Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Technology is our problem. A editorial by me

+3
NaNook
Dcat
Hospital Bob
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Slicef18

Slicef18

*Secret_Angel* wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:First, The Amish do not reject technology. They use all technological advances that man has come to use. That is up until the early 20th century when the Amish froze their lifestyle in time. They use the horse and all implements designed to be powered by that noble beast of burden, the horse. And as much as we may admire their self-sufficiency, that too is being eroded away as their youth want more of this technology we take for granted. Let me say, the Amish and Mennonite people use such self restraint in their day to day living, they are the only group of people that can buy a farm for $500,000 and pay cash for it.
As to the question, "What will things look like in the 24th century." We will have further development of the computers designing computers. As we work towards computers being autonomous we may one day awake to having completed that goal and allowed the beast to develop the perfect beast that sees it's own growth as more important than our petty needs. All that would be required is to shut down the human's power grids. That is why there should always be a plug to unplug away from the mainframe.
We do have a growing but innocent asset. That is the children of the world. Because of computers and it magical draw to children, all children in all countries essentially speak the same language when using a keyboard. Also, a computer can only function within the parameters that it has been programed to understand. Humans however are capable of taking a problem they've never seen or experienced and solve it.

I must ask this before I jump off this topic for a bit.

How many people do you think will populate this planet in the 24th century?

What a great question. Thank you.
Earths current population is 7 billion people. That is 2 billion more than the planet can sustain if everyone on the planet enjoyed Americas standard of living. The maximum sustainable population density of earth is estimated to be between 12 and 14 billion people. As for the 24th century, there are so many possibilities and variables it makes that crystal ball very cloudy. Things like a successful space travel program. Synthetic food generation would allow for the elimination of energy consuming animals are just a couple of variables. Also having a population density of 14 billion people would allow any new untreatable disease a rapid and deadly infection of the population to decimate the worlds population.

Slicef18 wrote:
*Secret_Angel* wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:First, The Amish do not reject technology. They use all technological advances that man has come to use. That is up until the early 20th century when the Amish froze their lifestyle in time. They use the horse and all implements designed to be powered by that noble beast of burden, the horse. And as much as we may admire their self-sufficiency, that too is being eroded away as their youth want more of this technology we take for granted. Let me say, the Amish and Mennonite people use such self restraint in their day to day living, they are the only group of people that can buy a farm for $500,000 and pay cash for it.
As to the question, "What will things look like in the 24th century." We will have further development of the computers designing computers. As we work towards computers being autonomous we may one day awake to having completed that goal and allowed the beast to develop the perfect beast that sees it's own growth as more important than our petty needs. All that would be required is to shut down the human's power grids. That is why there should always be a plug to unplug away from the mainframe.
We do have a growing but innocent asset. That is the children of the world. Because of computers and it magical draw to children, all children in all countries essentially speak the same language when using a keyboard. Also, a computer can only function within the parameters that it has been programed to understand. Humans however are capable of taking a problem they've never seen or experienced and solve it.

What a great question. Thank you.
Earths current population is 7 billion people. That is 2 billion more than the planet can sustain if everyone on the planet enjoyed Americas standard of living. The maximum sustainable population density of earth is estimated to be between 12 and 14 billion people. As for the 24th century, there are so many possibilities and variables it makes that crystal ball very cloudy. Things like a successful space travel program. Synthetic food generation would allow for the elimination of energy consuming animals are just a couple of variables. Also having a population density of 14 billion people would allow any new untreatable disease a rapid and deadly infection of the population to decimate the worlds population.

Now we're getting somewhere on this cunundrum.

so basically technology has allowed for us humans to over populate the earth. at some point coming soon the earth will not be able to provide all of us with nutrients, which is already a problem we are dealing with today. So we are using technology once again to genetically alter our foods which has already proven to be toxic to us on many levels.

There are so many of us now that in order for us to sustain a way of life that we see as most desirable are poluting our oceans with un natural elements, chemicals, radiation and genetically engineered organisms are a few. These things are also toxic to us.

technology is killing us because it has altered the natural selection of humans.

And I dont know how space travel is helping us. I love astronomy, I'm a geek when it comes to that but people here are mostly not interested in it. Not many. I think the mere fact they are looking for another planet like ours should be telling about our state of condition on this planet as a species.

Now what? We have apretty good idea where our lust for techonolgy has taken us and will take us. And we know none of us would say stop using it because as mentioned earlier it saves lives and to not try and save lives is inhumane. So we are in a cunundrum.

We will keep doing what we are doing and we will eventually end up like our ancestors and thier ancestors etc etc etc

plant, seed, die, compost, plant, seed, die, compost.

civilization, seed, die, start over with the few seeds left.

VectorMan

VectorMan

I'm a big sci-fi fan. There are all sorts of visions of what the future may look like.

I love technology. I'm amazed that you can carry around a 128gb jump drive in your pocket. Plug into an HDTV and share you photos and videos on your big screen. Anyone with a smart phone? Hell, that's a desk top computer in your pocket.

Then you have the criminal types that exploit tech to rip people off. Anyone got an e-mail saying you inherited money lately?

VectorMan wrote:I'm a big sci-fi fan. There are all sorts of visions of what the future may look like.

I love technology. I'm amazed that you can carry around a 128gb jump drive in your pocket. Plug into an HDTV and share you photos and videos on your big screen. Anyone with a smart phone? Hell, that's a desk top computer in your pocket.

Then you have the criminal types that exploit tech to rip people off. Anyone got an e-mail saying you inherited money lately?

You know I really like you. I would love to hear your thoughts on what you think it might be in the 24th century.

and no, I didnt get that email, even the spammers know I come from a poor family and wouldnt fall for it lol

VectorMan

VectorMan

*Secret_Angel* wrote:
VectorMan wrote:I'm a big sci-fi fan. There are all sorts of visions of what the future may look like.

You know I really like you. I would love to hear your thoughts on what you think it might be in the 24th century.

and no, I didnt get that email, even the spammers know I come from a poor family and wouldnt fall for it lol

Well, Star Trek The Next Generation takes place in the 24th century. It would be great if Earth was like that then. No poverty and no one needs for anything. I'm not sure how that would all come about, but I'd say it's something worth striving for.

OMG ,that could mean complete government control.

Thank you, StarFleet Command!

Who knows?

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Nobody on star trek is a muslim. Coincedence?

VectorMan wrote:
*Secret_Angel* wrote:

Well, Star Trek The Next Generation takes place in the 24th century. It would be great if Earth was like that then. No poverty and no one needs for anything. I'm not sure how that would all come about, but I'd say it's something worth striving for.

OMG ,that could mean complete government control.

Thank you, StarFleet Command!

Who knows?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ghandi wrote:Nobody on star trek is a muslim. Coincedence?
It's because when Roddenberry produced Star Trek nobody ever heard of muslims. Muslims didn't get into our consciousness until late 2001.
BUT, if Roddenberry had still been making Star Trek after that, Lt. Uhura would have probably been replaced with a new navigator wearing a Burka.

Star trek is a interesting addition to this thought. They did show us a bunch of technology that had not been invented yet, but is now.

What was the "Human" population from the movie star trek?

And from my recolection, It does apear that the people of star trek had little freedoms and were very stringently conformed.

and I agree there were no muslims, but I wonder if we really looked at all the charaters again would we see one with some resemblence of a muslim I doubt it be cause I really dont recall any christians either. Perhaps they were all non religious?

I got to go to work.

enjoy your day

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

*Secret_Angel* wrote: Perhaps they were all non religious?

https://www.google.com/search?q=religion+on+star+trek&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

VectorMan

VectorMan

"Star Trek" did show one of the, if not THE, first interracial kisses between William Shatner (James T. Kirk) and Nichelle Nichols (Lt. Uhura). Although they were forced to by some alien something or other. Check out the little person that played Dr. Loveless (Michael Dunn) in the "Wild Wild West".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lThvEsP5-9Y

When I was in middle school our homework was to watch Star Trek and come back to school and discuss what we thought of it. That's my idea of being progressive.

*Secret_Angel* wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdsbuJfMpr0

Lurch wrote:
*Secret_Angel* wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdsbuJfMpr0

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm we are gideons in a way.

did star trek give that group of people the name of gideon from the bible on purpose?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mark_of_Gideon

note to self, always listen to spock.....

Sal

Sal

We will be the architects of our own demise, but not because of the advancement of technology. Rather it will be because of our desperate attempts to sustain an exploding population with 19th century technology that is unsustainable. We are beyond the tipping point with climate change, and an apocalypse is coming. One that is fueled by human hubris, greed, ignorance, folly and the willingness to deny the "facts on the ground" even when they are staring all of us in the face.

salinsky wrote:We will be the architects of our own demise, but not because of the advancement of technology. Rather it will be because of our desperate attempts to sustain an exploding population with 19th century technology that is unsustainable. We are beyond the tipping point with climate change, and an apocalypse is coming. One that is fueled by human hubris, greed, ignorance, folly and the willingness to deny the "facts on the ground" even when they are staring all of us in the face.

I dont see how you can make a statement like that without acknowledging the fact that its because of technology our population is exploding.

Then you go on to make out its because we dont have enough technology.

Then you go on to say we will be joining the dirt cities because its fueled by human greed and all that other stuff which is so general its almost incomphrehensible when in fact its technology that help create the greed that so which you talk of today. Because greed today is not the greed of cavemen.

Perhaps you should pick apart your response a little bit and think about how ALL technology has contributed to any of what you just laid claim to.

Id love to hear the second part of your thoughts.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum