Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Veterans seek help for sexual abuse VA tracking claims; more than 85,000 treated last year

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

What kind of damn Military do we have? Holy Shit!!!! 1 in 5 Women have issues. 1 in 100 men. Damn!! Thats crazy!!!

WASHINGTON — New government figures underscore the staggering long-term consequences of military sexual assaults: More than 85,000 veterans were treated last year for injuries or illness linked to the abuse, and 4,000 sought disability benefits.

The Department of Veterans Affairs’ accounting, released in response to inquiries from The Associated Press, shows a heavy financial and emotional cost that affects several generations of veterans and lasts long after a victim leaves the service.

Sexual assault or repeated sexual harassment can trigger a variety of health problems, primarily post-traumatic stress disorder and depression. While women are more likely to be victims, men made up nearly 40 percent of the patients the VA treated for conditions connected to what it calls “military sexual trauma.”

VA officials stress that any veteran who claims to have suffered military sexual trauma has access to free health care.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has said reducing the incidence of sexual assaults in the military is a top priority.

“We will not stop until we’ve seen this scourge, from what is the greatest military in the world, eliminated,” President Barack Obama said after summoning top Pentagon officials to the White House last week to talk about the problem. “Not only is it a crime, not only is it shameful and disgraceful, but it also is going to make and has made the military less effective than it can be.”

The VA says 1 in 5 women and 1 in 100 men screen positive for military sexual trauma, which the VA defines as “any sexual activity where you are involved against your will.” Some report that they were victims of rape, while others say they were groped or subjected to verbal abuse or other forms of harassment.

But not all those veterans seek health care or disability benefits related to the attacks. The 85,000 who sought outpatient care linked to military sexual trauma during the latest fiscal year are among nearly 22 million veterans around the U.S.

Page

Nekochan

Nekochan

Some report that they were victims of rape, while others say they were groped or subjected to verbal abuse or other forms of harassment.

I would NEVER make light of ANY sort of sexual harassment....but I do have to wonder what constitutes "verbal sexual harassment or abuse"? If a guy asks a woman out and she says "no" is the guy verbally harassing her? If a guy tells a woman she looks nice, in a non-threatening or non-creepy way, is that verbal harassment or abuse?

2seaoat

I think the problem is serious, and needs some updates on how reporting of incidents are handled.......this is a learning curve where actually civilian life nailed this behavior twenty years ago, where normally the military leads in social guidelines and organizational effectiveness.

Nekochan

Nekochan

I can tell you that what I have seen in the military, it is very pro-active at discouraging harassment and has been for some time. I don't think it's a problem of not getting the message out there.

I am sure there is a problem. Any one rape or one sexual harassment is a serious issue. But I do question some of the stuff that might be labeled as harassment. I would like to see examples of verbal harassment and abuse. Of course, when a woman's superior is harassing her about going out with him or doing other things for him, he needs to be stopped. He needs to be thrown out of the military.

do you think this is a recently developed problem, or do you think they are just now politizing this data because of recent changes in laws for the military?

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Chrissy wrote:do you think this is a recently developed problem, or do you think they are just now politizing this data because of recent changes in laws for the military?

Chrissy, MST is not a new problem. It's an issue that is finally receiving the light and action it deserves.

As you wrote, Neko, I don't think verbal abuse/verbal sexual harassment rises to the level of MST unless it was so severe and so pervasive it affected the victim's life in a severely negative manner.

However, it is so important to realize that MST - including forced sodomy - happened not only to female military members but also to men. 40% of the military members who came forward this past year alone were men.

What once may been considered boys-will-be-boys play and unit "initiation rites" is finally being called the crime that it was: male rape.

Nekochan

Nekochan

These 40% of men --- they are being sexually assaulted by other men?

I know that there are anti sexual harassment training sessions in the military. The military does take it seriously, I believe. When we were in Japan, there were always anti-sexual harassment videos being shown on AFN. I remember at least one of the commercials where it said that it doesn't matter what you mean when you say something to someone, it only matters how they perceive it. Which means to me that ANYTHING can be perceived as being sexual harassment if the victim doesn't like what was said to him/her. Even if the person who said it really did not mean anything bad by it. But I also know that there have been a series of cases where people were having affairs/relationships with their subordinates, which is a serious no-no. So clearly, some idiots aren't getting the message.

Here is one of the commercials that was shown on AFN in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Dw9n3Rv0c

Nekochan

Nekochan

And here is another thing. I wonder how many "consensual" (although illegal) cases there have been in the military where of course the superior was guilty because he knew better than messing around with a subordinate, but then when they were both caught the subordinate yelled "sexual assault" or "sexual harassment" because she didn't want to be in trouble too? I think it happens. And with those cases, even though the superior is the one most responsible and should be severely disciplined, the victim is not always totally innocent either.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

[quote="Nekochan"]These 40% of men --- they are being sexually assaulted by other men?

As shocking as it sounds, the answer is yes, Neko. I'm not referring to verbal sexual harassment (you know, the kind a recruit might get from an officer in basic training), but actual male rape. Forced sodomy.

Nekochan

Nekochan

As to the forced sodomy on men, do you think this is some kind of hazing brutality going on or what? If we have tens of thousands of young military men and women who are actually being sexually assaulted (rape, sodomy, or some actual physical sexual assault), this is extremely alarming.

PB, im not defending that its being done. im questioning why bring it to light now?

I suspect this will result in more liberties taken away and more segregation for our military.

other than that, I cant see a reason to expose it, there is always a agenda in everything the gov does as far as I an see.

usually they handle things within their own legal system. Th military is being reduced to public servants with no rights as citizens if you ask me. A scandal like this could help further that along.

this is all I am saying, other than that, I think its aweful. what to do about it? other than punish the criminals as they have been doing is the big question?

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Nekochan wrote:As to the forced sodomy on men, do you think this is some kind of hazing brutality going on or what? If we have tens of thousands of young military men and women who are actually being sexually assaulted (rape, sodomy, or some actual physical sexual assault), this is extremely alarming.

From what I have learned, it has indeed been used as a means of hazing in the case of men. Yes, it is extremely alarming. It's also something that many male victims felt they were unable to report.

Chrissy, I think this is coming out now because the VA is focusing on screening for military sexual trauma when veterans present for health care. I think even the VA is stunned at the sheer number of cases of physical sexual assault that have been reported, some of which go all the way back to veterans of Viet Nam.

In short, the VA is trying to become more "sensitive" to a long-standing, previously hidden issue.

I can honest to God say "I never saw it"or anything like it in my 4 years in the Army. No Male every touched my junk nor did I ever see anything inappropriate happen. But then I was in the "Old School" Army. Such actions would have most likely caused a politicly incorrect action, such as a severe ass whipping. New Army? I dont know.......

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum