Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Olympics

+6
Markle
Floridatexan
Joanimaroni
Hallmarkgard
RealLindaL
2seaoat
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

101Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/20/2016, 8:47 am

I feel terrible for this young man... but in some ways I like him even more now. It gives us a glimpse into the drive and sacrifice it takes to be a world class athlete... it reveals what every successful person has to some degree. He'll be back... he'll regroup. I hope either in the Olympics or the ufc.

http://www.si.com/olympics/2016/08/19/jordan-burroughs-olympic-wrestling-loss-let-family-down

“I feel like I let my family down, my kids, I missed a lot of important milestones in my children’s lives to pursue this sport. I didn’t see my son walk for the first time. I’ve left my wife at home with two kids for long periods of time to go to training camps, to foreign countries. She did that joyfully, not begrudgingly, because she knew on days like these I always fulfilled my end. Now I feel like I let her down. I let her down, I let my family down. This is supposed to be my year. This is supposed to be my breakthrough performance that cemented me as a legend in the sport. And it almost retracted my position in the sport. It hurts me. It hurts a lot, man. It hurts.”

The three-time world champion now holds a 130-4 international record.

102Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/20/2016, 3:21 pm

2seaoat

US Women Basketball team is simply amazing.

103Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/20/2016, 3:52 pm

Yep... they're better compared to the rest of the world than the men. I think they actually execute better than most NBA teams too.

104Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/20/2016, 4:12 pm

2seaoat

Coach K is great but the men have been playing one on one isolation ball, while the women just won the gold in a dominate fashion playing team ball with exceptional transition ball movement. I have seen few NBA teams out play the women's transition game. Beautiful basketball to watch.

105Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/20/2016, 4:32 pm

I've noticed... it reminded me of the warriors in the final once they lost their composure. They could've lost their last game against Spain had a few breaks gone against them. This team couldn't beat the teams with magic, Jordan, Byrd, Barkley, Hakeem... if their lives depended on it.

106Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/20/2016, 5:12 pm

The Olympic boxing must be purposefully being excluded from coverage... and I only caught a couple of the late wrestling matches. I think the pc police must be working the networks hard.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/20/usa-boxing-darling-bursts-into-tears-after-olympic-heartbreak/

107Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/20/2016, 10:23 pm

2seaoat

I am so sick of the time spent at swimming pools with Olympic prime time coverage. We got minimum women's high jump, and ten fold diving......pole vault, discus, hammer, long jump.....pathetic.....I have turned the channel being disgusted over the lack of coverage of athletics for art, dance, and fluff.....which I do not get the inclusion in Olympic games......to me, I would rather see on Bolt race than hours of swimming, golf, and water polo, but it seems like each year real athletes coverage is water down with sycnro swimming, dance, and now bmx bikes.

108Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/20/2016, 10:33 pm

Sal

Sal

Gimme a break.

They televise the events that get the ratings.

This ain't the seventies when baseball, boxing, and horse racing ruled.

109Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/20/2016, 11:00 pm

2seaoat

You think diving gets ratings.......jeeez.

110Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/20/2016, 11:03 pm

Sal

Sal

You think these decisions are being driven by something other than ratings??

Sheesh ....

111Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/21/2016, 1:33 am

RealLindaL

Saul Alinsky wrote:You think these decisions are being driven by something other than ratings??

Sheesh ....

You're right of course, Sal.  But you have to keep in mind that based on everything he's ever said about anything, Sea is most likely incapable of believing that there are other people in the world whose opinions and likes count, especially when they are entirely incomprehensible to his own center-of-the-universe self.

Last edited by RealLindaL on 8/21/2016, 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed one word for clarification)

112Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/21/2016, 8:51 am

We have an American in the 65kg wrestling semis today. I hope we're allowed to see it.

113Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/21/2016, 3:45 pm

Absolutely stupid that NBC showed the volleyball final between Italy and Brazil while two Americans won golds in wrestling. I refuse to believe that could be based on ratings. I enjoyed the marathon... but they could've cut in and out until it got close. And wtf was with showing so much rhythmic gymnastics for hours when there were no Americans contenders? No... it's not all ratings... that can't account for these decisions.

114Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/21/2016, 4:44 pm

2seaoat

I am all ears for someone to show me any indication that men's diving gets ratings over track. All ears. The funniest thing about arguing ratings is that you would be using ratings from four years ago to base your prime time decisions, or a historic trend, but again if anybody thinks diving is a high rating sport, I would respectively disagree. Shameful not to show Americans wrestling. Sorry Linda, please show me the decisions are based on ratings of diving. It is shameful the way NBC has omitted coverage and spent fricking hours in the F'ing pool. So many real athletes and we are watching sycncro swimming.......pleaseeeeeee.........

Men's basketball grabs the goal......so much talent.

115Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/21/2016, 10:42 pm

Sal

Sal

Ratings = ad revenue.

It doesn't get any simpler.

There are two factors at work here ...

1) Americans like to watch Americans win. Between swimming and track events, the U.S. won over half their medals.

2) NBC knows their audience ... majority of which are women who are not interested in watching sweat hogs grapple on a mat nor palookas punch each other in the face ... can't really disagree with their judgement.

And for the oldz, all Olympic competitions were televised under NBC's umbrella of networks, and all events were available for live streaming.

116Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/21/2016, 10:43 pm

2seaoat

Rio did a beautiful job hosting the Olympics and I am so happy for them winning soccer and volleyball which are their country's two favorite sports. The ugly American is the only downer, but silver spoons tend to show that frat boy behavior and hopefully with maturity he can become a good representative for this country......but for Michael Phelps this guy would have been the most awarded American swimmer, but instead his life was defined in a Brazil bathroom.

117Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/21/2016, 10:48 pm

2seaoat

I think advertisers choosing a sport and putting money down on the same is more important than ratings. By more exposure, and with separate post olympic deals with athletes they can certainly make their money and sell their brand.......and white swimmers still sell better in America than other spokespersons, but diving......really? We do not get to see so many other cool events to watch diving........

118Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/21/2016, 10:52 pm

Sal

Sal

The ladies would rather watch pretty boys jump off platforms in speedo's, than palooka's punch each other in this the face.  

Ratings = ad revenue.

Say it over and over again until it takes hold, Goat.

I thought you said you were a businessman.  

119Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/21/2016, 11:07 pm

2seaoat

I apologize.  I remember all the women showing up at my university for swim events and gymnastics........I guess I did enjoy the women's walking event and it had nothing to do with the sport.   I never thought about the T & A, angle and you are right.  People like the opposite sex in very little clothing, and in diving you probably get both sexes now that I think about it.

120Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/21/2016, 11:11 pm

Sal

Sal

NBC knows what's going on.

It hilarious you think it's something other than $.

I'm being sooo nice.

121Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/21/2016, 11:49 pm

2seaoat

It hilarious you think it's something other than $.

I think you are still getting it wrong. When I run tv ads, I pick the show I will advertise. It is a particular show and a particular time, and they have set rates for that show, plus volume discounts on my monthly buy. You think the network is making the decision what will be covered. I would argue you are right on the dollars, but it is the advertiser who picks the time and what they want shown at that time. The network choices are secondary to their big buy ad customers who define their marketing plan. I used to pick Conan when he had late night on NBC and could get a 30 second spot for twenty bucks with a five hundred monthly buy. I could structure my buy, and I controlled. I think the ad folks dictate to the networks, not the networks guessing on ratings. They have just like any other tv buy a time, projections, and ad pricing for a thirty second spot, but those ad people drive the subject and content. I can tell you right now if I won the lottery and offered full asking price at prime, I could get wrestling if my post Olympic marketing involved a popular wrestler.

122Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/22/2016, 2:35 am

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:I apologize.  I remember all the women showing up at my university for swim events and gymnastics........I guess I did enjoy the women's walking event and it had nothing to do with the sport.   I never thought about the T & A, angle and you are right.  People like the opposite sex in very little clothing, and in diving you probably get both sexes now that I think about it.

My husband and I both really enjoy diving events for both men and women, and it has nothing to do with the T&A angle but rather the beauty and skill demonstrated in the sport, along with the mild danger.   I think it's thrilling and I agree with Sal that most women would likely rather watch diving than, say, wrestling.  I personally like it better than any track and field event as well, though we did watch some of the races and relays just for the 'celebrity factor' if nothing else -- even though Usain Bolt's arrogance is off-putting to both of us.

123Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/22/2016, 6:41 am

Sal

Sal

RealLindaL wrote:Usain Bolt's arrogance is off-putting to both of us.

I didn't see any arrogance.

I saw joy and humility.

He even cut short an interview out of respect when the U.S. national anthem was being played in the background.

124Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/22/2016, 7:01 am

Saul Alinsky wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:Usain Bolt's arrogance is off-putting to both of us.

I didn't see any arrogance.

I saw joy and humility.

He even cut short an interview out of respect when the U.S. national anthem was being played in the background.

Agreed... he reminds me of Ali... he's a champion to the world and he's done a great service to Jamaican sport. I remember their last world champ usaffa Powell (sp?)... he had a chip on his shoulder and was unapproachable. I think bolt has been the most refreshing and entertaining t&f athlete in my generation. I consider myself very lucky to have witnessed his career... more so than phelps or Biles even. I hope he enjoys whatever he decides to do from here.

125Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: Olympics 8/22/2016, 10:26 am

Hallmarkgard

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3752215/Usain-s-Olympic-blowout-Rio-student-20-shares-WhatsApp-photos-appearing-bed-Bolt-following-wild-30th-birthday-bash-girlfriend-say.html]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3752215/Usain-s-Olympic-blowout-Rio-student-20-shares-WhatsApp-photos-appearing-bed-Bolt-following-wild-30th-birthday-bash-girlfrieg Olympics - Page 5 16h96z4

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum