Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Democrats Debate lineup

+6
Telstar
bigdog
Sal
RealLindaL
zsomething
othershoe1030
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 20]

176Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/8/2019, 6:27 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Floridatexan wrote:
bigdog wrote:LOL  Telstar, I never know what your rolling eyes emoticon means.

I don't know if you remember either Hubert Humphreys or Walter Mondale, who were the people Nixon ran against, if I remember right.

This was during the "real cold war" when it had only been 6 years since the Cuban Missile Crisis which could have caused the extinction of mankind from the planet.Americans were very concerned about Vietnam spreading into a world war with China. Foreign Policy was a number one issue.

Humphreys or Mondale were strong on Civil Rights at the time, but neither of them had any decent foreign policy credentials. Humphreys had been Johnson's VP, and Johnson was not exactly a foreign policy genius. Johnson was a big drag on Humphreys, no doubt about it. I don't think people trusted him with Vietnam anymore than they trusted Johnson with it. Voting Nixon made perfect sense.  And after his first very successful term with all the above successes, he had no real competition in Mondale.

People not around back then have learned a strange view of history, IMO. Americans needed a strong leader and I felt the same way. Nixon was it.
It wasn't that complicated and I make no apologies.

I was around back then, and I think you're a blooming idiot.

Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Cat_ou10

LOL

177Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/8/2019, 7:04 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Moving on to the "high strung" one...

Liz Warren says she raised $19.1M in second quarter

Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s presidential campaign said she pulled in $19.1 million in the second quarter – more than three times what she raised in the first three months of the year.

The Democrat from Massachusetts got 683,000 donations from 384,000 donors for an average donation of $28, her campaign tweeted on Monday.

​Warren’s haul was more than the $18 million Sen. Bernie Sanders raised during April, May and June.

​He also transferred $6 million from another account, bringing his total to $24 million.

It was also $7 million more than what Sen. Kamala Harris raked in during the second quarter.

But it fell short of Joe Biden’s take of $21.5 million and Mayor Pete Buttigieg’s $24.8 million.

Among other Democratic hopefuls who reported their second quarter totals, Sen. Michael Bennet raised $3.5 million and Montana Gov. Steve Bullock took in $2 million.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/08/liz-warren-says-she-raised-19-1m-in-second-quarter/

178Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/8/2019, 10:03 pm

bigdog

Telstar wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

I don't know if you remember either Hubert Humphreys or Walter Mondale, who were the people Nixon ran against, if I remember right.

This was during the "real cold war" when it had only been 6 years since the Cuban Missile Crisis which could have caused the extinction of mankind from the planet.Americans were very concerned about Vietnam spreading into a world war with China. Foreign Policy was a number one issue.

Humphreys or Mondale were strong on Civil Rights at the time, but neither of them had any decent foreign policy credentials. Humphreys had been Johnson's VP, and Johnson was not exactly a foreign policy genius. Johnson was a big drag on Humphreys, no doubt about it. I don't think people trusted him with Vietnam anymore than they trusted Johnson with it. Voting Nixon made perfect sense.  And after his first very successful term with all the above successes, he had no real competition in Mondale.

People not around back then have learned a strange view of history, IMO. Americans needed a strong leader and I felt the same way. Nixon was it.

LOL

If you were around back then, AND of an age to know what was going on, you must have been drugged at the time. I wasn't. There's nothing wrong with my memory.

I did make one error. It was Humphrey that Nixon ran against in '68, but it was George McGovern he ran against in 1972. McGovern ran on a platform of leaving Vietnam immediately. He was the darling of the anti-war college students and hippies. A purist, like you, I guess. He also wanted national healthcare. Extremely liberal and extremely anti-war. . And to hear millennials and gen Xers talk about history today, you'd think most of America back then hated Nixon and hated the war. Yeah, Americans were tired of the war. But they trusted Nixon to end it, not the vocally anti-war George McGovern. McGovern wanted to walk away. Americans wanted to keep their pride in the process. So what happened when it was time to vote?
McGovern lost to Richard Nixon by the widest popular vote margin in the history of politics. The record holds to this day. Nixon got 18 million more votes than McGovern, and won 49 states. The loudly, vocally anti-war people were not the majority of voters in 1972. It was that simple. It wasn't even close. That's real history and real numbers, the numbers that people who weren't drugged out of their heads back then should be capable of remembering. You don't like them, but you can't change them They will always exist in a history book somewhere.

The only cat that's out of the bag is the one fact that you've hidden for quite awhile. That would be that you have gone so far to the left your brain has now gone off balance and it can't understand reality anymore.
Because reality is that times change, people change, and no one is either all good or all bad, with the possible exception of Trump himself. Hindsight is always 2020, but it doesn't require an apology for actions taken in the past when those actions were taken because facts were not known at the time.
It's that simple. I'm not going to keep this argument going, because it's stupid to argue with someone who is not listening.

I also don't have to prove to you that I'm a Democrat, because I've proven it to every other Democrat that I've ever worked with on a campaign, and actually, it's their opinions that matter to me, not yours.

"Imagine" was just a song, I hate to clue you in, but life just really doesn't work that way.

179Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/8/2019, 10:34 pm

Telstar

Telstar

bigdog wrote:
Telstar wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

LOL

If you were around back then, AND of an age to know what was going on, you must have been drugged at the time. I wasn't. There's nothing wrong with my memory.

I did make one error. It was Humphrey that Nixon ran against in '68, but it was George McGovern he ran against in 1972. McGovern ran on a platform of leaving Vietnam immediately. He was the darling of the anti-war college students and hippies.  A purist, like you, I guess. He also wanted  national healthcare. Extremely liberal and extremely anti-war. . And to hear millennials and gen Xers talk about history today, you'd think most of America back then  hated Nixon and hated the war. Yeah, Americans were tired of the war. But they trusted Nixon to end it, not the vocally anti-war George McGovern. McGovern wanted to walk away. Americans wanted to keep their pride in the process.  So what happened when it was time to vote?
McGovern  lost to Richard Nixon by the widest popular vote margin in the history of politics. The record holds to this day. Nixon got 18 million more votes than McGovern,  and won 49 states. The loudly, vocally anti-war people were not the majority of voters in 1972. It was that simple. It wasn't even close. That's real history and real numbers, the numbers that people who weren't drugged out of their heads back then should be capable of remembering. You don't like them, but you can't change them  They will always exist in a history book somewhere.

The only cat that's out of the bag is the one fact that you've hidden for quite awhile. That would be that you have gone so far to the left your brain has now gone off balance and  it can't understand reality anymore.
Because reality is that times change, people change, and no one is either all good or all bad, with the possible exception of Trump himself. Hindsight is always 2020, but it doesn't require an apology for actions taken in the past when those actions were taken because facts were not known at the time.
It's that simple. I'm not going to keep this argument going, because it's stupid to argue with someone who is not listening.

I also don't have to prove to you that I'm a Democrat, because I've proven it to every other Democrat that I've ever worked with on a campaign, and actually, it's their opinions that matter to me, not yours.

"Imagine" was just a song, I hate to clue you in, but life just really doesn't work that way.

180Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/9/2019, 12:23 am

RealLindaL

Telstar wrote:

Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s presidential campaign said she pulled in $19.1 million in the second quarter – more than three times what she raised in the first three months of the year.

The Democrat from Massachusetts got 683,000 donations from 384,000 donors for an average donation of $28, her campaign tweeted on Monday.

​Warren’s haul was more than the $18 million Sen. Bernie Sanders raised during April, May and June.

​He also transferred $6 million from another account, bringing his total to $24 million.

It was also $7 million more than what Sen. Kamala Harris raked in during the second quarter.

But it fell short of Joe Biden’s take of $21.5 million and Mayor Pete Buttigieg’s $24.8 million.

Among other Democratic hopefuls who reported their second quarter totals, Sen. Michael Bennet raised $3.5 million and Montana Gov. Steve Bullock took in $2 million.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/08/liz-warren-says-she-raised-19-1m-in-second-quarter/

This is supposed to impress me about the woman?  It doesn't.  Donald Trump can raise a lot of money, too.  Doesn't make him a worthy of being president.

181Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/9/2019, 12:26 am

Telstar

Telstar

RealLindaL wrote:
Telstar wrote:

This is supposed to impress me about the woman?  It doesn't.  Donald Trump can raise a lot of money, too.  Doesn't make him a worthy of being president.

It's not all about "you."

182Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/9/2019, 2:27 am

RealLindaL

Telstar wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:
Telstar wrote:

OK, your post started out with my earlier description of Warren as seemingly "high strung," so I just naturally responded accordingly.  But if it'll make you happy, how about I change that last to, "This is supposed to impress me or anyone else about the woman? It sure doesn't impress this voter.  Donald Trump can raise a lot of money, too.  Doesn't make him a worthy of being president."

183Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/9/2019, 2:35 am

Telstar

Telstar

RealLindaL wrote:
Telstar wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:
Telstar wrote:

OK, your post started out with my earlier description of Warren as seemingly "high strung," so I just naturally responded accordingly.  But if it'll make you happy, how about I change that last to, "This is supposed to impress me or anyone else about the woman? It sure doesn't impress this voter.  Donald Trump can raise a lot of money, too.  Doesn't make him a worthy of being president."

That's better. Try not to let it happen again. lol!

184Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/9/2019, 8:24 am

Sal

Sal

RealLindaL wrote:
This is supposed to impress me about the woman?  It doesn't.

It should.

She's relying on grassroots online donations and eschewing in-person, high-dollar fundraisers.

Her total came from more than 384,000 donors, whose donations averaged less than $28.

As opposed to this;

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joe-biden-2020-campaign-lobbyist-money_n_5cc111dce4b0764d31dc8586

She's accomplishing this with a focus on smart ideas and detailed policy proposals.

Too bad you can't get past your biases enough to see that.

185Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/9/2019, 9:22 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

bigdog wrote:
Telstar wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

LOL

Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 LLyAk7Y

I did make one error. It was Humphrey that Nixon ran against in '68, but it was George McGovern he ran against in 1972. McGovern ran on a platform of leaving Vietnam immediately. He was the darling of the anti-war college students and hippies.  A purist, like you, I guess. He also wanted  national healthcare. Extremely liberal and extremely anti-war. . And to hear millennials and gen Xers talk about history today, you'd think most of America back then  hated Nixon and hated the war. Yeah, Americans were tired of the war. But they trusted Nixon to end it, not the vocally anti-war George McGovern. McGovern wanted to walk away. Americans wanted to keep their pride in the process.  So what happened when it was time to vote?

McGovern  lost to Richard Nixon by the widest popular vote margin in the history of politics. The record holds to this day. Nixon got 18 million more votes than McGovern,  and won 49 states. The loudly, vocally anti-war people were not the majority of voters in 1972. It was that simple. It wasn't even close. That's real history and real numbers, the numbers that people who weren't drugged out of their heads back then should be capable of remembering. You don't like them, but you can't change them  They will always exist in a history book somewhere.

The only cat that's out of the bag is the one fact that you've hidden for quite awhile. That would be that you have gone so far to the left your brain has now gone off balance and  it can't understand reality anymore.

You're no Democrat; you're an effing political groupie.

186Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/9/2019, 11:56 am

RealLindaL

Sal wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:
This is supposed to impress me about the woman?  It doesn't.

It should.

She's relying on grassroots online donations and eschewing in-person, high-dollar fundraisers.

Her total came from more than 384,000 donors, whose donations averaged less than $28.

As opposed to this;

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joe-biden-2020-campaign-lobbyist-money_n_5cc111dce4b0764d31dc8586

She's accomplishing this with a focus on smart ideas and detailed policy proposals.

Too bad you can't get past your biases enough to see that.

You can call it bias or whatever you wish; I call it personal judgment, to which I have a perfect right.

I also happen to trust my judgment (far more than I do yours) -- and it has nothing whatever to do with the gender of any candidate.

187Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/9/2019, 2:51 pm

bigdog

Floridatexan wrote:
bigdog wrote:
Telstar wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

LOL

Really? A finger is the best you can do? Very Happy
I'll give you that I'm a political groupie. When I'm serious about a candidate, going to the polls and voting for them just is not enough for me.

I don't take that as an insult, I take it as a compliment. Thank you very much.

188Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/9/2019, 3:00 pm

Sal

Sal

RealLindaL wrote:
You can call it bias or whatever you wish; I call it personal judgment, to which I have a perfect right.  

I also happen to trust my judgment (far more than I do yours) -- and it has nothing whatever to do with the gender of any candidate.

Well, when your only criticism is a rather subjective objection to her style, I don't know what else to call it other than bias.

I like her style.

But, then I've always been attracted to smart, opinionated women who are willing to fight for the principals they believe in.

I understand that some people find those qualities off-putting.

That's unfortunate.

189Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/9/2019, 3:19 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

bigdog wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
bigdog wrote:
Telstar wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

LOL

Really? A finger is the best you can do? Very Happy
I'll give you that I'm a political groupie. When I'm serious about a candidate, going to the polls and voting for them just is not enough for me.

I don't take that as an insult, I take it as a compliment. Thank you very much.

It wasn't a compliment, but it's obvious your delusional and malfunctioning brain would take it that way.

190Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/9/2019, 4:34 pm

bigdog

It should have been a compliment, because it's the political groupies that get things done at the grassroots level of every politicians campaign.
Bill Clinton said you fall in love during the primaries, and then you fall in line during the election.
That's what I've always done.
Sorry you can't shame me over it.  Or even ruin my day.
Because if my day starts to go bad, I can head on out to the National Seashore and jump in the waves of the Gulf, far away from anyone's condo.
And when I do, I'll say a thank you to Richard Nixon for it.
Oh yeah, and my son didn't have to go die in a stupid, needless war in the Middle East because when he was 18, he didn't have to fear the draft like the kids in my generation did. I'm VERY thankful to Tricky Dick  for that too.
My son is alive and well, and the beach is beautiful and free to the public.
So take your hate someplace else. It's not working on me.
I'm busy hating Trump right now, I don't have any inclination to go back and hate some other president.

191Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/9/2019, 4:53 pm

Sal

Sal

bigdog wrote:
Bill Clinton said you fall in love during the primaries, and then you fall in line during the election.

I'm busy hating Trump right now, I don't have any inclination to go back and hate some other president.

I hear ya, but it's still too early to fall in love.

There's no reason for anyone to lock onto any particular candidate until after the first of the year at the earliest.

We need for this field to winnow down to a more reasonable number, and then see how they perform.

Recent polling showing Biden performing best in a head-to-head matchup against Trump is pretty useless at this point - Hillary was crushing Trump in July 2015 polling 59-34.

I'll definitely fall into line behind whoever get the nomination, even if it's Bernie (Oh God, please don't let it be Bernie).

192Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/9/2019, 5:50 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Sal wrote:
bigdog wrote:

I hear ya, but it's still too early to fall in love.

There's no reason for anyone to lock onto any particular candidate until after the first of the year at the earliest.

We need for this field to winnow down to a more reasonable number, and then see how they perform.

Recent polling showing Biden performing best in a head-to-head matchup against Trump is pretty useless at this point - Hillary was crushing Trump in July 2015 polling 59-34.

I'll definitely fall into line behind whoever get the nomination, even if it's Bernie (Oh God, please don't let it be Bernie).

But I love Bernie...NOT!

193Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/9/2019, 7:59 pm

bigdog

It's not too early when you really wanted Joe Biden to be the democratic candidate back in 2016. I've been a Biden fan for a very long time, and I fully believe that, if Biden's son hadn't died and he had run, Trump would be just a footnote in the history books right now.

I'm not supporting him because he can win, I'm supporting him because he is the person I want to be president. My other choice would be Corey Booker, which I've said very often. I think they are both outstanding human beings.
Corey Booker was rescuing neighbors from burning houses while Kamala Harris was sleeping with a married man and improving her career by doing it. I'm sorry, but those are just facts that actually happened.
I admire Biden for his candor and for not being afraid to show his emotions, I think his heart is good. When I supported Wes Clark in 04, it was because Supreme Allied commanders don't have to rappel down cliffs in an active warzone to collect the bodies of dead soldiers to be sure they get home, but he did, along with UN Ambassador Holbrooke. He had guts, he was a Rhodes Scholar, and he had character. Maybe recognizing that is being a groupie, right? He'd have beaten George W. when no personality JOhn Kerry had no chance whatsoever.

So I don't have to decide anything from the debates-I already know who I want to get the nomination, the same person I wanted in 2016.
If Corey Booker gets it though, I'll be very happy too. I kind of doubt that is going to happen.

194Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/9/2019, 9:35 pm

Telstar

Telstar

195Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/9/2019, 9:41 pm

Sal

Sal

Biden should be the best candidate to take on Trump, but he has some glaring weaknesses and a ton of baggage, the combination of which may prove fatal.

196Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/9/2019, 11:22 pm

bigdog

Telstar wrote:

I never said he was the greatest speaker in the world and I'm sure I never said he wasn't a walking-talking gaffe machine. He's always been that, even when he was young.
I just said I will vote for him over all the other candidates regardless, because he's the guy I want in the White House. I don't think just anybody can heal this country right now. We need another Gerald Ford or Jimmy Carter in the same way this country needed those two presidents after Watergate. I think Biden is that kind of leader. If he drops out, I'll go with Booker. And I'll be almost as happy to see him get the nomination, but not quite.

It's not possible to change an insane groupie's mind. What's the point in trying?

197Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/10/2019, 2:55 am

RealLindaL

Sal wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

Well, when your only criticism is a rather subjective objection to her style, I don't know what else to call it other than bias.

I like her style.

But, then I've always been attracted to smart, opinionated women who are willing to fight for the principals they believe in.

That's unfortunate.

OMG Sal you become more and more arrogantly patronizing as time goes on.

Look, I'm not going to waste further time on this except to say:

1.  Based on your own description of women you've "always been attracted to," you would've loved me in my pioneering career years.  I fought not only for PRINCIPLES, but for myself, for equal pay and authority, and thus for the women who came after me in a male-dominated industry.

2.  I'm not 100% with Warren on policy, but yes, the thing that bothers me the most is her demeanor (your "style"), since precisely what this nation needs is a UNITER in chief, and she simply does not come across to me as anyone who has the slightest chance of bringing this nation's people back together.   Maybe no one does, but certainly not Warren.

198Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/10/2019, 3:23 am

Telstar

Telstar

RealLindaL wrote:
Sal wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

I like her style.

That's unfortunate.

OMG Sal you become more and more arrogantly patronizing as time goes on.

Look, I'm not going to waste further time on this except to say:

1.  Based on your own description of women you've "always been attracted to," you would've loved me in my pioneering career years.  I fought not only for PRINCIPLES, but for myself, for equal pay and authority, and thus for the women who came after me in a male-dominated industry.

2.  I'm not 100% with Warren on policy, but yes, the thing that bothers me the most is her demeanor (your "style"), since precisely what this nation needs is a UNITER in chief, and she simply does not come across to me as anyone who has the slightest chance of bringing this nation's people back together.   Maybe no one does, but certainly not Warren.

I don't think anyone can bring the nations people back together. Not after Trump. So if nobody can, why not give Warren, or Harris or Booker a shot? Can't hurt worse than the open wound we've suffered with since 2016. Maybe the country has had enough of tired feeble old men, let's give some new blood a shot like we did with Obama. It may just work again.

199Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/10/2019, 10:33 am

Sal

Sal

bigdog wrote:Kamala Harris was sleeping with a married man and improving her career by doing it.

This is a lazy, hateful, misogynistic attempt to dismiss a formidable, hard-working and talented woman.

Her dating life is none of my business, and there's not a single successful San Francisco politician who wasn't connected to Willie Brown during that era.

Raise your game.

That's just pathetic.

200Democrats Debate lineup - Page 8 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/11/2019, 9:38 am

Sal

Sal

“It’s not enough to knock the current occupant out of the White House. Things were broken before he ever got there ... a country that is healed & in good shape does not elect a man like that to president”

- Elizabeth Warren addressing an overflow crowd of nearly 700 in NH 07/10/19

Nailed it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum