Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Did the forum come under attack

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Did the forum come under attack Empty Did the forum come under attack 10/17/2012, 8:13 pm

I havnt seen some people here in a bit. like seaoat, or much of dreams, seems slow.

did this issue that I am having to deal with run tem off, im having to use a proxy to get on here now.

or maybe they left because they didnt get something they wanted?

do tell it

Yella

Yella

Rogue wrote:I havnt seen some people here in a bit. like seaoat, or much of dreams, seems slow.

did this issue that I am having to deal with run tem off, im having to use a proxy to get on here now.

do tell it

I am only here for one reason.
And that reason is to fuss at you and get you roaring mad and ready to do battle with any or all.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Rogue wrote:I havnt seen some people here in a bit. like seaoat, or much of dreams, seems slow.

do tell it

I'm reading and posting less because of the stupidity of dreamsclore, salinsky, and a few other clueless people. It's not the stupidity that bothers me as much as the name calling. salinski called me a c word recently. I thought that was a banning offense. I thought wrong.

Yella

Yella

ghandi wrote:

do tell it

I'm reading and posting less because of the stupidity of dreamsclore, salinsky, and a few other clueless people. It's not the stupidity that bothers me as much as the name calling. salinski called me a c word recently. I thought that was a banning offense. I thought wrong.

I used to fuss at you, Ghandi, but you don't get roaring mad, you're no fun.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

knothead

knothead

ghandi wrote:

do tell it

ghandi, although you did not name me specifically I presume I would fit in your category of those 'stupid' people. I will not call you names but I do respect you and your views. I miss seaoat btw.

Did the forum come under attack Is?kOs15qFJadpe2fC0nNe_XcCcGyvfdQrn7Dbe8KA0M_8

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKIK5ei_Lhg

Smile

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

do tell it

It's the domain name server (DNS) issue with forumotion.com. There are probably several posters who still can't get online.

You shouldn't need to use a proxy now, Rogue. Again, reset your modem. Unplug the modem power for a few minutes, then plug it back in. Delete all your cookies and the cache the regular way and the problem should be solved.

If that doesn't work, just post it and I'll pass it on to the forumotion folks. Even better, go to the forumotion.com help section and go to the "connections" section. From there, go to the "my forum won't load" thread and let them know what's going on. Once you've read a few of the posts there, I think you'll see it wasn't a forum attack.

[quote=\"PBulldog2\"][quote=\"Rogue\"]I havnt seen some people here in a bit. like seaoat, or much of dreams, seems slow.

do tell it

[/quote]

It\'s the domain name server (DNS) issue with forumotion.com. There are probably several posters who still can\'t get online.

You shouldn\'t need to use a proxy now, Rogue. Again, reset your modem. Unplug the modem power for a few minutes, then plug it back in. Delete all your cookies and the cache the regular way and the problem should be solved.

If that doesn\'t work, just post it and I\'ll pass it on to the forumotion folks. Even better, go to the forumotion.com help section and go to the \"connections\" section. From there, go to the \"my forum won\'t load\" thread and let them know what\'s going on. Once you\'ve read a few of the posts there, I think you\'ll see it wasn\'t a forum attack. [/quote]

I went to the FB forumotion and I did reset my modem and clear my cookies

it was mentioned to do something in a prompt window to clear dns cache or something and i cant do that.

i understand from FB that the modem reset and cookies helped some, not all. Sad

you guys are smarter than the average cookie so i was hopin yall had figured out a work around. other than a proxy....

unless yall know a good proxy. i cant use hide my ass, this forum reconizes it as spam and then wants to captch me and i cany see captch cause i on a roxy...aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

<put angry little moti face here>

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

The only other thing you can do is contact your ISP and ask them to clear their cache. As I've learned, ISPs don't clear their own caches that often.

I still think it is absurd for forum users to have to take that step, but it seems it is working for some people.

Hopefully forumotion.com learned from this! The least they could have done is notify the admins of forums prior to the change so forum members can be informed.

[quote=\"PBulldog2\"]The only other thing you can do is contact your ISP and ask them to clear their cache. As I\'ve learned, ISPs don\'t clear their own caches that often.

I still think it is absurd for forum users to have to take that step, but it seems it is working for some people.

Hopefully forumotion.com learned from this! The least they could have done is notify the admins of forums prior to the change so forum members can be informed.
[/quote]

I may do that at some point. Thanks

do tell it

Maybe "dreams" is having that frontal lobotomy reversed.

12Did the forum come under attack Empty Re: Did the forum come under attack 10/18/2012, 10:18 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

nochain wrote:

Maybe "dreams" is having that frontal lobotomy reversed.

Better to have a Bottle In Front of Me Than a Frontal Lobotomy

13Did the forum come under attack Empty Re: Did the forum come under attack 10/18/2012, 10:29 am

Cant be too much to it if Bob and I are still here.............................just sayin

14Did the forum come under attack Empty Re: Did the forum come under attack 10/18/2012, 11:11 am

Not saying it won't happen but I have not had any of the issues that have been described by different posters here. I have been able to log on at will both here and at EDP.

15Did the forum come under attack Empty Re: Did the forum come under attack 10/18/2012, 11:15 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:Not saying it won't happen but I have not had any of the issues that have been described by different posters here. I have been able to log on at will both here and at EDP.

I haven't had any problems since Monday evening. The only thing I did was delete my cache and reset my modem, in that order.

Forumotion did change their DNS back to the original DNS, so that may have helped as well.

16Did the forum come under attack Empty Re: Did the forum come under attack 10/18/2012, 11:47 am

PBulldog2 wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:Not saying it won't happen but I have not had any of the issues that have been described by different posters here. I have been able to log on at will both here and at EDP.

I haven't had any problems since Monday evening. The only thing I did was delete my cache and reset my modem, in that order.

Forumotion did change their DNS back to the original DNS, so that may have helped as well.

I found something interesting that may help. If you TCP/IPv4 and TCP/IPv6 have the tick box checked to use a particular IP setting, that could be the cause of the problem you are having. Both IPv4 and IPv6 settings should be set to "Obtain Ipv6 Automatically" and "Obtain IPv4 Automatically".

To check these setting depends on which Windows OS you are using, XP, Vista or Windows 7.

Since I have not had any of the issues described, I thought about this since forumotion.com is addressing this as a DNS issue.

How do you clear out a cache?

whats a TCP/Ipv4 or TCP/ipv6?

Thanks

18Did the forum come under attack Empty Re: Did the forum come under attack 10/18/2012, 10:55 pm

Rogue wrote:How do you clear out a cache?

whats a TCP/Ipv4 or TCP/ipv6?

Thanks

Ipv4 is the current Internet addressing system. IPv4 uses 32 bits for its Internet addresses. That means it can support 2^32 IP addresses in total — around 4.29 billion. That may seem like a lot, but all 4.29 billion IP addresses have now been assigned to various institutions, leading to the crisis we face today. We're running out of ip addresses.

So, they're rolling out Ipv6 utilizes 128-bit Internet addresses. Therefore, it can support 2^128 Internet addresses — 340,282,366,920,938,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 of them to be exact. That’s a lot of addresses, so many that it requires a hexadecimal system to display the addresses. In other words, there are more than enough IPv6 addresses to keep the Internet operational for a very, very long time.

As sexy as it is for you guys to be talking all this computer lingo, i stll dont know what the hell yall just said:P

where can i find this TCP thinggy to clear? is that the modem box thinggy that i reset?

and clearing the dns cache?

Thank you

Smile

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Rogue wrote:As sexy as it is for you guys to be talking all this computer lingo, i stll dont know what the hell yall just said:P

where can i find this TCP thinggy to clear? is that the modem box thinggy that i reset?

and clearing the dns cache?

Thank you

Smile

I'm lost regarding the TCP/IP thingy, too, Rogue. I've heard the sysadmins at work talk that lingo, but that's about it. I have no idea where the TCP/IP selection thingy is. Sad Eric? Ghost? Where is it hiding? Laughing

Anyhow, to clear your cache the way forumotion.com recommends, go to your "tools" section at the top of your browser and select "clear recent history", or whatever your browser calls it. Delete your cookies and cache. THEN, reset your modem. That's easy. Unplug the power to it and let it sit for about a minute. Plug the power back in. Forumotion says you may have to repeat this up to three times.

i'm not having issues.

here's what Forumotion says

Hello,

The problem should be fixed now.

A DNS change has caused this problem. Now, the base DNS configuration has been restored.

Please clear your cache and cookies and check if this issue is fixed, as it should be.

If it's not, here are some different operations that can help to fix the issue :

Close your browser
Reboot your Internet connection
Clear the DNS cache with an ipconfig/flushdns process (How to do this ?)
If that still doesn't work, save your current DNS info somewhere else and try to change temporarily your DNS for the DNS provided by Google (How to do this ?)

If after all these operations, you still have the loading issues, please provide us :

The forum(s) concerned
A screenshot of the error message
Your ISP

Thank you very much to all of you for your patience

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Eric, since Leeloo from forumotion.com first came out with those instructions, there have been some changes. Too many forum admins were complaining - and rightly so, I think - that expecting members to flush their DNS through accessing the hostfile, and so on, was a little too much to expect. Not only that, but it wasn't working for several of the people who tried it.

The simpler steps I mentioned above do seem to be working for some people. I haven't had any problems since I took those steps, at any rate.

The last resort is for a person to call their ISP and ask them to clear their cache. Yeah, right....I know. Like Cox Communications is going to flush their cache just for little old me. Rolling Eyes

PBulldog2 wrote:Eric, since Leeloo from forumotion.com first came out with those instructions, there have been some changes. Too many forum admins were complaining - and rightly so, I think - that expecting members to flush their DNS through accessing the hostfile, and so on, was a little too much to expect. Not only that, but it wasn't working for several of the people who tried it.

The simpler steps I mentioned above do seem to be working for some people. I haven't had any problems since I took those steps, at any rate.

The last resort is for a person to call their ISP and ask them to clear their cache. Yeah, right....I know. Like Cox Communications is going to flush their cache just for little old me. Rolling Eyes

I have what I think is a much easier way to get the right DNS for this forum. The DNS problem can be compared to the old phone system. There was a time when Pensacola's phone system only had 4 digits... because there just weren't that many phones around. But when more than 9999 customers came around, they had to add three more digits to the system to allow more customers to get onto the system.

It's like that with the internet. They ran out of numerical addresses and had to change their DNS system to allow more computer connections. The DNS system is computerspeak for changing a name (for instance Forumotion.com) to a series of numbers that the computers use to route traffic over the net. They had to add more numbers. I will look up Forumotion's current DNS number and give instructions on how people can point their computers toward the new number. There is no need to call your ISP or go through a lot of trouble to point your computers to the correct number.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Thanks, Eric!!! That would be great! Very Happy

25Did the forum come under attack Empty Re: Did the forum come under attack 10/19/2012, 10:15 am

Yomama wrote:
PBulldog2 wrote:Eric, since Leeloo from forumotion.com first came out with those instructions, there have been some changes. Too many forum admins were complaining - and rightly so, I think - that expecting members to flush their DNS through accessing the hostfile, and so on, was a little too much to expect. Not only that, but it wasn't working for several of the people who tried it.

I have what I think is a much easier way to get the right DNS for this forum. The DNS problem can be compared to the old phone system. There was a time when Pensacola's phone system only had 4 digits... because there just weren't that many phones around. But when more than 9999 customers came around, they had to add three more digits to the system to allow more customers to get onto the system.

It's like that with the internet. They ran out of numerical addresses and had to change their DNS system to allow more computer connections. The DNS system is computerspeak for changing a name (for instance Forumotion.com) to a series of numbers that the computers use to route traffic over the net. They had to add more numbers. I will look up Forumotion's current DNS number and give instructions on how people can point their computers toward the new number. There is no need to call your ISP or go through a lot of trouble to point your computers to the correct number.

Eric wouldn't that do the same if the TCP/IPv4 and IPv6 were set to automatically pick up the DNS. I firmly believe that is why I never had the problem that some of you had. With it set to automatic, it picked up their DNS Server regardless of what they were using.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum