Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Olympics

+6
Markle
Floridatexan
Joanimaroni
Hallmarkgard
RealLindaL
2seaoat
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

51Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/11/2016, 9:41 pm

2seaoat

I have tired of swimming. Showing semis in prime time does not make sense to me when other events could get some coverage.

52Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 12:48 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Loved watching Simone Manuel win gold.......awesome.

53Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 1:28 am

RealLindaL

And "elderly" Phelps winning fourth gold in a row, by a full body length? How is that tiresome? I love it.

54Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 1:46 am

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:I have to admit the water is blue in the Kayak whitewater course and puke green in the diving events........I think I would have to be talked to and shown why I would want to submerge my head in that split pea soup pool.

For the first time in many years, it is an outdoor pool. Obviously, the Olympics maintenance has no clue as to how to properly chlorinate such pools.

55Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 1:52 am

2seaoat

And "elderly" Phelps winning fourth gold in a row, by a full body length? How is that tiresome? I love it.

Both kids were on a swim team for two years and the prelims and semis drive a spectator into a daze. To have the Olympics filling time showing semis is absurd and boring. I turned it off to watch pre season NFL football. However, what Phelps has been doing in the finals is unparalleled.

56Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 2:18 am

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:And "elderly" Phelps winning fourth gold in a row, by a full body length? How is that tiresome? I love it.

Both kids were on a swim team for two years and the prelims and semis drive a spectator into a daze.   To have the Olympics filling time showing semis is absurd and boring.  I turned it off to watch pre season NFL football.  However, what Phelps has been doing in the finals is unparalleled.

Unparalleled is a good word for it.   As for football, I'd rather watch just about anything else.  

And I'm betting that the friends, teammates and families of those participating in the prelims and semis, as well as the participants themselves who worked their proverbial butts off to make it to Rio, wouldn't particularly care for the "absurd and boring" characterization.  

Goodnight all,
LL

57Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 8:07 am

2seaoat

as well as the participants themselves who worked their proverbial butts off to make it to Rio, wouldn't particularly care for the "absurd and boring" characterization.

Exactly! the absence of coverage of other sports to show semis in swimming probably makes participants in other sports scream with the lack of coverage.

58Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 8:26 am

I agree... we had an American in the boxing final, two young Americans in the tennis semis, and many other sports deserve attention. The sub channels seem dedicated to foreign match ups.

59Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 8:44 am

2seaoat

I have not seen coverage of the other sports.....a cursory summary, but hour after hour on swimming........I mean.....lets have a fifty.....hundred.....two hundred......four hundred......etc.......and lets do a breast.......back......freestyle........hold it wilbur......lets combine them......meanwhile kids who worked their butts off get no coverage for viewers to watch some Americans coasting in a semi to save themselves for the finals.......I have not seen one boxing match covered.

60Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 12:11 pm

2seaoat

I am watching badminton and only 10% of the seats are filled......they could not even show five minutes of the same on prime time, instead we listen to talking heads and watch semis.........amazing volley play.

61Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 1:52 pm

2seaoat

I was a reasonably good badminton player and in graduate school I would play the game with my wife who was then my live in girlfriend. We would play for hours and I would literally torture her with making her run from one side to the other of the court exhausting her and letting her almost beat me every game. She really liked almost beating me but one day I let a rally go too long and a light bulb went off in her head and she simply sat down and cried. So through this torture she actually was getting to be a very good player. I worked when in college so when a tournament came up she wanted to play but I had to work all day saturday at a pottery. A mutual friend Steve was asked to play and they entered the tournament and my wife was kicking asz. Well a guy on the other team made a smart asz comment toward my wife which I would have just laughed because I always knew my wife could kick most guys asz, but Steve decided to start jawing this guy.......next thing you know Steve is pounding this guy and two friends of the guy jump Steve which prompts my wife to start pulling them off steve when she jumps on this guy and releases her bladder all over him......she stopped the fight, but at that time there were about fifty spectators to the thriller in manilla which had a guy with a big pee stain on his chest and my wife with wet pants........I do not remember seeing two more sheepish people than steve and Mrs. Seaoat telling me what happened, but when you have two older brothers who used to torture and tease you, saving your partner was and instinct........but the peeing part.......I would always kid her when we would walk around campus that I heard a persn whisper.....hey thats the girl who pees on people......kinky.

62Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 3:23 pm

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:meanwhile kids who worked their butts off get no coverage for viewers to watch some Americans coasting in a semi to save themselves for the finals.......I have not seen one boxing match covered.

I note you keep talking about prime time.   Since you're at home, why not do some channel surfing during the day and enjoy other events?   They're all over the place -- on MSNBC, USA, Golf Channel, et al.  Aside from the usual prime time stuff you've seen, I've watched some phenomenal equestrian events  (including jumping and cross-country jumping -- missed the dressage, unfortunately), also archery, target shooting, skeet shooting, white water kayaking, cycling, table tennis, men's and women's beach volleyball (yeah I know you saw some of that), all sorts of other ball-play games from field hockey to soccer to (I think rugby, hubby was watching), and (right now) golf, just to name a few.

Last edited by RealLindaL on 8/12/2016, 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

63Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 3:50 pm

Sal

Sal

Track and Field has started.

An Ethiopian woman smashed the world record by 14 seconds in the 10,000 meter.

64Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 3:59 pm

2seaoat

This is what I wait for. Both my kids ran track and did field events. For six years they were at state as they were two years apart in school. What a thrill to see your kids running the 400 relay, high jumping, running the 200, and pole vaulting with the best in the State. I saw some amazing record breaking runs and performances which I will never forget. I cannot wait but I am really enjoying the archery right now and wish I was well to try one of these new weighted lightweight compound bows......I shot in competition in scouting but simply was not as good with a bow as I was with a gun. I hate to say this.....I am all in on these Rio games....except the swimming which I tired.

65Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 4:20 pm

2seaoat

I took fencing in college for a quarter. Loved it. I was over aggressive and got beat in the final tournament by a girl who was about five feet five and used a simple parry to win the match.....big aggressive men dominated by clever women.....I love the electronics........damn I want to do this also.....I have to realize I am a very sick old man, but the fun I used to have dominating other aggressive males, but that Joan of Arc, she neutralized our strength and cleverly used it against us.

66Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 4:24 pm

2seaoat

I can remember it as if it was yesterday....huge advantage because I have monkey arms and reach, but she simply took my lunge, executed a perfect parry, and before I could retract and defend she had planted a short jab into my chest winning the match.

67Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 4:45 pm

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:I am really enjoying the archery right now and wish I was well to try one of these new weighted lightweight compound bows......I shot in competition in scouting but simply was not as good with a bow as I was with a gun.  I hate to say this.....I am all in on these Rio games....except the swimming which I tired.

Well, glad to know you're enjoying more of the games.

As for archery, I was an instructor for several years at a summer camp and got to be a pretty good shot myself, including winning a tournament or two.  Owned a gorgeous 60-lb. Bear compound bow which I still miss and dearly wish I had, but it was lost down the halls of time, thanks to a rather inconsiderate college 'friend.'  I doubt I could even pull it now.

But today's bows totally turn me off.  Who wants all that ugly 'machinery' in the picture??  Takes all the beauty and romance out of the sport for me, and doubtless much of the challenge.  I loved it when it was just a simple bow and me --  not these rather ridic, Rube Goldberg-like contraptions.  Call me old fashioned; I don't care.

68Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 4:58 pm

Sal

Sal

RealLindaL wrote:

Well, glad to know you're enjoying more of the games.

As for archery, I was an instructor for several years at a summer camp and got to be a pretty good shot myself, including winning a tournament or two.  Owned a gorgeous 60-lb. Bear compound bow which I still miss and dearly wish I had, but it was lost down the halls of time, thanks to a rather inconsiderate college 'friend.'  I doubt I could even pull it now.

But today's bows totally turn me off.  Who wants all that ugly 'machinery' in the picture??  Takes all the beauty and romance out of the sport for me, and doubtless much of the challenge.  I loved it when it was just a simple bow and me --  not these rather ridic, Rube Goldberg-like contraptions.  Call me old fashioned; I don't care.

You might like this video ...

69Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 5:04 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

RealLindaL wrote:As for football, I'd rather watch just about anything else.

Anathema! College football is the only sport I am interested in. I love it and follow it pretty closely, and often talk about it here.... Razz

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

70Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 5:07 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Saul Alinsky wrote:Track and Field has started.

An Ethiopian woman smashed the world record by 14 seconds in the 10,000 meter.
You sure it was only 14 sec......she was awesome.

71Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 6:52 pm

I saw that too... I think the first four women broke the previous wr.

72Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 8:16 pm

2seaoat

Mens basketball is not coasting or playing team Ball. They just won, but what terrible defense. The end of the game you leave a three point shooter to try to double team somebody near the half court line.....geeeez coach K is going to lay an egg if he does not get some offensive movement and team play. They seem so out of sync as the individual talent is superior, but team play always can beat better talent in individuals......they got lucky tonight.

73Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 8:42 pm

I'm not sure why he finally put green back in with 2 mins left and then left him in the five spot. Strange.

74Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 9:03 pm

RealLindaL

Saul Alinsky wrote:

You might like this video ...

I did, Sal, thanks.   Some of the demonstrated form was pretty awful, but the results speak for themselves.  

And  yeah, it was great to see the old simple equipment still in use, even if not in the Olympics.    Thanks again.      __LL

75Olympics - Page 3 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 9:05 pm

2seaoat

The international team play is going to prevail if some people do not take a back seat and set some motion and picks........my jaw just dropped on that last three being a clean shot.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum