Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Democrats Debate lineup

+6
Telstar
bigdog
Sal
RealLindaL
zsomething
othershoe1030
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 20]

151Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/7/2019, 12:30 am

Telstar

Telstar

bigdog wrote:I wonder how many times Tom Skerrit has the played the town sheriff in a TV show or movie? It's so many times that he looks funny without a cop's hat on his head.
I wonder if he's played a cop more times or Sean Bean has died more times in movies. It's got to be a close race.

Skeritt won a best actor Emmy for this show. The series won twice. Kathy Baker won Best Actress 3 times, Ray Walston won supporting actor twice and Fyvush Finkel won once. I don't know why it lasted only 4 years, Maybe the stories were too controversial for CBS back then.

152Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/7/2019, 12:01 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Just saw Skerrit as a kid on an old episode of Gunsmoke. I remember Picket Fences...really liked it.

153Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/7/2019, 1:04 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Floridatexan wrote:
Just saw Skerrit as a kid on an old episode of Gunsmoke.  I remember Picket Fences...really liked it.  

I loved it but it became silly during season 4. Wambaugh was homeless so he moved in with Judge Bone. Nobody wanted a senior version of Oscar and Felix.

154Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/7/2019, 1:09 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Sincere or not? What do you think?

155Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/7/2019, 3:32 pm

bigdog

I doubt it was sincere, but it wasn't an issue he should have been attacked on in the first place. I was a Republican way back when, and I don't feel any need at all to apologize for it. That's because I am 100% confident in the fact that I have also never been a racist. Anybody alive back then knew that, at least in the South, Democrats were the party of racism. We had good old George Wallace back then. That's why I supported Richard Nixon.
AND nobody knew he was a racist back then, so don't even go there. It was only with the playing of the tapes that we learned that fact.
I don't know why Biden chose to be a Democrat. I do know that I always respected him and never saw him as a racist, even in the 70's. I don't believe he should have apologized. I think it was a political move, but I don't think it's going to matter by the time the primaries roll along.
And if his son was as good a friend to Kamala Harris as he said, I understand why he was so taken aback in the debate when she attacked him like she did. He got blindsided by something from 40 years ago from someone he didn't think would do such a thing.
That's her little prosecutor ass showing up, and it didn't impress me. She's playing her race card big time with some of her Essence festival speeches this weekend, unlike Booker. She wants to buy houses for people based on their race.  I'm liking her  less all the time.

She's more Al Sharpton than she is Barack Obama.
I wouldn't vote for the Rev. Al for dogcatcher.
But come to think of it, I might if he were running against Kamala.

156Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/7/2019, 5:09 pm

bigdog

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/kamala-harris-stops-short-of-fully-accepting-joe-bidens-apology-we-cannot-rewrite-history/ar-AADZrj0?ocid=spartandhp

I've got to tell you- the Democrats had better not nominate this biotch. Some of us moderates might just sit our butts at home and not go vote if they do.

She is really starting to make me hate her guts.

She may put Trump right back into the White House.

BTW, she used the old tried and true line when she started talking- "I know you're not a racist, but....." As soon as someone says that, you can bet you are about to be called a racist. Joe should have been ready from that line on.

Last edited by bigdog on 7/7/2019, 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

157Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/7/2019, 5:16 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Harris praises Biden's 'courage' for apology, but says there is still 'plenty of disagreement'

Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., said Sunday that while she was happy former Vice President Joe Biden apologized for his remarks about working in the past with segregationist lawmakers, she claimed there was “plenty of disagreement” between the two 2020 presidential hopefuls.

“He is right to recognize the impact of his words and I applaud him for doing that having the courage to do it,” Kamala said of Biden before a campaign stop in South Carolina. “There is still plenty of disagreement between he and I, and that remains.”

Harris added: “But, I applaud him for having the courage, at least as it relates to his comments about segregationists.”

Biden on Saturday apologized for his remarks, and said he did not mean to cause anybody any “pain.”

“I regret it and I'm sorry for any of the pain or misconception they may have caused anybody,” Biden said during a campaign event in South Carolina. Biden said he was “wrong” to “give the impression” that he was somehow praising segregationist senators.

Harris and Biden have been at odds with one another since the California lawmaker went after the former vice president on the debate stage in Miami almost two weeks ago for his earlier comments about being able to work with segregationist senators early in his career. Harris called the remarks “hurtful.”

Biden defended himself at the time, saying her comments about his record were a “mischaracterization of my position across the board,” and that he “did not praise racists.”

“I ran because of civil rights,” Biden said, noting that he worked as a public defender after the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. in 1968. “I continue to believe we need to make fundamental change.”

Harris’ grilling of Biden was not the only breakout moment of the first presidential debates but clearly boosted her campaign as she shot up in the polls following her performance to come within striking distance of the frontrunner, Biden.

A recent Quinnipiac poll showed Biden at 22 percent, down 8 points from the outfit's prior poll in June. Harris, meanwhile, soared from just 7 percent to 20 percent in the latest survey, putting her in a statistical tie with Biden. Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren held steady at 14 percent while Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders slipped 6 points to 13 percent.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/kamala-harris-joe-biden-apology-disagreement

158Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/7/2019, 7:01 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

bigdog wrote:I doubt it was sincere, but it wasn't an issue he should have been attacked on in the first place. I was a Republican way back when, and I don't feel any need at all to apologize for it. That's because I am 100% confident in the fact that I have also never been a racist. Anybody alive back then knew that, at least in the South, Democrats were the party of racism. We had good old George Wallace back then. That's why I supported Richard Nixon.
AND nobody knew he was a racist back then, so don't even go there. It was only with the playing of the tapes that we learned that fact.
I don't know why Biden chose to be a Democrat. I do know that I always respected him and never saw him as a racist, even in the 70's. I don't believe he should have apologized. I think it was a political move, but I don't think it's going to matter by the time the primaries roll along.
And if his son was as good a friend to Kamala Harris as he said, I understand why he was so taken aback in the debate when she attacked him like she did. He got blindsided by something from 40 years ago from someone he didn't think would do such a thing.
That's her little prosecutor ass showing up, and it didn't impress me. She's playing her race card big time with some of her Essence festival speeches this weekend, unlike Booker. She wants to buy houses for people based on their race.  I'm liking her  less all the time.

She's more Al Sharpton than she is Barack Obama.
I wouldn't vote for the Rev. Al for dogcatcher.
But come to think of it, I might if he were running against Kamala.

You do know that "Tricky Dick" ran on ending the war in Vietnam when he had no intention of doing so. And that he directly interfered with Johnson's peace efforts, expanded the war into Cambodia and Laos, and got another 25,000 or so Vietnam soldiers killed? Right? I did not remember but was recently reminded that he also tried to hold a pro-war rally on July 4, 1970 at the National Mall, similar to what Drumpf just did. Also that he was racist and antisemitic? Yeah...you should apologize for voting for Nixon.

159Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/7/2019, 7:19 pm

bigdog

Yes, he did run on ending the war in Vietnam, which is one reason that I voted for him, You understand that?
I voted for him and in 1972 he was reelected by the largest margin of any candidate in the history of America. Tricky Dick, as apparently you don't remember, was an extremely POPULAR president.
What he did in Cambodia and other countries was not known until after he left office, nor was the fact that he was a racist revealed before the tapes from the White House were made public. That's because he did not govern as a racist.

I don't apologize for not knowing things that were NOT public knowledge nor for voting for Nixon. We had no knowledge of what went on in the privacy of the Oval office. What the public did know is that he lowered the voting age to 18, he ended the draft,  that he created the EPA to protect the environment, and that, in the end, he did get us out of Vietnam.  He attempted to do something about fuel emissions long before it was popular to do so, and if he was a racist, he did not practice it in his decision making process while he was POTUS.
Nixon was a hell of a lot better president than history will ever allow him to be seen as.  Yes, he covered up a crime, making him a criminal.
And he should have resigned.
But I would never apologize for voting for Nixon, because I know what we knew at the time, and at that time, my decision was absolutely correct.
Vietnam was Lyndon Johnson's war, and JFK's war for expanding our forces there, and we even had troops there under IKE, from what I've heard.
It's only Nixon's because Americans want to hate somebody for it and Nixon was there at the end. Johnson had f--cked it up so badly by the time Nixon got there all he could do was claim victory and leave, which is what we finally did.

And for the same reason I would never apologize for voting for Nixon, Joe Biden should not have apologized for working with segregationists to get things done at the beginning of his career. It was the only way to get things done AT THE TIME whether Kamala Harris wants to acknowledge it or not.
Different times require different decisions and different actions. Using todays morality, you need to tear down the Washington monument, because old George had slaves, and definitely bomb Monticello and that room where he kept his slave girlfriend.
When I drive to the beach, I go to a place named Perdido Key. The Gulf Islands National Seashore is there, and it's protected against development by the act Richard Nixon signed 50 years ago. I'm grateful to him every time I see those signs. Because there is very little left of Pensacola Beach itself to the public. It's been destroyed by condos and businesses.
Nope, no apologies ever for voting for Nixon.

160Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/7/2019, 7:32 pm

Telstar

Telstar

bigdog wrote:Yes, he did run on ending the war in Vietnam, which is one reason that I voted for him, You understand that?
I voted for him and in 1972 he was reelected by the largest margin of any candidate in the history of America. Tricky Dick, as apparently you don't remember, was an extremely POPULAR president.
What he did in Cambodia and other countries was not known until after he left office, nor was the fact that he was a racist revealed before the tapes from the White House were made public. That's because he did not govern as a racist.

I don't apologize for not knowing things that were NOT public knowledge nor for voting for Nixon. We had no knowledge of what went on in the privacy of the Oval office. What the public did know is that he lowered the voting age to 18, he ended the draft,  that he created the EPA to protect the environment, and that, in the end, he did get us out of Vietnam.  He attempted to do something about fuel emissions long before it was popular to do so, and if he was a racist, he did not practice it in his decision making process while he was POTUS.
Nixon was a hell of a lot better president than history will ever allow him to be seen as.  Yes, he covered up a crime, making him a criminal.
And he should have resigned.
But I would never apologize for voting for Nixon, because I know what we knew at the time, and at that time, my decision was absolutely correct.
Vietnam was Lyndon Johnson's war, and JFK's war for expanding our forces there, and we even had troops there under IKE, from what I've heard.
It's only Nixon's because Americans want to hate somebody for it and Nixon was there at the end. Johnson had f--cked it up so badly by the time Nixon got there all he could do was claim victory and leave, which is what we finally did.

And for the same reason I would never apologize for voting for Nixon, Joe Biden should not have apologized for working with segregationists to get things done at the beginning of his career.  It was the only way to get things done AT THE TIME whether Kamala Harris wants to acknowledge it or not.
Different times require different decisions and different actions. Using todays morality, you need to tear down the Washington monument, because old George had slaves, and definitely bomb Monticello and that room where he kept his slave girlfriend.
When I drive to the beach, I go to a place named Perdido Key. The Gulf Islands National Seashore is there, and it's protected against development by the act Richard Nixon signed 50 years ago. I'm grateful to him every time I see those signs. Because there is very little left of Pensacola Beach itself to the public. It's been destroyed by condos and businesses.
Nope, no apologies ever for voting for Nixon.

Rolling Eyes

161Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/7/2019, 7:56 pm

bigdog

LOL Telstar, I never know what your rolling eyes emoticon means.

I don't know if you remember either Hubert Humphreys or Walter Mondale, who were the people Nixon ran against, if I remember right.

This was during the "real cold war" when it had only been 6 years since the Cuban Missile Crisis which could have caused the extinction of mankind from the planet.Americans were very concerned about Vietnam spreading into a world war with China. Foreign Policy was a number one issue.

Humphreys or Mondale were strong on Civil Rights at the time, but neither of them had any decent foreign policy credentials. Humphreys had been Johnson's VP, and Johnson was not exactly a foreign policy genius. Johnson was a big drag on Humphreys, no doubt about it. I don't think people trusted him with Vietnam anymore than they trusted Johnson with it. Voting Nixon made perfect sense. And after his first very successful term with all the above successes, he had no real competition in Mondale.

People not around back then have learned a strange view of history, IMO. Americans needed a strong leader and I felt the same way. Nixon was it.
It wasn't that complicated and I make no apologies.

162Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/7/2019, 8:06 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Now back to Biden and not old republican tyrants still highly thought of by so called ex republicans. " you gotta' just see that human pain." Only someone didn't see it until he decided to run for President in 2020.

163Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/7/2019, 8:22 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Just think if it wasn't for Biden maybe we wouldn't have Judge Thomas or Judge Kavanaugh to fuck up SCOTUS. Maybe the best thing slow Joe ever did or will do was shine Obama's shoes and carried his coat.

164Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/7/2019, 9:13 pm

bigdog

Yes, I know Monticello was Jefferson's home and it was him that slept with Sally Hemmings. I saw the room while they were excavating it, about two years ago. I meant to say Washington had slaves and Jefferson too.,

165Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/7/2019, 9:37 pm

bigdog

I watched the Anita Hill hearings, beginning to end. I was hoping she could implicate Thomas in something serious enough to keep him off the court.
I'm a woman, and I don't automatically take every word out of every other woman's mouth as absolute gospel. I do not believe you always have to "believe the woman," because I've met some pretty damned devious ladies in my life. The truth is, just like in the Kavanaugh case, both women waited over a decade to accuse these men of abuse. Just because I didn't want Thomas on the bench didn't mean Anita Hill's testimony was sufficient to keep him off. And Joe Biden did what no Republicans ever did when they were in power of Senate committees, he allowed both sides to complete their questions. He didn't cut them off on party lines. If you don't like fairness, sorry about that.
As I remember there was some talk about a pubic hair in a coke can during the testimony, it got pretty nasty. But in the end, it was still her word against his. And he played the race card, big time. The Democrats had to be very careful what they did or they would have been accused of trying to keep him off the court because he was black. Republicans knew that when they put him forward. Biden did the best he could with a bad situation. Two African Americans disagreeing with each other and trying not to make the Democratic party look racist.
Yeah, it is about the politics sometime.
And by the way, I'm not just a Democrat, I'm an active Democrat. So you can put your "not an ex republican" comment where the sun don't shine.

166Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/7/2019, 9:58 pm

Telstar

Telstar

bigdog wrote:I watched the Anita Hill hearings, beginning to end. I was hoping she could implicate Thomas in something serious enough to keep him off the court.
I'm a woman, and I don't automatically take every word out of every other woman's mouth as absolute gospel. I do not believe you always have to "believe the woman," because I've met some pretty damned devious ladies in my life.  The  truth is, just like in the Kavanaugh case, both women waited over a decade to accuse these men of abuse. Just because I didn't want Thomas on the bench didn't mean Anita Hill's testimony was sufficient to keep him off. And Joe Biden did what no Republicans ever did when they were in power of Senate committees, he allowed both sides to complete their questions. He didn't cut them off on party lines. If you don't like fairness, sorry about that.
As I remember there was some talk about a pubic hair in a coke can during the testimony, it got pretty nasty. But in the end, it was still her word against his. And he played the race card, big time.  The Democrats had to be very careful what they did or they would have been accused of trying to keep him off the court because he was black. Republicans knew that when they put him forward. Biden did the best he could with a bad situation. Two African Americans disagreeing with each other and trying not to make the Democratic party look racist.
Yeah, it is about the politics sometime.
And by the way, I'm not just a Democrat, I'm an active Democrat. So you can put your "not an ex republican" comment where the sun don't shine.

Rolling Eyes Are you sure? Some active Democrats are worse for the party than republicans. Now how about you take my comment and shove it way up high where you're sun don't shine deary. Rolling Eyes

167Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/7/2019, 10:05 pm

bigdog

Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 86672510
 Where's your picture proud Democrat with whatever political candidate you've worked for? Because this is me and Wesley and Gert Clark. You need more?
Because this is one more picture than you have to prove you're a Democrat and you give a damn about who wins elections.
I paid $50 for those flowers and met them at the airport. We had two vehicles , one for them and one for the press, so we had a nice evening riding to and from the venue.
You want to call me a Republican?
Screw you.

168Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/7/2019, 10:12 pm

Telstar

Telstar

bigdog wrote:Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 86672510
 Where's your picture proud Democrat with whatever political candidate you've worked for? Because this is me and Wesley and Gert Clark. You need more?
Because this is one more picture than you have to prove you're a Democrat and you give a damn about who wins elections.

I give a rats ass about you and your pictures. Go ahead and post as many as you like, if that turns you:twisted: on.

169Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/7/2019, 10:39 pm

bigdog

No, it doesn't turn me on to post pictures on here, that's your thing and Sals. But I'm not going to be called a Republican by somebody that sits on an internet forum and mouths off about who I voted for nearly 50 years ago when this country was completely different from what it is today. I never was a hippie, I hate to disappoint you. I was in college and I had a nearly full time job and I just didn't have the time. And I dated a lot of guys in the military back then, which I guess would be unacceptable in your view of the 60's too. My brother was Air Force, my husband was Air Force before I met him, and I didn't blame the military for fighting the war.
I became a Democrat when Bill Clinton's presidency convinced me that I didn't have to be completely insane to be one. I didn't have to be so far to the left that I had to pretend that we could all follow the words in "imagine" and the whole world would just put down their weapons and go out into a field and make love all day long. Because reality never was like that and it never will be.

I'm a Bill Clinton democrat, a Joe Biden democrat, and whether you want to admit it or not, probably more of a Barack Obama democrat than you will ever be. Because he wasn't a fool. He knew politics was a job and it meant crawling around in the shit sometimes to get some little part of what he wanted, because it was a start. That's what Obamacare is, just a start.

he's not "progressive" enough for you, don't vote for him. But what you are most likely going to find is that most Democrats, which I Am, are still not as pure as you want them to be.
Because Biden is probably still going to be the nominee.

170Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/7/2019, 11:13 pm

Telstar

Telstar

bigdog wrote:No, it doesn't turn me on to post pictures on here, that's your thing and Sals. But I'm not going to be called a Republican by somebody that sits on an internet forum and mouths off about who I voted for nearly 50 years ago when this country was completely different from what it is today. I never was a hippie, I hate to disappoint you. I was in college and I had a nearly full time job and I just didn't have the time. And I dated a lot of guys in the military back then, which I guess would be unacceptable in your view of the 60's too. My brother was Air Force, my husband was Air Force before I met him, and I didn't blame the military for fighting the war.
I became a Democrat when Bill Clinton's presidency convinced me that I didn't have to be completely insane to be one. I didn't have to be so far to the left that I had to pretend that we could all follow the words in "imagine" and the whole world would just put down their weapons and go out into a field and make love all day long. Because reality never was like that and it never will be.

I'm a Bill Clinton democrat, a Joe Biden democrat, and whether you want to admit it or not, probably more of a Barack Obama democrat than you will ever be. Because he wasn't a fool. He knew politics was a job and it meant crawling around in the shit sometimes to get some little part of what he wanted, because it was a start. That's what Obamacare is, just a start.

he's not "progressive" enough for you, don't vote for him. But what you are most likely going to find is that most Democrats, which I Am, are still not as pure as you want them to be.
Because Biden is probably still going to be the nominee.

I'll vote for him too if he's nominated. I'm not going to say I won't vote for him if my pick isn't nominated like some out of control closeted republican and sit it out so that Trump wins again. Only semi-democrats think like that. Anyway skip the midnight snack and take a bite out of this instead. Try it you'll like it. Twisted Evil

Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Bigdog10

171Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/8/2019, 11:22 am

bigdog

Cute caption. Very Happy

Kamala Harris will still lose a good third of white, centrist Democrats if she runs on a platform of giving away free money based on race alone. That may very well be enough to toss an election to Trump.
Helping people in poverty is one thing. There is a trailer park full of elderly people on Social Security about a mile from my house that are all being evicted in 2 months. The owner is selling the land at a huge profit because Navy Federal is making a huge expansion nearby and employees are looking for homes in the area. These people average $700 a month in income. That's their social security checks, and it's all they have.  You tell me why those aren't the people she's talking about helping  instead of  handing out reparations to people who may not even need them? Some of the park occupants are African Americans too, probably at least half, and they are desperate. But so are the older white people who will have no homes at all in a couple of months.  Basing government aid on race alone is discriminatory. And I'm not the only REAL Democrat that thinks that. The party does not  belong to only the progressive wing. Progressives are  free to express their  opinions, and to try and change the drift of the party. But you nor anyone else has the authority to say who is a Democrat and who is not.

I'm sure I will vote for her if she's nominated, but I will probably be swallowing back the vomit in my mouth if I do.
But I won't apologize for decisions made nearly 50 years ago based on another time and another place, a time when Americans did not know every secret hidden behind the White House doors.
It was also a time when Americans still thought they could win Vietnam and leave with honor. They would have crucified Nixon had we left with our tails between our legs at the beginning of his presidency, rather than at the end of his presidency when they knew there was no other way out.

I have no reason to apologize for being a Republican then because every racist I knew in Pensacola back then was a Democrat.  
Today, they are all Republicans.  And I definitely am not.

And do me, that's pretty much the ultimate insult.

172Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/8/2019, 11:50 am

Telstar

Telstar

bigdog wrote:Cute caption. Very Happy

I'm sure I will vote for her if she's nominated, but I will probably be swallowing back the vomit in my mouth if I do.
But I won't apologize for decisions made nearly 50 years ago based on another time and another place, a time when Americans did not know every secret hidden behind the White House doors.
It was also a time when Americans still thought they could win Vietnam and leave with honor. They would have crucified Nixon had we left with our tails between our legs at the beginning of his presidency, rather than at the end of his presidency when they knew there was no other way out.

I have no reason to apologize for being a Republican then because every racist I knew in Pensacola back then was a Democrat.  
Today, they are all Republicans.  And I definitely am not.

Swallowing a little vomit is good, cuts down on the food bills. I'm just glad I never voted republican. Just thinking of all those innocent Americans that died in a stupid bloody war makes me shiver. I'm glad their blood isn't on my hands because I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if it was. So what's wrong with crucifying Nixon? So instead of being a republican why not move away from racist shithole Pensacola? Oh that's right, the beeches. Here's hoping the red tide doesn't spoil the summer and hopefully the hurricane season doesn't wash every Pensacola racist and their cursed property out to sea where it belongs. Good riddance to dead racists and useless flotsam and jetsam. Twisted Evil

173Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/8/2019, 2:21 pm

bigdog

What's wrong with crucifying Nixon for the war? Because he did not start it, did he? Why not crucify Obama for remaining in the Middle East for the whole 8 years he was in office. I haven't heard you do that, have you? Don't say because he didn't start it, he inherited it. So did Nixon.
The difference is that Nixon, finally, brought the troops home. And he ended the draft, which was a huge issue back then.

I don't know how old you are, but just listening to MSNBC and they said that older African American voters (the baby boomer generation) are still firmly in Joe Biden's camp. Could it be because it's them, and not the Generation Xers and the Millennials who actually lived through those times back then?
Generation X and Millennials got their knowledge of the entire Nixon presidency from an Oliver Stone Movie. Ask any one of them, and they'll tell you Nixon was so crazy he wandered the halls of the White House at night talking to pictures on the walls. Just a by the way, that was Anthony Hopkins that did that, he played it very well in the movie.

I have never defended Nixon over Watergate, and he needed to either leave office or be impeached. Ask millennials if Nixon was impeached, btw, and they will tell you he was. No, he was not. But they don't know that because they don't know shit about history.

Why don't I leave Pensacola, I was born here, my family is here, my husband's family is here, our children are here, except for my son who is only 3 hours away in New Orleans. And you've obviously never seen Pensacola or you'd know why people live here. We are central to some of the best vacation spots in America- 5 hours to Atlanta, 3 hours to New Orleans, 7 hours to Savannah, and 7 hours to Orlando. My kids went to Disney World so many times when they were young that they could navigate through the place without a map. In addition, I'm a Gulf Coaster, and that's a culture that you don't understand unless you're here. We have a Crawfish festival, just like in New Orleans, our heritage is Spanish, French, and British, as much as it is American. And since my husband and I were avid scuba divers in our younger days, the Gulf of Mexico has some of the best diving anywhere. We spent many fantastic days diving in the Gulf, coming up and catching a few red snapper to take home for dinner. We didn't have to go on vacation to do that. You want a f-cking ad for my hometown, I can give you one. Our historic district is beautiful, spanish design with wrought iron balconies on a lot of the buildings, just like New Orleans, and also Mobile, Ala, by the way. The Gulf Coast in general has a lot of beautiful old buildings with wrought iron balconies and vines hanging over the streets. We have two and three hundred year old oaks in our parks with beautiful spanish moss hanging from the branches. And yes, we have the whitest sand in the world on our beaches.

Why the hell would I want to leave, just because there are racists here. You have on some massive blinders if you don't think you have a racist next door, or down the street somewhere near you.

You move if you want to move. I hope you don't come here though and pollute our beautiful water with all that shit coming out of you mouth today.

174Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/8/2019, 2:55 pm

bigdog

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gabbard-hits-harris-for-false-accusation-that-biden-is-racist/ar-AAE1Opb?ocid=spartandhp

At least there is one Democratic candidate for POTUS willing to say Harris was accusing Biden of racism during that debate. And Gabbard is absolutely correct.

Okay, continuing on my advertisement for Pensacola: (and I can continue for days if I want to), if you like history, we have two 1800's forts here in Pensacola, one was a Union fort and one a Confederate during the Civil War, and those are interesting to visit. We have an arts festival a couple of times a year and artists from all over America come to show their wares, we have concerts with well known performers, and if you want to see anyone in particular, you can always drive over to New Orleans to the Saenger as I did awhile back to see Bill Maher. Because New Orleans is a short trip, once you become used to driving it. In fact, we will be heading over there this week for my son's birthday. We have a really good local museum which has been around since my childhood, called TT Wentworth Museum, and that's worth a trip to Pensacola to visit on its own. We also have the museum of Naval Aviation, we have our own haunted lighthouse (doesn't every town in Florida), and some of the best restaurants in America (McGuire's Irish Pub and Jacksons), Both men and boys still open the doors for women here, offer their seats on buses to older people, and people generally say ma'am and sir to you if they don't know your name.
I'm sure that is grotesquely sexist and far too Southern to suit you, but being born here, I've always enjoyed the small civilities of this part of the country.

Like I said, you need to check out all your neighbors if you think someone should move to get away from the racists, because they are not all here in the South. They are all over America and all over the planet.Running away is a stupid answer to the problem.

175Democrats Debate lineup - Page 7 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup 7/8/2019, 4:23 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

bigdog wrote:LOL  Telstar, I never know what your rolling eyes emoticon means.

I don't know if you remember either Hubert Humphreys or Walter Mondale, who were the people Nixon ran against, if I remember right.

This was during the "real cold war" when it had only been 6 years since the Cuban Missile Crisis which could have caused the extinction of mankind from the planet.Americans were very concerned about Vietnam spreading into a world war with China. Foreign Policy was a number one issue.

Humphreys or Mondale were strong on Civil Rights at the time, but neither of them had any decent foreign policy credentials. Humphreys had been Johnson's VP, and Johnson was not exactly a foreign policy genius. Johnson was a big drag on Humphreys, no doubt about it. I don't think people trusted him with Vietnam anymore than they trusted Johnson with it. Voting Nixon made perfect sense.  And after his first very successful term with all the above successes, he had no real competition in Mondale.

People not around back then have learned a strange view of history, IMO. Americans needed a strong leader and I felt the same way. Nixon was it.
It wasn't that complicated and I make no apologies.

I was around back then, and I think you're a blooming idiot.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum