Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Olympics

+6
Markle
Floridatexan
Joanimaroni
Hallmarkgard
RealLindaL
2seaoat
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

1Olympics Empty Olympics 8/6/2016, 3:13 pm

2seaoat

Did not watch the opening ceremony......watching a little swimming which I have zero interest, and wait patiently for the only thing I watch the Olympics with a passion......Track and field. This is a true generational barometer, when my son cleared his personal best in high school in the pole vault, he would have been the gold medal winner in the first olympics after the war. When you see how diet, science, and training have expanded the human's physical limits, it makes you believe that anything is possible. I can watch better basketball, and I could care less about almost the entire other competitions, but track and field connects me with man going all the way back to the time of Greek competition.

2Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/6/2016, 3:49 pm

2seaoat

Watching volleyball........half the seats are empty. Horrible optics for NBC as beach volleyball is usually a huge draw for Americans in attendance........empty.

3Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/6/2016, 5:05 pm

2seaoat

I have always enjoyed watching women's volleyball. I remember taking my daughter to watch the nationals in Kohler center at the University of Wisconsin. She had 11 varsity letters and was being recruited in basketball, volleyball and track, and had offers in each sport, but she loved volleyball. When she saw the athleticism of Division I volleyball, she quickly learned that she was a large fish in a small pond. She was probably the 11 player on a 14 person team in college playing division one, but when you realize that the Olympic team is picked from the best from the Division I teams, it is just a whole other level of competition. This is one area I enjoy watching as she was a 5 11 middle blocker, you will see quick, strong, beautiful women playing middle blocker who are 6'4" and are incredible athletes. I cannot wait to see the times in track and field as humans advance physically. In the meantime, I am actually enjoying volleyball.

4Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/6/2016, 5:47 pm

RealLindaL

Watched a good part of the opening ceremonies but was totally turned off by the frequency of commercials -- and I'm not the only one complaining. It was the worst I'd ever seen. If they interrupt the games as frequently as they did the ceremonies I won't be watching much if it all. It's a huge distraction. Very disappointing.

5Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/6/2016, 6:23 pm

Hallmarkgard

Once upon a time, Olympians had real jobs. Now many start training before they can walk. Mega dollars and politics play a major role is the selection process. Hell of culture when people devote their entire lives, jumping hoops and hitting a ball. LOL Wonder why things are so messed up?

6Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/6/2016, 6:35 pm

2seaoat

Direct Tv channel 220 is playing the basketball. I was not real impressed watching this team when they were in Chicago, but I am watching the China game, and I think this is the best defensive team I have ever seen America field.

Butler, George, Green, Durant, and their bigs are just smothering the competition. I actually am enjoying this.

Wonder why things are so messed up?

That sounds like Donald Trump......like everything was better in the past.....hate to tell you this.....a stop watch tells you nope......life expectancy tells you nope......equality and opportunity tells you nope.......medical miracles tells you nope.....I think you and Mr. Trump share a lot of values and some serious memory problems about them good old daze........

7Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/6/2016, 6:56 pm

Hallmarkgard

Steroids and dope tell you yes..  LOL  Ask Gatlin..or the Russians

8Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/6/2016, 7:12 pm

Hallmarkgard

Trained stooges who's only purpose in life is run around a track,jump and play with a ball. Woot Woot But big white Fat cats like you love to watch the minions entertain you.. If they get hurt or injured you just move on the next person LOL

9Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/6/2016, 7:35 pm

2seaoat

But big white Fat cats like you love to watch the minions entertain you

Yep, you can tell you have never been to a Bear game, or a Blackhawk hockey game, a Bull game, or a White Sox game........fat cats......if fat is the size of one's wallet.....nope.....if fat cat is the size of one's waist line.....yea beer and brats do that, but the best part is going to watch kids at high school where I guess you might consider them minions, but I kind of consider them kids who display the best of the human spirit to strive and excel......but I get it.....you are very much like my brother.....he was a good mechanic in high school, he raced dirt bikes, he built drag racer cars and raced every sunday, and his buddies never liked playing cards, never participated in sports(my brother became infamous in Junior high when he ran the court and scored against his own team), but they loved their cars.......to each their own, but the hand eye speed of a drag racer or the tenacious defense of a kid in high school all are fun to watch.....just a preference......unless you have a problem with the nature of participants now......I always had no use for Fords......some people have no use for people......I think I get what is going on here..........I bet you watched golf......speaking of white.

10Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/6/2016, 8:00 pm

Hallmarkgard

I dont have anything against sports.  It is just the almost idolatry and insane amount of time and money people devote to them.When I was kid my dad bought be a nice Hallicrafters short wave radio.  I used to listen to the Pensacola
dons baseball team on WCOA.  I had already learned how to fill out a score sheet from being a gofer for the Ladies Soft ball teams at Kawanis park.  It was neat to fill in the little squares and such inning by inning.  Bur pro sports were just not my thing.  I admit I watched Golf when my son played.  I am so damn glad Tiger is gone andthe game has been taken to a new level by people like Jason Day.  I should like Bubba but he is too edgy for me.  Besides he really hasn't done much for Jr Golf in the area beside opening a candy store.
I get it.  I have been to a few of the University of the  Georgia Home games where 90,000 fans  fill the stands. Crazy ass folks..................................But one day I was watch the NHRA finals and , my son walked by and "Kinda like the Super Bowl?"  I just glared at him  Smart ass kid...

11Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/6/2016, 8:20 pm

Hallmarkgard

BTW if you ever read Fred Levin Bio he speaks of winning the City of Pensacola Table Tennis tournament as one of the high lights of his life. I won it a few years later and I agree

12Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/6/2016, 9:19 pm

2seaoat

One of the coolest people I ever met owned a lube company selling specialty lubrications to farmers, he was one of the hardest working folks I ever met and after the service he was the number 1 American table tennis player......he was no Forest Gump, and raised a wonderful family and in his later years still carried that competitive spirit and became a recognized bridge player.......I never advanced beyond pretty good in table tennis preferring real tennis, baseball, basketball, football, and hockey, put in college I was a pretty good pong player.

13Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/6/2016, 11:20 pm

2seaoat

Woman's sand volleyball.......every male's dream

14Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/7/2016, 12:06 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Watched China in volleyball ... They won twice

Last edited by Joanimaroni on 8/7/2016, 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

15Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/7/2016, 12:05 pm

2seaoat

The arena for woman's basketball was empty. Brazil has or is in the process of jailing their last two presidents and this looks like a huge fail for the host country. I am so glad Chicago did not win this bid, which at the time was disappointing. Although they have plenty of facilities to have hosted the games without spending a billion dollars. What people do not realize is that Brazil has a larger GDP than Russia as the nations of South America are becoming economic engines.

16Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/7/2016, 3:45 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

My daughter ran track...and was playing softball at the same time. She pulled a quadricep at softball practice...slipped on wet grass. That was it for both sports for the rest of the year.

However, she knew Justin Gatlin...they went to different schools but she would see him at meets. She said he wasn't a standout but was known to work much harder than some of the other athletes.

17Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/7/2016, 5:15 pm

Markle

Markle

I feel sorry for Brazil and specifically Rio for being saddled with this white elephant.

In my opinion, one country, outside the U.S. should be chosen for the Summer and Winter Olympics  Cut the costs massively and eliminate the graft and corruption.  For me, Athens seems the logical choice for the Summer and maybe one of the Scandinavian countries for the Winter.

Rio is a disaster area and if things weren't bad enough, one facility for launching boats for sailing competition collapsed, Australia couldn't move into their housing facilities and THEN COMES THE ZIKA VIRUS.

Rio is broke and they'll be BILLIONS in debt which will take them decades to payoff...if they can.

Last edited by Markle on 8/11/2016, 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

18Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/7/2016, 6:06 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Men's Volleyball. ....Canada over USA. Canada looked great.

South Korea Women's Archery. ....they were great.

19Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/7/2016, 8:10 pm

2seaoat

I just saw the best floor exercise by Simone Biles I have ever seen.......looking back, I have never seen anybody even close to what she did five minutes ago...these kids are doing things which simply were humanly impossible thirty years ago.

20Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/7/2016, 8:41 pm

She's amazing... our whole team is terrific. Just watched the Russians and they're tough too. The team finals and event finals will be great... can't wait.

21Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/7/2016, 9:03 pm

2seaoat

I have only seen men get her elevation in two events I watched. She is 4 foot eight inches, and I have never seen anything like this....I just do not keep up with this and did not watch much of the 2012 Olympics, so I am stunned by what I am seeing.

22Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/7/2016, 10:25 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Amazing!

23Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/7/2016, 10:52 pm

Sal

Sal

I really, really, really like the ladies' leotards.

24Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/8/2016, 12:04 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

And I really really like watching Michael Phelps.

25Olympics Empty Re: Olympics 8/9/2016, 10:53 am

2seaoat

This is one of my heroes in the Olympics. She is 38 and the mother of three children, won a state basketball championship in high school, and three Volleyball state championships, and is Stanford educated. Such a positive woman who has no problem talking about how important being a mom is and how much fun volleyball is for her. Look at those abs and think about three kids. Her husband is also a beach volleyball player......I am certain with those genetics we will see her sons and daughter in the Olympics some day, but seeing what a balanced personality she has......they will probably live happy lives as accountants, or teachers. What a wonderful role model.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/olympics/kerri-walsh-jennings-april-ross-cruise-in-straight-sets-win/ar-BBvpgiT?li=BBnb7Kz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum