Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Colbert Rips David Koch to His Face at TIME Magazine Gala

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

PRICELESS: Colbert Rips David Koch to His Face at TIME Magazine Gala
byDavid Harris GershonFollowforWriting by David Harris Gershon
  236 Comments / 236 New
TIME recently held its gala celebrating the magazine's self-proclaimed 100 most influential people. Among those chosen were David Koch and Stephen Colbert, who spoke before the gathered masses.

Colbert ripped several of the magazine's selections using his signature (read: brilliant) sharp-tongued irony. However, some of his most pointed comments were reserved for David Koch, who was seated before Colbert as he spoke.

Here's what he had to say:

Of course, all of us should be honored to be listed on the TIME 100 alongside the two men who will be slugging it out in the fall:  President Obama, and the man who would defeat him, David Koch.
Give it up everybody.  David Koch.

Little known fact -- David, nice to see you again, sir.

Little known fact, David's brother Charles Koch is actually even more influential.  Charles pledged $40 million to defeat President Obama, David only $20 million.  That's kind of cheap, Dave.

Sure, he's all for buying the elections, but when the bill for democracy comes up, Dave's always in the men's room.  I'm sorry, I must have left Wisconsin in my other coat.

I was particularly excited to meet David Koch earlier tonight because I have a Super PAC, Colbert Super PAC, and I am -- thank you, thank you -- and I am happy to announce Mr. Koch has pledged $5 million to my Super PAC.  And the great thing is, thanks to federal election law, there's no way for you to ever know whether that's a joke.

By the way, if David Koch likes his waiter tonight, he will be your next congressman.

He's all for buying the elections. Once again, we must rely upon our political comedic class to speak straightforwardly about the state of our democracy-up-for-sale crisis (which has, obviously, only worsened since Citizens United and the SuperPAC explosion).
Stewart. Colbert. Maher (at times).

These are today's leading truth tellers. And pointing this out after a gathering convened by TIME magazine – one of our country's largest "journalistic" institutions – feels, well, quite symbolic.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/04/28/1087135/-PRICELESS-Colbert-Rips-David-Koch-to-His-Face-at-TIME-Magazine-Gala?detail=emailclassic

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum