Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The wrongful attack of CNN at the press conference

+7
Telstar
VectorMan
othershoe1030
dumpcare
knothead
Sal
2seaoat
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

RealLindaL

knothead wrote:You go Linda . . . . not sure where you (or othershoe) get the energy but I'll have what you are having . . . . . .  and make that a double please!
Good post.

Thanks, knot. Kind support like yours helps keep the "energy" going, though it certainly does get discouraging sometimes, like talking to a wall.....

Telstar

Telstar

RealLindaL wrote:
knothead wrote:You go Linda . . . . not sure where you (or othershoe) get the energy but I'll have what you are having . . . . . .  and make that a double please!
Good post.

Thanks, knot.  Kind support like yours helps keep the "energy" going, though it certainly does get discouraging sometimes, like talking to a wall.....

Maybe the best way to deal with a wall is to ignore it and go around it. There are sensible people you can talk to, just saying.  Smile

RealLindaL

Telstar wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:
Good post.

Thanks, knot.  Kind support like yours helps keep the "energy" going, though it certainly does get discouraging sometimes, like talking to a wall.....

Maybe the best way to deal with a wall is to ignore it and go around it. There are sensible people you can talk to, just saying.  Smile

Of course you're right, Tel, and I've been sorely tempted to do just that on more than one occasion.  (Actually, I've been pretty successful lately in not bothering to read PeeDawg's threads at all, so at least I'm making some progress. Smile )  Still, sometimes it's hard to let the most outrageous things stand unchallenged, and/or not to lend another voice to the battle against unyielding ignorance.

As for "sensible people" to talk to, do you mean sensible conservatives?  Do we have one or two of those, at least?  Surely you don't mean I should only talk with those I agree with?   Smile

knothead

knothead

RealLindaL wrote:
Telstar wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:
Good post.

Of course you're right, Tel, and I've been sorely tempted to do just that on more than one occasion.  (Actually, I've been pretty successful lately in not bothering to read PeeDawg's threads at all, so at least I'm making some progress. Smile )  Still, sometimes it's hard to let the most outrageous things stand unchallenged, and/or not to lend another voice to the battle against unyielding ignorance.

As for "sensible people" to talk to, do you mean sensible conservatives?  Do we have one or two of those, at least?  Surely you don't mean I should only talk with those I agree with?   Smile

sensible conservative, now I can say this could possibly rank as a classic oxymoron . . . . . . up there with military intelligence!

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

knothead wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:
Telstar wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:
Good post.

sensible conservative, now I can say this could possibly rank as a classic oxymoron . . . . . . up there with military intelligence!

How nice!

Nothing like a bigot!

The media has failed the nation. What was once investigative journalism from a neutral position is now skewed by partisans. Almost everything has a slant and bias... they've failed we the people.

knothead

knothead

PkrBum wrote:The media has failed the nation. What was once investigative journalism from a neutral position is now skewed by partisans. Almost everything has a slant and bias... they've failed we the people.

Me thinks we are all about to witness, close up and personal, an abject failure like this generation has never seen . . .

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PkrBum wrote:The media has failed the nation. What was once investigative journalism from a neutral position is now skewed by partisans. Almost everything has a slant and bias... they've failed we the people.
Absolutely.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

The fight for high ratings hooked the big media into giving away billions in free air time to Trump any time he called in to some program they'd clear a space for him. I wonder if they'd have done the same for Bernie?

Nothing like the election of a candidate that their editors all came out against eventually but it was too little too late. Now maybe they've been reminded of how important it is to be real news outlets and not just competitors for ratings. This is the market at work. Maybe we need a national news service like the BBC, no wait, that would be government run, too late for that.

Joanimaroni wrote:
Absolutely.

I also hold no politician above reproach... the whole idea of it bristles me. Lewis is a partisan hack imo.

Markle

Markle

othershoe1030 wrote:There's an even larger picture to be considered here too, which we should not lose sight of. It goes to the heart of the whole freedom of the press and reliability issue.

Before digital publishing we had print and radio and some TV reporting. Reporters competed among themselves for breaking news and scoops. They were largely self monitoring by their own editorial boards. There was competing pressure to break the latest news but with the extremely important and constant consideration that their reputation had to be maintained. News sources, as with people, in the long run don't have much more to stand on than their reputations for honesty and fairness.

Apparently the 35 page collection of memos from the MI6 agent had been circulating among news outlets and politicians alike for many months. None of them wanted to publish them because the information could not be verified. When the two page summary and its inclusion in the daily briefings for the president and the president elect was made known, BuzzFeed, as its editor said on the talk shows this morning, felt a need to let the public know what was behind the summary whether or not the information was accurate.
The wrongful attack of CNN at the press conference - Page 5 6117dd60-5286-4e72-aca8-16189154dc12_zpskdnlvjte
Now it looks as if the incoming administration is attempting to stir up and muddy the waters even more by trying to discredit all press, all information regarding them and their activities. How many times has Trump called the press "dishonest" and other similar names? At rallies on the campaign trail he has led his followers in booing and heckling against the press corps while they were  covering the event. This is a perfect cover and smoke screen for him to hide behind. If the public starts to doubt the authenticity of reports from news organizations then we are truly cut off from observing the workings of our government. To lump all news outlets together with the likes of BuzzFeed is self destructive insanity.

Carried to its extreme if the public completely buys into this idea that "the media" is bad and untrustworthy then what are we left with? It would put the public in the position of just reading tweets or listening to Kellyanne for the news. Of course it won't go that far but to undermine the press as Trump has done is to attempt to cut the legs out from under a very important and absolutely necessary element of our public discourse.

Wow! GIANT WORD SALAD in a desperate effort to defend the indefensible.

With few exceptions, the media IS bad and untrustworthy.

Why deny facts? Just go with the flow.

POLITICS
Obama, Democrats got 88 percent of 2008 contributions by TV network execs, writers, reporters
TOM SILEO
Contributor
1:38 PM 08/28/2010

[...]

Senior executives, on-air personalities, producers, reporters, editors, writers and other self-identifying employees of ABC, CBS and NBC contributed more than $1 million to Democratic candidates and campaign committees in 2008, according to an analysis by The Examiner of data compiled by the Center for Responsive Politics.

The Democratic total of $1,020,816 was given by 1,160 employees of the three major broadcast television networks, with an average contribution of $880.

By contrast, only 193 of the employees contributed to Republican candidates and campaign committees, for a total of $142,863. The average Republican contribution was $744.

[...]

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/08/28/obama-democrats-got-88-percent-of-2008-contributions-by-tv-network-execs-writers-reporters/#ixzz4VsyXtAhq

LOTS more if you wish.

knothead

knothead

Markle wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:There's an even larger picture to be considered here too, which we should not lose sight of. It goes to the heart of the whole freedom of the press and reliability issue.

Before digital publishing we had print and radio and some TV reporting. Reporters competed among themselves for breaking news and scoops. They were largely self monitoring by their own editorial boards. There was competing pressure to break the latest news but with the extremely important and constant consideration that their reputation had to be maintained. News sources, as with people, in the long run don't have much more to stand on than their reputations for honesty and fairness.

Apparently the 35 page collection of memos from the MI6 agent had been circulating among news outlets and politicians alike for many months. None of them wanted to publish them because the information could not be verified. When the two page summary and its inclusion in the daily briefings for the president and the president elect was made known, BuzzFeed, as its editor said on the talk shows this morning, felt a need to let the public know what was behind the summary whether or not the information was accurate.
The wrongful attack of CNN at the press conference - Page 5 6117dd60-5286-4e72-aca8-16189154dc12_zpskdnlvjte
Now it looks as if the incoming administration is attempting to stir up and muddy the waters even more by trying to discredit all press, all information regarding them and their activities. How many times has Trump called the press "dishonest" and other similar names? At rallies on the campaign trail he has led his followers in booing and heckling against the press corps while they were  covering the event. This is a perfect cover and smoke screen for him to hide behind. If the public starts to doubt the authenticity of reports from news organizations then we are truly cut off from observing the workings of our government. To lump all news outlets together with the likes of BuzzFeed is self destructive insanity.

Carried to its extreme if the public completely buys into this idea that "the media" is bad and untrustworthy then what are we left with? It would put the public in the position of just reading tweets or listening to Kellyanne for the news. Of course it won't go that far but to undermine the press as Trump has done is to attempt to cut the legs out from under a very important and absolutely necessary element of our public discourse.

Wow!  GIANT WORD SALAD in a desperate effort to defend the indefensible.

With few exceptions, the media IS bad and untrustworthy.

Why deny facts?  Just go with the flow.

POLITICS
Obama, Democrats got 88 percent of 2008 contributions by TV network execs, writers, reporters
TOM SILEO
Contributor
1:38 PM 08/28/2010

[...]

Senior executives, on-air personalities, producers, reporters, editors, writers and other self-identifying employees of ABC, CBS and NBC contributed more than $1 million to Democratic candidates and campaign committees in 2008, according to an analysis by The Examiner of data compiled by the Center for Responsive Politics.

The Democratic total of $1,020,816 was given by 1,160 employees of the three major broadcast television networks, with an average contribution of $880.

By contrast, only 193 of the employees contributed to Republican candidates and campaign committees, for a total of $142,863. The average Republican contribution was $744.

[...]

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/08/28/obama-democrats-got-88-percent-of-2008-contributions-by-tv-network-execs-writers-reporters/#ixzz4VsyXtAhq

LOTS more if you wish.

They just may support the Democrats because they believe in freedom of the press which is now under assault.

knothead wrote:They just may support the Democrats because they believe in freedom of the press which is now under assault.

Hahahahahaha

knothead

knothead

PkrBum wrote:
knothead wrote:They just may support the Democrats because they believe in freedom of the press which is now under assault.

Hahahahahaha

It is funny in a sordid sort of way . . .

knothead wrote:
PkrBum wrote:

Hahahahahaha

It is funny in a sordid sort of way  . . .

There's never been a president that went after whistleblowers harder than Obama. Holder went so far as to get rid of the leakers of their gun running to Mexican cartels and wiretapping reporters... and even their parents. I know you give them a pass... but you can't have it both ways. Sheeesh.

RealLindaL

PkrBum wrote:
knothead wrote:
PkrBum wrote:

Hahahahahaha

There's never been a president that went after whistleblowers harder than Obama. Holder went so far as to get rid of the leakers of their gun running to Mexican cartels and wiretapping reporters... and even their parents. I know you give them a pass... but you can't have it both ways. Sheeesh.

Holder is a murderer now?????

Markle

Markle

knothead wrote:

Me thinks Methinks we are all about to witness, close up and personal, an abject failure like this generation has never seen . . .  

We've endured shared misery the past eight years. There is only way to go, up. Make America Great Again!

Markle

Markle

RealLindaL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
knothead wrote:
PkrBum wrote:

Hahahahahaha

How convenient it is for you to forget Fast and Furious and the deaths caused by those guns.

You've forgotten Benghazi too haven't you?

Telstar

Telstar

Markle wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
knothead wrote:
PkrBum wrote:

Hahahahahaha

How convenient it is for you to forget Fast and Furious and the deaths caused by those guns.

You've forgotten Benghazi too haven't you?

RealLindaL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
knothead wrote:
PkrBum wrote:

Hahahahahaha

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATF_gunwalking_scandal

During Operation Fast and Furious, the largest "gunwalking" probe, the ATF monitored the sale of about 2,000[1]:203[15] firearms, of which only 710 were recovered as of February 2012.[1]:203 A number of straw purchasers have been arrested and indicted; however, as of October 2011, none of the targeted high-level cartel figures had been arrested.[6]

Guns tracked by the ATF have been found at crime scenes on both sides of the Mexico–United States border, and the scene where United States Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry was killed December 2010. The "gunwalking" operations became public in the aftermath of Terry's murder.[2] Dissenting ATF agents came forward to Congress in response.[16][17] According to Humberto Benítez Treviño, former Mexican Attorney General and chair of the justice committee in the Chamber of Deputies, related firearms have been found at numerous crime scenes in Mexico where at least 150 Mexican civilians were maimed or killed.[18] Revelations of "gunwalking" led to controversy in both countries, and diplomatic relations were damaged.[2]

As a result of a dispute over the release of Justice Department documents related to the scandal, Attorney General Eric Holder became the first sitting member of the Cabinet of the United States to be held in contempt of Congress on June 28, 2012.[19][20] Earlier that month, President Barack Obama had invoked executive privilege for the first time in his presidency over the same documents.[21][22]

Fate of walked guns Edit

Since the end of Operation Fast and Furious, related firearms have continued to be discovered in criminal hands. As reported in September 2011, the Mexican government stated that an undisclosed number of guns found at about 170 crime scenes were linked to Fast and Furious.[54] U.S. Representative Darrell Issa (R–Calif.–49) estimated that more than 200 Mexicans were killed by guns linked to the operation.[55] Reflecting on the operation, Attorney General Eric Holder said that the United States government is "...losing the battle to stop the flow of illegal guns to Mexico,"[56] and that the effects of Operation Fast and Furious will most likely continue to be felt for years, as more walked guns appear at Mexican crime scenes.[57]

In April 2011, a large cache of weapons, 40 traced to Fast and Furious but also including military-grade weapons difficult to obtain legally in the US such as an anti-aircraft machine gun and grenade launcher, was found in the home of Jose Antonio Torres Marrufo, a prominent Sinaloa Cartel member, in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico. Torres Marrufo was indicted, but evaded law enforcement for a brief time.[58][59] Finally, on February 4, 2012, Marrufo was arrested by the Mexican Police.[60]

On May 29, 2011, four Mexican Federal Police helicopters attacked a cartel compound, where they were met with heavy fire, including from a .50 caliber rifle. According to a report from the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, this rifle is likely linked to Fast and Furious.[2]

There have been questions raised over a possible connection between Fast and Furious and the death of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent Jaime Zapata on February 15, 2011.[61][62] The gun used to kill Zapata was purchased by Otilio Osorio in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, Texas[63] (outside the area of responsibility for the ATF Phoenix field division[64] which conducted Fast and Furious), and then smuggled into Mexico. Congressional investigators have stated that Osorio was known by the ATF to be a straw purchaser months before he purchased the gun used to kill Zapata, leading them to question ATF surveillance tactics[63] and to suspect a Texas-based operation similar to Fast and Furious.[65]

In addition to Otilio Osorio, a Texas-based drug and gun trafficker, Manuel Barba, was involved trafficking another of the guns recovered in the Zapata shooting. The timeline of this case, called "Baytown Crew", shows guns were allowed to walk during surveillance that began June 7, 2010. On August 20, 2010, Barba received a rifle later recovered in the Zapata ambush and sent it with nine others to Mexico. The warrant for Barba's arrest was issued February 14, 2011, the day before Zapata was shot.[66] On January 30, 2012, Barba, who claimed to be working with Los Zetas in illegally exporting at least 44 weapons purchased through straw buyers, was sentenced to 100 months in prison.[67]

On November 23, 2012, two firearms linked to the ATF were found at the scene of a shootout between Sinaloa cartel members and the Mexican military. One of the weapons was an AK-47 type rifle trafficked by Fast and Furious suspect Uriel Patino, and the other was an FN Herstal pistol originally purchased by an ATF agent. Mexican beauty queen Maria Susana Flores Gamez and four others were killed.[68][69]

One of the nineteen guns Mexican authorities said they found at the hideout of Joaquin Guzman aka El Chapo, after his January 2016 capture, was associated with the Fast and Furious operation. The Justice Department confirmed that the .50-caliber rifle was bought in July 2010 in a straw purchase by someone not known to the ATF at the time, and stated the weapon was not associated with any other crime. In a letter to congressional leaders, Assistant Attorney General Peter Kadzik, head of the Justice Department’s legislative affairs office, wrote, "ATF and the department deeply regret that firearms associated with Operation Fast and Furious have been used by criminals in the commission of violent crimes, particularly crimes resulting in the deaths of civilians and law enforcement officials."[70][71]

2seaoat

President Bush initiated Fast and Furious under his ATF director. I need to help some folks understand what constitutes the crime of murder. Criminals who shoot people are the ones who commit murder. Any fool knows in America the manufacturer, and the distributors of firearms are given product liability immunity and are not held responsible for the murders committed with their weapons. It is amusing that the same fools argue that Chicago's gun violence is directly related to gun control, yet no mention of charging those responsible for distributing guns as murderers. You just cannot make up the naive misuse of concepts when spewing political propaganda. I have little patience for children pretending they know how to use grown up words.

2seaoat wrote:President Bush initiated Fast and Furious under his ATF director.  I need to help some folks understand what constitutes the crime of murder.  Criminals who shoot people are the ones who commit murder.  Any fool knows in America the manufacturer, and the distributors of firearms are given product liability immunity and are not held responsible for the murders committed with their weapons.  It is amusing that the same fools argue that Chicago's gun violence is directly related to gun control, yet no mention of charging those responsible for distributing guns as murderers.  You just cannot make up the naive misuse of concepts when spewing political propaganda.  I have little patience for children pretending they know how to use grown up words.

Bush's program ended well before Obama took office... and they actual TRACKED the weapons.

You seriously couldn't be a bigger shill. Why can't you be objective?

Sal

Sal

The ATF's policy of gun walking began during the Bush administration.

When it came to the attention of the Obama administration, it was immediately halted.

Just the facts.

Thank you, President Obama.

Sal wrote:The ATF's policy of gun walking began during the Bush administration.

When it came to the attention of the Obama administration, it was immediately halted.

Just the facts.

Thank you, President Obama.

That's false. Not that you care... we know. But nonetheless false. What a putz... lol.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum