and got the "T" shirt. Never any question about sleep apnea. If anyone had claimed a disability for sleep apnea...well I can't even comprehend such a thing.

No, the government should not have to prove someone does NOT have a service related disability it is the responsibility of the service person.

My Ol' Man lost part of his left leg and hand and part of his hearing in the Battle of the Bulge. During his time on those front lines, if there was one, he earned three Bronze Stars and two Purple Hearts.

Every few years he was ordered to report to a VA hospital to be re-examined. They wanted to know if his disabilities had "healed". Yes, the VA wanted to know if his leg, hand and hearing had returned....

The same should be true, if it is not, about anyone on SSI Disability.

Is that being done today? If not why not? I have no problem giving all the help and aid possible to disabled or wounded veterans. I am bitter that if veterans who have never seen combat, never been in any of the battle areas, worked at a desk in Germany or Japan and have sleep apnea or some other cockamamie disability.

Markle wrote:
Been there, done that and got the "T" shirt. Never any question about sleep apnea. If anyone had claimed a disability for sleep apnea...well I can't even comprehend such a thing.

No, the government should not have to prove someone does NOT have a service related disability it is the responsibility of the service person.

My Ol' Man lost part of his left leg and hand and part of his hearing in the Battle of the Bulge. During his time on those front lines, if there was one, he earned three Bronze Stars and two Purple Hearts.

Every few years he was ordered to report to a VA hospital to be re-examined. They wanted to know if his disabilities had "healed". Yes, the VA wanted to know if his leg, hand and hearing had returned....

Is that being done today? If not why not? I have no problem giving all the help and aid possible to disabled or wounded veterans. I am bitter that if veterans who have never seen combat, never been in any of the battle areas, worked at a desk in Germany or Japan and have sleep apnea or some other cockamamie disability.

VA disability claims for sleep apnea skyrocket to over $1.2 billion per year   Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXPfu4_TG3o-TXO_9XY28EXB6lmHcxadT-KahC8k-0HACCuB15

I understand what you're saying... and I think you understand what I'm saying.

I had to go in several times to prove that my service related injuries but my disability is no where near 50% or higher and I had to almost them for what they did approve.

However as I said it's hard to prove that something isn't service related if it develops during your time in service if it didn't show up on the entry physical or medical (family) history screening. Hence the chance for those that really want to push to abuse the system.

On the other hand even if they did hold a desk job in some other part of the world they could have contracted or came into contact with something that did harm them. After all there are still places in Europe that are unhealthy to walk through even after nearly 60-100 years because of the crap they threw around in those wars.

I agree that SSDI recipients should be held more accountable and re-screened for their disability on a regular basis.

*****SMILE*****

Smile

2seaoat

I agree completely. When we freely declare everything to be a disability, we ultimately are taking legitimately injured people and decreasing their benefits to cover other questionable claims.

We need Congress to get to work. This crap has to be addressed by congress.

If a person has to go on welfare because of this disability.....so be it, but do not be giving out vet disability for these type of things.....Get to work Jeff and get this thing addressed.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Dreamsglore wrote:
Nekochan wrote:He was badly injured by a German grenade. It left pieces of it in his chest, some pieces were very near his heart. There was no way to get all the pieces out, so he lived with parts of the grenade in his chest until he died.

And they only gave him 20% for that? People w/ sleep apnea are getting 50.I don't think people should be given a VA pension for a disease they were going to get anyway.

It was a different time. Daddy was badly injured and spent months in the hospital. But he came home alive and in one piece...I gues he was one of the lucky ones, actually. I don't know how many of his buddies died, but I think it was quite a few. But he had pieces of shrapnel in his chest. He had horrible nightmares for years (I only know this because my mother told me). And he had a lot of health problems. It's impossible to say how much his health problems were exacerbated by his war injury. But you know, back then those WW2 veterans came home, worked full time, raised families and most of them did not talk much about the war. And I think unless they had a pretty serious injury, VA disability wasn't common. Daddy was able to work full time after the war but he did have to retire in his early 60s due to health problems.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Markle wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:VA disability claims for sleep apnea skyrocket to over $1.2 billion per year   Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXPfu4_TG3o-TXO_9XY28EXB6lmHcxadT-KahC8k-0HACCuB15

*****SMILE*****

Smile

Do you know what percentage disability your dad was?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum