Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Exxon Doesn't Want You To Worry About Tar Sand Oil

+2
2seaoat
Wordslinger
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Not one major TV news program has spent even a minute the last five days on the Exxon Pegasus Oil Line blowout in Mayflower, Arkansas.

Three guesses what makes this explosive environmental issue un-newsworthy? 1. Nobody cares about a few people who live in Arkansas. 2. Oil spills happen so often they're no longer interesting. 3. With the illegal aid of County, State and the Federal Government, reporters are not allowed into or even over the spill zone.

If you guessed 1. or 2. you just missed Rush Limbaugh's coming-out on the air.

So what's on Page One? Korea threatens the universe with total destruction, Republicans veto life, Will absolutely, definitely, completely, incredibly soft gun control legislation warrant a senate filibuster?

Fact: some 40 people were forced to leave their homes by Exxon's pipeline blowout, no medical tests have yet been conducted on any of them to see if the toxins prevalent in tar sand oil have already doomed their livers, or whatever. The spill is entering the local wetlands and has already invaded a nearby lake. And if that isn't frightening enough, consider that your elected government is willfully aiding Exxon by promising to arrest anyone who trespasses into the spill zone as defined by Exxon, or anyone who even flies over the same zone.

It's good to know your enemies.

Last edited by Wordslinger on 4/11/2013, 1:08 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : My english teacher)

2seaoat

It's good to know your enemies.

I suggest we all look in the mirror to find that enemy. What have each of us done to lower the demand for oil. Do you drive a car? Do you have air conditioning. Do you heat your home? Do you use any plastic products? Do you take medicines? Do you grow your own food, or do you purchase food at the local market?

Ethanol was the product created by the farm lobby to get off that Icky oil. It was relatively clean, but guess what......a flood in Rockford Illinois on father day weekend 2010 caused a rail culvert to blow out and a 54 tanker car train derailed dumping "clean" ethanol into local streams and eventually people were killed by fire as they waited at crossings, and the largest fish kill in Illinois history happened.......yet we are getting our panties in a wad over the failure of a pipeline which is much safer by volume than rail transport. Also, for almost 6 years the first phase of the dirty pipeline has been completed and pumping that dirty oil.......and where were all the critics........no spills....no awareness.......honey, could you turn the air conditioner down a little bit, my lazy boy is getting a little warm, oh....could you recycle this plastic from my Mac Big Breakfast, and take the car over to get the oil changed.....yep.....the answer is in the mirror.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

2seaoat wrote:It's good to know your enemies.

I suggest we all look in the mirror to find that enemy. What have each of us done to lower the demand for oil. Do you drive a car? Do you have air conditioning. Do you heat your home? Do you use any plastic products? Do you take medicines? Do you grow your own food, or do you purchase food at the local market?

Ethanol was the product created by the farm lobby to get off that Icky oil. It was relatively clean, but guess what......a flood in Rockford Illinois on father day weekend 2010 caused a rail culvert to blow out and a 54 tanker car train derailed dumping "clean" ethanol into local streams and eventually people were killed by fire as they waited at crossings, and the largest fish kill in Illinois history happened.......yet we are getting our panties in a wad over the failure of a pipeline which is much safer by volume than rail transport. Also, for almost 6 years the first phase of the dirty pipeline has been completed and pumping that dirty oil.......and where were all the critics........no spills....no awareness.......honey, could you turn the air conditioner down a little bit, my lazy boy is getting a little warm, oh....could you recycle this plastic from my Mac Big Breakfast, and take the car over to get the oil changed.....yep.....the answer is in the mirror.

Your argument is that since we need oil and oil products, we are guilty of the oil pipeline blowout in Arkansas, and for Exxon and the government to illegally deny access to the spill site by legitimate reporters. You're dead wrong. My argument isn't a protest against oil or oil transport -- it's against letting Exxon deny our free press access to the spill site. I guess though, freedom of the press isn't one of the rights you care much about ....

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Luckily, there is a move afoot in Congress to remove corn-based ethanol as a renewable fuel standard:

http://www.ogj.com/articles/2013/04/bill-due-to-remove-corn-ethanol-from-rfs.html?cmpid=EnlDailyApril112013

We should not be putting food in our fuel tanks.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

Your argument is that since we need oil and oil products, we are guilty of the oil pipeline blowout in Arkansas, and for Exxon and the government to illegally deny access to the spill site by legitimate reporters. You're dead wrong. My argument isn't a protest against oil or oil transport -- it's against letting Exxon deny our free press access to the spill site. I guess though, freedom of the press isn't one of the rights you care much about ....

Well, I was not really making that argument.....but I will tell you this. A home I lived in had a 36 inch 300 lb per square inch interstate natural gas pipeline 40 feet from my house as an easement crossed my backyard. If that pipe failed, I would not explode.....I would simply suffocate......and when the gas hit a point of ignition.....would vaporize. You think restricting access to an oil spill where pools of oil have spilled across a large area is a restriction against our free press access..........I burn brush and and downed trees with old motor oil.....and folks who think oil is less volatile than gas have never seen what oil does at the combustion point. I might suggest that there might have been legitimate safety concerns which had precedent over folks with pretty teeth and microphones standing in the oil as a camera sent out its video......think about it a little bit.....and tell me your thoughts.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Luckily, only 20% of that "dirty oil" in the tar sands can be recovered by mining. The remaining 80% will be recovered using in-situ technologies where the bitumen is heated in the ground to make it viscous, and then pumped to the surface. There are 173 billion barrels of recoverable hydrocarbons in the Athabasca oil sands in Alberta, and the Canadians will likely go after every bit of it.

In other news, because of advanced technologies, U.S. oil production is set to rise annually for the next 20 or so years as oil found in previously un-exploitable tight-shale formations is tapped. By 2030, Saudi Arabia will be a net oil-importer, and the U.S. will be producing 12-million barrels per day.

At the same time, we will be exploiting vast shale-gas reserves, which will keep natural gas prices so low that mass transportation entities are starting to switch from diesel to CNG to power fleets. The BNSF railroad, which is the second largest user of diesel in the U.S., after the U.S. Navy, is considering switching its trains to run on gas.

2seaoat

The Picken's plan is going to become a reality. I saw new transmission lines in the Panhandle of Texas last month, and wind turbines popping up like wildflowers on a spring day. We are making amazing transitions, and for all those potential environmental risks of improved fracking......the productivity out of old wells has been mind boggling and is changing the face of Americas mid term economic future.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Electricity is liberal. Oil is conservative. And since the liberal politicians have inadvertently turned electricity into a dirty word, oil wins. Game over (at least for the foreseeable future).

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote: wind turbines popping up like wildflowers on a spring day.

You may not have seen Donald Trump on Fox News last week (Van Sustern).
His preaching agin the windmills was like watching Oral Roberts preach agin the devil.

And now it seems he's launched a Twitter crusade against them...

Donald Trump, a man best known for possessing both hair and bigotry that defy the laws of physics, also really hates wind turbines. Why? Partly because he’s a fringy right wing ideologue who thinks that ‘green energy’ is synonymous with the October Revolution. But mostly because a couple wind turbines are visible from a golf course he built in Scotland, which he feels will “be destroyed by having [these] monstrosities looming over it.”

Exxon Doesn't Want You To Worry About Tar Sand Oil A38a94fba0a6cfdab145999d3130102e_vice_630x420

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/donald-trump-s-twitter-crusade-against-wind-power-is-predictably-and-hilariously-dumb--2

2seaoat

Electricity is liberal. Oil is conservative. And since the liberal politicians have inadvertently turned electricity into a dirty word, oil wins. Game over (at least for the foreseeable future).

Robert.....shame on you(in my best motherly tone)....I do not drink anymore, and unless I was drinking.....well I simply do not understand what you just posted.......I have been looking for a blender to mimic those young kids.....but damn if it means losing some teeth to understand your posts.....I give up.

2seaoat

Wind turbines are brilliant. They are booming to the point local zoning boards are having all out wars...with the nays and yeas. The average farmer is getting up to 10k a year on one turbine, and as little as 5k on some of the earlier leases. School districts are reaping huge increased assessments where in the middle of cornfields huge increased accessed values pop up in cornfields. Power companies are shutting down the old coal fired plants as even the natural gas peaker plants are becoming more competitive......people could not have predicted natural gas and wind so quickly changing the face of energy in America......as to Donald Trump.....I have made my opinion known for years about his view of the world.....it is simply to create stupid controversy so as to keep the spotlight on him as his entertainment cash flow keeps his real estate house of cards upright......he is a fool.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Electricity is liberal. Oil is conservative. And since the liberal politicians have inadvertently turned electricity into a dirty word, oil wins. Game over (at least for the foreseeable future).

Robert.....shame on you(in my best motherly tone)....I do not drink anymore, and unless I was drinking.....well I simply do not understand what you just posted.......I have been looking for a blender to mimic those young kids.....but damn if it means losing some teeth to understand your posts.....I give up.

Watch this clip from Fox and Friends (scroll down the page and play the video). And don't dismiss the influence of it because Fox and Friends has many more viewers than Joe Scarborough does.
What Obama has done to solar power will be evident by watching this.
This woman is now actually saying solar power will never work here because we don't have enough sunlight. lol
BUT she and Douche and the other chick are pushing natural gas only because Obama is not. But if Obama gets on the natural gas bandwagon too, then all three will be changing their tune and turn agin natural gas so quick it will make Trump's hair stand on end. I bet T. Boone Pickens is praying that Obama hasn't ever heard of natural gas. lol

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/02/07/fox_news_expert_on_solar_energy_germany_gets_a_lot_more_sun_than_we_do_video.html

2seaoat

You mean Germany does not have more Sun?.......nobody called her out on those comments. The interviews are scripted,and when a guest gets off script.....they quickly shut that guest off. Better than Germany having more sun, was the reason it works in Germany is because Germany is.........a smaller country.......again absolute non stop non sequitur dialogue and no correction as this crap pumps out into the fallow minds of young geese following Konrad Lorenz as he imprints on their minds some reality which is perverse and easily sold.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

From that same page...

According to maps put out by the U.S. Department of Energy's National Renewable Energy Laboratory, virtually the entirety of the continental United States gets more sun than even the sunniest part of Germany. In fact, NREL senior scientist Sarah Kurtz said via email, "Germany's solar resource is akin to Alaska's," the U.S. state with by far the lowest annual average of direct solar energy.

But Fox News will never correct what the woman said. Well maybe one thing could cause them to correct that. That would be if Obama came out said he didn't like solar power anymore. That's when everybody on Fox News would immediately become cheerleaders for solar power. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The truth of what Germany is doing is so at odds with what millions were told by that Fox newsbunny, that it would be laughably funny if it wasn't so sad.
Read this...

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/alternative_energy/2013/03/solar_power_in_germany_how_a_cloudy_country_became_the_world_leader_in_solar.html

But the other truth is that the German government apparently has a lot more competent people in it than we have in our government.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

Luckily, there is a move afoot in Congress to remove corn-based ethanol as a renewable fuel standard:

http://www.ogj.com/articles/2013/04/bill-due-to-remove-corn-ethanol-from-rfs.html?cmpid=EnlDailyApril112013

We should not be putting food in our fuel tanks.

Agreed. And ethanol is not an efficient fuel, besides the fact that it's detracting from the food supply. Before it goes, however, I'd like to see all the GM corn made into ethanol...and then banned forever.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

2seaoat wrote:The Picken's plan is going to become a reality. I saw new transmission lines in the Panhandle of Texas last month, and wind turbines popping up like wildflowers on a spring day. We are making amazing transitions, and for all those potential environmental risks of improved fracking......the productivity out of old wells has been mind boggling and is changing the face of Americas mid term economic future.

Absolutely, but solar is going to eclipse wind in just a few years. There are disruptive solar technologies afoot that will change the way electricity is generated in just a few short years.

http://cleantechnica.com/2011/05/29/ge-solar-power-cheaper-than-fossil-fuels-in-5-years/

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/03/absolute-black-solar-panels-absorb-almost-all-sunlight/

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
2seaoat wrote:The Picken's plan is going to become a reality. I saw new transmission lines in the Panhandle of Texas last month, and wind turbines popping up like wildflowers on a spring day. We are making amazing transitions, and for all those potential environmental risks of improved fracking......the productivity out of old wells has been mind boggling and is changing the face of Americas mid term economic future.

Absolutely, but solar is going to eclipse wind in just a few years. There are disruptive solar technologies afoot that will change the way electricity is generated in just a few short years.

http://cleantechnica.com/2011/05/29/ge-solar-power-cheaper-than-fossil-fuels-in-5-years/

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/03/absolute-black-solar-panels-absorb-almost-all-sunlight/

We have been promised this for how many decades now?

My guess is that had government money stayed OUT, we'd have had it many years ago.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Markle wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

We have been promised this for how many decades now?

My guess is that had government money stayed OUT, we'd have had it many years ago.

Your guess would be wrong, as usual.

http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/143907-cheap-graphene-based-solar-cells

"Today’s solar cells are usually made out of silicon that is too expensive to be cost-effective for the everyday consumer because highly purified, turned into crystal, then sliced thin. Because of the cost, researchers have been looking for affordable alternatives, settling on indium tin oxide used inside hybrid or nanostructured solar cells. Though indium tin oxide is becoming more prevalent — it’s used in items likes smartphone touch screens — the indium is still quite expensive. However, by creating a solar cell using everyone’s favorite wonder material, graphene, MIT scientists might have found a cheaper and more malleable alternative to indium tin oxide..."

sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum