Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Olympics

+6
Markle
Floridatexan
Joanimaroni
Hallmarkgard
RealLindaL
2seaoat
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

76Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 9:09 pm

Sal

Sal

Just got home and turned it on, and it's fucking swimming AGAIN.

UGH.

77Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 9:13 pm

2seaoat

Just got home and turned it on, and it's fucking swimming AGAIN.

UGH.

At least we are not looking at semis. Way too many swimming events being televised in prime time........I would rather see some tape of cool stuff in other areas....overdose.

78Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 10:16 pm

2seaoat

100 meter woman. Love it. I remember my daughter getting four varsity letters in track and being the captain of her University track team. I remember the line ups, the explosive starts and the joy of running. We are finally at the part I love. Such incredible discipline and form. Little girls running around the playground. No big bucks daddy training a child at six, no weird make up a competition, just something so pure that every human being has ran with joy as a child. I cannot get enough of track and field as history now connects going thousands of years back.

79Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 10:45 pm

2seaoat

It is incredible the evolution of modern times in these events. I just checked and the Olympic High jump my daughters 5 foot four inch jump in her Junior year would have won the gold medal in the woman's high jump in the late 1920s, and my sons personal best pole vault height would have gotten him the gold after WWII. Diet, training, equipment, and technique have revolutionized times, but the 100 meter is excruciating slow to advance the record because there are absolute limits to the physiology of the human body and we now have seen women high jumping almost six feet eight inches. My daughter jumped higher than I ever did using the western roll into sand pits........my son had incredible equipment compared to Don Laz and Mr. Wheaties Richards who did incredible heights in pole vault with basically a wooden pole and a sand pit with some padding.

This is the purity of the Olympic games. A swimmer who had coaches and parents who could afford keeping them in programs can excel, but a kid without the same never has a chance.....in volleyball they were selecting kids in seventh grade for club ball and kids were specializing with really tough competition to get into the best club where anybody who made that club would get a full scholarship........but running......a little girl in a slum in a poor nation can advance to the highest platform based on beautiful god given natural talent.

80Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/12/2016, 11:06 pm

Sal

Sal

Michelle Carter is my hero.

She is awesome.

81Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/13/2016, 1:13 am

RealLindaL

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:As for football, I'd rather watch just about anything else.

Anathema! College football is the only sport I am interested in. I love it and follow it pretty closely, and often talk about it here.... Razz

I know, Z-man, sorry. And I know my position on football -- especially of the college variety -- is pure sacrilege in these parts. Just being honest. Personally, I detest the game for a variety of reasons. What can I say? Each to his/her own opinion.

82Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/13/2016, 12:40 pm

2seaoat

I would love for Bolt to try wide out in the NFL. He would just blow by defenders and if you had a strong armed qb....he could like Willie Gault just stretch out the defenses for tight ends and play action.

83Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/13/2016, 8:21 pm

2seaoat

Cannot wait until the 100 meter men and women.

84Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/13/2016, 8:43 pm

2seaoat

They are doing the 10k, and doing sub 4 minute miles....fricking amazing.....I remember Ryan breaking the four minute mark.

85Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/14/2016, 11:25 am

2seaoat

Women's basketball is just extraordinary. My wife could not play sports as women just barely had the vote, could not work certain jobs, and their fight for modernity and equality in American society was a century long battle. When I watch the Chinese women, and other women who were like grim quiet participants in prior Olympics, I am seeing women smiling and celebrating freedom. The basketball is of high quality and America has exported the same all over the world, but they also are exporting modernity.

86Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/14/2016, 1:08 pm

2seaoat

I will never be able to watch sync swimming without giggling as if I was watching one of the Saturday Night Live skits.

87Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/14/2016, 3:02 pm

2seaoat

Now horse jumping barriers........great. One of the ladies I share office space with does Fox hunts and jumps. My wife's friend who was an art teacher in her district retired, and the fall after her retirement was competing in jumps at a meet, and fell and suffered head injuries which resulted in her death. She loved her horses and jumping, but I did horse riding as a kid for two summers and I found it the most boring thing my mother forced my brother and I to do. I simply do not get a thing about riding horses in the Olympics. It would make more sense to have people race on other people's backs in the pool than to ride a horse and competed.......this is about wealthy people who can handle the huge cost of maintaining horses and competing in this type of event......1% competition in the Olympics.....oh boy.

88Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/14/2016, 7:51 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I remember when women's basketball only allowed 3 dribbles and you could not cross the half court line,  was in grade school . The next year they allowed on player from each team to cross the center with unlimited dribbles......so excited to be point.

89Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/14/2016, 8:32 pm

2seaoat

If you have watched women's competition over the last fifty years it was almost universal that women were not allowed to show their joy and happiness. It was this stoic grind of all work and no smiles. I am so excited to see the glitter, the smiles, high fives and the celebration of sports. Modernity and the Olympics go hand in hand with the role of women showing the world that equality and liberty is contagious.

90Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/14/2016, 8:33 pm

2seaoat

I cannot wait for the show down in the men's 100 meter.

91Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/14/2016, 10:51 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Justin got silver.....I am proud of him. I have met him and he is genuinely a nice humble man.
Congratulations to Justin.

92Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/14/2016, 11:34 pm

2seaoat

He would of owned the era but for Bolt.....he jumped to a great start, but Bolt is special.

93Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/15/2016, 6:50 am

Sal

Sal

He is Alydar, and Bolt's legacy is Affirmed.

94Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/15/2016, 12:42 pm

2seaoat

Bolt in the NFL running deep would cause double coverage every time. I realize he is older, but nobody is going to easily take a ball away from a six five receiver with that speed. I do not know if he has hands. I do not know if he can take contact. However, if he was running a sideline in Chicago with Culter's arm, he would open the rest of the field for the tight end, a back out of the backfield. I wish the Bears could talk him into some frigid December play off games.......nope.....just wishful thinking.......the Bears are allergic to playoff games.

95Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/19/2016, 2:08 pm

2seaoat

I am watching the woman's race walking. Absurd. However, I would be lying if I told you I did not like the wiggle. I remember as a kid seeing a movie about the Olympics in Japan and it was called walk don't run with Jim Hutton who is the father of Tim Hutton of ordinary people fame.......time is passing quickly now.

96Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/19/2016, 9:05 pm

2seaoat

Oh I love the women's pole vault.  The girl from New Zealand just cleared 15 9 inches and squealed with joy.....that is an incredible height and would have been a Man's world record a generation ago.   The best part was her celebration.  I love track and field.   Not folks dancing around on a mat with twirly mcgigs floating over their heads as they dance and throw chit up in the air.......gawd.  Can we segment the olympics into x game olympics and traditional olympics......

97Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/19/2016, 9:07 pm

no

98Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/19/2016, 9:38 pm

2seaoat

The American 4 x 1 absolutely flawless. I remember my daughter running the anchor on their state relay team, and two exchanges dropped the baton, and she was the anchor and missed by less than a second qualifying for finals as she ran the fastest anchor in school history, and she never made a mistake. Parents and coaches came up to us saying they had never seen anything like that in their life, but my daughter always was laid back and it drove coaches crazy not being able to draw out that higher level performance, but if she got piszed it was amazing. The beauty of the human body at full speed is remarkable.

I remember she was quite the stud in basketball her eighth grade year and teams just started beating her up on the court to have any chance. I remember her getting knocked to the floor and getting hurt by an obvious intentional foul as she limped over to the bench. I watched the tears turn to a fixed stare as the other team rallied and was about eight points up after she left the game....she asked the coach if she could go back in and limped down the court the first ball possession and then just exploded stealing the ball, scoring at will and blowing the team out by fifteen points(Junior high games are not high scoring games) as she aggressively knocked the people over who had fouled her and punished every player on the other team.......next game Miss Priss. All girl but incredible when piszed.

99Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/19/2016, 9:51 pm

2seaoat

Bolt is incredible.

100Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics 8/19/2016, 9:56 pm

yep

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum