Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

In God we trust. Unless you're a democrat.

+6
Hospital Bob
2seaoat
Nekochan
Sal
PBulldog2
gulfbeachbandit
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Are Democrats afraid of the word, "God?" It would appear that way if you were to take a casual read-though of the party's 2012 platform, where the Almighty is mentioned a whopping zero times. After news broke today of the word's omission, the Internet went wild with anti-God accusations, with many noting how Republicans refer to God 10 times and even the Dems had used the G-word at least twice in their 2008 document. A Democratic official noted the 2008 phrases like "God-given potential" were about middle class struggles and not meant to be religious. However, with corresponding news on soaring debt and increases in food stamps, it maybe wasn't the best day for convention-bound Democrats.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Why should God be mentioned in relation to anything political?

EDIT: Oh, goodness. This thread will probably take us back to that old notion that the USA was created as a "Christian nation."

Here we go......

Sal

Sal

You know what else fails to mention "God" a single time?

The U.S. Consti-fucking-tution, that's what.

LOL.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

salinsky wrote:You know what else fails to mention "God" a single time?

The U.S. Consti-fucking-tution, that's what.

LOL.

Laughing

Nekochan

Nekochan

I saw God mentioned several times last night...at a political convention. So apparently there are even still Democrats who think God should be mentioned.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Nekochan wrote:I saw God mentioned several times last night...at a political convention. So apparently there are even still Democrats who think God should be mentioned.

But why, Neko? Why should God be mentioned relative to politics?

It has always irritated me that any and all political parties and groups claim God is on their side, or even on OUR side as a nation. That's just manipulative garbage, in my opinion.

Sal

Sal

Nekochan wrote:I saw God mentioned several times last night...at a political convention. So apparently there are even still Democrats who think God should be mentioned.

I thought this was a particularly effective use of scripture last night;

"Mitt Romney has so little economic patriotism that even his money needs a passport. It summers on the beaches of the Cayman Islands and winters on the slopes of the Swiss Alps. In Matthew, chapter 6, verse 21, the scriptures teach us that where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. My friends, any man who aspires to be our president should keep both his treasure and his heart in the United States of America. And it's well past time for Mitt Romney to come clean with the American people."

-Ted Strickland

Sal

Sal

PBulldog2 wrote:
It has always irritated me that any and all political parties and groups claim God is on their side, or even on OUR side as a nation. That's just manipulative garbage, in my opinion.

I agree. And, God is too busy helping Tim Tebow score touchdowns to bother with politics anyway. Very Happy

2seaoat

Matthew 6.......read it......live it.......and understand that hypocrites were recognized by Jesus, and nothing much changes.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Which God are we talking about?

Last edited by Bob on 9/5/2012, 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Nekochan

Nekochan

PBulldog2 wrote:

But why, Neko? Why should God be mentioned relative to politics?

Why not? What is wrong with "God Bless America"?
I don't think that is manipulative for either side to say that. Michelle Obama said 'God Bless You, God Bless America.' Did that irritate you? It didn't irritate me. If a political party endorsed a particular denomination or specific belief, that would be out of order and against what our founders intended.

Our Declaration of Independence:
"Endowed by our Creator with certain unalienable rights"
It is a part of our country's founding, from the very start.

***Sal, you started a thread praising Michelle Obama's speech. Were you offended by what she said at the very end of her speech?

Nekochan

Nekochan

Whoever disliked my post--can you tell me why?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:Whoever disliked my post--can you tell me why?
Negatives are a badge of honor, Neko. Be proud of them.
Who knows, maybe someday you'll have a record as distinguished as me and dreamsglore. You'll be in high cotton if you ever make it to that level.
But it takes dedication and perserverance and not all of us have that in us. Only a select few.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bob, I don't mind so much the negative. But why doesn't the person giving the negative say what about my post they don't like? It's cowardly to give someone a negative for expressing an opinion without explaining why they disagree. I would have a little respect (or at least understanding) of a negative rating if the person giving it would explain themselves.

Sal

Sal

Wasn't me, and this time I can prove it. Tally the numbers again, bum.

LOL.

Nekochan

Nekochan

salinsky wrote:

LOL.

I didn't accuse you this time, did I?

no stress

no stress

Democrats do mention God......See?

Nekochan wrote:
salinsky wrote:

LOL.

Is TB accusing you of being pkrbum?

2seaoat

I do not want to sound too stupid......but how do you give somebody a negative or a positive?.......and why would somebody do that? I remember the old PNJ news stories had comments where you could give a vote.....and yes I would play with Jimmy Holt and always make fun of him when he would post something and then without fail give himself a positive vote.........I guess we are at heart all children....and mischief comes natural to all of us......but back to the question.......how does somebody get rated, and how are such big numbers like Bob's possible?......Bob you been playing with yourself again?

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Sorry, Neko - I was checking out the action over at the "other" forum, so I was distracted.

First, I have my own perception of a Higher Power. I choose to call that power God or, sometimes, The Force. So no, I'm not an atheist at all. All I know is my God doesn't prefer one political party over another, one country over another, one living being over another.

So, when I hear comments like "God Bless America", I do cringe. I can hang with "God Bless the Universe", but that's rarely said.

Our country's forefathers were, by and large, Deists rather than Christians (hence the use of the phrase "our Creator" in the bill of rights.) They honored nature rather than a specific religion such as Christianity, Mormonism or Islam.

I'd have been a good Deist, eh?

Nekochan

Nekochan

Well, I've heard this deist thing a lot but I think that most of the founding fathers believe in "God".

Why shouldn't God Bless America? We need it!!

Nekochan

Nekochan

Chrissy8 wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
salinsky wrote:

LOL.

Is TB accusing you of being pkrbum?

Are you talking to me? I don't know what TB is saying.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

"In God we trust, unless you're a democrat".

I can't help but think about all those black churches in our area with all those black people worshipping God inside them. I sure didn't know till reading the title of this thread that they were republicans.

Nekochan

Nekochan

God is back in.

NaNook

NaNook

salinsky wrote:

I thought this was a particularly effective use of scripture last night;

"Mitt Romney has so little economic patriotism that even his money needs a passport. It summers on the beaches of the Cayman Islands and winters on the slopes of the Swiss Alps. In Matthew, chapter 6, verse 21, the scriptures teach us that where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. My friends, any man who aspires to be our president should keep both his treasure and his heart in the United States of America. And it's well past time for Mitt Romney to come clean with the American people."

How did the TED vote go today????? TED being a minister and all.....it's too funny...3 votes...on GOD...what happened? Go look for yourself on Breitbart/You-Tube. Too funny, BTW, he OVERRULED the votes...like Obama.

-Ted Strickland

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum