Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Technology is our problem. A editorial by me

+3
NaNook
Dcat
Hospital Bob
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Since the begining of our current documented history, man has searched for lost civilizations. We study pyramids, decifer ancient languages, carbon date bones and other artifacts.And the data is there, past civilations had certain technologies. Some of it might have been so sophisticated that with even our current technologies we cant figure it out.

It almost appears that our ancesters were so in tune with how civilation rises and falls they were determined to leave us clues that would last thousands of years. To possibly help us avoid another down fall.

Which brings me to my thought of how technology and the insane desire for more technology kills us off. It's a simple thought. Here are a couple of ways that technology has effected us in a negative way.

Technology replaces work/jobs. Creating a population where only the more intelligent will have the needed things to survive. Leaving a huge proportion of the populations dependant upon those who can manage in a world as advanced as this one. This devides humans at the most basic level thus creating crime, envy and wars.

Technology has enabled humans to over populate the planet, therefore creating the need for more higher and dangerous technologies to advance, such as genetic engineering of our food sources and altering just about every single living organism on the planet. In this category it should be included that with this technology, we have also removed the natural order of the death cycle.

Technology has also created a group of people who want to play God. Giving those with this knowledge the ability manipulate just about everything on the planet. Governments, banks and lives.

It is my opinion that the people who pocess the higher tecnologies know that this planet is at a turning point in our current civilations history. I think they have realized the effects of what they intended to do which was to initially use technology to help citizens of the world but instead have altered the natural processes.

This group of handlers now are faced with the issue of how to stop the complete downfall of civilization as we know it. And that means to weed us out. Thus, they are playing God again. It is my opinion that this phase will be the one that sets us quicker to the path where our civilization will be the next generation of pyramids.

We are in the "quickening".

Are you awake?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I think the Amish would agree with you.

Buttman wrote:I think the Amish would agree with you.

the amish are pretty smart people.

I was hoping for a more indepth conversation on this subject as it has the potential to go in just about any direction as far as micro-topics.

But then I also realized that was too much to ask. Neutral

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

*Secret_Angel* wrote:

I was hoping for a more indepth conversation on this subject as it has the potential to go in just about any direction as far as micro-topics.

It's a complicated question and there are no simple soundbite type answers to do it justice. As is my opinion about a lot of things in life, advancing technology is a double-edged sword. It benefits us in many ways, but it also has a downside as you point out.
I view religion the same way.
So I can't have a blanket yay or nay about it.

Buttman wrote:
*Secret_Angel* wrote:

It's a complicated question and there are no simple soundbite type answers to do it justice. As is my opinion about a lot of things in life, advancing technology is a double-edged sword. It benefits us in many ways, but it also has a downside as you point out.
I view religion the same way.
So I can't have a blanket yay or nay about it.

I agree with you. Thats what makes a interesting topic to me. It doesnt have a one answer. There are no sides. Just a bunch of thought provoking possibilities. Sort of like you bringing up amish, which i also think is fasinating.

I am not against technology, but when you see what past civilizations have left for us, it does make you wonder whats the message. And then when you see where current science is going, it makes you wonder what the outcome will be of all of it. Such as them searching for earth like planets. Is all this done because we can and we are just curious, or is there a unknown purpose behind it all.

*Secret_Angel* wrote:Since the begining of our current documented history, man has searched for lost civilizations. We study pyramids, decifer ancient languages, carbon date bones and other artifacts.And the data is there, past civilations had certain technologies. Some of it might have been so sophisticated that with even our current technologies we cant figure it out.

It almost appears that our ancesters were so in tune with how civilation rises and falls they were determined to leave us clues that would last thousands of years. To possibly help us avoid another down fall.

Which brings me to my thought of how technology and the insane desire for more technology kills us off. It's a simple thought. Here are a couple of ways that technology has effected us in a negative way.

Technology replaces work/jobs. Creating a population where only the more intelligent will have the needed things to survive. Leaving a huge proportion of the populations dependant upon those who can manage in a world as advanced as this one. This devides humans at the most basic level thus creating crime, envy and wars.

Technology has enabled humans to over populate the planet, therefore creating the need for more higher and dangerous technologies to advance, such as genetic engineering of our food sources and altering just about every single living organism on the planet. In this category it should be included that with this technology, we have also removed the natural order of the death cycle.

Technology has also created a group of people who want to play God. Giving those with this knowledge the ability manipulate just about everything on the planet. Governments, banks and lives.

It is my opinion that the people who pocess the higher tecnologies know that this planet is at a turning point in our current civilations history. I think they have realized the effects of what they intended to do which was to initially use technology to help citizens of the world but instead have altered the natural processes.

This group of handlers now are faced with the issue of how to stop the complete downfall of civilization as we know it. And that means to weed us out. Thus, they are playing God again. It is my opinion that this phase will be the one that sets us quicker to the path where our civilization will be the next generation of pyramids.

Are you awake?

Could you be a little more specific about what the heck you're talking about? It is very general and leaves a lot to be desired.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Just because you put up this thread and then the word "Amish" popped into my mind, I just spent the last half hour or so reading about the Amish society with wiki.
I have a friend who goes back to his hometown Wheeling WV every summer and always visits the Amish country when he does. I had gotten his perspective on it several times but I've learned a lot more about it from that read.
And you provided the inspiration for me to learn that. Without your post I likely never would have added that to my knowledge.

But it is right in line with your original topic that advancing technology is the only way I could have learned what I did immediately. Before the level of technology we have now I would have actually had to make a trip to a library which would have been a lot more time consuming so I doubt I would have ever done that.
AND, before the current level of technology I would have never encountered your thoughts on this whole subject either.
So score 1 pt for technology. lol

Dreamsglore wrote:
*Secret_Angel* wrote:Since the begining of our current documented history, man has searched for lost civilizations. We study pyramids, decifer ancient languages, carbon date bones and other artifacts.And the data is there, past civilations had certain technologies. Some of it might have been so sophisticated that with even our current technologies we cant figure it out.

Are you awake?

Could you be a little more specific about what the heck you're talking about? It is very general and leaves a lot to be desired.

sorry you dont like it and sorry it didnt make you think. There's nothing I can do about that.

Buttman wrote:Just because you put up this thread and then the word "Amish" popped into my mind, I just spent the last half hour or so reading about the Amish society with wiki.
I have a friend who goes back to his hometown Wheeling WV every summer and always visits the Amish country when he does. I had gotten his perspective on it several times but I've learned a lot more about it from that read.
And you provided the inspiration for me to learn that. Without your post I likely never would have added that to my knowledge.

But it is right in line with your original topic that advancing technology is the only way I could have learned what I did immediately. Before the level of technology we have now I would have actually had to make a trip to a library which would have been a lot more time consuming so I doubt I would have ever done that.
AND, before the current level of technology I would have never encountered your thoughts on this whole subject either.
So score 1 pt for technology. lol

Smile you have a good point and I would never disagree that technology is great. I love it.

What kind of society do you think we will be when robots do everything for us and computers are nano wired into our brains to connect to anything we wish?

Do you think our physical bodies will go by the wayside?

Whhat will people do when technology does everything for them? Fight for fun?

*Secret_Angel* wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

Are you awake?

sorry you dont like it and sorry it didnt make you think. There's nothing I can do about that.

I didn't say I didn't like it. I said it's very nonspecific and leads the reader to wonder what technology you are referring to-there's lots of them.Your statements are confusing and lack any depth of a subject other than technology in general.My initial response after reading it is "what exactly are you trying to say about what?"

Dreamsglore wrote:
*Secret_Angel* wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

Are you awake?

I didn't say I didn't like it. I said it's very nonspecific and leads the reader to wonder what technology you are referring to-there's lots of them.Your statements are confusing and lack any depth of a subject other than technology in general.My initial response after reading it is "what exactly are you trying to say about what?"

well since my statements and my post lacks any depth of a subject matter. Its apparent that I lack the capability to convey any sort of message or the talent to invoke any thought on any subject.

So I will have to give over and allow you to be the topic creator.

Good luck! Very Happy

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

*Secret_Angel* wrote:

well since my statements and my post lacks any depth of a subject matter. Its apparent that I lack the capability to convey any sort of message or the talent to invoke any thought on any subject.

Good luck! Very Happy
Oh for gods sake. The topic you used for this thread is some of the best food for thought there is. It's being pondered by some of the smartest people in the world. And it's something that has always, is now, and always will have an enormous effect on all our lives, both good and bad.
Please don't give the forum over to someone whose every thread is going to be to tell us how some character named Obama and some half-assed democrat politicans can do no wrong. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

*Secret_Angel* wrote:

What kind of society do you think we will be when robots do everything for us and computers are nano wired into our brains to connect to anything we wish?

Do you think our physical bodies will go by the wayside?

It may be closer than you think. Read this...

http://www.iheartchaos.com/post/28425354018/russian-scientist-claims-that-we-will-have-human

And as to what I think about it? I think it's a scary as hell thing to think about. But it will probably happen no matter what I think about it.
But it will be another generation who really has to deal with it. I'll be burning in hell like you for my sexual orientation so will have other problems to worry about. lol

Last edited by Buttman on 8/4/2012, 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

*Secret_Angel* wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
*Secret_Angel* wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

Are you awake?

Good luck! Very Happy

First , you have to clearly define what subject you are talking about before you invoke any thoughts.You failed to give any specifics so that leads me to wonder what the thoughts should be. I didn't know you were the official topic creator? Who gave you that job?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Dreamsglore wrote:

First , you have to clearly define what subject you are talking about before you invoke any thoughts.You failed to give any specifics so that leads me to wonder what the thoughts should be. I didn't know you were the official topic creator? Who gave you that job?
If obama had gotten on your tv and started to talk about this very same thing exactly the way she has done, you would be slobbering all over it. You would be telling us how unbelievably smart obama is. lol

Buttman wrote:
*Secret_Angel* wrote:

Good luck! Very Happy
Oh for gods sake. The topic you used for this thread is some of the best food for thought there is. It's being pondered by some of the smartest people in the world. And it's something that has always, is now, and always will have an enormous effect on all our lives, both good and bad.
Please don't give the forum over to someone whose every thread is going to be to tell us how some character named Obama and some half-assed democrat politicans can do no wrong. lol

Well, Bob why don't you enlighten us as to what technology she is referring to? Is it computers,Iphones or just the simple telephone since you know? Is it growing food or creating test tube babies?What?Tell us since you're so smart and get it.

Buttman wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

If obama had gotten on your tv and started to talk about this very same thing exactly the way she has done, you would be slobbering all over it. You would be telling us how unbelievably smart obama is. lol

What does Obama have to do w/ this? What technologies is she talking about ,Bob? Can you even relate what that is? NO! You just spout vague ramblings too and think it's intelligent.LOL!

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Dreamsglore wrote:

Well, Bob why don't you enlighten us as to what technology she is referring to? Is it computers,Iphones or just the simple telephone since you know? Is it growing food or creating test tube babies?What?Tell us since you're so smart and get it.
She's talking about the general concept of advancing human technology. How it has advanced from the earliest human civilization down through the ages to today. And where it may all lead to.

And she's pointing out that it's not ALL a bed of roses.
I'll give you one specific example to help bolster that argument.
At some point most every nation and terrorist tribe and likely even wealthy individuals with some axe to grind will be in possession of nuclear weapons.
And probably biological and other weapons we cannot even conceive of yet that make nukes look like firecrackers.
At that point we may find out the Amish had a better perspective on technology than we do.

Last edited by Buttman on 8/4/2012, 12:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

Dreamsglore wrote:
Buttman wrote:
*Secret_Angel* wrote:

Good luck! Very Happy

see, thats your problem. You want the micro break down.

Technology simply refers to all technology. Its a general term, a blanket.

This conversation is "VAST" in its originality on purpose.

Like I said before, if this post didnt make you think or explore thoughts then I cant help you.

But what I wont do is argue with you about it. Youve insulted me again as you usually do and all I can say is perhaps you need to take up the reins and start your own threads that make more sense for people such as yourself.

Buttman wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

She's talking about the general concept of advancing human technology. How it has advanced from the earliest human civilization down through the ages to today. And where it may all lead to.

At some point most every nation and terrorist tribe and likely even wealthy individuals with some axe to grind will be in possession of nuclear weapons.
At that point we may find out the Amish had a better perspective on technology than we do.

Exactly my point! No examples given as to what she's talking about.Just vague statements and no subject area.You can talk about hundreds of specific things about technology but she has no specific point to garner a discussion.

Buttman wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

oh thats a very excellent example!

couldnt we also find out as we are that genetic engineering of our food source proves to be just as deadly or more so than nuclear?

Couldnt creating all these robots to do our jobs create a society that is non active, unhealthy and dependant and at the flip of a switch something happens to our technology and we are screwed?

just lots of thoughts sorry.

Dreamsglore wrote:
Buttman wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

Exactly my point! No examples given as to what she's talking about.Just vague statements and no subject area.You can talk about hundreds of specific things about technology but she has no specific point to garner a discussion.

I'm trying to engage people to think for themselves. This is something you lack.

*Secret_Angel* wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Buttman wrote:
*Secret_Angel* wrote:

Good luck! Very Happy

see, thats your problem. You want the micro break down.

Technology simply refers to all technology. Its a general term, a blanket.

This conversation is "VAST" in its originality on purpose.

Like I said before, if this post didnt make you think or explore thoughts then I cant help you.

But what I wont do is argue with you about it. Youve insulted me again as you usually do and all I can say is perhaps you need to take up the reins and start your own threads that make more sense for people such as yourself.

Actuallly, it didn't make me explore any thoughts as I said it was too confusing as to what the writer's focus was.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

*Secret_Angel* wrote:

couldnt we also find out as we are that genetic engineering of our food source proves to be just as deadly or more so than nuclear?

Couldnt creating all these robots to do our jobs create a society that is non active, unhealthy and dependant and at the flip of a switch something happens to our technology and we are screwed?

Absolutely. All that could become reality. Some of it may already be happening.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I'm convinced that before long science is probably going to discover how to make us live a whole helluva lot longer. And it's not just my speculation. Science is already working hard to achieve this.

And the ramifications and the moral issues associated with that boggle the mind.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum