Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Technology is our problem. A editorial by me

+3
NaNook
Dcat
Hospital Bob
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Some reading material, Chrissy

https://www.google.com/search?q=future+technology+morality&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Buttman wrote:
*Secret_Angel* wrote:

couldnt we also find out as we are that genetic engineering of our food source proves to be just as deadly or more so than nuclear?

Couldnt creating all these robots to do our jobs create a society that is non active, unhealthy and dependant and at the flip of a switch something happens to our technology and we are screwed?

Absolutely. All that could become reality. Some of it may already be happening.

as a collective society then, what do you think intelligent people should do to avoid this breakdown which is inevitable? Ignore it and become the next pyramid civilization?

Should the population be weeded back to its orignal concept of survival of the fitest, in our current civilazation that would mean survival of the smartest.

*Secret_Angel* wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Buttman wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

Well, Bob why don't you enlighten us as to what technology she is referring to? Is it computers,Iphones or just the simple telephone since you know? Is it growing food or creating test tube babies?What?Tell us since you're so smart and get it.
She's talking about the general concept of advancing human technology. How it has advanced from the earliest human civilization down through the ages to today. And where it may all lead to.

And she's pointing out that it's not ALL a bed of roses.
I'll give you one specific example to help bolster that argument.
At some point most every nation and terrorist tribe and likely even wealthy individuals with some axe to grind will be in possession of nuclear weapons.
At that point we may find out the Amish had a better perspective on technology than we do.

Exactly my point! No examples given as to what she's talking about.Just vague statements and no subject area.You can talk about hundreds of specific things about technology but she has no specific point to garner a discussion.

I'm trying to engage people to think for themselves. This is something you lack.

Think about what! How can you author a thread and make points on nothing and then say "think for yourself"? Ok-I'm through w/ this deep discussion on what ever it is you didn't reveal.LOL!

Buttman wrote:Some reading material, Chrissy

https://www.google.com/search?q=future+technology+morality&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Thanks, that link lead me to this lecture. I will now enjoy that and think about it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Here's a quote by one of the smartest men this country has ever produced, Chrissy. I was not aware of it until you got me googling because of putting up this thread...

The rapid progress true science now makes occasions my regretting sometimes that I was born so soon. It is impossible to imagine the Height to which may be carried, in a thousand years, the Power of Man over Matter...Agriculture may diminish its Labour and double its Produce; all Diseases may, by sure means, be prevented or cured, not even excepting that of Old Age, and our Lives lengthened at pleasure even beyond the antediluvian Standard. O that moral Science were in as fair a way of Improvement, that Men would cease to be Wolves to one another, and that human Beings would at length learn what they now improperly call Humanity.

Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

But as smart as he was, he lived too early to be able to conceive of the potential problems those advances in technology could bring. In the 18th Century all he could do was dream about the advantages they would give us. He just didn't have enough to go on at that time.

Maybe you and I should learn a lesson from that. Because by the same token, it's probably just downright impossible for you and me living in the 21st Century to be able to conceive of what the 24th Century will bring.
Whatever we're trying to speculate about it now may not turn out the way we're speculating. Just as it didn't for him.

Dreamsglore wrote:
*Secret_Angel* wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Buttman wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

Well, Bob why don't you enlighten us as to what technology she is referring to? Is it computers,Iphones or just the simple telephone since you know? Is it growing food or creating test tube babies?What?Tell us since you're so smart and get it.
She's talking about the general concept of advancing human technology. How it has advanced from the earliest human civilization down through the ages to today. And where it may all lead to.

And she's pointing out that it's not ALL a bed of roses.
I'll give you one specific example to help bolster that argument.
At some point most every nation and terrorist tribe and likely even wealthy individuals with some axe to grind will be in possession of nuclear weapons.
At that point we may find out the Amish had a better perspective on technology than we do.

Exactly my point! No examples given as to what she's talking about.Just vague statements and no subject area.You can talk about hundreds of specific things about technology but she has no specific point to garner a discussion.

I'm trying to engage people to think for themselves. This is something you lack.

Think about what! How can you author a thread and make points on nothing and then say "think for yourself"? Ok-I'm through w/ this deep discussion on what ever it is you didn't reveal.LOL!

I revealed it in the topic title.

let me put it in kindygarden style for you.

technology will be killing us off and the people who have the technology know it. so they are scrambling to create more technology to stop it. which is going to kill us off quicker. And with this knowledge of technology humans have , oh wait, some humans have become more aware of it. Thus the awakening to our surrounding.

If you dont like exploring vast topics that allow you to think on your own, then you should get the hell of this topic.

I am very aware that not many people care for this type of "THINKING"

with that said, Ive always known bob does. because I am observant.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

*Secret_Angel* wrote:
Buttman wrote:
*Secret_Angel* wrote:

couldnt we also find out as we are that genetic engineering of our food source proves to be just as deadly or more so than nuclear?

Couldnt creating all these robots to do our jobs create a society that is non active, unhealthy and dependant and at the flip of a switch something happens to our technology and we are screwed?

as a collective society then, what do you think intelligent people should do to avoid this breakdown which is inevitable? Ignore it and become the next pyramid civilization?

Should the population be weeded back to its orignal concept of survival of the fitest, in our current civilazation that would mean survival of the smartest.
What I think is human civilization and all it's various societies are now so big and complex that it's totally above my pay grade to ever be able to answer that question. And I'm not sure anyone can. And it's scary.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I guess it's just you and me interested in this, Chrissy, since no one else wants to participate. I'm really surprised at that.

Buttman wrote:Here's a quote by one of the smartest men this country has ever produced, Chrissy. I was not aware of it until you got me googling because of putting up this thread...

The rapid progress true science now makes occasions my regretting sometimes that I was born so soon. It is impossible to imagine the Height to which may be carried, in a thousand years, the Power of Man over Matter...Agriculture may diminish its Labour and double its Produce; all Diseases may, by sure means, be prevented or cured, not even excepting that of Old Age, and our Lives lengthened at pleasure even beyond the antediluvian Standard. O that moral Science were in as fair a way of Improvement, that Men would cease to be Wolves to one another, and that human Beings would at length learn what they now improperly call Humanity.

But as smart as he was, he lived too early to be able to conceive of the potential problems those advances in technology could bring. In the 18th Century all he could do was dream about the advantages they would give us. He just didn't have enough to go on at that time.

Maybe you and I should learn a lesson from that. Because by the same token, it's probably just downright impossible for you and me living in the 21st Century to be able to conceive of what the 24th Century will bring.
Whatever we're trying to speculate about it now may not turn out the way we're speculating. Just as it didn't for him.

I see your point.

BUT

as a member of society, being armed with this type of awareness. Wouldnt it be the just thing to do to promote a concious effort to say, we dont want you spending our collective cash looking for new worlds, or modifying our food source with genetic alterations.

and the thing with that is people will die with the halt of some of these things because we have got oursleves in a cunundrum.

I'm being a prodding devils advocate today lol Twisted Evil

Buttman wrote:
*Secret_Angel* wrote:
Buttman wrote:
*Secret_Angel* wrote:

What I think is human civilization and all it's various societies are now so big and complex that it's totally above my pay grade to ever be able to answer that question. And I'm not sure anyone can. And it's scary.

Bob, some people with money are thinking about it. And they have plans.

isnt it kind of our duty to civilization to get the word out?

So those who are strong enough and wise enough to survive will make it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Buttman wrote:

When I commented on this quote before, Chrissy, I very thoughtlessly did not really recognize nor appreciate the part at the end (what I've put in bold text).
With that part he was doing more than just extolling the virtues of science.

Buttman wrote:
Buttman wrote:

When I commented on this quote before, Chrissy, I very thoughtlessly did not really recognize nor appreciate the part at the end (what I've put in bold text).

thats interesting. It seems he was expousing the use of science to create a more humane society. or perhaps I am reading into it.

I wonder if his words or thoughts created any of the ideas of controlling society with the use of science.. hmmm

because when you look at America in a whole which is a country that really benefits from science more than just about any other country, we are pretty placid compared to other countries.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

*Secret_Angel* wrote:
Buttman wrote:
Buttman wrote:

thats interesting. It seems he was expousing the use of science to create a more humane society. or perhaps I am reading into it.

I wonder if his words or thoughts created any of the ideas of controlling society with the use of science.. hmmm

because when you look at America in a whole which is a country that really benefits from science more than just about any other country, we are pretty placid compared to other countries.

Sorry, pal, I'll have to re-join you a little later due to circumstances beyond my control.

Buttman wrote:
*Secret_Angel* wrote:
Buttman wrote:
Buttman wrote:

Sorry, pal, I'll have to re-join you a little later due to circumstances beyond my control.

No problem.

Thanks for participating in this dangling conversation. I love you

Dcat

Dcat

*Secret_Angel* wrote:Since the begining of our current documented history, man has searched for lost civilizations. We study pyramids, decifer ancient languages, carbon date bones and other artifacts.And the data is there, past civilations had certain technologies. Some of it might have been so sophisticated that with even our current technologies we cant figure it out.

It almost appears that our ancesters were so in tune with how civilation rises and falls they were determined to leave us clues that would last thousands of years. To possibly help us avoid another down fall.

Which brings me to my thought of how technology and the insane desire for more technology kills us off. It's a simple thought. Here are a couple of ways that technology has effected us in a negative way.

Technology replaces work/jobs. Creating a population where only the more intelligent will have the needed things to survive. Leaving a huge proportion of the populations dependant upon those who can manage in a world as advanced as this one. This devides humans at the most basic level thus creating crime, envy and wars.

Technology has enabled humans to over populate the planet, therefore creating the need for more higher and dangerous technologies to advance, such as genetic engineering of our food sources and altering just about every single living organism on the planet. In this category it should be included that with this technology, we have also removed the natural order of the death cycle.

Technology has also created a group of people who want to play God. Giving those with this knowledge the ability manipulate just about everything on the planet. Governments, banks and lives.

It is my opinion that the people who pocess the higher tecnologies know that this planet is at a turning point in our current civilations history. I think they have realized the effects of what they intended to do which was to initially use technology to help citizens of the world but instead have altered the natural processes.

This group of handlers now are faced with the issue of how to stop the complete downfall of civilization as we know it. And that means to weed us out. Thus, they are playing God again. It is my opinion that this phase will be the one that sets us quicker to the path where our civilization will be the next generation of pyramids.

We are in the "quickening".

Are you awake?

Ok. Technology is not THE problem. However, management of technology is a problem. Do you not think that we are better off than people who lived prior to the industrial revolution? Would you rather be plowing fields by hand? Or creating hardware with a forge and hammer? In some ways it makes our lives much easier, but then it also creates a dependency on technology. It makes companies more efficient and profitable, but it also replaces jobs. As Bob apply stated, it is a double edged sword. Technology is merely advanced tools for humanity. It's how we utilize those tools...what we do with them...that's important.

NaNook

NaNook

Dcat wrote:
*Secret_Angel* wrote:Since the begining of our current documented history, man has searched for lost civilizations. We study pyramids, decifer ancient languages, carbon date bones and other artifacts.And the data is there, past civilations had certain technologies. Some of it might have been so sophisticated that with even our current technologies we cant figure it out.

It almost appears that our ancesters were so in tune with how civilation rises and falls they were determined to leave us clues that would last thousands of years. To possibly help us avoid another down fall.

Which brings me to my thought of how technology and the insane desire for more technology kills us off. It's a simple thought. Here are a couple of ways that technology has effected us in a negative way.

Technology replaces work/jobs. Creating a population where only the more intelligent will have the needed things to survive. Leaving a huge proportion of the populations dependant upon those who can manage in a world as advanced as this one. This devides humans at the most basic level thus creating crime, envy and wars.

Technology has enabled humans to over populate the planet, therefore creating the need for more higher and dangerous technologies to advance, such as genetic engineering of our food sources and altering just about every single living organism on the planet. In this category it should be included that with this technology, we have also removed the natural order of the death cycle.

Technology has also created a group of people who want to play God. Giving those with this knowledge the ability manipulate just about everything on the planet. Governments, banks and lives.

It is my opinion that the people who pocess the higher tecnologies know that this planet is at a turning point in our current civilations history. I think they have realized the effects of what they intended to do which was to initially use technology to help citizens of the world but instead have altered the natural processes.

This group of handlers now are faced with the issue of how to stop the complete downfall of civilization as we know it. And that means to weed us out. Thus, they are playing God again. It is my opinion that this phase will be the one that sets us quicker to the path where our civilization will be the next generation of pyramids.

We are in the "quickening".

Are you awake?

Ok. Technology is not THE problem. However, management of technology is a problem. Do you not think that we are better off than people who lived prior to the industrial revolution? Would you rather be plowing fields by hand? Or creating hardware with a forge and hammer? In some ways it makes our lives much easier, but then it also creates a dependency on technology. It makes companies more efficient and profitable, but it also replaces jobs. As Bob apply stated, it is a double edged sword. Technology is merely advanced tools for humanity. It's how we utilize those tools...what we do with them...that's important.

In my view, the problem is the workers don't invest in the new tech. People buy new tech products when they come out. Buy the stock....

If you want to buy the new 100" flat screen TV, go for it. It will cost 5k today, 3.5k next year, 2k the following year, 1.5k in year 4.

The premium for technology advancement is job loss. Ask the switch-board operators at T.

I'm not in the blame game, period. Don't worry about the future, regardless of your age, you'll only see nano-seconds of it.

I have been thinking about this for a while now. And upon starting this subject, thought some more about it and was given good thoughts on it so far.

It made me think perhaps civilization is suppose to rise and fall. Maybe that IS the natural order of things.

I mean after all, people are alive, they leave thier seeds, die and become compost and thier seeds continue on.

same with plants, they live, leave thier seeds, die and become compost and thier seeds live on.

Technology will make us weaker but smarter and we will become disassociated from the natural things our ancestors started out with, that thiers also started out with and so on.

I imagine at some point along the line someone will create something that was suppose to be good, you know good for man kind that will eventually kill most of us off and we will start over.

I wonder what this civilizations pyramids will look like. And will we leave a hidden message for the next generations to decifer.

Not that it matters, but I think that what got me to start thinking about this was something I read about all books were going to be electronic in the future. And I said to myself, what if for many years, all of our intelect is put into electronic format and then something happened to where we could no longer access it.

I'll stop rambling now.

I often bore myself with these never ending wont stop in my head conundrums Neutral

sorry

43Technology is our problem. A editorial by me - Page 2 Empty Thoughts 8/4/2012, 6:41 pm

Slicef18

Slicef18

First, The Amish do not reject technology. They use all technological advances that man has come to use. That is up until the early 20th century when the Amish froze their lifestyle in time. They use the horse and all implements designed to be powered by that noble beast of burden, the horse. And as much as we may admire their self-sufficiency, that too is being eroded away as their youth want more of this technology we take for granted. Let me say, the Amish and Mennonite people use such self restraint in their day to day living, they are the only group of people that can buy a farm for $500,000 and pay cash for it.
As to the question, "What will things look like in the 24th century." We will have further development of the computers designing computers. As we work towards computers being autonomous we may one day awake to having completed that goal and allowed the beast to develop the perfect beast that sees it's own growth as more important than our petty needs. All that would be required is to shut down the human's power grids. That is why there should always be a plug to unplug away from the mainframe.
We do have a growing but innocent asset. That is the children of the world. Because of computers and it magical draw to children, all children in all countries essentially speak the same language when using a keyboard. Also, a computer can only function within the parameters that it has been programed to understand. Humans however are capable of taking a problem they've never seen or experienced and solve it.

*Secret_Angel* wrote:I have been thinking about this for a while now. And upon starting this subject, thought some more about it and was given good thoughts on it so far.

It made me think perhaps civilization is suppose to rise and fall. Maybe that IS the natural order of things.

I mean after all, people are alive, they leave thier seeds, die and become compost and thier seeds continue on.

same with plants, they live, leave thier seeds, die and become compost and thier seeds live on.

Technology will make us weaker but smarter and we will become disassociated from the natural things our ancestors started out with, that thiers also started out with and so on.

I imagine at some point along the line someone will create something that was suppose to be good, you know good for man kind that will eventually kill most of us off and we will start over.

I wonder what this civilizations pyramids will look like. And will we leave a hidden message for the next generations to decifer.

Not that it matters, but I think that what got me to start thinking about this was something I read about all books were going to be electronic in the future. And I said to myself, what if for many years, all of our intelect is put into electronic format and then something happened to where we could no longer access it.

I'll stop rambling now.

I often bore myself with these never ending wont stop in my head conundrums Neutral

sorry

Technology has enabled us to live longer and cure diseases many died of many years ago. Robotic surgery is more exact and less injurious than the human hand. Radiation kills cancer cells.I could go on and on what the advances of technology has done for us.We are smarter,healthier and live more convenient lives because of technology.

You really bought the advertisement didn't you?

http://www.naturalnews.com/001543.html

This is yet more evidence showing how dangerous it is to be in a hospital.
I've often stated that a hospital is the most dangerous place to be,
and 195,000 people each year would no doubt agree with that statement.
So what's causing all of these deaths in the first place? They are typically being caused by inadequate care by health care personnel, such as ignoring bedsores, or by complications from surgical procedures such as post-operative sepsis or infections that result in death.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/001543.html#ixzz22ceQUdzx

[quote="skankymoranky
[/quote]

Technology has enabled us to live longer and cure diseases many died of many years ago. Robotic surgery is more exact and less injurious than the human hand. Radiation kills cancer cells.I could go on and on what the advances of technology has done for us.We are smarter,healthier and live more convenient lives because of technology.[/quote]

and I'd be the first one to agree with you about that. Ive said I love technology.

But I'm trying to look at a bigger future picture here.

so now weve cured everything, people live very long lives. robots do everything for us. Now what?

There are consequinces to every thing we do. Sometimes we do not see them till they are upon us.

*Secret_Angel* wrote:[quote="skankymoranky

Technology has enabled us to live longer and cure diseases many died of many years ago. Robotic surgery is more exact and less injurious than the human hand. Radiation kills cancer cells.I could go on and on what the advances of technology has done for us.We are smarter,healthier and live more convenient lives because of technology.[/quote]

and I'd be the first one to agree with you about that. Ive said I love technology.

so now weve cured everything, people live very long lives. robots do everything for us. Now what?

There are consequinces to every thing we do. Sometimes we do not see them till they are upon us. [/quote]

But we haven't cured everything and we have far to go in helping people.What are the consequences of making life better for all humans?

skankymoranky wrote:
*Secret_Angel* wrote:[quote="skankymoranky

Technology has enabled us to live longer and cure diseases many died of many years ago. Robotic surgery is more exact and less injurious than the human hand. Radiation kills cancer cells.I could go on and on what the advances of technology has done for us.We are smarter,healthier and live more convenient lives because of technology.

There are consequinces to every thing we do. Sometimes we do not see them till they are upon us. [/quote]

But we haven't cured everything and we have far to go in helping people.What are the consequences of making life better for all humans?[/quote]

Your aproaching this from a micro angle.

The consequences is over population, which we already have. The consequences is that we use more science to contaminate our food source to feed this over populated world. And because of a over populated world and the fact that technology has taken away jobs for people to provide for themselves, it gives rise to groups of individuals to play God. Therefore leading to our delayed destruction.

I dont want to limit the conversation to just health sciences(micro topic)

and I need to make myself clear here before someone jumps off a cliff. Because I am exploring the consequences of health sciences here with my answer to SKANKY, does not mean I dont support health sciences, because we all know how I feel about that.

Slicef18 wrote:First, The Amish do not reject technology. They use all technological advances that man has come to use. That is up until the early 20th century when the Amish froze their lifestyle in time. They use the horse and all implements designed to be powered by that noble beast of burden, the horse. And as much as we may admire their self-sufficiency, that too is being eroded away as their youth want more of this technology we take for granted. Let me say, the Amish and Mennonite people use such self restraint in their day to day living, they are the only group of people that can buy a farm for $500,000 and pay cash for it.
As to the question, "What will things look like in the 24th century." We will have further development of the computers designing computers. As we work towards computers being autonomous we may one day awake to having completed that goal and allowed the beast to develop the perfect beast that sees it's own growth as more important than our petty needs. All that would be required is to shut down the human's power grids. That is why there should always be a plug to unplug away from the mainframe.
We do have a growing but innocent asset. That is the children of the world. Because of computers and it magical draw to children, all children in all countries essentially speak the same language when using a keyboard. Also, a computer can only function within the parameters that it has been programed to understand. Humans however are capable of taking a problem they've never seen or experienced and solve it.

I must ask this before I jump off this topic for a bit.

How many people do you think will populate this planet in the 24th century?

The BEST technology EVER invented was the flush toilet and the sewer system....this has saved more lives from early termination than all the doctors ever lived have.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum